Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Slytherin apology

‘I need to speak to you Potter.’ Malfoy Looked Harry directly in the eyes without any trace of a sneer. ‘I want to tell you how sorry I am for how I behaved yesterday.’

***

‘You what?’ Harry’s mind raced as he tried to work out what Malfoy’s game was. There’s no way he’s really apologising to me. What is he playing at?

‘I shouldn’t have said the things I did yesterday- about your Godfather, I mean, or about Granger being a m...’ Malfoy managed to catch himself at the last moment. ‘...a muggle-born or about Weasley’s family. It was out of order.’

‘Yes,’ Harry replied watching him suspiciously, ‘it was.’

‘And I’m sorry for raising my wand at you and for kicking you,’ Draco said quietly.

‘Anything else?’

‘No. Just to let you know- it won’t happen again.’

There was a pause where both boys stared at each other in awkward silence.

‘Your face...’ Harry said uncomfortably. ‘It looks awful.’

‘This? Oh, I’m sure I’ll be fine.’ Malfoy replied dismissively. There’s no point making a fuss without an audience, after all.

‘It looks painful though.’

The Slytherin looked away briefly as if to keep a grasp on his temper. ‘Yes, well don’t flatter yourself, Potter. I’m sure that knocking into the book case did more damage than your fist.’

Harry flushed.

‘I didn’t... What I meant was- can’t you get it healed?’

‘Yes, well. I’m going to, of course.’ Malfoy said lightly.

Another awkward pause followed. Eventually Malfoy broke the silence in the end as Harry seemed tongue-tied. ‘I was trying to track you down everywhere Potter,’ He said. ‘You weren’t in your dorm. And I got people to check if you’d gone to Gryffindor or the hospital wing. So where’ve you been?’

He really had been keen to apologise. ‘In Snape’s rooms. I wasn’t allowed to go back to my dorm.’

‘Oh really?’ A shadow seemed to pass over Malfoy’s countenance before he exhaled sharply and gave a short laugh. ‘Well, that would make sense. No wonder I couldn’t find you.’

Harry frowned. ‘Why are you in here, Malfoy, instead of playing in the match?’ There’s no way in the world Snape would have banned him from playing.

The Slytherin shrugged reticently, ‘I needed to apologise. And now that I have, I’ll see you later... or not, actually, as the case may be. I’ll try my best to stay out of your way as much as possible, of course. It’ll be the only way.’

‘The only way for what?’

‘For us to get along. You’ll see Potter, it’ll be different from now on.’

He turned to go.

‘Wait.’

He turned back, raising an eyebrow at Harry questioningly.

‘Um well. Uh. I’m sorry about- you know.’ Harry gestured broadly at Malfoy’s battered face. ‘Not that you didn’t deserve it though,’ he added quickly. There’s no way I’m going to pretend what he said didn’t matter. ‘Because you did ... and I don’t even care how much trouble I get into. If you say anything about Sirius again I won’t be able to stand it. Even if you are surrounded by your stupid mates.’

‘Really, Potter.’ Malfoy raised his eyebrows but his tone was light rather than mocking. ‘Is that what you call an apology in Gryffindor? No wonder your house are all so argumentative.’

‘I mean it, Malfoy.’ Harry told him with utter seriousness.

‘Yes, I know you do,’ the Slytherin answered shortly. ‘And I’ve already told you that it won’t be an issue.’

***

After fulfilling his obligation to apologise, Draco headed for his room. He wanted to head over to Madam Pomfrey and get his damn face seen to but knew she would still be outside watching the Quidditch with everyone else.

In Snape’s rooms”, Draco fumed as Harry’s words ran through his head, well if that wasn’t just the icing on the cake.


FLASHBACK

‘Go and wait for me in my study.’ Severus told him, in a voice that would sound cold and unemotional to a stranger’s ears. Draco knew him better than that though and could sense that he was in serious trouble.

I don’t think I’ve seen him this mad at me before...

‘Professor...’ Draco was keen to start making his excuses. Crabbe and Goyle would say whatever he directed them to, although of course Lysander would be another matter.

Now.’ The dark look from his Godfather quickly convinced Draco not to argue. He turned meekly and set off for the study without another word. Letting himself in (one of the many privileges being his head of house’s Godson) he paced the length of the study restlessly before sinking into a dark green armchair.

He’s my Godfather. He has to take my side, particularly against Potter. Try as he might Draco couldn’t banish the small voice that kept reminding him of his conversation with his Godfather the previous day, when Severus had warned him not to plot.

It was some minutes before Severus strode into the room and summoned a chair to rest directly opposite Draco.

‘Severus,’ the boy sprang to his feet acknowledging his Godfather’s entrance respectfully.

Severus impatiently waved his hand, indicating that he should sit down. ‘Speak,’ he instructed his Godson tersely.

‘Well, Potter started it, of course. He attacked me right in the middle of the common room clear as day. I was just trying to defend myself.’ Draco said smoothly trying his best not to sound defensive.

‘By kicking him when he was on the floor?’ Severus asked pointedly.

‘I barely touched him! Look at me!’ Draco gestured to his face.

‘I’m sure you’ll survive.’ His Godfather replied scathingly. ‘So he attacked you with no provocation, I take it?’

‘Pretty much.’ Draco said sulkily. ‘You know what Gryffindors are like; one only needs to look at them before they burst into fits of rage.’

‘Indeed?’

Snape dark eyes began to bore into Draco’s.

‘Don’t.’ The boy muttered, looking swiftly away.

Then tell me the truth.’

Draco swallowed uncomfortably and continued to avoid eye contact with the older wizard.

‘I may have... made some remarks,’ he admitted reluctantly. ‘That’s it honestly. I didn’t touch him until after he’d hit me first.’

‘I presume you spoke of his friends?’

‘Them and Black.’ Draco shrugged.

Severus’ dark eyes glinted. ‘What about Black?’

‘Oh, just some house gossip.’ The boy replied dismissively. ‘The rumour is that the mutt got himself killed.’

‘That rumour is actually a fact.’ Severus told him coldly.

‘Really? Well, I suppose you would know. Well, good. One more of them down, then.’ Draco replied carelessly.

‘You really think that was an acceptable subject to bring up?’ Severus snarled. ‘How would you feel if someone taunted you about your family? About something personal and private, perhaps your mother for example?’

Stung, Draco protested loudly. ‘My mother? Why are you bringing her into this? My mother...’

Did what she had to do, I am aware of that. What I am trying to impress upon you is that everyone has personal information which they prefer to keep private.’

‘Well, there’s still no need to mention her,’ Draco still sounded shaken, ‘she has nothing to do with any of this.’

‘Whereas I’m sure there was a clear rationale for broadcasting about Black’s demise across the common room like an ill-bred lout?’

‘Come on,’ Draco looked at his Godfather uncertainly. ‘I never figured you for a Hufflepuff, Severus. Potter was the only one who cared about Black. So what does it matter?’

‘What does it matter?’ Severus said darkly. ‘What does it matter that you bring up an inflammatory topic – clearly angling for a confrontation- against my express orders?’

‘Ok, Ok. I’ll try not to do it again.’ Draco was quick to sound appeasing. ‘It’s just difficult to remember when it comes to him.’

‘Forgive me if I am not overwhelmed with confidence in your efforts to try not to do it again,’ Severus said icily. ‘I appreciate the difficulty you evidently have in remembering that Potter is to be treated as a fellow Slytherin. Let’s see if I can’t make it more memorable for you: defy me again and you will forfeit your right to a place in Slytherin.’

‘Excuse me?’ Draco was incredulous.

‘If you can’t adhere to house rules, you had better leave. I believe you have the intellect to fit into Ravenclaw tolerably well.’ Severus added as an afterthought.

‘The day you chuck me out of Slytherin will be the day I leave Hogwarts,’ Draco threatened furiously.

Severus’ expression was unrelenting. ‘So be it.’

Draco felt a lump in his throat. ‘You’d really do that? Over Potter?’

‘I will not tolerate your disobedience, Draco.’

There was a long silence while Draco’s mind raced. He knew that part of being a successful Slytherin was knowing which battles to pick. And he was losing this one. Thoroughly.

‘Fine,’ he said shakily, the hurt apparent in his voice. ‘I’ll change. I’ll be nice to him. I won’t insult him or anyone he knows. I’ll treat him as a Slytherin. I’ll be his bloody best friend if that’s what you want, Severus.’

His Godfather was willing to kick him out of the only place he could ever feel at home at Hogwarts? To practically disown him, all over a stupid fight with Potter? It didn’t make any sense.

‘I think staying out of his way would be more successful actually.’ Severus observed calmly.

‘Fine –I will. But can you at least tell me what I’ve done to upset you, besides this business with Potter, I mean.’

‘What do you mean?’ Severus replied blankly.

‘You never want to talk to me anymore.’

‘Can you blame me when all you seem to do recently is moan?’ Severus’ tone was sharp.

‘How would you know what I want to say when you don’t spend any time with me anymore? You’re too busy spending every bloody minute with him.’

‘I do believe you’re actually jealous.' Severus remarked. 'And we’ve already been over this, numerous times.’

A flush spread across the boys pale complexion but he didn’t try to deny it.

‘It’s just that I barely saw you this summer.’

‘I spoke to you every single day, Draco.’

‘Yes, you floo-called.’ Draco spat out bitterly. ‘You promised that you would be back to visit, but you never came.’

‘You know how busy I am with my brewing at the end of the summer.’

Draco gave a short laugh as he rose to his feet. ‘Oh, don’t hold back Severus. You’ve already said I bore you. Now you’re too busy with Potter or brewing to spend time with me.’

‘Draco, you know you can always speak to me, whenever you need to.’ Severus said sternly.

‘Whatever.’

Severus gave him a stony glare.

‘Ok, Ok. I do know that...but all of this is getting to me. And now you’re saying you’re going to get rid of me.’

Draco’s voice sounded choked and his Godfather watched as he fought back tears.

‘Well, there’s a sure fire method of avoiding that. Simply do as I ask.’ He replied more lightly. Approaching his Godson he gave a small encouraging gesture and the boy sank against him burying his head in his shoulder.

Briefly Severus allowed the boy to cling to him before pushing him away slightly while using a long finger under the boy’s chin to tilt his face towards him. ‘Enough, Draco. You are to apologise to Potter before you even think about going anywhere else in the castle tonight so that we are able to put all of this behind you. Of course I will also expect you to complete a fortnight’s detentions with those insipid sidekicks of yours.’

Draco nodded and headed for the door before hesitating. His face was still ached fiercely and he’d expected Severus to heal him, either by spell or potion, as he had always done before over the years.

Noticing Draco hovering by the door Severus raised one eyebrow at him questioningly. His Godson hesitated.

There’s no way that he forgot to offer to heal me. Not Severus- everything he does or doesn’t do has a motive behind it. He’s trying to make a point, perhaps for me to hurry up and apologise before going to see Pomfrey.

Biting his lip Draco looked towards the older wizard before finally reaching a decision. Sod it, I’m not going to bloody beg.

Squaring his thin shoulders the teenager turned and left the room without a sound.

***

Back at his dorm, Draco stomped about, angrily berating Crabbe and Goyle for being worse that useless during the fight. Eventually he felt as though he had calmed down enough to go and face Potter and get the apology over with.

Donovan had opened answered his knock on the door to Harry’s dorm.

‘He’s not here,’ he’d told him, his eyes sparkling. ‘That’s a right shiner, you’ve got there, Malfoy,’ he added cheerfully.

***

Unwilling to risk angering Severus further, Draco dispatched Patsy to head over to see if Harry was in Gryffindor or with Pomfrey. When she’d returned without managing to track him down Draco decided the Gryffindors must have lied to her. He must be there. Or I suppose that bastard Donovan could be lying. Either way I can hardly apologise if I can’t find the little shit. I'd better go and tell Severus.

When Draco reached Severus’ rooms the first thing he noticed was that the wards had been changed. Whereas in the past he’d simply laid his hand along upon a stone to the right of the door before it swung open the entrance now remained stubbornly shut. Of course, Severus usually expected him to knock out of manners, particularly if other people were around, but he’d always been able to get in if he’d really wanted to.

Feeling increasingly het up, Draco knocked emphatically. A moment or so later Severus had appeared in the doorway looking distinctly unpleased to see him.

‘You’ve changed the wards!’

‘What do you want, Draco?’ Severus didn’t shift from his position blocking the entrance.

‘I’ve been looking for Potter to apologise but I can’t find him.’

‘In which case I can only suggest you keep looking.’ Severus replied unsympathetically.

‘But he’s holed up in Gryffindor and refusing to come out!’

‘If that’s the case you’ll just have to wait until he comes back to Slytherin won’t you?’

‘Well, what if he’s not back in time for the match tomorrow? Are you still going to restrict me to Slytherin then?’

‘Yes. I’ve already said you will stay here until you’ve apologised.’ Severus confirmed impatiently.

‘But...’

‘Enough! You know what you need to do and I have matters to attend to.’ his Godfather had snapped, drawing the door closed behind him.

In a stinking mood, Draco headed back to his dorm. Making an apology was bad enough, although for a Slytherin sprouting a few insincere lines with aplomb wasn’t exactly a hardship when circumstances demanded it, but missing the match was something else. Draco was desperate to see Potter before the match began. He even considered sneaking out to find him, although realistically he knew that he didn't know the Gryffindor password anyway and considering the mood Severus was in there was no way he was going to risk it.

The next morning Draco remained alone in the deserted common room, draped across a sofa in the corner of the room, bitterly resigned to missing the quidditch match.


END OF FLASHBACK

‘I’ve already told you that it won’t be an issue.’

Harry watched Malfoy walk away, feeling completely at a loss to explain the Slytherin’s changed attitude to him.

Well that was totally bizarre.

The whole conversation had made him feel distinctly uneasy. One thing was certain, there was no way he was going to take the Slytherin’s word at face value. If Malfoy said he would leave him alone he was probably just trying to make him let his guard down so that he could catch him unaware.

Heading back to his dorm, Harry laid on his bed and concentrated on his Occlumency to help himself relax. Occluding usually made him feel better for a time, although he was still convinced it was somehow causing the strange nightmares he was having. Like at breakfast time earlier- although they weren’t really nightmares, not when he was seeing them when he was awake as well as when he was asleep.

It’s reaching the point that I’m going to have to tell Snape that I really am cracking up, Harry thought numbly. He already thinks I’m crazy- trying to take on the entire Slytherin common room- Merlin knows what he’ll think when he hears I’m still seeing stuff which isn’t there. Perhaps they’ll pack me off to St Mungo’s to be treated for having an emotional breakdown given that some of it is to do with Sirius. Or perhaps they’ll just decide I’m insane. I’m not sure which is worse.

Opening his eyes Harry felt a familiar wave of dizziness and his stomach churning. He guessed what he would see even before he opened his eyes. This time the crow was perched at the foot of his bed. It was closer, than he’d ever seen it before. It’s feathers were glossy and mostly black, except for those at its neck which were closer to a dark, grey shade. It's eyea were a glistening white and trained upon him as though the creature was studying his every move.

I know it’s not really here, he told himself numbly.

It’s not here.

It’s not here.

Suddeny there was a flurry of flapping wings and Harry could feel the cool breeze as the crow approached him and he gasped as it landed smoothly on his chest. Terrified, Harry felt as though he was frozen. He didn’t dare to move a muscle as his eyes locked onto the bird.

Chapter End Notes:
Hey everyone. I hope you liked this chapter, I wasn't too sure about doing the flashback from Draco's POV but hopefully it filled in a few blanks... There is a back-story to Draco which I will gradually be developing at some point in the fic. Although Draco and Harry are now speaking I'm not planning for them to suddenly (or indeed, ever) become friends in case anyone's wondering.

I know Harry has now apologised (to some extent anyway) which may seem strange considering he is still angry about the things Draco said. However, I could just picture him impulsively saying he was sorry when he was looking at Draco's bruises (despite the fact that he wouldn't even consider apologising to get himself out of trouble).

As always I'm very grateful for comments/reviews.