Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

I hope you like this. You know the Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, besides the idea. All belongs to Rowling. Oh, btw, Cattus - alio amoveo means Cat-person shift.

The Transformation and the Help missive

Harry sighed with relief as he exited his last finals for that year. School was officially over(though they wouldn't leave for a couple of days yet.) and it felt good to be alive. It had been two weeks since the 'Feline Incident' as he dubbed it, and he smiled wryly at the thought. After he had pounced on Snape(horror upon horrors), he had wandered the hallways until the scent of catnip in cream, as well as fish slathered in it. When he had gotten to his meal, McGonogall had let him eat it before reversing the ears and tail. He considered himself lucky that the only one he'd pounced was Snape.

Coming back to the now and then, Harry walked up to the Gyffindor dormitories to finish packing. Much as he was loathe to leave the castle that he considered more home then his relative's place, he knew that he would never be allowed to stay at the castle alone. As such, for the past three years he had begrudgingly packed and returned to the Dursley's. This time would be no different, which he hoped would be the case. A cold shiver ran down his spine at the thought of what his Uncle would have done if he had seen Harry with ears and a tail. It was not a pleasant thought.

***

A certain blonde Slytherin watched his dark haired nemesis climb the stairs towards the rival house's tower. A smirk played about his lips, and he mouthed silently to himself 'Soon, Potter, you'll regret pouncing on my Head of House that way. Soon.' Draco knew what to do, and when to do it. What would be more uncomfortable and humiliating then going through the summer after your enemy had implemented his revenge plan? Especially one so easy to pull off. He looked forward to the end of school.

***

Harry struggled to pull his heavy trunk (with Hedwig's cage tied on top) onto the train. He was glad that he didn't have much in the way of material possessions, otherwise the task would be shy on impossible. Finally managing it, he grinned with relief. Following his two friends, he sat with them in one of the last empty compartments. He never noticed his worst enemy watching carefully from his own compartment. He never expected to get ambushed while heading for the bathroom. All he knew was he suddenly found himself being pulled inside a compartment, and hearing "Accio Harry's wand!" He cursed himself mentally for letting himself become helpless.

Turning, he glared at the person who had stolen his wand. He was more then pleased to note that it was Malfoy he was glaring at. He said in a icy calm voice "Return my wand, Malfoy." Draco just smirked, twirling Harry's wand tauntingly while pointing his own at the wand's owner. He said "Potter, surely you must have realized that any Slytherin who saw what happened that day would exact revenge? And such a fitting revenge too. No Protego for you this time. Act like a cat, be a cat Potter! Cattus - alio amoveo(Cat-person shift)!!!!"

Harry flinched as a spell was sent flying at him. He hissed in pain as his body began changing from it's normal form. He looked at his hands, which felt like they were on fire, and was shocked to realize that fur was growing on them. As well as sharp claws, which broke from his skin in much the way a werewolf's does. When the transformation was finished, he was a black panther like creature standing on it's hind paws. Which was odd, because his legs were definitly digitigrade.

Harry snarled at Draco "Fool! Did you forget that a cat has natural weapons?!" Malfoy paled at that, and quickly tossed Harry's wand back to him before scooting out the door. Harry then sighed, and began hissing curses in Parseltongue. He dug in his pocket, glad that he always kept his Invisibility Cloak on him whenever he could get away with it. He then threw it over himself, disappearing from view, before going to find the one person who might be able to at least hide him if not return him to his human form; Hermoine Granger.

***

To say that Hermoine was shocked would have been the understatement of the year. But, upon Harry's insistent plea not to make this a big deal, she concentrated on helping her friend. She couldn't turn him back, true, but she cast a strong Glamour on him. She murmured "You'll have to make sure that spell stays up by concintrating on it every morning and every night. If you don't, then you'll reveal yourself to your relatives." She said 'relatives' loosely. They were too cruel to be considered more then that.

Knowing that his very survival may depend on it. he nodded. He did indeed hold the Glamour up the rest of the day, and well into the night after returning to the Dursleys. The trip had been rather boring, actually, which he was grateful for. But in the night he felt a craving for cream, or at least milk. And, as it had been with trying not to pounce Snape, he couldn't ignore the urgings of his cat mind. He soon found himself in the kitchen, quietly opening the fridge to take out the milk so as to pour a glass of it. He had, however, missed jumping the third step. That was what woke his Uncle.

While he was searching for the milk, Harry felt something grab him sharply by the scruff of his neck and pull him back. Turning around, he saw the angry face of his Uncle(currently a deep shade of purple), and knew he was in trouble. Getting dragged upstairs back to his room, he was thrown to the bed with enough force that he bounced slightly. The fear of what his Uncle would do to him was enough for the Glamour to fail. Vernon seemed stunned momentarily, then spat "You really are a freak, aren't you!" in a low whisper. Harry never got the chance to answer, as he was cruelly beaten to near unconcious-ness.

***

An hour before dawn, Harry came out of his almost trance-like state with a soft moan. He looked about, noticing that his glasses were missing. Oddly enough, the room before him was only slightly blurred. He noticed that Hedwig had come in on her own(he had not wanted to risk her safety by bringing her home in the cage). Getting out quill, ink, and parchment, he limped over to the small desk where the owl was perched. Hedwig looked at him with concern, though Harry missed the look. He wrote one word on the parchment, and said softly to his owl "Hey, girl. I'm sorry to send you back out, but this is urgent. Can you get this to Dumbledore or McGonagall?" The owl hooted softly, holding out her leg so that the 'letter' could be tied on. Then with a loving nip, she departed as fast as she could

Harry could only watch, feeling despair creeping upon him. He knew it took Hedwig at least three days to reach the school, and he wondered if he would even still be alive by then. He sighed, and went back to bed to sleep for an hour. His body felt like crap, and he knew it was only going to get worse as the summer progressed. He hoped Hedwig could make it on time.

***

A few days later found Albus, Severus and Minerva the last teachers in Hogwarts. They were sharing a morning meal together when a snowy owl flew in. Minerva gasped, saying "That's Hedwig!!" As the owl swooped, McGongall held out her wrist automatically. Hedwig alighted on the proffered appendage, and held out her letter. Taking it, Minerva offered the owl a piece of bacon, which she gratefully accepted. She then read the message, and paled slightly.

Albus blinked, concerned "What is it, Minerva?" She murmured "I think Harry may be in trouble." Snape raised an eyebrow as if to say 'What could that brat possibly be doing that he needed to bother his teachers?' She glared at him, and said "The letter simply says 'Help'. That's what is most worrying. Harry never asks for help if he can help it."

Albus nodded, and sighed. He murmured "As I have to go to see to some things today, I cannot attend to the problem myself. Severus, Minerva, I suggest you get ready." Severus started, asking sharply "Why should I go see the brat?" The Headmaster said quite sharply "Because, Severus, you and Minerva are the only ones, besides me, in the castle. I don't want either of you to go alone now that Death Eater activity is beginning to increase. Am I understood?"

Severus had the grace to look sheepish, and stated "Yes, Albus." He sighed, and spared a look with Minerva. This was going to be a long day, especially with Albus acting like a mother hen. The Gryffindor Head of House just shrugged at the look, and mouthed 'Don't worry to much.' The Potions Master grimaced slightly. How could he not worry? Though he hated the boy, he knew the truth about what Minerva had said. Potter never asked for help. He sighed, thinking 'A long day indeed.'

Chapter End Notes:
I truly hope this is up to the standard you seem to be liking from me. Though I like doing humor, my penchant goes for kindness etc.