Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter picks up in the afternoon after where our last chapter left off.
Chapter 09: Decisions

“Father?” Harry asked.

“Yes, William?” Severus replied.

“I’ve decided where I want to go to school.”

“Really? And where might that be, William?” Severus asked, praying that his son said Great Lakes Magical Academy.

“I would like to go to Hogwarts,” Harry said, nervously waiting to see his dad’s reaction.

For his part, Severus appeared more composed than he really was. His jaw dropped, his eyes bulged, and he was speechless at first. On the inside, he was panicking, knowing that Lily would be sending their other son to Hogwarts, where she herself taught.

Finally finding his voice, Severus said, “I thought you were leaning towards going to Great Lakes, William. At least, that is what you had been saying before you went to Quidditch camp.”

“Well, some of the boys I bunked with at camp are on the Hogwarts admission list or already attend Hogwarts. Also, I wanted to go where you went, Father.”

“Well, fine, I suppose it will be alright for you to attend Hogwarts. We will need to send off an international owl to reply with your acceptance,” Severus said, trying to figure out a way to hide the fact that his son was a twin and the two would be going to school together.

“I will go write the letter, then,” Harry said.

“Yes, yes. Do that, William,” Severus said distractedly.

Harry headed off to his room to write his acceptance letter, and to call William on the mirrors to let him know he would be going to Hogwarts.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond, William was just returning from playing with Neville and Dudley. As he walked down his street, he saw a limo with the Potter family crest on the sides parked in his drive. “What is going on here?” he thought.

He walked up the drive into the house Harry and his mother lived in. He heard voices coming from the living room, and went to the door to listen in.

“Lily, I would really love it if you would go with me to supper tonight,” a males voice said.

William heard his mother giggle, which seemed rather unusual. Lily spoke in a breathy voice reminiscent of a teenaged girl, “I would love to, James. Where are we going?”

“My family owns this little restaurant in Venice. I have a Portkey that will take us there at 8:00 and back whenever. Next time, since you will know where it is, you will be able to Apparate there.”

“Okay, James. I will be ready by 7:45,” Lily giggled again.

William quickly composed himself from the shock he was in, and ran up to his room before his mother or James Potter could find him eavesdropping on them.

Just as he walked into his room, William saw his mirror light up, so he threw up the wards agreed upon with his brother and went over to answer the call.

“William here,” he said.

“William, I sent in your acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Dad seemed shocked that I said Hogwarts, because you evidentially had been talking about Great Lakes?” Harry said.

“Yeah, I had been,” William said, “but I would really rather go to Hogwarts now that I know you will be going there. Now that I know you exist, really. I bet he is nervous about the two of us 'discovering' each other when we start, and doesn’t know how to admit he had been lying to me for most of my life about being an only child.”

“Well, that makes sense. I wonder how Mum will take it when she finds out that she will be teaching both of her sons come the 1st,” Harry pondered.

“I am glad you mentioned Mom. I have some big news that requires immediate attention. I think she is under the affects of some kind of love potion or charm. She was giggling and talking like a love-struck teenager a few minutes ago when, of all people, James Potter asked her to go to supper with him!”

“Oh... My... God! What did she say?” Harry asked.

“She said yes, she would love to. They are going to supper at a Potter family restaurant in Venice tonight at eight. I think it is time to fully implement our plan,” William said urgently.

“Alright. I will do so right away on my end.”

“Your best bet would be to let Blinky know who you are, and have him slip a Calming Draught into Father’s soup... no, that would never work. He is a Potions Master and can detect almost any potion, especially such a basic one. At least have Blinky have one ready for when you tell him at supper tonight.”

“All right. I will,” Harry said. “I better go... the monitor charm just went off.”

“Love you, brother, and Godspeed!” William said.

Harry hung up his mirror and waved his wand quickly to change his clothing and deodorize himself before taking the wards down. Walking over to the door, he opened it to find his father on the other side.

“William, what were you doing that required you to ward your room?” Severus inquired, suspicion evident in his voice.

“I was changing clothes, because I got rather dirty playing in the yard,” Harry said.

“Well, William, Blinky has an early supper ready for us. We are going to have to go early to the airport to catch an International Portkey in the morning. We are going to Diagon Alley in London to get your school supplies.”

“I’ll be down momentarily, Father,” Harry said.

Severus nodded and walked back downstairs. As soon as his father was out of hearing range, Harry said, “Blinky!”

The little house-elf popped into his room, and said, “Yes, Young Master?”

“Blinky, I have something to tell you. I am not William Snape. I am his twin brother, Harry Evans. I need you to have a calming draught ready for when I tell Father which twin I actually am.”

“Yes, Young Master, Blinky will. Thank you for trusting Blinky with this information and mission.” Blinky popped back out of the room, and Harry started down the stairs.

“That was a wonderful supper, Blinky,” Severus told his elf when he and his son had finished eating.

“Thank you, Master Snape, for your most kind words. Blinky always wants the best for his Master and his son,” Blinky said, bouncing nervously on the balls of his feet.

“Father, I have something really important to talk to you about,” Harry said.

“Yes, William?” Severus said, wondering what else his son could want. After all, ‘William’ had convinced him to allow the boy to change from his traditional bikini briefs and V-neck t-shirts to boxers and ‘wife-beaters’, convinced Severus to allow him to go to Hogwarts, and was getting to go to Diagon Alley the following day.

“Father, I am not William,” Harry stated simply.

“How could you not be William, silly? I know my own son,” Severus said laughingly.

“I am your son. I am just not William. I am Harry,” Harry said.

Once Harry’s words sunk in, Severus paled and he fainted.