Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The final battle in the graveyard. Don't miss it!
Call to Arms
  Hogwarts

Quidditch pitch:

Barty Junior was standing just to the right of the judges box, watching as Karkaroff surreptitiously rubbed his arm. Barty felt the awful burning too and knew that the Dark Lord was gathering his faithful. Barty relished the pain, however, and wished he could Apparate immediately to his lord's side. But he knew he had to wait. Wait until the Snape whelp was within the maze and on his way to the Cup. His duty was to make sure Harry Snape got the Cup and triggered the Portkey. Once that was done he would slip away and report to his Master. He eyed his father's back and thought it a terrible shame he could not kill his dear old dad before going to the Dark Lord. Such a deed would show Voldemort beyond a doubt that he was still a loyal servant.

Snape felt a twinge of pain in his arm, and winced and looked down. The Mark on his arm burned and darkened faintly. He shuddered, hoping that what he feared had not yet come to pass. He glanced surreptitiously about and noticed Karkaroff also rubbing his arm. That could mean only one thing. A summons. Of course, Severus was not answering it. He would not reawaken the Mark that way. It would be suicide. He focused instead upon his son, who was just entering the labyrinth. He had done his best to prepare Harry for the final task and now he could do nothing but watch and wait and pray that his son came through the task whole. He did not even care if Harry won the TriWizard Cup, only that he walked safely out of the other side of the maze.

He turned and looked at Minerva, she looked like she was about to spit nails for some reason. "Something wrong, Minerva?"

She sighed and turned to him. "Besides the fact that I had to deal with one of my Lions trying marijuana and then discovered Mad Eye's gone off his rocker and decided to Transfigure your son Draco into a ferret and bounce him all over the pathway."

"He did what?" Severus hissed, horrified and furious.

"He claimed he was teaching him a lesson in manners, the crazy fool."

"Oh?" Severus said dangerously.  "I shall give him a lesson in manners he won't soon forget. Where is the miserable bastard?"

"He stomped off somewhere after I finished giving him a piece of my mind. I assume he is here somewhere." Minerva said frostily.

Severus looked ready to leap off the podium and search for the erring professor then and there. "How was Draco? Did he go to the Hospital Wing?"

"I . . .well . . .I would assume so, he looked rather bruised and shaken, although when I finished tearing strips off Moody and looked for him, he was gone."

Severus scanned the seats in the front of the stadium and spotted Draco and Hermione as well as Phil's family waving pennants and cheering for Harry. "Hmm . . .maybe he did visit Poppy, he looks all right, from what I can see. Even so . . .I am going to be having a long discussion with Albus about the fitness of his Defense teachers," said Severus grimly.

"As will I. What he did was nothing short of criminal," Minerva said, sounding very peeved.

Severus peered back at his son and his friends and family, reassuring himself that Draco was indeed okay. It was then that he noticed Philip was missing. Where in the world is he? It's not like him to be late. Unless he found out what that blithering idiot did to Draco and is exacting his own brand of revenge. He wouldn't put it past Phil to do that.

He absently rubbed his arm again and checked his watch. The sun had started to go down, and so far the champions had been in the maze for just under an hour. About fifteen minutes later, he caught a glimpse of Harry as he emerged from part of the labyrinth and stood upon a platform where the crowd could see him. Severus choked back a huge gasp of relief. Harry had made it more than halfway. The rest of the crowd cheered and clapped.

Then his son disappeared as he continued on deeper into the maze.

Severus kept his eyes focused upon the hedge maze, willing his son to remember all he had been taught and to be careful.

Barty remained partially out of view behind him, half-trembling with eagerness. He hoped all would go well with the ritual tonight in the graveyard, hoped that Wormtail, the tosser, didn't muck things up. He wished that he had been chosen to perform the ritual that would bring Voldemort back to his full power again. Wormtail was nothing but a bloody incompetent stooge.

The Mark seared, and he bit his lip to keep from crying out in pained joy. He returns! He returns! Call me to your side, Master!

A hand wrapped about his mouth out of nowhere, and then he heard a familiar dreaded voice hiss, "Silence! Don't make any sudden moves or try and call out. Or else I shall tear out your throat and leave you for the ravens to pick your bones."

Barty Jr. panicked for the first time he could remember. Not even the Dementors had engendered the terror this vampire Snape did. He felt himself being lifted off the ground and wondered why no one else could see and come to investigate.

"Be still! No one will see or hear you beneath my veil." Phil growled. "I am going to remove my hand so you may answer a question. Answer it promptly and you won't get bitten." Philip removed his hand.

The false Moody gasped and shuddered.

"Has Harry Snape gone into the labyrinth?"

"Yes."

Inwardly, Philip swore, then he leaped up and flew back behind the stands, where the real Alastor Moody waited. As soon as he had landed, Alastor lunged at Crouch the Younger and slammed him hard in the face.

Crouch was thrust back against Philip, who, despite the power of Alastor's blow, remained rock steady. "Ahhh! You damned insane old codger!"

"You're the one who's insane, boy! Did you really think you could get away with it? " Alastor howled, and then he fastened his hands on the other's face, slammed Barty in the forehead with the top of his own head, and ripped the magical eye out of the imposter's socket. "That's mine, you sneaking piece of dung!" He rubbed the eye on his shirt, then popped the eye back into his own socket.

Barty reeled in Phil's grasp and the vampire declared softly, "Can you handle it from here, my friend? I need to go and warn Harry. Time is running out."

"I can." He pulled his wand and cast a quick Body Bind, then he gave the inert imposter a fierce grin. "I'm going to make him wish he never learned how to cast a spell. Go, Philip. Save your boy. I'll take out the trash."

"Right. Tell Severus what's going on, won't you?" Philip took to the sky, and flew as quickly as he could towards the labyrinth. But even his spectacular vampire speed was not enough to turn back the hands of time. He had the sinking feeling he would be too late, and so he sent to the only other being that might be able to warn Harry in time.

Smidgen!

:Philip! Are you all right? Where have you been?:

No time to talk, catkin! You must warn Harry not to touch the TriWizard Cup! It's a trap-a Portkey that will transport him to Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Warn him!

:On my way, Nightwalker!: He spotted the shimmerling hovering over Severus, and then she vanished, blinking over to Harry.

Unfortunately, neither shimmerling nor vampire managed to warn the impetuous champions in time, but both made certain that wherever the Portkey took the two boys, it took them as well.

Vampire, wizards, and shimmerling all landed somewhere inside a graveyard. They were next to a large yew tree and in the distance could see an old house, worn and graying. Smidgen flew off Harry's shoulder and vanished, using her fae powers to conceal herself. The wind blew high and cold and Harry felt himself start to shiver, he hadn't realized until now that his robes were in tatters and the scratches inflicted upon him by the zombies and skeletons burned and itched. But he ignored the discomfort and drew his wand.

Cedric, who also sported ripped up jeans and a smudge of black upon his shirt that Harry bet was not dirt, drew his wand as well. "What in hell just happened?" he asked, his eyes darting from Philip to Harry and back again.

"Keep behind me," Philip ordered. He glanced at Cedric, who still clutched the Cup. "The Cup was a trap, a Portkey to get you here."

"Where's here?" asked Harry.

"Somewhere we don't wish to be," answered the vampire dryly. "Now do as I say, and let me take point. There is an unnatural stirring in the air. Someone tonight is working a ritual of blood magic nearby. I can feel it."

Harry realized with a start that so could he. It made his stomach ache and his head throb. 

"Who are you? An angel?" asked Cedric, mesmerized by Philip's sudden appearance and night black wings.

Phil laughed softly. "Ah, if only. No, young Diggory, I am no angel."

"He's my uncle, and he's a vampire," Harry said.

Cedric paled. "A vampire?"

"A Born vampire, and therefore no danger to you. I take only the blood of the evil-doer." Philip reassured him. His wings suddenly retracted into his shoulders.

"O-okay," Cedric tried to keep the instinctive tremor from his voice. He sensed that Philip would be a very dangerous enemy.  He looked askance at Harry. "You have some weird family members, Harry."

Harry smirked.  "Only compared to some."

Cedric managed a smile back. "I guess it's handy having a vampire in the family."

Harry nodded, thinking of how many times Philip had saved his life and the lives of his father and brother.

"Hush!" the vampire hissed, holding up a hand. "Someone's coming!"

They had just rounded a corner of a set of gravestones, their feet sinking deep into the unmown grass, when they heard the shuffling and scraping of feet. Down the path from the dilapidated house came a small figure, carrying something that looked like a bundle of robes in his arms.

Harry suddenly went cold and gasped. He felt bile rise up in his throat. "Oh, Merlin help us! What is that? It's . . .so dark, so cold . . ."

"Evil," whispered Philip, baring his fangs.

The shuffling figure came to a halt in front of one particular gravestone, and set the bundle of robes down with loving tenderness. "There now, my lord. I have everything prepared, and soon your enemy will be arriving . . ."

With a start, Harry recognized Wormtail.  His lip curled.

The bundle stirred, and a withered hand crept out of a sleeve and tossed aside the cavernous hood to reveal . . .a wizened face with burning red eyes and a lipless mouth that reminded Harry of an awful mockery of a serpent.  He stared directly into those eyes and felt his heart seize.

Those eyes. He had seen them before . . .in his nightmares . . .and for real, the night he had come to Godric's Hollow and killed James and Lily Potter.

Voldemort.

"He has arrived, Wormtail. He is there!" the claw-like hand lifted and pointed directly at where Harry was standing, shielded partially  by the headstone and by Philip.

Wormtail turned with a squeak and saw them. He whimpered upon seeing Philip, who had fangs bared and glowing red eyes. "There are others, Master! Another boy and a-"

"Kill the spare!"

Wormtail obeyed, pointing his wand at Cedric and screaming, "Avada Kedavra!"

A green light shot out from his wand.

A black blur intercepted it.

"No!" Harry screamed as the green light impacted full on Philip's chest.

It crackled and haloed the ancient vampire with a sickly light, then it sputtered and died. Philip snarled. "Nice try, Death Eater. But don't you know . . .the Killing Curse has no effect upon me . . .for I am immortal . . ." His wings suddenly emerged from his back again.

A white-faced Cedric backed away, the Cup still clutched in his hands.

Now other figures were appearing in the graveyard, and all of them wore the distinctive black robes and silver-white masks of Death Eaters.  They began shooting curses at Philip and the boys.

Harry threw himself flat as a red light shot towards him.

"Cedric, use the Portkey and go back to Hogwarts! Get the hell out of here, get Severus and tell him what's going on and to get his arse here now!" he launched himself at Wormtail, who screeched and scuttled backwards. "Harry, grab his other hand, dammit!"

But Harry was unable to get to Cedric, the curses were splattering everywhere now, and he yelled at the other wizard, "Cedric-go! Do what he said! Go!"

"But Harry-!"

"You wanna die? Go!" Harry screamed. "He'll protect me, it's what he does best."

Cedric looked at the furiously fighting vampire, who had just sent Wormtail flying head over heels with one casual backhand. "I'll be back, Snape!" Then he shouted something and the Cup began to glow and an instant later he was gone.

Just before another Killing Curse struck the spot where he had been.

"Harry, keep behind me!" Phil yelled, as he tried to get to Voldemort to rip out his throat.

But the Death Eaters had now closed ranks about their leader and the vampire was thwarted by a tall figure in an imposing silver mask.

"How very interesting. A vampire on the side of the Light. Tsk. Tsk. How you have gone astray." Lucius purred.

"Not by my lights." Phil sneered. He made a gesture and his silver dagger morphed into a rapier.   His eyes glowed a hellish red.

Lucius chanted a word and his serpent-headed cane transformed into a sword. He lunged at the vampire in a classic fencing strike.

"Get the boy!" Voldemort was screaming. "I need his blood! Get him!"

Immediately, five Death Eaters turned and converged upon Harry, who had cautiously gotten to his feet, wand at the ready.

Philip broke off his riposte and picked up the closest Death Eater and threw him violently through the air. He landed with a crunch about ten feet away, impaled upon a statue of St. George.

But there were too many, and more were Apparating in every minute.

"Harry!" Phil yelled.  "Use your brooch! Call for help!"

Only then did Harry remember the shimmerling brooch. He grasped it in his hand and shouted, "I, Harry Snape, call upon Titania's host for aid!"

The brooch glowed with a pure blue light and Harry felt the earth tremble and he was knocked to his knees. Thunder crashed and lightning exploded in the sky and a swirling glowing vortex formed off to one side of him.

 

HPSSHPSS

 

Cedric reappeared in a bright blue flash outside the labyrinth, the TriWizard Cup clutched in his hands. The Hufflepuff section started to cheer and whoop loudly, for their House had never won any kind of major victory before and they were wildly exhilarated. Amos Diggory, who was seated next to the Snapes, stood up and yelled, "That's my boy! Way to go, Ced!"

The judges were all on their feet as well, applauding, all save for Snape and Karkaroff. Karkaroff had suddenly vanished and Severus was numb, wondering if Harry was all right, or if he was lying unconscious somewhere in the labyrinth.

Cedric, far from looking jubilant, raced across the grass, still holding the Cup, and right up onto the judge's platform to Severus. "Professor Snape, Harry and . . .his vampire are in trouble! The Cup was a Portkey, it took us to some graveyard and the . . .You-Know-Who was there and all the Death Eaters and you've got to bring help, or else they'll die!"

Severus could barely understand him, he was babbling so fast. "Diggory, slow down! What about Harry and Philip?"

Cedric repeated what he had said, just before the members of Hufflepuff House descended upon him and picked him up and marched him around the stadium. "Sir, catch!" he made as if to toss the Cup to Snape.

But Severus waved him off, he had another means of finding Harry. He Summoned his Staff of the Magi and then clasped his Medallion of Inheritance.

"Severus!" Minerva cried, for she had been close enough to hear Cedric's story. "You can't go there alone, you'll be slaughtered! At least let Albus and me call the Order!"

"No time, Minerva. They have my son." Severus cried, then he lowered his head and concentrated. His amulet was linked to Harry's and with it he could track his son unerringly. An image of Harry formed in his mind, and he saw his son exchanging spells with a dark wizard. He quickly called upon his amulet's magic, which acted very much like a Portkey, and vanished, Harry's need wailing a siren call in his head.

Minerva turned to grab Dumbledore. "Albus, we've got to gather the Order! He's returned and Harry and Severus are in danger!"

Before Dumbledore could respond, Alastor marched up, dragging the imposter Moody behind him by the hair.

"What's the meaning of this, Alastor?" asked the Headmaster, sounding puzzled.

"We've been had, Albus." Moody said shortly. "This-this piece of dung has been impersonating me all year using Polyjuice Potion." He indicated his sawed off chunks of hair.  "While I've been trapped in my own trunk, starving, he's been infiltrating the school in the name of his dark master."

Minerva gasped, and next to her Barty Crouch senior went pale as an eggshell.

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed. "How do I know you're not the imposter?"

Moody met his eyes squarely. "You don't. I could be lying. I'm not, but you'd be a fool to take me at my word. Give me Veritaserum. I'm sure Snape has some in his stores.  Matter of fact, give both of us it. But hurry, because I don't want to be late to the brawl. I have a great need to thump some Death Eater scum's arse."

Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. He looked at Minerva. "Summon the Order, Minerva. Alastor, my office, quickly." He turned back and said, almost absent-mindedly, "Barty, come along, old fellow. I'll need a witness for administering the Veritaserum. Ludo, my boy, do congratulate Mr. Diggory for me, there's a good fellow."

Then he hurried away, Moody following, after he had levitated the unconscious imposter for easier transport through the corridors.

HPSSHPSSHPSS

 

Severus arrived in the midst of a war zone.  In addition to most of Voldemort's inner circle, which used to number thirteen, there were also twenty or so other Death Eaters and someone had summoned up a team of skeleton warriors, an easy trick for any necromancer considering they were in a graveyard.  Philip was pressed back against a large headstone that read Tom Riddle, with Harry behind him, striking down any skeleton or Death Eater who drew too near. Smidgen was blinking in and out, using her dreamweaver ability to confuse some of the dark wizards who were susceptible to illusions and mind control. But it was clear that they were woefully outnumbered.

Severus popped up a few feet beyond the headstone, and for a moment or two went unnoticed. He took advantage of that momentary element of surprise to launch an attack of his own.  He used his staff, twirling the black wood about his head and calling down multiple bolts of lightning. The lightning raced all along the black length, crackling and hissing, but leaving the wielder unharmed.

He pointed the lightning wrapped staff at the knot of Death Eaters trying to get past Philip and take Harry.

"Mors Mortus Quintarus!"

There came a sizzling sound and then five huge bolts of purple lightning exploded from the staff and slammed into five Death Eaters, killing them instantly.

The others shrank away, even the skeletons were wary of such a powerful magus.

Phil smirked. "You took your sweet time getting your arse in gear, Sev! What do you think I am, Achilles?"

Severus came out from behind the headstone. "You telling me you can't handle a few undead and some paltry dark sorcerers? You must be losing your edge."

"Dad?" Harry called from behind the vampire.

"Harry, are you all right?"

"Yeah. I'm not dead yet," he quipped.

"Good. Stay that way," Severus instructed, not turning around, though he wanted badly to hug his son. He had to stay focused upon the enemies before him. he brought the staff down parallel across his body, it was glowing with eldritch light.

The Death Eaters began flinging curses at him, screaming, "Snape, you bloody traitor!"

But he blocked them all with the staff, the ebony wood absorbing everything that was cast at it. Then he spun the staff and shouted another word, and all the stored magical energy released in one concentrated burst.

When Harry could see again, most of the skeletons were lying on the ground, never to rise again, and so were five more Death Eaters.

"Get him, you fools!" roared Voldemort. "What are you waiting for?"

"Master," quivered one. "The traitor has a Staff of the Magi."

"So what?" screamed their beloved leader. "I don't care if he has a bomb strapped to his chest, just get in there and kill him! Must I do everything myself?!"

"Bloody blazes, Dad! That staff is wicked!" Harry exclaimed.

"Yes, but I can only do spells like that once in any given day." Severus murmured. He moved forward, deflecting another curse. 

Some of the Death Eaters began moving, trying to flank them. 

Harry wondered frantically where the hell Titania's host was. The portal that he had called into being was still swirling energy and dripping with static magical force, yet nothing had come through yet.  This was an emergency, dammit! What was taking them so long?

Philip lunged at a smallish Death Eater, lifting the witch from the ground and burying his fangs in her throat.  Her scream cut off abruptly, and in a few moments she ceased to move at all. The master vampire tossed her aside, his eyes burning with bloodlust.  "Here, chicky, chicky! The big bad kitty needs another snack." His fangs were stained with the blood of the witch he had just drained, and the cold hard look upon his features was terrifying to behold.

Harry shuddered, seeing for the first time the merciless warrior that lurked within the civilized veneer of the friendly vampire.  And for the first time he saw just how dangerous Philip was when he allowed that side to come out.  The young wizard pressed back against the headstone and thanked God he was not facing Philip as an enemy.  Or Severus either, who had just killed ten Death Eaters without blinking an eyelash.

Kill or be killed. Now he understood the true meaning of that saying. For a moment he felt his stomach turn, then he remembered what sort of people they were facing and what they had done-torturing and killing innocent women, children, Muggleborns and Muggles who had done nothing to anyone. And who were trying to kill him as well, so they could resurrect their dark master. The sick feeling went away, leaving only a raw determination in its place.  This was about survival and he wanted to survive and he wanted his family to survive. And if that meant killing Death Eaters, so be it.

He pointed his wand and fired off a Stunning Hex, then followed it with a Slippery Ground Jinx, which caused several of the advancing necromancers to fall, making easier targets for his father and Phil's wand and sword.

Bellatrix Lestrange crept about the side of the tombstone where the Snapes were standing, her wand leveled at Severus' head. A malicious smile curved up the corners of her red lips and she whispered, "Farewell, Severus Snape! Say hello to your wife for me!" She drew in a breath and cried, "Avada Ked-aghk!"

The rest of the curse was lost as a silveron sword neatly separated her head from her shoulders.

Sarai pulled her fae steed to a halt and eyed the bloody head upon the ground. "Should have looked behind you, crazy bitch." Then she spun her mount and went to fight another Death Eater.

Behind her came what seemed like dozens of fae warriors, streaming through the Gate into the graveyard. One was blowing a silver chased trumpet in the classic call to arms, and all were mounted upon fae horses whose hooves flashed like diamonds. All the warriors were armored and armed in silveron and all of them tore into the Death Eaters with a kind of cold fury.

Philip halted to stare at the line of fae warriors and let out a cheer. "Mother of us all, but they actually came. Look, Harry, do you see? The Queen herself rides in their train?" He pointed to a tall figure wearing silver and electrum plated armor with a purple plume in her helmet. She carried both longsword and wand, and her green eyes were luminous with anger.

Harry's jaw dropped. He had expected Sarai and some sort of guard, but never Titania.  The fae queen radiated such an aura of power that those Death Eaters who were close to her fell on their knees, trembling in awe and terror. The earth shook with the thunder of hooves and overhead flew several fighting falcons, war birds trained to attack and hold an opponent, and several misthounds rode alongside, unleashing furious howls that caused the sorcerer calling up another wave of zombies and wraiths to clutch his ears and scream as the unearthly dogs' baying shattered his eardrums.

The fae host split into thirds like a well-ordered machine, Sarai took her company towards Severus and Harry and surrounded them with a wall of silveron and magic, Titania and her guard made straight for the center of the clearing and Voldemort, who was screaming frantically and trying to burrow beneath the black robes he was wrapped in.  "No! This cannot be! Who has summoned these bloody fae back into the world?" He pointed his wand and zapped a fae warrior off his steed, the warrior rolled to his feet, grimacing with pain, but his sword was out and he was thrusting at a black-robed wizard before the other could cast a spell.

The third part of Titania's personal guard went left, mopping up any stragglers.

The Queen spun her mount and saluted Harry, shouting, "As you have summoned me for aid, little cousin, so I am here. Fear not, we shall soon disperse this rabble."

A beefy Death Eater cast a spell that squirted green venom at Titania. She eyed the other disdainfully and blew up the oncoming venom and it was transmuted to harmless moonbeams. "Is that the best you have? You need a better teacher, necromancer. Let me show you how it's done."

She twitched a finger and flames roared out of her hands and burnt the offending Death Eater to a crisp.  She sniffed. "Next time pay attention, mortal." Then she wheeled her mount and called, "Auvignall, to me! I have a score to settle with yon leader there!"

Her guards closed ranks about her and they charged Voldemort's position in the middle of the graveyard.

The arrival of the fae host threw Voldemort's faithful into chaos. Most of them were unaccustomed to fighting in close quarters, against opponents who were both quicker and stronger magically than they were. They were used to being the biggest baddest bullies on the playground, but their reputation didn't impress Titania's folk in the slightest. 

Wormtail fled, squealing, but he barely made it three feet before a fae warrior slammed him in the back with a lance. He died with barely a whimper, and the fae lord trampled what was left into the dust as he joined the queen's charge.  Harry would have missed it had he not kept his eyes peeled.

He glanced to the side, saw Sarai battling a tall Death Eater that resembled Gregory Goyle, his mask had been knocked off during the fight, he had conjured up a spiked mace and was trying to bash Sarai off her horse.  But the fae Captain was too wily to ever succumb to a trick like that, and she had her mount rear and strike at the Death Eater with flying hooves, driving him back and back.  Then she thrust her sword home in Goyle's chest, gave a half-twist, and pulled back, leaving him bleeding his life out upon the freshly churned earth. Her green eyes were chips of emerald ice. 

Suddenly, Severus' voice rang out. "Sarai! Beware!"

Harry turned and saw that Karkaroff was trying to sneak up on Sarai from behind, holding a long knife made of iron and dripping a green venom. "Behind you!"

Sarai whirled, but the knife would have caught her, quick as she was, if not for Severus, who hurled his staff from him.

In mid-air the staff became a fiery javelin, flying unerringly towards Karkaroff and impaling him in the chest.

The Headmaster of Durmstrang died, a startled expression of disbelief upon his face, before he exploded into ash.

"Coward!" spat Severus, his eyes blazing. "Say hello to the devil on your way to hell." He held out his hand, and the javelin transformed back into wood and blinked into his hand.

"Thank you, Sev!" Sarai called, giving her beloved a salute.

"Nice one, Sev," Phil remarked as he fended off a zombie, decapitating it neatly. "That bastard staked me and would have left me to burn. Poetic justice."

"Right," Severus said, then turned to fight a second zombie.

Harry was pretty well-defended by both Snapes, but even they could not have anticipated the threat that struck at him next.

He saw a blur of movement in the grass to the left of him, but by the time he had turned and was ready to cast, Nagini was already upon him.  The cobra was easily the largest he had ever seen, and she did not respond to his greeting in Parseltongue.

Instead she spread her hood and hissed, "My master bids me s-slay you, S-Speaker, for you are a danger to him and as his familiar I cannot permit it. Therefore, you s-s-shall not s-s-see tomorrow's dawn!"

Her triangular head was a blur as she struck, going straight for his throat.

He had no time to dodge, to conjure a Shield Charm, he saw death reach out Her hand to him in a millisecond. He shut his eyes and thought I'm going to die this time.

He waited for the fangs to sink into his throat, for the burn of venom to pump through his veins and steal away his life.

Instead he heard an angry yowl and a hiss of fury.

He opened his eyes and saw Smidgen atop the serpent's head, clawing and biting at Nagini's eyes. Blood ran in tiny rivulets from the shimmerling's claws and Nagini thrashed and tossed her head, but the fae cat clung like a barnacle, her wings fluttering madly.  :Dark spawn, you shall not harm my charge!:

Nagini hissed and thrashed, slamming the fae cat into the gravestones and the yew tree, but Smidgen refused to be dislodged.

"Smidgen!" yelled Harry, then he did something he never thought he would do. He pointed his wand at the snake and shouted a Burning Hex.  "Incendio!"

Fire blossomed from his wand and struck Nagini, lighting her up like a Roman candle. The cobra began to burn.

"Smidgen, get clear! Get out!"

The fae cat slowly released her hold, springing away just as the giant snake toppled to the dirt, still writhing and burning.

Harry knelt to lift the tiny shimmerling into his hands. She was battered and bloody, her sparkling wings hanging at an odd angle, blood leaking from her nose, her violet eyes dull.  "Oh, God. Smidgen, please . . ."

The violet eyes focused. :Harry . . .you live . . .that is good . . .my friend. . .: her mind voice stuttered as she fought for breath.

"Smidgen, don't . . .you're going to be okay . . ." he whispered, cradling the shimmerling close.

:Will I? I am . . .so cold . . .Harry . . .so cold . . .all debts are paid, Harry Snape . . .a life for a life, my promise kept . . .:

She went still in his hand.

He threw back his head and howled.  "NO!" But his scream was lost in the cacophony of battle.

To one side of him, Philip fenced Lucius again, weaving a deadly dance of destruction with his rapier. The Dark Lord's right hand was faltering against the older, more experienced, and lightning-swift vampire. He was down on one knee, struggling to keep the rapier from his throat.

To the other, Severus and Sarai took down the last remaining undead and a few yards ahead of him, Titania and her guard finished off Dolohov, Narcissa, and the last few of the inner circle, and then the faerie queen dismounted and stood over the shrunken form of Voldemort. His remaining few faithful followers cringed and backed away, leaving him alone to face the wrath of the High Queen.

Titania looked the Dark Lord up and down, and said, in an implacable voice, cold as winter frost, "So, Tom Riddle, we meet again, at last. Did you really think you could escape the justice of the fae? Foolish little mage, you broke a bargain with me, and now your debt has come due."

"I owe you no fealty, daughter of orcs!" Voldemort spat, trying to inch away and grab his wand, which had gotten knocked out of his hand during the fight.

Titania moved and stepped upon his hand, her boot grinding it into the dirt. "Oh no, Tommy. No wands for naughty little wizards."

Voldemort grimaced in agony. But he glared up at her with red eyes full of hate.

 

One of her guard drew his sword and lunged, but Titania held up her hand and he managed to turn the thrust aside. The tip of the blade cut Voldemort's cheek, leaving a thin red line of blood.

"Is human memory really so fallible?" Titania continued, her voice still icy.  "Surely you remember the bargain you struck with me when you were a young man? I gave you hospitality in exchange for your service as court wizard for a year and a day. You claimed you wish to study the ways of my people and learn some of our magical arts. I welcomed you as my honored guest.  But you broke the bargain by fleeing before your term was half-served and not only that, but you killed one of my people in your escape and raped another. I trusted you and you broke your oath! In all of Fairy, there is none so despicable as an oathbreaker and you are oathbreaker and murderer and defiler, triply cursed and triply damned." Her smile stretched, grew pointed and dreadful, like a tiger ready to pounce. "And now, faithless cur, I am here to collect my debt at long last."

Voldemort shrank away from her awful majesty, huddling into the black robe like a child afraid of well-deserved thrashing from a stern parent.  He spoke, his voice humble and devoid of that scintillating arrogance it usually possessed.

"Please, Great Queen, I beg pardon.  Show me mercy . . .I was a foolish apprentice, I suffered from bouts of melancholia and knew not what I did . . .I shall make amends . . ."

The Queen of the Seelie threw back her head and laughed, bitter and low.

"Even now you seek to wriggle out of your responsibility. Do not lie, you knew exactly what you were doing, clever backstabber. But no matter how you wriggle, little viper, you shall not escape my justice. For I am no mortal to be toyed with and a fae never forgets an insult or a bargain broken." Her boot remained firmly upon Voldemort's splayed hand. "Moreover, you have dared offer violence to a member of my family. That is also unforgivable."

You could have heard a pin drop in the graveyard, as fae and wizards alike were frozen, unable to tear their eyes away from the Queen and the one who had dared break his word and not pay the price.

The tip of her sword, glowing with lambent magical energy, touched Voldemort's throat lazily.

A hush descended over the graveyard, as all waited to see what Titania would do.

"Majesty, I beg of you, help my friend!" Harry cried, unable to keep still any longer, his voice cracking with grief, his eyes bright with unshed tears.

Some of the fae gasped and frowned in disapproval at this breach of protocol.

He ran forward and dropped to one knee beside the fae Queen, holding out his cupped hands as if giving an offering. "Please, Your Grace, if you can, save Smidgen. She . . .was injured defending me from Nagini. . .his familiar . . ."

Titania's stony face softened a bit as she beheld the black dreamweaver. "Ah, my ever faithful messenger . . .you deserve better than to travel to the Summer Country so soon. If there is enough Art in my hands, I shall heal you, Inularian." She barked an order to her guards in the liquid syllables of the fae tongue and they immediately surrounded Voldemort, swords drawn, making sure he had no chance to escape or reach his wand. Then she gently took Smidgen from Harry's outstretched hands.   

Harry bowed his head to hide his tears and silently prayed that he was not too late to save the valiant shimmerling, his first real friend out of the realm of Faerie.

Chapter End Notes:
What will happen now?

Titania has something very fitting in mind for Voldemort--the fae never forget nor do they forgive, usually.

Barty Junior will get his commuppance as well next chapter.

Cedric lives as I couldn't bear to let him die this time.

As for Smidgen . . .I'm calling for a vote as I am undecided--should she be allowed to live and spend the rest of her days at Prince Manor or die the death of the valiant? Please include your preference in your review.

Thanks everyone for reading and for all your support. I wouldn't keep writing without it!