Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone. Sorry it's taken so long. I started a new job and have been really busy. Hope you like it.
True to oneself

Snape stared at Harry for another long moment before accio’ing his wand silently from the ground where he’d flung it.

‘You do not throw your wand around like it is child’s plaything, no matter how angry or upset you may get. Understand?’

He held the wand out to Harry who made no move to take it, standing stock still in the faint drizzle of the dismal afternoon.

‘Take the wand, Harry.’ Snape ordered.

Harry obstinately kept his arms folded.

‘Take the wand now, Potter, or you won't use it for the rest of the week save in lessons, ’ Snape told him sternly.

Harry snatched his wand from the older wizard’s hand.

‘I still won’t do it,’ he told Snape as he shoved it in his pocket.

Snape gave him a hard look, drawing his lips together in a thin line of displeasure.

‘Let me make this absolutely clear to you, Potter,’ he said in a low, dangerous tone. ‘You wanted to see how this spell works. Indeed, your actions with Draco made it absolutely necessary that you learn about it. Merlin forbid that you forfeit this opportunity for enlightenment.’

As Snape was speaking, the rain had began to fall more heavily so he broke off from his lecture briefly to cast a quick charm to prevent them becoming soaked. Having done this, the Professor continued where he had left off.

‘The first time I witnessed this spell being used, indeed the only occasion when I have seen anyone apart from you use it, was when I witnessed an endeavour by the Dark Lord many years ago. Titan Navitas is a spell that most wizards are simply incapable of casting. And on the rare occasions when individuals do manage to cast it they risk adverse effects. The spell has been cited in numerous obscure books over the years, but so few times that many experts consider the spell to be little more than a legend with no truth behind it. Obviously we know better than this, but there is certainly no documented evidence of its use in recent times. Any modern wizards who are able to use it appear unwilling to come forward. You need to understand that I am...reluctant to allow you to even attempt this spell, but, like it or not, there is some merit in your belief that it could prove a valuable weapon for the future--a weapon that your opponents will not expect or be prepared for.’

Harry tried to digest all of this and latched onto the main thing which struck him.

‘You said that Voldemort knows about it...that he used it?’

Snape inclined his head and gave a slight sigh.

‘Some sixteen years ago I was present when the Dark Lord made what was his first--and what I can be fairly certain was also his last--attempt to use this spell.’

Snape paused for a moment as if considering how to continue, his face a stony mask hiding any emotion he might be feeling.

‘The Dark Lord was always keen to explore the more obscure dark spells. He developed a certain fascination with Titan Navitas. At first he ordered several Death Eaters to experiment with the spell, but this led no where. Eventually he demanded for a group of Muggles to be brought to him. By this point I believe he was fixated upon becoming the only person able to cast that spell. So the Dark Lord used that spell on them- one after another, seemingly growing stronger and more powerful during the process. Eventually, however, even he could go no further...’

‘How many did he kill?’ Harry whispered, looking down once more at the two dead mice which lay at his feet.

‘Eight.’ Snape replied shortly. ‘But it must be borne in mind that he only reached that number because the Muggles had little power and energy to offer him. They were children. Some of them... some of them were very young, little more than infants. In any case, eventually the Dark Lord himself could proceed no further. He fell back, unconscious. He was feverish, disorientated and racked with tremors for about a week afterwards. I believe that cured him of any further desire to experiment with Titan Navitas. It seems that the spell benefits the person gaining power, but only up to a certain point. Although the danger primarily applies to the subject from which power is being extracted, this is certainly not exclusive.’

‘I can’t believe you wanted me to even try to use it,’ Harry said slowly. ‘Considering all of that.’

‘You need to understand exactly what you are delving into,’ Snape snapped back at him. ‘You endangered Draco by attempting to cast it upon him, and you also put your own safety in jeopardy.’

‘You should have told me all of this after I first used it.’

Snape glared back at him. ‘I told you it was dangerous, and I didn’t imagine that you would be such a fool as to start experimenting without supervision. I’m telling you all of this now, so you can truly appreciate the situation.'

‘So when I used Titan Navitas on you...’

‘You depleted your strength and felt the after effects.’

‘I couldn’t walk at first. I just felt exhausted and needed to sleep,’ Harry remembered. ‘Even with all those Pepper-Up Potions.’

‘Don’t forget that you were knocked unconscious initially and barely able to speak, let alone cast a spell when you first came around,’ Snape added testily. ‘Do you see, now, how well this spell would incapacitate your enemies if you could master it? I take it you now understand why it is crucial for you to continue and become capable of controlling Titan Navitas, so you can utilise it however the situation warrants without risking your own wellbeing. Now,’ Snape said, gesturing at the mouse which was still frozen in front of them, ‘try again.’

Harry shook his head, taking a pace backwards. ‘I’m sorry...I do understand what you’re saying, but I really can’t kill any more mice, not when I know that’s what’s going to happen. I’ve tried twice and I’ve tried whispering the spell--I barely said it at all a moment ago, and the last one still died. So there’s no point, is there? Nothing will be different this time?’

‘We might find a way to make this work, for you to control your use of the spell.’

‘Do you really believe that? If there hasn’t ever been anyone who was able to control it?’ Harry looked searchingly at the Professor. ‘I didn’t think so,’ he answered himself.

Snape looked thoughtful, eventually musing, ‘Of course mice are problematic in that they can have very little energy or power in the first place. This doubtlessly places them at high risk as subjects. Now perhaps a slightly larger mammal, a rabbit or chicken for example...’

‘No!’ Harry interrupted emphatically.

‘No,’ Snape said slowly, ‘I didn’t think that would sit too well with you.’ He exhaled loudly in frustration. Then, turning suddenly, he muttered an incantation as he pointed his wand at the ground. Gradually drawing his wand up, Harry could feel the ground around him vibrating ever so slightly, and he heard a series of thuds. Moments later the ground hollowed out beside the mice, with a mound of earth appearing nearby. With an almost lazy series of flicks of his wand, Snape deposited the mice in the hole, and the earth moved once more to cover them.

Harry shuddered. He didn’t want to think about when Snape might have used that spell before.

Snape spun on his heel, his robe billowing out behind him as he strode forward. Glancing back at Harry, he ordered impatiently: ‘Come.’

They made their way back to the castle in silence, Harry trailing slightly behind his Professor’s furious pace.

‘Are you mad with me?’ he asked eventually as they approached the main doors.

‘No, Potter, I’m not “mad” with you,’ Snape snapped back at him. ‘This was an exercise purely for your own benefit, but, as you are determined to be too short-sighted to utilise the opportunity, there is little point in us blundering about outside and catching our deaths of cold.’

For someone who wasn’t mad, Snape certainly maintained a passable impression of a foul mood as they made their way back through the building.

Uncertain if he was now dismissed from his detention, Harry followed him back as far as the entrance of Slytherin. As the Potions Master continued to ignore him, he took his leave and slipped away, heading back towards the Gryffindor common room.

***

‘So what do you both think?’ Harry and Hermione were seated on the sofa in a corner of the Gryffindor common room, and Ron was perched on the arm of the sofa nearest Hermione.

Harry had given them a brief summary of his detention.

‘I think you were completely right, Harry,’ Hermione said, frowning. ‘No one can expect you to do anything like that. I can’t believe that Professor Dumbledore would allow it if he knew.’

‘Yeah, but if it helped him learn that spell, maybe it would have been worth it...’ Ron said, considering.

‘You really think he should have carried on then? You like the idea of Harry having to kill those defenceless animals?’

‘No, of course not. It’s just... Well. I can see exactly why you couldn’t carry on. I mean you tried twice, right? But, I guess to someone like Snape it would probably seem like nothing. I mean, you said he wasn’t bothered by the dead mouse... well imagine the other dead bodies he must have seen over the years as a Death Eater. No wonder it didn’t seem a big deal to him and he got so pushy with you.’

‘I think he thinks I’m pathetic because I gave up.’ Harry said smiling weakly as he added wryly, ‘But what’s new?’

‘Really Harry, the very idea that he would encourage you to attempt this... Titan Navitas,’ Hermione automatically lowered her voice, although they had already cast Muffilato around them. ‘when it’s clearly one of the darkest of spells, it’s shocking.’

‘Yeah, I guess overall it is pretty out of order of him, mate,’ Ron added. ‘I mean you couldn’t exactly help it before--you were saving him and you didn’t even understand what you were doing. But it’s obviously not a spell you’d ever want to repeat, so he shouldn’t make you...’

‘Um...there’s something else I didn’t tell you both,’ Harry interrupted Ron awkwardly. ‘You know I said I got these detentions for trying to hex Malfoy?’

Both Ron and Hermione looked at him expectantly.

‘Well. I... kind of tried to use Titan Navitas on him--just non-verbally to see if it would work. Of course I didn’t know the incantation then so it didn’t...’

Harry.’ Hermione sounded scandalised. ‘How could you?’

‘Yeah, but he wouldn’t have done it if he’d known what it could do, right mate?’ Ron said loyally, although he too was staring at Harry as though he couldn’t believe his ears.

‘No...of course not. But I should have known,’ Harry replied slowly. ‘I mean Snape did tell me it could be dangerous, but I wasn’t thinking and I was only going to do it for a second...oh, heck, it was stupid.’

‘So Professor Snape knows that you tried this on his god-son? Hermione asked worriedly.

‘Yeah, he went a bit berserk with me when he first found out,’ Harry admitted. ‘It’s why I ended up with all the detentions.’

‘Phew, rather you than me, mate,’ Ron said. ‘He’s always taken that little brown-noser’s side in everything ever since we’ve ever been at Hogwarts.’

‘Yeah but this time it really was my fault, not Malfoy's,’ Harry pointed out. ‘So I guess he had a point.’

***

At dinner that evening Harry picked at his food. He didn’t feel sick, but he had no appetite with all the thoughts flying through his head. It hadn’t helped that Hermione and Ron had been so shocked with what he had done--making him feel about a thousand times worse. How could I have been so stupid? He hated Malfoy, he really did, but to cast a spell upon him which actually risked killing him? Harry took a deep breath trying to steady his emotions, pushing his plate away.

‘I’m heading back to Slytherin.’ He muttered to Hermione and Ron who were sat beside him. They nodded and didn’t try to stop him, although he usually went to the Gryffindor common room until the end of curfew. Perhaps they though he had been told to go and report to Snape? The truth was Harry simply wanted some time alone to get his head straight.

Sloping into the Slytherin common room, Harry glanced warily around him. He still didn’t trust the Slytherins, and he knew that Malfoy and his gang would make his life hell if given half the chance, but he was pretty good at avoiding them most of the time.

Making it to his dorm without any hassle, Harry was relieved to find it empty. He allowed his composure to slip, with tears silently coursing down his cheeks. I am such an idiot. Useless. He couldn’t stop thinking about those mice lying there, deadly still. It was the only time he’d ever been responsible for killing anything. And to think he could have done that to Malfoy! He could have died and he would have ended up in Azkaban, quite rightly...

He wiped his face with the sleeve of his robe but the tears continued to flow.

Snape was still angry with him, Harry knew, and probably thought he was just being stubborn in refusing to obey during the detention. But Harry could actually appreciate what the older wizard was trying to do. Of course, punishment was part of it, but Harry had realised from the frustration etched on Snape’s face that he truly wanted him to learn this spell. After all, if he could master it, it would be a tremendous advantage, and heaven knows he would need one, as he had no doubt that he would eventually end up meeting Voldemort once more.

In that light, refusing to practise upon a mouse seemed childish and short-sighted. But I simply can't.

Wiping his face once more, Harry decided to head for Snape’s study. He wanted to have it out with him. It might not help, in fact chances were that he would just end up making the situation worse, but he had to try. He was sure he wouldn’t be able to get things straight in his own head until he did.

Heading for the door, Harry suddenly became aware that any Slytherin who saw him would realise he’d been crying. Well, he had an Invisibility Cloak, after all. Wrapping it around him, he headed down the corridor.

Removing the cloak from his head as he entered the room, it was soon apparent that Snape wasn’t there. Harry threw himself onto a chair by the desk, deliberating over whether to wait here, try Snape’s rooms, or give up and return to his dorm. Harry sniffed, choking back the last of his tears. It was probably a stupid idea to seek him out while he was still angry, after all. Just as Harry was thinking this, he heard voices behind him, and realised that it wasn’t just Snape who was coming in. Startled, Harry jumped and, without making the conscious decision to do so, automatically pulled his cloak back over his head a moment before Snape and a strange man entered the room.

Snape gestured with his hand towards an armchair in the corner, and the stranger sat. He was average height with very short fair hair, was dressed smartly in navy blue robes, and, from the restless manner in which he sat, Harry could see he was agitated about something.

‘Mr. Donovan will be along directly,’ Snape said. ‘Drink?’

This is ridiculous and Snape is going to be furious. Harry knew he ought to say something straight away. However, in his embarrassment to be seen in tears, he made the fatal mistake of hesitating to make his presence known.

The man shook his head.

‘So I take it there’s been no change in Connor’s behaviour?’ His voice held traces of barely concealed anger.

Snape poured himself some water and took a sip.

‘He has been behaving much as we expected. A slightly toned-down version from his theatrics back in Ireland, due to him finding himself on unfamiliar territory no doubt.’ He replied evenly.

‘And his work?’

‘The boy does well when puts in a modicum of effort.’

The man snorted. Just then there was a tap at the door.

‘Enter.’

Connor appeared in the doorway. Hopefully the man would leave to go and speak to Connor someplace else.

‘Oh...you,’ Connor said, disgustedly freezing in the doorway upon seeing the man who had stood up at his knock.

Donovan! Stop loitering and get your miserable persona into this room immediately,’ Snape said irritably.

Connor reluctantly came into the room and closed the door behind him. A tense atmosphere filled the room as he shared a look of mutual antipathy with the man.

At this point, Snape decided against remaining in the poisoned atmosphere, perhaps because he was simply unwilling to waste any more of his time on Donovan. In any case, he made his excuses and left the two wizards alone in his office with their unwilling eavesdropper.

Connor carelessly threw himself into the armchair opposite where the man was stood. Thank goodness he didn't choose the chair where I am, not two feet away!

‘So? What do you want?’ he demanded insolently, without making eye contact.

‘Connor.’ Harry could see that amidst the anger there was concern in the man’s voice. ‘Your father asked me to check on you. He misses you. You haven’t written to him or your stepmother since you’ve been here. Or Katie. It’s not fair on them.’

‘Hhmph, my father!’ Connor smiled sarcastically in a manner that Harry didn’t understand.

‘This behaviour is ridiculous, Connor. You’re cutting off your nose to spite your face.’

Connor shrugged.

The man took a pace towards him, but Connor sprang quickly to his feet, shedding his lazy good-humoured facade in a moment.

‘Ah, you're going to try and throw me round the room some more, you old bastard?’’ he spat. ‘’Cos I won’t take it this time. He’s not my father. Not now, no more than I’m his son. If he misses me, he shouldn’t have sent me away. y nose my face and I’ll cut it off if I damn well want to!’

‘Connor!’ the man shouted threateningly.

They faced each other, practically nose to nose, and Harry cringed under his cloak.

‘Get a hold of yourself. Sit down,’ the man ordered, turning away, breathing heavily, and fighting to control himself.

He reached into his cloak but didn’t draw his wand like Harry expected. Instead, he withdrew a rolled-up parchment, which he thrust at Connor, who was still standing by the desk.

‘Read it.’

‘I’ll take it with me and read it later.’

‘You’ll read it here so I can see that you do,' the man ordered. ‘Have you even read any of the other letters?’

Connor shook his head, throwing the letter on the floor and heading for the door.

‘You can’t make me,’ he said simply. ‘Even before you had no real control over me, and now that I’m here what can you do to me which isn’t already being done? I was grounded and had my allowance taken away before I even arrived at Hogwarts. I’ve been in detention every day since I’ve been here. You took my vault key, my broomstick and restricted whom I can owl. I can’t contact any of my friends and it turns out that I have no family. I have nothing to lose. Nothing. I might as well be thrown in Parvel with him.’

Connor turned the handle.

‘Connor.’ Harry realised that all traces of anger were gone from the man’s voice.

‘Just... leave me alone Declan,’ Connor said wearily as he pulled the door shut behind him.

Thinking himself alone, Declan sat down and allowed his head to fall into his hands for a moment before sitting up straight as Snape came back in.

‘I have just seen Mr. Donovan in the corridor,’ Snape observed. ‘He seemed...somewhat ruffled? I trust that he listened to everything you had to say before indulging in his usual temper tantrum? Or would you like for me to send for him to come back?’

Declan sighed, picking up the scroll where Connor had thrown it.

‘Will you give this to him? He won’t read it or write back, but I don’t think there is any point in me trying to speak to him any further.’

Snape nodded and offered Declan the Floo powder, which was kept above his fireplace.

‘I take it that you are Flooing to Troon before crossing?’

‘Yes, like when I came here before,’ Declan replied, taking some Floo powder. ‘Severus, I just wanted to say that I do appreciate what you’re doing for the boy in having him here. I know he is acting like a little shit, but this truly is the best place for him to be at the moment, whatever he may think.’

After saying this, Declan threw the powder in the fire and Floo’d away.

Snape carefully set the Floo powder back above the fireplace and glanced at the scroll in his hand. He sat down at his desk, apparently lost in deep thought, and Harry had to stifle a sigh--he’d hoped Snape would go and give the letter to Connor straight away so he could escape. Instead, Snape reached for some papers and began to read, making the occasion notes in the margins as he went through.

Harry closed his eyes, wincing in despair. Snape seemed set for the evening, so unless he decided to go and look for him to see why he hadn’t came along to his quarters as usual (which he probably wouldn’t considering the acrimonious way they had parted earlier) he wouldn’t get a chance to slip away for hours.

He had already been stuck, stock still under the cloak for what felt like ages, practically holding his breath so that Declan and Connor wouldn’t realise he was there. The minutes dragged and Harry felt an overwhelming urge to move, as his left leg had gone to sleep. If he could just shift positions slightly it would be better...

Snape head shot up sharply at the slight rustle and Harry froze with bated breath.

‘Who’s there?’ Snape asked cautiously drawing his wand.

Oh Merlin. There was nothing for it... he couldn’t stay hidden all evening anyway and it wasn’t like he had meant for this to happen.

Sheepishly he pulled the cloak down to his shoulders revealing his bodiless head to Snape.

Harry!’

Snape's furious reaction made Harry wish he’d stayed hidden, dead leg or not. He cringed back, disappearing under the cloak as if seeking comfort.

‘What on earth do you think you are doing? Get out from there at once.’ Then, after a pause, ‘Now,’ Snape snarled.

Reluctantly, Harry took the cloak off completely.

‘You think it’s a good idea to hide in my office and eavesdrop on private conversations?’ Snape thundered.

‘I didn’t... I mean,’ Harry said, hurriedly catching sight of Snape’s expression. ‘I know I did but I didn’t mean to, honestly.

Pass me that.’

Harry didn’t dare to argue as he passed his Invisibility Cloak over.

Snape snatched the cloak up and kept hold of it as he folded his arms pointedly. ‘Explain.’

‘I came to your office with the cloak on to avoid Malfoy and that lot in the corridors. I was waiting for you, but when I heard that you were coming in with someone else, I pulled the cloak back over me. I didn’t want to eavesdrop, I swear! But then I couldn’t get away without them...well…and the longer I was there, the harder it was to interrupt and say ‘Opps ‘scuse me.’ Harry’s voice had a slightly hysterical ring to it.

‘Why did you pull the cloak over yourself when I entered with Mr O’Kelly?’

Harry squirmed, feeling ridiculous.

‘I ...just...I...It was stupid, ’he said at last. ‘I just did it without thinking. I...needed to speak to you but I didn’t want anyone else to see that I was upset.’

Snape hesitated unsure how to react to this. So he had came to his quarters to confide in him about being upset but was so unwilling to let his defences down in front of anyone else that this had led to the whole mess. It seemed that with one thing and another, he continually had to rein in his temper and try not to overreact in case he destroyed the fragile trust that they were gradually building. But surely the boy knew better than this!

‘I’m really, really sorry,’ Harry said quietly. ‘Honestly.’

‘All right,’ Snape ground out.

‘What?’

Snape sighed. ‘I accept your apology. I don’t think you intended for events to unfold as they did. In your ineptitude, you managed to witness a private conversation, which I am sure both Mr Donovan and Mr O’Kelly would not thank you for. You can feel grateful that that you overheard nothing of any importance. If you had overheard, by design or not, any more pertinent conversations I would not be able to let this manner drop with such ease.’

Snape wondered if this was clear enough for the brat and decided to spell it out so there could be no more misunderstandings.

‘That is to say, Potter, that I will not accept this excuse on a second occasion. And if you EVER overhear ANYTHING IN MY STUDY AGAIN or any of MY conversations, your life will not be worth living.’

Harry cringed from the sudden volume of the last statement, and slunk towards the door.

Snape took a deep breath. ‘Harry, come and sit down. I want you to tell me why you were upset.’

Harry hesitated. He expected him to talk to him after he’s just yelled at him like that? But then he guessed for Snape that had been pretty restrained. And what had he said, really–other than ‘no harm done, but do it again and you’re dead’?

He sat down.

‘I just...it was all going through my head. Titan Navitas, Malfoy, the mice dying... I really am sorry that I tried to use it on Malfoy. If I’d thought for one second that it could do that to him I’d never have done it...’

Harry’s eyes were filling up with tears once more which he brushed away surreptitiously.

‘I know you wouldn’t.’

Harry looked up in surprise. He was expecting more insults and barbed comments. He deserved them after all.

‘You do?’

‘Harry, you seem fixated upon your belief that the detention was a punishment. And although I do feel you ought to appreciate the full dangers inherent in using Titan Navitas this was not to teach you a lesson in the way you perceive. I do realise you would not endanger another students life intentionally.’

‘The mice...’ Harry whispered. ‘I know you think I should have kept going... until I figured out a way to control the spell. But I just can’t do that.’

Snape drummed his long fingers on the table.

‘I won’t deny that I found it exasperating that you refused to carry on. They are only mice, after all.’ Snape gave a slight shrug. ‘I sometimes forget how young you are. You might have been involved in some awful events, but you have managed to retain your innocence in spite of them.’

Harry cast his eyes down. So Snape thought he was a baby. A little kid who couldn’t hack getting his hands dirty? Well, he supposed it was true. There were things he couldn’t do – like the mice and, by extension, a hell of a lot of other things, he supposed.

‘I just think that if I did that, I wouldn’t be true to myself,’ Harry mumbled self-consciously. It wouldn’t be me. 'I know that sounds stupid,' he said aloud, thinking Hell, it is stupid. 'If I can’t bring myself to kill a mouse, then how am I ever going to... you know.’

Snape stared at him. The boy didn’t know about the prophecy, Dumbledore had assured him of that.

‘Going to...what?’ He asked in a strange tone.

Harry shrugged. ‘It just seems that with the way things have gone so far, I’m bound to end up meeting Voldemort again. And considering all the things he’s done, I want to be ready for it... I need to be. If I can’t kill a mouse, then what chance do I have against him?’ Harry blushed slightly. ‘I know that sounds really big-headed. Like I’m buying into my fame or something. I don’t mean it like that...’

It seemed that the brat understands enough, even without the prophecy being revealed to him. It was to be expected, Snape supposed. Harry had half a brain, when he bothered to use it, and the repeated encounters had formed a pattern from which the boy realised that he was destined to fight the Dark Lord again one day.

Harry avoided Snape eyes as he added in a small voice, ‘I didn’t want to have to face him again, you know. But if I have to I want to be able to. I want to be ready.’

‘You will be,’ Snape said seriously. ‘Titan Navitas is but one spell. Your Occlumency is continually improving, and I mean to introduce you to a series of advanced-level defence shields in the coming weeks. This is to say nothing of the fact that I will also be tutoring you in your other subjects, especially potions.’

‘Thanks,’ Harry said softly. ‘I’m going to work really hard as well. Take it seriously.’

‘You will not be given the choice to do otherwise, under my supervision,’ Snape assured him. ‘And you have already shown me with the Occlumency that you are willing to do your best. You just need to ensure that you engage your brain at all times in the future. It’s one thing having detention with me. At least I will ensure that we use the time effectively. But I don’t want you wasting your evenings or exposing yourself to danger this year.’

Harry nodded amenably. Then he remembered the conversation he had overheard. ‘Did you realise that Connor has been in detention every night since he has been here?’ he asked hesitantly.

Snape raised his eyebrows. ‘You don’t say,’ he commented expressionlessly.

‘It’s just...’ Harry ploughed on, ‘he doesn’t get to go to Hogsmeade or fly or hear from his friends back home. He said he may as well be in Parvel. What does that mean?’

‘Parvel is Ireland’s version of Arzkban.’

‘Oh. And another thing.’ Harry suddenly remembered, ‘He said to that Declan guy, I mean Mr. O’Kelly, that he shouldn’t throw him around the room this time. I think he might have hit him before!’

‘Mr. O’Kelly was Mr. Donovan’s tutor back in Ireland, and a close family friend,’ Snape said smoothly. ‘It would not altogether surprise me if he has felt the need to physically chastise Mr. Donovan in the past. It is very likely that he deserved it.’

Harry jaw tightened at this. ‘Yeah, right. Just like I deserved it when my uncle belted me, I guess?’ He stood up in disgust.

‘Sit down, Harry.’

Harry wasn’t sure if it was the fact that for once it sounded more like a request than a command, or simply the tiredness in Snape’s voice, but he sat down again, still bristling.

‘No one deserves that,’ Harry said quietly. ‘Hermione thinks that Connor might be really unhappy, and that’s why he behaves the way he does.’

For a moment, Snape leaned his head back, half closing his eyes, and for a moment Harry thought he was going to say that he wasn’t interested in the minutia of teenager’s moods and crises.

When he did speak, Snape surprised him by attempting to hear him out. ‘So, tell me Harry. Did you feel that Mr. Donovan seemed particularly threatened by Mr. O’Kelly’s presence? Or has he mentioned any abuse to you at other times?’

‘I guess not. But I never told anyone about my uncle,’ Harry muttered, focusing on his feet.

There was a pause during which Harry darted a quick look up before looking away quickly from Snape’s dark gaze.

‘No, you didn’t,’ the professor replied at last. ‘May I ask why?’

Harry shrugged. ‘It wasn’t that bad.’

Snape snorted.

It wasn’t,’ Harry insisted firmly. ‘This summer was far worse than normal.’

‘Considering that you barely survived this summer, I should hope so,’ Snape sneered back at him.

‘I wasn’t exactly at death’s door.’

‘You weren’t far from it,’ Snape replied unrelentingly. ‘How many of your ribs was it that he broke?’

Harry looked away again. ‘I don’t want to talk about it.’

Snape narrowed his eyes. ‘How bad were the previous summers? And the years before you came to Hogwarts?’

‘We’ve talked about this,' Harry protested. They had briefly touched upon it during some of the conversations they’d had over the summer. But never in much detail, and Harry had never been happy to provide any real specifics. Tonight, Snape sensed that he might be susceptible to sharing more.

He let his gaze linger on the boy, using the silence to draw out his response.

Harry gave a deep sigh.

‘Whatever, I guess you’ve seen the worse bits already,’ he shrugged, his voice bland and unemotional. ‘I had to work. You know that. Chores, errands, you name it, I did it. You saw bits in the Occlumency lessons. They didn’t hit me when I did what I was told...’

Snape caught Harry’s eye.

‘...well not always, anyway,’ Harry corrected himself. ‘If anything, Dudley and his friends were the most dangerous if they got hold of me, knocking me down the stairs and stuff. Picking on me in school.’

‘And how were your uncle and aunt to you in other respects? Did they feed you?’

‘I’m here now aren’t I?’ Harry retorted.

Snape raised one eyebrow. ‘So you hoarded food at my house for no apparent reason?’

Shit. He’d forgotten about that. ‘It wasn’t that bad,’ Harry said stubbornly. ‘I had to cook all the meals so if I was careful I usually managed to eat bits and pieces.’ There is no way I'm going to admit to eating the leftover scraps from their plates when clearing the table... Or the times I had eaten bread that was mouldy because it was the only thing I could swipe without them seeing. Anyway, it wasn’t as if they never fed me.

‘Why do you constantly try to excuse how they treated you?’ Snape was genuinely baffled. He’d had a bloody awful childhood himself, what with one thing and another. But it had left him with a burning hatred for his father and bitter ambition for revenge. ‘Don’t you even feel angry with your relatives?’

‘I wouldn’t mind going back and hexing Dudley a few times,’ Harry said with a half smile on his face and glint in his eyes. ‘I think my Uncle already got what he deserved. As for my Aunt...’ An expression so bleak that it chilled Severus to behold it spread across his face. ‘What can you do anyway? It’s not like you can force someone to love you, after all. I’m happy so long as I don’t ever have to go back there ...’

Severus noticed Harry glancing towards him expectantly. He seemed to need constant reassurance on this point, no matter how many times he was told the same thing.

‘No, Harry for the hundredth time you will never be going back there,’ Severus said adamantly. ‘Unless of course, you choose to go back and carry out your plans for your cousin, in which case I shall accompany you to enjoy the spectacle.’

Harry gave a faint smile. ‘Thanks. I don’t think I actually will though.’

‘Perhaps you should,’ Snape replied seriously. ‘It’s only natural to desire closure. There are ways around the restrictions on underage magic should you need them...’

The ghost of a smile on Harry’s face had disappeared.

‘I don’t think so,’ he replied. ‘I’d rather just forget a lot of my past.’

Snape gave a slight shrug. ‘That’s fine as far as it goes, but sometimes our past reaches out to us. injuries need to be addressed. Retribution needs to be sought.’

For a moment what had happened with Moody flashed through Harry’s mind, and, in that moment he was certain that Snape was planning something to get the old Auror back. Of course, thinking about it, that was fairly obvious. There could be no doubt that the Slytherin wouldn’t have plots afoot for revenge.

Feeling slightly uneasy Harry clambered to his feet.

‘I’d better go...’ He darted a quick look at his cloak, but from the way Snape was holding it, he knew he wouldn’t be getting it back tonight. Well, he hadn’t really expected differently, all things considered.

‘Clear your mind,’ Snape ordered him.

Harry shrugged and mumbled through a yawn. ‘When don’t I?... 'Night P’fessor.’

Severus nodded briefly to him as the boy left.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks, once again, to Anachronistic Anglophile for taking the time to Beta this chapter. As always, any remaining mistakes are mine alone.