Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Phil helps out Harry by giving Rita a piece of his mind, among other things . . .and Harry and Katie finally confront each other. Sparks will fly!
Something to Talk About
 "Let me get this straight. This Rita Skeeter, gossip monger, wrote an article in the paper about you throwing Katie over for your best friend's sister and also used photos of you and her kissing to give evidence to her fabricated story?" Phil elaborated over dinner that same night.

"Pretty much." Harry said glumly. "But I didn't kiss Ginny, Uncle Phil. She kissed me."

"Idiot!" Draco muttered, scowling down at his plate of mashed potatoes and veal marsala. "She should have kept her mouth where it belonged, the little-"

"Draco!" Severus warned.

His blond son clamped his mouth shut and began eating, so Harry never did learn what he had been about to say. Though he was certain it was derogatory, otherwise Severus wouldn't have spoken like that. Both his sons knew that their father did not enjoy punishing them, so he usually gave them a warning beforehand, as a last attempt for them to mitigate their behavior. The warning was usually heeded.

"But Katie doesn't believe that," Phil continued, ignoring the reprimand from Severus to Draco.

"No. I tried to tell her that it didn't mean anything but . . .that bloody picture makes it look like we were . . .you know . . .getting it on," Harry said, flushing. "And well, Ginny's always been kind of . . .sweet on me. But I never encouraged her.  She's Ron's little sister, for Godsake! If I ever went out with her-which I won't-it would totally muck up our friendship."

"You can say that again," Draco agreed. "If we ever have a little sister and Goyle tried to date her, I'd have to kill him.  Just thinking about it makes me sick."

"I see. Relationships are complicated things," the vampire said, sipping at his glass of red wine. "At any age, as I ought to know.  But especially at yours, when you're still trying to figure out who you are and what you want out of your life and still going through hormonal changes."

Both boys blushed and started eating very quickly.

Philip chuckled. "What? You think I don't remember what it's like? I know it's been a long time-"

"Like forever," Harry put in cheekily.

"-but I still recall what a wreck I was when I first started noticing girls. Keep in mind, back then that I was the second son of a lord, and considered quite a catch, but I wasn't really free to choose a girl, that was something done by your parents. And every time they introduced me to a likely girl at a revel, I used to think, is she smiling because she likes me, or she likes my title, or because her father told her to be nice and don't embarrass the family name or else he'd beat her? I put myself through the torments of the damned."

"You, Uncle Phil?" Harry stared at the elder Snape. "But you're . . .really good looking." It seemed impossible that the suave elegant vampire had ever been an awkward adolescent, prone to the same fears and insecurity as Harry was, but Harry knew Philip was not lying.

"And that made it worse. Because then I wasn't sure if she liked my pretty face and my handsome physique, or if she liked me-Philip Anthony Snape.  Sometimes beauty can be a curse as well as a blessing."

"So what should I do?" Harry asked then.

"I think you need to sit down with Katie and have a long talk."

"She's been avoiding me. That's what she does when she's hurt and angry. She hides herself away."

"Sounds like somebody else I know," Severus said pointedly.

Draco shrugged. "I don't really like confrontations much. Especially not with girls. Hermione was driving me nuts before I finally had it out with her."

"Sometimes the longer you wait to confront a problem, the worse off it is," Phil said sagely. "In this case, Harry, I would recommend you force a confrontation if necessary. Right, Severus?"

Severus nodded. "My offer still stands, son."

"I know, Dad. I'm probably going to take you up on it."

"What offer?" Draco asked.

Harry turned to his brother. "Dad offered to lock us both in his classroom so we could have some privacy and be forced to talk things over. He said his best friend did that once to him and my mother when they were fighting."

Draco laughed. "Guess it worked." Then he added, "If you'd like, I could put in a good word for you with Katie.  I can't believe she thinks you'd throw her over for silly little Ginny Weasley."

"She's insecure," Severus said abruptly. "Like most teenage girls her age.  And boys. Phil's right, talking is the only way to mend this."

"Okay, but I need you to do something about Skeeter, Uncle Phil. Because I don't want something like this to ever happen again. I'm sick and tired of her spreading lies and rumors about me just to make her column more interesting. I want it to stop." Harry said grimly.  "She's ruining my life with her stupid little sly remarks. I don't know how she got that picture, either."

"She could have been lying in wait for you in the corridor," Severus said. "Using some kind of non-detection magic, and snapped that picture just in time."

"Right. That sounds like exactly the kind of dirty trick she'd pull." Harry scowled, his resemblance to Severus even more pronounced.

"We were wondering if you wouldn't mind using your vampire eyes to hypnotize her and force her to retract her lies and hearsay by writing a retraction," Severus said to Phil. 

The vampire grinned, his violet eyes glowing. "It would be my pleasure. That woman needs to be taught a lesson in manners. And proper journalism. Her grammar and prose are atrocious. I may also go a bit further and make her give you a public apology, Harry. Among other things."

"Thank you, Uncle Phil," Harry said sincerely. "It's good to have a vampire on your side."

Philip began laughing, and nearly choked on his wine. "Oh, Harry! You really amaze me sometimes." He set down his wine glass and wiped his mouth, thinking how lucky he was to have gotten to know these particular descendants.

* * * * * *

The next evening:

  Rita Skeeter had always prided herself on being an unflappable sort of witch. She had seen and heard it all during her forty-some-odd years of life, and felt it her duty to write that which the public wanted-scandal and dirty little secrets. She had always been a fan of juicy gossip and that had not changed since she finished school.  When she first went to work for the Daily Prophet as a wet-behind-the-ears journalist, she had been regulated to writing boring topics like the weather and crummy pieces on so-and-so's birthday bash or tea social. She had nearly died of boredom.  But then she had gotten a break when the reporter writing a social column had gotten sick and Rita filled in for him. Suddenly Nick Navarre lost his place as the leading socialite columnist and Rita took over, on account of her digging up dirt on the wealthy Prendergast family-Mr. Prendergast had been having an affair with his nanny while his wife went away on business, a nanny who was a Squib, no less. That scandal had rocked the pureblood elite for months and put Rita on top as the Prophet's top gossip columnist. Where she had stayed for years, renowned as the witch who could discover anything about anybody, and she never revealed her sources.

Her latest scoop, about young Harry Snape and his love triangle, was the sort of thing she adored. Lots of teenage angst and troubled hearts and tension, just the sort of ongoing drama she needed to draw in readers. Because though they would deny it to their last breath, people loved a scandal, especially among the rich and famous, since it brought them down to the level of the ordinary man and gave them something to talk about. Now that she had her readers hooked on the saga of Harry and his two girlfriends, she was set for weeks.

Humming to herself, she tucked her viridian Quick Quotes Quill into her portable writing case and started to leave her room at the  end of the second floor corridor and head into the Great Hall for supper, when a knock came at her door.

She opened it and gasped.

There stood the most gorgeous man she had ever laid eyes on in her entire life. He topped her by at least a foot, was wearing a long-sleeved tunic and a set of black breeches that emphasized his well-muscled thighs and calves, and she had always admired a well-heeled man. This one could have caused old witches to go into cardiac arrest if they stared at him long enough. His silky black hair fell to his shoulders in a magnificent sweep and his face reminded her of an angel-though not the insipid harp-playing kind, but a fallen angel, for there was a gleam of wickedness lurking in his brilliant violet eyes.

"Hello! I haven't seen you around before!" Rita purred, nearly salivating.

"I'm sorry, I must have gotten turned around, I was looking for the . . .ah . . .staff room," Phil said lazily, affecting a befuddled look. "Please forgive me for disturbing you, Miss-."

"Just call me Rita, please. And I shan't forgive you anything unless you come in and have a drink." The reporter offered.

"I . . .well, if you insist."

"I do," she simpered then practically dragged him into the room. "Do have a seat." She gestured to the small sitting area that all the guest rooms in the castle had. Then she poured herself and her unexpected guest a measure of firewhiskey. "Nothing like a drink to break the ice."

"Charmed, my lady," Philip said, turning on his vampiric charm. He smiled at her politely and she almost fell into his lap. "My name is Philip and I am delighted to make your acquaintance."

"Me too, darling," Rita said, and handed him the glass. "Are you here to apply for a teaching post? Because if you are, I'll start school all over again!"

Philip gave a soft chuckle, pretending to be amused at her lame innuendo. "I was considering one, the Headmaster invited me down here to see if the school and I would suit . . ." He pretended to drink the firewhiskey. "Are you also a teacher here?"

"Me? Oh holy good God, no! You wouldn't catch me dead teaching those little brats! No, I'm a reporter for the Daily Prophet, here to cover the Triwizard Tournament and its Champions. Pretty big news, there being four champions this year with that unexpected entry-Harry Snape. But I'm sure you've heard all about it . . ."

"I have indeed."

"I hope you've been following my column, Philip."

"But of course, lovely Rita," Philip assured her, and he made a come hither motion with his right hand.

Rita was beside him in a flash, his seductive aura drawing her to him like a moth to a flame.

Before she could register the fact, Philip had taken her by the shoulders and stared into her eyes, pinning her gaze with his own. 

Rita felt herself drowning in his gaze, swallowed up by those perfect violet eyes, and she found herself unable to look away.

"Look at me, Rita Skeeter," the vampire ordered, and he turned the full force of his gaze upon her.

"Yes, my lord."

"Look, listen, and obey." Philip intoned. Rita nodded jerkily.  "You printed a very damning article about Harry Snape last week. One full of lies and innuendos that have harmed his relationship with Katie Bell for no good reason. My nephew is not your own private scandalmaker, his personal life is none of your business!" he growled, allowing his fangs to show.

Rita shivered upon seeing them, but could not withdraw from his grasp. "I want you to do three things for me. First, you will write a retraction of that awful story, and inform your readers that you had mistaken information regarding Harry and Ginny Weasley and that you regret ever publishing such trash. You were misinformed and wish to make amends to Mr. Snape and Miss Bell. You will then give Mr. Snape a public apology during breakfast tomorrow in front of the whole school. You will write the article tonight and send it to your editor and request it be published in the morning edition. Thirdly, you will refrain from ever writing such insipid piddling little stories again. About anyone, but especially Harry Snape. He has endured much misery and sorrow, there is no need for you to add to it. Am I clear?"

"Yes, my lord. As you command, my lord."

"Good. From now on you will search out human interest stories and write about them, and refrain from such slanderous pieces.  If you fail to comply with my wishes, you wicked hag, this shall be your fate!"

Rita screamed as he bared his fangs all the way and his eyes turned red with Hunger.

"Silence!" he hissed, and her scream cut off abruptly.  "If you ever break your word to me I will know. And I shall come for you. No door, no lock, no ward of protection shall keep me out. I am the Lord of Darkness. I shall come for you, wherever you may be, and your blood shall feed my Hunger." He drew her close and bit her gently upon the throat, hard enough to leave two twin fang marks and that was all.  "Remember, woman. Every time you look in the mirror, you shall see the marks of my fangs.  Had I chosen, this night you would be dead, cold and lifeless upon the floor, never to pick up a pen again." He said that matter-of-factly, the way one might say they were going to have steak for dinner, his mouth curved in a horrific smile, eyes glowing beast red. "But I decided to be merciful. Count your blessings. I shall give you one chance to make things right. Do so. Or else . . .you know what awaits you," he said, his voice darkening to velvet encased steel. "Oh, one more thing. You shall speak of our meeting to no one and no one shall see my mark save you."

"I understand, my lord."

"Very good, little beetle," Philip purred ruthlessly. His glimpse into her narrow little mind had revealed her great secret-that she was an unregistered Animagus. "Awake."

He clapped his hands sharply and turned his head away, breaking his compulsion.

Rita sagged to the floor by his feet, shaking and whimpering. "Please, don't hurt me, my lord. Please!"

Philip tisked at her. "Not unless you give me cause," he said, flashing his fangs again.

"I won't. I swear it upon . . .upon my mother's grave." The witch's eyes were huge and terrified. 

"How appropriate," drawled the master vampire. He put a finger under her chin and smiled nastily. "Remember, sweet, that your own awaits you should you break your word."

"I won't! I promise!" Rita babbled hysterically.

"Stop your bloody whining, woman! Get up and start writing." Philip sneered as Rita cringed. "If you're lucky, you might finish in time for the deadline, which is about two hours from now. I would suggest you write quickly. And do remember proper punctuation and grammar, would you? All those errors are most distracting."

Rita nearly tripped over her own feet getting up. She threw herself into her desk chair and tore open her writing case, rubbing at the red marks upon her throat, which burned icily.

When she looked up, the master vampire was gone.

But she would wake screaming from horrific nightmares for weeks afterward.

Outside her quarters, Philip leaned against the wall, still veiled, smirking slyly. He had not had so much fun scaring someone witless since he was seventeen and had caught some bullies intimidating his squire. I hope I didn't overdo it. Then he shrugged. Skeeter was lucky. Had he been a follower of the dark she would have suffered the fate he had described. She did not know how close she had come to death that night, for he had been sorely tempted to kill her, and only his oath to hunt dark wizards held him back.  You are lucky, little bug, that I have scruples you lack, he thought darkly, then he left the castle to seek other prey.

* * * * * *

 

Earlier that evening:

 

Draco followed Katie from her Transfiguration class, using a minor light veil that Phil had taught him so he wouldn't be spotted by her or any of her friends.  Though he normally got along well with the girls on the Gryffindor Quidditch team off the pitch, lately they had closed ranks around Katie and refused to speak with either Harry or him. Normally, Draco wouldn't have cared, but he did now because it hurt Harry and he felt very protective of his "little" brother.

He ghosted along behind the three girls, Chasers all, Angelina, Katie, and Alicia, waiting until they had reached the portrait hole. He allowed the other two to enter the portrait hole first, then he grabbed the back of Katie's robe and yanked on it, making the girl stumble backwards. The portrait hole shut with a snap.

Katie cried out, startled. "What in Merlin's name just happened?"

"I happened," Draco said, and lowered the veil.

"Draco!" she exclaimed as he popped into view. "What . . .why are you here?"

"We need to talk," Draco said quietly.

"If this is about your brother and me, I don't want to discuss it."

He ignored her words as if she had never spoken them. "Now, we can do this two ways, Bell. One we can have this discussion right here in the middle of the corridor where anyone can hear us, or two, we can go somewhere private. Your call. Either way, though, we will be discussing it."

"You're not my lord and master, Malfoy!" Katie snapped. "Quit acting like it."

"Only when you quit running away and let me explain a few things."

"I'm not running away!"

"No? That's not what it looked like from my end."

Katie squared her shoulders and said angrily, "Very well, Malfoy. If you insist.  Let's go to the Room of Requirement."

"Come on. Right now."

"I need to tell Angelina and Alicia where I am," Katie argued as he grabbed her firmly by the arm.

"This will only take a few minutes." Draco said.

They had reached the Room of Requirement and went inside. This time the room had comfy couches and a fire crackling and looked like some rich wizard's home. "Have a seat," Draco gestured to the couch and then remained standing until Katie sat down, as he had been taught since childhood.

Katie scowled at him. "Okay, Malfoy. Say what you have to say, I have homework and OWL's to study for."

Draco quickly gathered his thoughts. "All right. I know you're mad as blazes at my brother because you think he has a thing for Ginny and he kissed her, when all along he said he loved you."

"That's right. He-he . . .I can't believe he did that to me! And with Ginny of all people! She's a baby, barely thirteen, if that!" Katie cried. Her blue eyes swam with tears.

"Katie, you ought to know Harry by now. He would never hurt you that way."

"That's what I thought too. Until I saw that picture. He was kissing her!"

"I know, but just listen to me for a minute. There's two sides to every story.  What if Harry didn't kiss her-"

"He admitted he did!"

"Yeah, because he's a noble idiot.  I can tell you right now that he didn't start that kiss-Weasley did.  She kissed him.  And my brother was probably too shocked to push her off. And that was just what that hag Skeeter was waiting for. She took a picture and put it in the paper, knowing how it would be taken by people. She loves a good scandal, and you and Harry were the perfect couple.  And you fell right in her trap."

"He told you that?"

"Yes. Katie, you're the first serious girlfriend he's ever had.  He doesn't consider Ginny as a girlfriend, he thinks of her as a little sister."

"What about how she thinks of him?"

"Does it matter?"

She gave him an incredulous look. "Yes, it does! I don't want her trying to steal away my boyfriend!"

"Then you still think of Harry as your boyfriend?"

"We haven't broken up yet, Malfoy. I don't want to lose him, but I don't want to have a boy who thinks it's okay to cheat on me either."

"Harry doesn't."

"Of course you'd say that. He's your brother. Do you have any idea how hurt I was when I saw that article and picture? All of her friends were whispering behind their hands and making snide remarks about me, saying I was nothing but a witch who could fly, that he only went out with me because I was Snape's pet and he arranged it. And when Ginny showed up, they were all signs and sympathy, and she just ate it up! She's always had a thing for him and the first chance she got, she kissed him! What was I supposed to think?"

Draco gritted his teeth. "That Harry has better taste than to make out with that red-haired little kid. You both hurt each other and that's just plain stupid. I think you ought to talk to Harry. Then make a decision."

"I don't know if I can face him."

"You'll never know unless you do it," Draco sighed. "Think about it, okay?" He waited until she nodded, then he left the room. He had done all he could. He just hoped it was enough. He shook his head angrily. It figured that Ginny would mess things up. If she had just kept her hands off his brother, Skeeter would have never taken that picture and Katie would still be together with Harry. Skeeter would have had to dig up some new dirt on Harry, and it might not have clung so hard, nor done so much damage. Rita might have started the fire, but Ginny had heaped  wood and oil on the blaze.

Harry met him just outside the Snapes' quarters. "Well? Did it work?"

"Yes and no. I made her think, or at least I hope so."

Harry groaned.

"Little brother, you need to get your arse in gear and talk to her."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"You also should give Ginny a piece of your mind for being so bloody stupid!" Draco said bluntly. "Unless she wanted to try and break you up."

"Ginny wouldn't-"

"Harry, you always tend to believe the best of people. I don't think Weasley girl's as innocent as she acts." Draco said suspiciously.

"And you always tend to believe the worst, Dragon."

"At least that way I'm never disappointed." Draco pointed out, giving his brother a friendly clap on the shoulder.

Harry sighed. "I think I need to talk to Dad."

"What for? Moral support?"

"No. I need him to lock Katie and me up in his classroom for awhile."

Draco looked as if he were about to call the magical therapy police. "Harry, I think you've totally gone round the bend."

"No, I haven't. Besides it was Dad's idea."

"You're really going to go through with it?"

"Wizard's honor," Harry said.

"Unbelievable!" Draco said. Then he grinned. "How very Slytherin of you, little brother."

Together they entered the Snape quarters, hoping that Severus would hold the key to restoring Harry's relationship.

* * * * * *

   The next morning:

 

Katie's alarm clock went off right in her ear, and she rolled over sleepily and wondered why in hell she had set it to go off at quarter to seven in the morning on a Saturday? She didn't think she had Quidditch practice. She yawned and sat up, shutting off the incessant ringing by smacking the top of it. Then she saw the note lying next to her on the bed, the note she had received from Professor Snape last night, requesting her to come to his classroom at seven o'clock AM and prepare ingredients for a Draught of Living Death. Katie had learned long before never to question why the professor requested her, but to simply obey, for he always had a reason, even if the reason were known only to himself.

So she forced herself to get up and dressed and hotfoot it down to the potions classroom, making the dungeon with barely two minutes to spare. She arrived at the classroom panting slightly, her hair in disarray, but at least she wasn't late. She threw open the door and stepped inside, all the lights were on. "Professor? I'm here."

She glanced about, not seeing her teacher anywhere. The room appeared empty. Her brow crinkled. "Professor Snape? Sir, are you here?"

"No, but I am," came Harry's voice and he walked into the classroom from Snape's office, closing the office door behind him. It locked automatically.

"Harry! What . . .what are you doing here?" Katie squeaked in surprise. She started to back away. "Where's the professor?"

"Here," called Severus, and he was, standing in the doorway of the classroom.

"I . . I don't understand. Why is Harry here?"

"Because you two need to talk and now is the best time."

"No!" Katie cried, understanding dawning in her eyes. "I don't want to talk to him!"

"But you need to. You have two hours to settle your differences like two rational human beings instead of two immature children," Severus said crisply. "I would suggest you get started." And with that, he billowed out of the classroom and locked the door as well.

"I don't believe this!" Katie shouted, running over to try the door. It was locked.  "Professor, let me out! This is . . .you can't do this!"

"Technically, he can. And he has." Harry said. "Why don't you have a seat?"

"No, thanks. I'll stand."

"Suit yourself," Harry took a seat across from her, trying to seem nonchalant. Inwardly, he was quaking, fearing this was the part where she dumped him.

Katie remained standing, her arms crossed.  "I have nothing to say to you." She stated, trying hard to maintain her façade of anger.

"Well, I have something to say to you," Harry snapped, losing his temper. "Don't believe everything you see or read in the bloody Prophet! Rita Skeeter's a dirty stinking liar! You ought to know that from the last time, with that stupid article in Witch Weekly.  That was nothing but rumors and innuendos."

"Oh really? Well, that one didn't have a picture of you snogging Ginny Weasley!" Katie yelled. "That one didn't have statements from all her prat friends about how much better you were with her than with me, who looked as if I had just jumped off a broom!"

"So what? Why should you give a damn what they say about you?"

"Maybe I shouldn't, but I do! And this is the second time her name is connected with yours, Harry.  Why is it always that little brat who comes on to you? Is it because you encourage her?"

"NO!" Harry exploded. "Listen to me, you jealous twit! I've never encouraged her. I didn't kiss her, she kissed me."

"Then why did you let her? You told me you think of her as a sister, so why did you let her do that, Harry?"

"She took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it. All I was trying to do was comfort her. She was crying over losing her boyfriend, for Merlin's sake."

"Oh, and you were the first person she ran to, right? How convenient."

"You want to know how it happened? Fine, I'll tell you. I was coming up to the Fat Lady and I had forgotten my password. While I was trying to remember it, Ginny came up the stairs. She looked upset, and I asked her what was wrong, she told me her boyfriend from Hufflepuff had just dumped her for Hannah Abbott. I put my arm around her and she started crying into my shoulder. All I did was hold her."

"And then she kissed you, right?"

"Yeah. What did you think happened, I tore off her clothes and we had wild sex in the corridor?"

In spite of herself, Katie smothered a snicker. "If you had, Snape, Skeeter might have gotten a double feature and everything."

Harry snorted. "Damn miserable harpy, always skulking around where she isn't supposed to and making my life hell.  If you want to know, that kiss wasn't anything spectacular. I didn't really notice it until it was over."

She gazed into his green eyes and saw that he met hers squarely. There was no deception in them. "You really mean that. You didn't feel . . .anything for her?"

Harry made a disgusted face. "Just sorry that she had broken up with her boyfriend. She did not turn me on." He sighed, aggravated with her intransigence. "Why can't you believe that? I don't cheat on my girlfriend. Especially not with somebody who's like my little sister. I don't care what Skeeter made that photo look like, I am not interested in Ginny Weasley. Either you trust me or you don't."

"I do trust you," she whispered, her eyes filling with tears. She looked away abruptly. "It's myself I don't trust."

"What? You're not making a lick of sense."

"I don't trust myself to do what's right. To-to let you go if-if you think I'm not good enough . . .that I'm not . . .who you want to spend the rest of your life with. You don't have to stay with me, Harry, if you don't want me . . ."

He simply stared at her, and it was then he saw it-the hidden vulnerability, the fear that she was not enough, not good enough, the awful insecurity that had plagued her ever since that first article.  It was that which had driven her to accuse him in a jealous rage, that had made her hide away rather than speak with him. Katie Bell was afraid of losing him. So afraid that she was creating phantoms where there were none.

"Katherine Bell, I fought a sphinx and a kelpie for you. Does that sound like I don't want you or need you? I took you to the Yule Ball. Does that look like I don't want to be seen with you? I've never wanted anyone else but you.  You are the best thing that ever happened to me.  When I'm with you, that's all I see and all I want to see. Nothing else. I love you and I've never said that to any girl before. Ever. It's not some casual thing with me. I'm like my dad-I'm faithful to one woman at a time. It's a Snape thing, I guess. Dad said those word to only two women in his life, and both times he meant them with all of his heart. It's the same with me." He rose and came over to her, cupping her face inbetween his hands, they were long enough now for him to do so. "When I say I love you, I mean I will love you forever, no matter who fancies me or what anybody says about suitable or unsuitable. I will love you when I'm old and bald and you're fat and grey and all we can do is hold hands in two rockers on the porch. I'll love you asleep and awake and anywhere inbetween because that's how it should be, and nothing will ever change that. Not rotten reporters, not stupid crushes from my best friend's sister, not even my family.  You are the one for me, Katie Bell. I will love you till the day we die, and maybe after that too."

With that, he kissed her, and he allowed all of his pent-up emotions to explode through him, channeling all of his anger and frustration, passion and desire into a single kiss.  He was fierce and gentle and seductive all at once, showing her without words, irrefutably, just how much he loved her.

It blew her away. All of her defense crumbled, all of her wretched insecurity dissolved beneath that single kiss-that reaffirmation of hope and love and trust.

For one instant, she was breathless and unable to respond, her emotions roused to a fever pitch.  The next she had her arms about him and was kissing him back with equal fervor. "Harry . . .God . . .I do love you . . .too much . . .couldn't stand the thought that you might not love me like that . . .or that she might win you away from me . . .sweet Merlin . . ." He stole her breath with another kiss and then another, each one leaving an indelible mark upon her heart. She felt lightheaded and at the same time hyper aware of him and of herself as she had never been before. And then she knew that he truly loved her, for no boy could kiss this way unless he truly, madly, deeply, loved the one he was with.

She had been a fool. A terrified jealous idiot. She had almost ruined the best thing in her life. Tears spilled from her eyes again and she whispered regretfully, "Oh, Merlin, Harry . . .I've been so stupid . . .I could just hit myself . . .how can you ever forgive me . . ."

"Hey, join the club. I'm the star member, seeing as I do one stupid thing a day, or least it seems that way sometimes. Just ask Draco. Or my dad. Or Hermione. They'll tell you. It happens. Forget about it, or at least don't be so hard on yourself. There's no such thing as perfect. Just accept it and go on.  My dad always said to me, we were born to make mistakes, and the smart ones learn from them and the dunderheads keep making them.  Make the right choice. And never forget one thing-I love you."

"I love you too. And I really don't deserve you."

"Stop," he ordered. "You do deserve me. Don't be a dunderhead, Bell."

She managed smile. "Okay. I'll try. You really are amazing, Harry Snape. I never knew you could kiss like that."

He shrugged. "Hey, I try." Then he added softly, "But only with you, my Katie."

"Damn straight.  I won't even ask where you learned to kiss like that."

Harry grinned, a classic Snape smirk.  "It's born in me. Just ask Sarai."

"Harry!" She swatted him playfully on the arm.

"What?" he looked all innocent. "It'll give you something to talk about."

"Harry Snape!" Then she burst out laughing, unable to help herself. She laughed until she cried and then she sobbed all over him. "I'm sorry . . .so sorry . . ."

He hugged her to him and then he whispered into her ear, "You apologize once more and I'm kissing you senseless."

"Do it."

"I would, but then I'd have to explain to your parents why you asphyxiated."

She stopped crying. For long moments she remained in his arms, listening to him breathe and his heart beating. His large, understanding, forgiving heart, that had reserved a special place within just for her, even when she felt she did not deserve it. "That would be kind of awkward. But just think about what it would do to your reputation as a ladies man," she teased.

"I could give a damn about my reputation," he growled. "Being famous sucks. All I want is to be ordinary and to live my own life with you and my family. After I kick Moldy Heart's arse, I'm going to return to Prince Manor and stay there."

"What about school?"

"After that." He amended.

"And after we give Ginny a piece of our mind," she said, her eyes stormy.

"Katie . . .I don't think she realized what she was doing."

"Harry, Merlin have mercy! You don't kiss a guy on the mouth and not know what you're doing. Unless you're drunk or ensorcelled. And she wasn't any of those things. She knew what she was about."

Harry considered that for several long moments, reflecting on that night in front of the portrait hole.  "You're right. It was no accident. We can talk-or I can talk to her after breakfast."

He looked up at the clock on the wall. It was nearly nine.

As if on cue, the door swung open and Severus peered inside, hoping there wasn't blood splattered all over or missing limbs, they created such a mess and gave the house elves fits. "Still breathing, I see. Praise Merlin."

The two teenagers started and then gave him sheepish looks.

"I trust you've worked out your differences?"

"Yes, sir," they chorused.

"Good, because my other alternative was going to be banging your heads together," he said dryly. "I believe breakfast is being served in the hall. Why don't we all go down there? I have a feeling there will be several announcements of note this morning."

"About the tournament?" asked Katie.

"You'll never know if you keep standing here twiddling your thumbs, Miss Bell."

The two followed him up the stairs.

When they entered, Draco gave Harry a questioning look and Harry gave him a broad grin and a thumbs-up sign.  He took his seat and Katie sat next to him.

Ron gaped at him and Hermione smiled, pleased that they were finally speaking to each other again.

There was a flutter of wings and the owls descended with the morning post.

Nearly all the students and some of the professors in the hall grabbed for their copies of the Prophet, eager to read about the hot new gossip of the day. Harry gently took his from Frost, and saw in one quick glance his father receiving his own copy from Phantom at the staff table. Harry untied the string and heaved a sigh that seemed to come from his shoes.  Wonder what new lies Skeeter the bitch has come up with?

He quickly scanned the paper and located Skeeter's column.

He almost fell over backwards onto the floor, along with several of his Housemates.

For there, in black and white, was the words, A Case of Mistaken Misrepresentation followed by an entire article retracting the previous ones that had Harry betraying Katie for the love of Ginny Weasley. 

The source I was using was mistaken and corrupted, and fed me false information, leading me to draw unfair conclusions about Harry Snape's integrity and intentions towards both Miss Bell and Miss Weasley. It is with deepest regret that I tell you all to disregard my columns of the previous two weeks ago and a month ago, at the time I thought my source trustworthy, but have since discovered that I was lied to and Harry Snape is deeply in love with Katie Bell and has no plans to throw her over for Ginny Weasley, whom he thinks of as a sister.  My apologies to all.

The byline where Rita's portrait was usually smiling and waving, instead featured a woman with a dunce's cap on her head.

Muttering and whispers and the occasional whoop of glee went around the hall, and Harry exchanged smirks with all of his friends and thought about how wonderful it was to have a vampire in the family.  Phil had certainly done his job well.

Suddenly there came the sound of someone clearing her throat very loudly, and all the muttering ceased and the students turned around.

There at the lectern in front of the table was Rita Skeeter herself, dressed not in her normal bottle green suit, but a simple tan brocade, looking as if she'd swallowed a ton of pickled herring. "I . . .would like to make an announcement before . . .before everyone tucks in to their breakfast." She turned and focused on Harry, giving him a sickly sort of smile.

Harry thought she had indigestion before he realized that was how Rita looked trying to smile sincerely. 

"I would like to extend to Mr. Harry Snape and Miss Katie Bell my deepest apologies," Rita began, her words sounding stilted and strange, and Harry would have bet his life that this was the first time she had ever apologized to anyone about one of her belittling stories. "I should have been more careful about checking the . . .reliability of my sources. It was grave error and I am sorry if it caused either of you problems. I . .  promise it will not happen again." She stared off abruptly into space, across the hall to a dark shadowed corner, paled and then gulped hard.

Harry glanced out of the corner of his eye and saw Phil standing there. The vampire winked at him before veiling himself again.  Harry nearly cracked up laughing. He was sure that Rita had not seen Phil winking.

*Nay, she saw him with his fangs bared, ready to take a bite out of her, the foul false-tongued informer,* Smidgen sent into his head. The little shimmerling appeared suddenly upon his shoulder, curling up atop him with her tail neatly about her paws, her green eyes awhirl with mischief.

Smidgen! What have you been up to? I hardly see you anymore unless it's at night.

*I have been following yon great sourpuss face around,* answered the fae cat, grooming herself. She indicated the tall Karkaroff with a jerk of her wing. *Trying to see if he reports back to anyone. But so far all he's done is moan and whine to Mad Eye about how Krum is failing to live up to his expectations and how much he detests Severus for finding a way to cheat the Cup of Wonders and put you into the tournament. He believes that without you, Krum would dominate everyone else.*

He's cracked. Cedric has outscored Krum in all the challenges so far.

*No one ever said wizards had sense. He's blinded by arrogance and that makes him a first class idiot.* Smidgen sniffed. Then she began to purr. *But oh-am I glad not to have missed this-the humbling of the Poison Pen! Thank your ancestors, Harry, that Philip was able to convince her to apologize and take back what she said. I wish I had been there to see it!*

Harry nodded, his green eyes dancing. He did also. Normally he wouldn't have taken any pleasure in seeing someone scared to death, but Skeeter had almost wrecked everything with Katie and he found that there was a small corner of his heart that felt justified in Rita getting what was due her for all of her scheming and lying.

"See, I knew she was full of it!" crowed Ron.

"She's always full of it," said the twins. They looked at their baby sister. "Right, Gin?"

Ginny nodded, looking down at her plate. She did not look happy.

"So, you two an item again?" asked Angelina kindly.

"Now and always," answered her friend and she put an arm about Harry and hugged him.

The Quidditch team cheered and so did Ron and Hermione and Draco. Ginny managed a weak smile and after breakfast, she slipped away from the table.

Harry nudged Katie and muttered, "Should we?"

"Yes. Come on."

They followed her quietly.

She went out to one of the flat rocks near Hagrid's hut and sat there, staring out at the big man's pumpkin patch.

"Hey, Ginny." Harry called.

She jerked up and said angrily, "Go away, Harry. I don't want to talk to you."

"Why not?" Katie demanded sharply. "Because you'd rather kiss him instead?"

Ginny flushed. "I shouldn't have done that. But it just . . .happened."

"Make sure it doesn't happen again." Katie warned.

"Okay! I'm sorry if I think he's hot!" Ginny snapped.

"Stop it!" Harry ordered. "We didn't come out here to fight with you, Ginny. We just wanted to make sure that you understood that I . . .what you want from me can't ever be," he said awkwardly. "I care for you and I love you, but not like I love Katie. You're like a little sister to me. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.  She's the one for me, Gin. I love her and she loves me."

"Hooray for you. I get it, Snape. Now leave me alone!" she cried, and then she jumped off the boulder and ran down the path to Hagrid's cottage.

Harry started to go after her, but Katie grabbed the sleeve of his robe. "Harry, don't. Let her have her pride."

"I wish I didn't have to hurt her like that."

"Harry, it had to be said. And better you than me. Sometimes doing what's right hurts.  And so does breaking up with your first crush." Katie consoled him. "She'll get over it."

"Yeah." He still felt bad for hurting her though. But what was done, was done. At least it was a clean break. He took Katie's arm and together they walked back to the castle, their relationship patched and scarred, but whole once more.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks everyone who has read and reviewed this story. It keeps me writing! :)