Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
This takes place when Harry is 13.
Introducing Remus Lupin

It was a strange sight that greeted Remus that first of September at the start of Harry's third year at Hogwarts on the train. The boy curled up on the seat opposite of his had shaggy black hair that fell over his face, obscuring most of it unless you happened to be straight in front of him and slightly lower down. He was holding a book he was diligently reading – Magical Fauna – and was wearing discrete glasses. The eyes, only barely visible, were of a startling green colour. The boy had Lily's hands — he noticed that almost immediately, the graceful small hands that had been quite forceful.

The tie around the pale neck was striped green and silver and the badge on the robe displayed the shield of Slytherin.

He must have made some kind of noise, because Harry looked up, then, a wary look on his face and expression guarded. Remus smiled. “Hello, Harry.”

“Sir,” Harry returned with a nod of his head.

“I'm Remus Lupin.”

Harry's eyes narrowed. “I see. Professor Snape told me about you, Professor.”

Remus eyebrows shot up. “Severus?” Then he laughed wearily. “Ah, I see. I can't imagine he had anything kind to say.”

Harry shook his head. “No, not quite.”

Remus smiled again. “It was long ago.”

“I suppose, sir. Are you a good teacher?”

“Why do you ask?” Remus asked, bemused.

“Because,” Harry said drily, “the first teacher had a vengeful spirit sticking out from the back of his head, and last year we had that...pompous...Gilderydidy Lock...hart? Each year, I expect to learn something and so far Professor Snape’s taught me more in detention and during the holidays.”

-x-

“I need you to clarify something for me, sir,” Harry said slowly, most of his attention focused on the open book in his lap.

Remus put down the quartz crystal he was preparing for the Seventh Years and looked up. He recognised the book Harry was reading almost immediately. Recognised it quite intimately, in fact, seeing as Severus had used him as the prime example while writing it. “Of course, Harry.”

“You say you knew my parents, that my father was your best friend. You even say you watched me quite a few times when I was a baby.”

Remus nodded. “I did, yes.”

“Then why didn't you take me in?”

Remus froze. “I—...it—”

Harry looked up then, a calculating light in his eyes, and nodded. “Thought so.” Then he muttered, “No one's afraid of pizza plates anyway...”

“I see,” Remus murmured, running a hand through his hair and suddenly looking much more tired and worn than usual. “Have you told anyone?”

Harry rolled his shoulders. “I don't know if you've noticed, sir, but I don't exactly have friends. Who would I've told? Besides, I'd rather not risk the first decent teacher I've ever had on the off chance that there might be a better one to find for next year. The statistics are not in favour.”

Remus looked away. “How Slytherin of you,” he murmured after a while. “Do...do people give you a hard time for not being your father's child through and through?”

“First Year was worst,” Harry admitted after several minutes, still staring at the open book in his lap, but no longer seeing the words. “I'm more ignored than noticed these days. I prefer it like that.”

“They never speak of your mother?”

Harry shrugged. “Professor Snape does, sometimes. I don't like asking him, though.”

Laughing quietly, without humour, Remus nodded slowly. “I don't imagine he would… They were very close, in school. I know James never liked it, but Lily was never very fond of...some of James' friends, so it evened out. Your mother was a remarkable woman, Harry. A clever, talented witch who would have been at home in any of the Houses. 'Act, don't react', she used to say.” Remus broke off as Harry began laughing softly. “Harry?”

“Professor Snape says that, too...”

Smiling kindly, Remus smacked his lips. “I should have known. Childhood friends often share so much many of us will never know or realise.” Remus rubbed one wrist, thoughtful. He levelled Harry with an imploring gaze, and asked, “Does it bother you? What I am?”

“A werewolf?” Remus nodded, and Harry shrugged. “Essentially, sir, I'm a Muggleborn. And… I know what it's like. Being different. So no,” he finished quietly, “it doesn’t bother me. But then…” Harry trailed off as Remus managed a small smile and Harry felt a weird, warm fluttering sensation in his chest. “Sir?”

“...but then, you don't really know any better, so to speak.” Remus completed the half finished sentence with a wry grin.

Harry nodded. “Yeah. But I understand now why Professor Snape taught me all those spells.”

Chapter End Notes:
Next will be Sirius Black at the end of 3rd year.