Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

The next couple of weeks flew by quickly. Before long, Merlin Cabin was celebrating Neville and Harry's birthdays. Since they were born only a day apart and lived next door to each other their whole lives, they always celebrated their birthdays on the same day.

"It seems weird to not have Dud here at our party, dunnit, Harry?" Neville idly commented. "This is the first time I can remember that our birthday wasn't spent with Mum and Dad, Aunt Lily, Aunt Tunie, and the rest of the family."

"Yeah, it is weird," Harry said. All of a sudden, there was a loud thump and an "Ow!" heard from right outside the cabin.

All of the boys ran over to the door and piled out to find out what happened. When they stepped outside, they found William Snape, Gregory Goyle, and another boy they knew by face, but not by name laying on the ground in a heap, a ladder leaning against the side of the cabin. It was obvious that they were spying on Merlin Cabin, probably trying to see if they had any strategy plans in the works for Quidditch.

"What in Merlin's name are you boys doing out here?" Charlie asked them. "All you had to do is knock on the door if you wanted to see us."

"It's none of your business what we were trying to do. C'mon, Goyle, Chamberlain, let's get outta here," William said.

"Hold on a minute. Would you guys want to join us for some cake? We are celebrating Nev's and my birthdays," Harry asked, earning an odd look from Neville.

"I guess I could," William said. "As long as it is made with soymilk and not served with ice cream. I am ---"

"Lactose intolerant. Yeah, so am I," Harry interrupted. "Come on in."

They all went in and divvied up the cake. Luckily, it was large enough that the three extra people didn't matter.

*~*~*~*

A couple of hours later, after having eaten the cake and drunk pitchers of pumpkin juice, the boys were all settled down playing Exploding Snap and chit-chatting.

"So, it's both you and Neville's birthdays today?" William inquired.

"No, it's Neville's today. Mine is tomorrow, but we grew up together, and celebrate our birthdays together," Harry said.

"We alternate days from year to year. Last year, we celebrated it on Harry's birthday, and this year on mine," Neville added.

"Hmm. You wanna know something odd? My birthday is tomorrow, too. I'll be eleven," William said.

"Hmm..." Neville murmured, thinking, 'Another anomaly. I wonder...'

"Harry, did you ever ask Aunt Lily what your father's name was?"

"No. Every time I mentioned my father, Mum got this odd look on her face. Sorta like she was both sad and mad at the same time, y'know?" Harry replied.

"What about you, William? Do you know your mother's name?" Neville asked.

"No, I don't. I know is that she is a Muggleborn and lives in the UK. All I have of hers is this locket which has a picture of her on one side and me on the other," William replied.

"May we see it, please?" Ron asked timidly.

"Sure," he said. He reached up and unclasped the chain holding the locket around his neck before opening the locket and holding it out for Ron to take.

"Bloody hell!" Ron exclaimed, paling drastically.

"What's the matter, Ron?" Neville and Harry asked at the same time, while Charlie looked over in concern at his little brother. Ron just held out the locket, and Harry and Neville looked at the picture in it before paling themselves.

"Where did you get this picture again?" Harry croaked.

"My mother gave this to me when I was born. I have never seen her, except in this picture. Why do you ask?" William said, somewhat perturbed by the Britons' reactions.

Harry shakily reached up and unlatched the chain from around his neck, opened the locket on it, and held it out for William. When William took a look at the picture in the locket, his eyes promptly rolled back in his head and he fainted.