Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 15: A Father-Son Talk
Orrville, OH
08h00 EDT

"Harry!" Severus said as he knocked on his son's bedroom door.

"Yeah, Dad?" Harry replied, walking over and opening the door.

"Mind if I come in a minute?" Severus asked.

"C'mon in. It is your house, after all," Harry said cheekily.

Severus stepped into Harry's room and said, "You know, over the last nine years, I have seen this room change from a nursery to a toddler's room to a young boy's room. It was always slow to change, though, as were William's tastes in décor.

"This summer when you came back from camp in William's place, you shocked me in more ways than one. New paint on the walls - I still can't believe you picked purple, of all colours! Well, at least it wasn't pink! - new artwork, asking for new clothes. All changes I wasn't expecting. By the way, does William know you changed his underwear out for boxers and A-shirts, or is it meant to be a surprise for him? For that matter, does he even want to wear boxers and A-shirts or are you pranking him?"

"No, I am not pranking him. He was upset with me for making him switch over to them, but he has gotten used to the idea. If he were to go to Hogwarts wearing those... things he called underwear, he would have been teased mercilessly. Before you ask, he really does want to go to Hogwarts," Harry explained in a rush.

"Alright, fair enough," Severus said. "My point, though, is that you, and by proxy William, are becoming young men, and I didn't see it before now. You both are capable of making some of your own decisions and such. I am grateful that I have got to spend this time with you, however briefly. At the same time, however, I am upset with you two for choosing to prank your mother and myself like this!"

"I am sorry, Dad, but this is the only way that we could think of to get to meet our other parent!" Harry said. "Especially since you wouldn't tell William anything about Mum, and Mum wouldn't tell me about you. Also, neither of you told either of us about each other! I thought I was an only child whose father didn't want him, and William thought the same, only about his mother."

"Well," Severus said emotionally. He cleared his throat in an Umbridge-ish manner before continuing, "We do have a 9a Portkey to catch, so please tell me your stuff is ready!"

"Blinky has already taken it downstairs with yours," Harry said. He choked up a bit as he said, "I'm gonna miss you, Dad!"

"I'll miss you, too, son. Now that you and William know about each other, your mother and I will work something out so you boys get to see each other. You will get to see both your parents, as well."

"I'd really like that, Dad. I just wish you and Mum would get back together," Harry said, tears flowing freely down his face.

"Legally, we are separated, as your mother didn't support my idea of leaving Britain after the war," Severus said. "I have never stopped loving your mother, but apparently she stopped loving me the minute James Bloody Potter stepped back into her life."

"She has hated James Potter for as long as I can remember, and the only way she would change her mind about him is if he has slipped her a potion or put her under the Imperious curse," Harry said.

"We'll see about that later today, Harry. Let's get some breakfast or lunch as it were, seeing as it will be afternoon when we get there."

"Okay, Dad," Harry said, struggling to get his emotions under control.

Severus put his arm around his preteen son's shoulder and they walked out of Harry's bedroom for the last time together.