Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

“Harry… I have an idea!” William blurted out, sitting up in his hammock before it tipped him over onto the ground.

“What’s your idea?” Harry asked, chuckling as he went to help William up from the ground where he landed.

“There was this Muggle book I read once, The Doppelgangers , who were in the same situation as us. Well, almost the same situation. Their parents sent them to the same boarding school or something, but when they went home, they each went to the other parent and spent time with the other parent. Maybe we could try and pull the same thing. After all, we don’t want all those lessons with the Weasley twins to go to waste, do we?”

“Nope. I’m all for it, but how will we pull it off? I mean, I live in England, and you live in some Amish village…”

“Orrville, Ohio,” interjected William.

“Yes, yes, Orrville. You speak English and Pennsylvania Dutch, while I speak English, French, and Latin. You live like the Amish, I was raised Roman Catholic. You were raised simplistically, while I have lived in the lap of luxury. We may be twins, but our personalities and backgrounds are nothing alike.”

“Well, we have two weeks before we go home. Let’s see what we can do. I’ll teach you the Amish way of life, and you can teach me the rich, luxurious Roman Catholic life. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” Harry responded, sticking out his hand.

They shook hands, and got down to work.

~*~*~*~*~

The night is always darkest just before the dawn, so if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it. On the other hand, it's also a fantastic time for plotting out the best way to fool your parents. The twins spent the last two weeks perfecting each other’s personalities and habits, as well as how to plot what would happen later this morning.

“Alright, Harry, when we get to the airport, the Floo address to get you back to Orrville is “James Cox”, which will take you to Dayton International Airport’s Floo Station. Father will be waiting for you by the barrier to the Muggle side of the airport. You like…?”

“Playing with the neighbourhood children, brewing potions, especially prank ones, and reading Muggle novels.”

“Exactly. Always call dad Father, and remember, the area is an Amish community. There are no background noises of television, vehicles, or whatnot to drown out noise, so try not to blow up the lab or talk about magic outside of the wards that dad has set up. We do have a private Floo, but that is only used to get to the next large city, which is Columbus.”

“Alright already. I know about that. Now your turn to get the third degree. At the airport, there will be a house-elf named Dobby waiting for you. He will pop your luggage back home. Remember, he will think you are Harry Evans, and you are his best human friend. His only true human friend, really, but none-the-less, treat him like you would your best friend ever. The Floo address is Heathrow Airport. When you get there, Mum will be waiting. You live down the street from Mum’s sister, Petunia Dursley, and Aunt Petunia’s husband, Vernon Dursley, and their child, our cousin, Dudley. Mum works as a professor at Hogwarts, teaching Charms. Our next door neighbours are the Longbottoms, Neville’s family. You are best friends with Neville and Dudley. You like…?”

“Playing soccer, which is called football in England. The head of government is Queen Elizabeth II, in figure only, and the head of state is Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. And since we live in a Muggle neighbourhood, we drive Muggle motorcars instead of horse-drawn carriages, and it is on the left side of the road.”

“Exactly, and if you must write something, remember the British spelling is slightly different than US usage. The words “neighbour”, “colour”, etc., that is spelled with an –or ending, is usually spelled with an –our. Also, football will always mean soccer, and lorry means bus. We have a telly, a phone, and all Muggle appliances and such, since it is in a Muggle area. The toilet does NOT have a self-rising seat, and is not self-flushing, so remember to do those for yourself. Mum makes us clean our own room, and it has a single bed and set of bunk beds, because Nev and Dud stay over a lot. Their rooms are the same way as ours. Petunia is called Aunt Petunia, and Vernon is Uncle V. We call Nev’s parents Aunt Alice and Uncle Frank. Our grandfather lives with us…”

“What do we call him?” William asked.

“Grandfather,” Harry said simply. “Are you all set to go? The busses are here.”

“Yeah, I am ready to go,” William replied

“Tally-ho, dear brother. Remember, ask about Dad when you get to England. And I will ask about Mum,” Harry said, picking up William’s trunk.

“Aye aye, brother,” William saluted as he picked up Harry’s trunk.

They loaded the busses, and were off to start… Project Parent Trap.