Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, here we are again. Twelfth chapter in the story, and second chapter on my Grandma's comp. This time I have something to work with. Hope you enjoy. Without further ado, on we go!
The Trial

Last time:

That presented Harry a puzzle, and he was still concentrating on it even after he'd said good-bye to his friends and headed off to the Ministry of Magic for the Trial. Arthur smirked slightly, and thanked Remus mentally for distracting the child so he wouldn't worry. He hoped everything would turn out alright, but Harry didn't need to worry as it would only make him fumble-tongued. It was in silence that they got on the Underground to head to the Ministry that early morning.

Harry was completely bewildered when Mr. Weasley went into a phone booth. A battered one at that. However, he just remained silent, and was stunned when he heard a female's voice in the booth. It asked them what their business was, and Mr. Weasley responded that Harry was to attend a disciplinary hearing. A badge popped out of the coin slot, which Harry was then handed. The phone booth sank into the ground like an elevator, and for a brief time they were in complete darkness.

Maybe half a minute later, light started to show at their feet. Shortly afterwards, Harry was looking about the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic in awe. It was at least as large as the Dining Hall at Hogwarts, and it glittered like it was made of gold. Right in the center was a fountain, with statues he couldn't see at a distance. Not that it mattered, for they were approaching the wizard that would check them into the Ministry. That, apparently, included wand checks. After he had received his wand back, Harry followed Mr. Weasley at a bit of a dog-trot, for his legs just didn't seem to want to go at a walking pace. He pinned his legs unusual acting up as nerves.

Whether it was sheer luck, or someone was watching over them, Harry didn't know. All he knew was that the time and place had been changed. Mr. Weasley had gotten this message just shortly before they entered the elevator. As they headed down to the old court room, Harry wondered why things had changed like that. Was it so he might be late for his trial, or entirely miss it? It took all his control to bite down on the anger that rushed through his system briefly. He would not let his temper get him into trouble.

As they reached the court room door, Mr. Weasley turned to him. "I'm not allowed to go in with you. Good luck, Harry." stated the older man. Harry gulped quietly, and walked into the court room. He walked to the center, where a chained chair waited for him. As he sat down, fully expecting chains that never did wrap around him, a voice spoke. "You were very nearly late, Mr. Potter." As Harry looked up, he saw that it was Fudge who had spoken. Indeed, it appeared to be a full-fledged trial, not just a hearing.

"Sorry, sir. We barely caught the message that the time and place had been changed." answered Harry in a voice just loud enough to be heard. Fudge grunted angrily, and stated "Oh very well. Court is now in session. On this August fifth, one Harry Potter sits accused of performing magic underage and in front of a Muggle. Sitting as judges: Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic." As each person named themselves and their jobs in the Ministry, Harry discreetly rubbed his sweating palms clean on the sides of his trousers. Then a voice sounded that made him look over his shoulder sharply. "Attorney for the Defense, one Albus Brian Wulfric Dumbledore."

Looking up at the judges, he repressed a smirk. Most of them look completely stunned that Dumbledore had made it to the Trial. The ones that didn't seemed very pleased to see him. Only one face was tightening with coming anger, and Harry expected that. The bloody Minister had better keep his bloody mouth shut thought Harry to himself. Dumbledore, meanwhile, didn't seem to care what he was making the others feel. He was a serene as ever, if a bit sterner then normal.

The Trial ran rather smoothly after that. The only hiccup in the proceeding was when Dumbledore suggested that the Dementors had been sent. One toadish woman, who was introduced as the Under-Secretary to the Minister, said "Are you suggesting that the Ministry sent out Dementors to attack this boy?" When he said that it might be another, and tried to plead to Fudge to see reason, the Minister nearly went into a rage. It was with barely controlled fury that Fudge bit out "Those in favor of having Mr. Potter expelled, raise your hands." He and the toadish woman did so, as well as a handful of others. When he asked for those who didn't want him expelled to raise their hands, the majority did. Cleared of all charges, Harry left the court-room last, simply because he couldn't have easily gotten to the head of the flood of people leaving.

Meeting Mr. Weasley outside the court-room, he gave a smile and a thumbs-up. The look of worry that had been on the red-heads face dissolved into relief. He said softly "Come on, Harry. I have just enough time before my shift starts to escort you where you're suppose to be now." They then walked out of the Ministry, heading for Diagon Alley. Now that the Trial was over, Harry wondered just what else was going to happen that day.

***

"Are you sure about this, Mr. Weasley?" Harry asked as they stood in front of the oddest wizarding store he had ever been to. When Mr. Weasley nodded, Harry sighed and opened the door to the shop 'Madame Sel's Collection of Curios'. As the name had suggested, there were many curious knick-knacks around, both muggle and wizarding. They went straight to the desk, behind which a shop assistant sat. When they told their names, she said in a soft voice "Madame Sel has been expecting you. This way, Mr. Potter. Mr. Weasley, you may look around if you wish."

Harry shivered slightly, not liking the fact that he was separated from the red-head. However, he followed the witch without protest to a Room 3 in the back. When he entered, he was not surprised to see Remus and Malfoy there. He was, however, stunned when he realized that the third occupant was none other than Professor Snape. Feeling very self-conscious at being the last one to enter, he took one of the seats that was on the wall. Afterwards, he waited with the others. They didn't have to wait long, as the most impressive female walked in from a curtained off portion of the room in back. Of course, when the curtain was closed, it just looked like a plain white wall.

The woman was tall, with an almost fae like quality to her. Her white hair was long, more than waist-length. And despite looking as old as their Transfiguration Professor, she stepped with the grace of one far younger. Her eyes, however, held centuries long wisdom that was in much contention of her middle-aged appearance. This had to be Madam Sel, the owner of the Curio shop. Her voice was breathy, reminding Harry of wind through the ancient trees in the Forbidden Forest. She said "Welcome, young Animagi. And welcome also to the witnesses, who have agreed to watch over you while you undergo the Trial of Animagus."

Harry blanched slightly, his eyes flickering. There was going to be another Trial, another test? He glared accusingly at Remus for not warning him. When the other caught his look, he simply shrugged quietly. Harry sighed, and got up when instructed. Joining Malfoy in the middle of the room, he sat down cross-legged. Whatever the Trial threw at him, he would handle it. He would not appear weak in front of everyone else. He would soon end up cursing his Gryffindor pride, though he didn't know it before the Trial started. They were first told to meditate, and then let their awareness drift from their bodies. That was fairly easy for Harry, and for Malfoy as well, and they were soon speeding towards the Realm of Half-Realities. Otherwise known to the world, the Realm of Dreams.

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoy. This chapter was the hardest one I've ever had to do. I will be updating MtMtE within the next couple of weeks, and I am looking entirely forward to chapter twelve in that one. Please R&R and tell me what you think of this chapter.