Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 17, and hopefully a long one. Without further ado, on we go.
Feast and First Day of School

Last time:

For just awhile, he had some measured peace. He reveled in it, knowing how precious it was. That tremulous peace could and most likely would be interrupted at any time. Or at least that's how he felt at that time.

Harry grimaced, looking at his reflection in the mirror. He was pretty much dressed in the school uniform, sans tie, robes and hat. And as usual, he was uncomfortable in it. He would rather have put on his casual clothes, as he had for the past four years, but felt that it would reflect bad upon his current status. Also, the school uniform helped conceal the SoNA bracer, which he wasn't quite ready to reveal just yet. Harry looked at the door as Draco entered, dressed similarly to him. Without the robes and badges, it was impossible to tell which House they belonged to. Indeed, the uniforms were similar to many Muggle schools, thus allowing them to be worn outside of the wizarding world without too much suspicion.

"You ready?" Draco asked in a soft voice. Harry nodded jerkily, unconsciously gripping where the bracer was for reassurance. They were both nervous, as it would be their first train ride as friends. Harry had another reason to be nervous, as he had an appointment with his 'employer' on the train. He was tired of Running, and he wanted out of it. But to ask would be a very dangerous business, could even cost him his life. He didn't really mind dying, however, so long as he knew he was free. Draco said he was crazy for feeling this way, and would much prefer him to make it out of the meeting alive.

Harry's musings were cut short by Snape appearing in the doorway, saying that it was time to go. He trooped after Draco, glad that he had told Hedwig to go to Hogwarts instead of coming back here after delivering the message to his 'employer'. For once he was sure she was safe, and wouldn't have to worry about something happening similar to what had happened the summer before second year. That had been humiliating, and nerve-wracking, to say the least. And Hedwig had taken some time to forgive him for that and being tossed out of the car afterwards. Thankfully she had forgiven him, otherwise his summers would have been unbearable.

They Flooed to Grimmauld Place, and from there walked to the Underground. They made it to King's Cross with a half-hour to spare, and onto Platform 9 and 3/4 before the clock turned quarter to. What was eerie about this trip was that Snape had been with them, in disguise, the whole journey. While one might think it was just because of duty that he was concerned for their safety, Harry suspected it was a bit more then that. Especially as he bid them farewell in his own way, though he didn't make much of a to-do about it. For which Harry was grateful, as he was too old to be fussed over. ~Says you~ sent Draco, when he received that thought from him.

Glaring at Draco briefly, Harry boarded the train when the whistle sounded. He had said his good-byes to the adults he knew (including Snape in disguise), and he was getting uncomfortable with the idea of more. He searched for an empty compartment, but not finding any. He did find one that was only occupied by one person. He asked her if anyone was sitting there, and she gave him a faint 'no', without looking up from the magazine she was reading. Harry shivered slightly, for the voice had been quite beautiful. Or at least what he had heard of it. Draco snickered mentally, saying ~Getting a romantic interest in a fourth year, Harry?~ When asked how he knew the blond was a fourth year, Draco simply replied that most people knew of Luna Lovegood.

Harry shrugged, promptly telling his Bond-Mate to either join him or shove off. Draco chuckled mentally again, and soon after joined him in the compartment. That was where Ginny and Neville found and joined them. Neville was holding a strange plant that spewed pus when prodded. Of course, Neville demonstrated this, and only quick action by all in the compartment saved them from a liberal bath in stinky pus. When that episode was over, Harry asked where Ron and Hermione were. Ginny replied "Didn't you hear? They're the new Gryffindor prefects. They're off doing rounds along with the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff prefects as well as the Head girl and boy." Harry was surprised, but realized it made sense. He should have expected it from one of the fifth years. Hermione especially, as she was a model student.

By the time Hermione and Ron had joined them, the food cart had come and gone. Harry, as per usual, had gotten them all enough sweets and foods to last until the end of the train ride. Harry was constantly checking his watch (a new one he had bought recently from a wizarding catalog), and excused himself at three thirty. Draco watched him sadly, telling him to be safe mentally. The others just thought that he was going to the bathroom, except for Luna, who was gazing at him with turbulent eyes. She has beautiful eyes Harry thought to himself while walking to his 'employer's' compartment. He was expected, and the burly seventh year that was guarding the door let him in. His employer was a sixth year of average height, with the coldest eyes. Even Snape didn't have this measure of calm (especially when dealing with Harry). It was unnerving to say the least. He greeted the boy respectfully with his code name: Scare.

"Ah, Shade. What a pleasure it is to see you today. Now I believe you requested a meeting with me. Will you tell me why?" Scare said in a very cold voice. The supposed request was more of an order said in that tone of voice. Harry told Scare the reason he wished to leave. He then watched the boy's face, feeling his hackles rise as the seventh year got just a bit to close behind him. Scare seemed to frown a bit, before saying in his ice voice "That is a problem, Shade. You see, you are one of my best Runners. I am reluctant to give up any member of my staff, but you are quite unique in your mastery of this business. However, there is a way to get out of it, if that is truly what you want." Harry let it be known that was what he wanted. Scare continued talking "Very well then. The way to leave my employ is to do a Collection Run."

Harry gritted his teeth, before nodding sharply. He was dismissed, being told that his assignment would be given during the school year. Leaving, Harry slowly walked back to his compartment, cursing roundly in his head. Draco asked ~What's up?~ Harry responded by telling Draco that he had to do a Collection Run. That sent Draco into cursing mentally. Having shared all of Harry's memories, he knew what a Collection Run meant. Harry had managed to escape being a Collector by being the best Runner. He had never wanted to taint his hands with the dirty business of collecting money or disposing of people who refused to pay. His hands were clean of blood, but with his luck they would be stained before the year was out.

He had no time to contemplate anymore, however, as they were nearing Hogwarts. Finally making it to the compartment, he got his robe and hat on, making sure that his wand was within reach. Once everything was ready, they left the train when it reached the station. They then boarded the horseless carriages. Except for Harry, they weren't horseless. Bony, winged horses were pulling all the carriages. When he mentioned this to the others, they all looked at him strangely, besides Luna and surprisingly Neville. Instead of asking what they were however, he let the matter drop for the moment.

The trip wasn't too long, and they finally reached Hogwarts. Harry breathed a silent sigh of relief, glad to be back where he had thought he wouldn't set foot in again earlier that summer. Their group separated at the Great Hall, Draco going to the Slytherin table, Luna to the Ravenclaw table, the Weasleys, Harry, Neville and Hermione to the Gryffindor table. They then had to wait through the Sorting, though they were surprised at the new song of the Sorting Hat. They then enjoyed the feast, and were just about ready to leave when Dumbledore stood up. They waited patiently while he introduced the new teacher: Dolores Umbridge. Harry's hackles immediately rose, and he hissed to his friends "She's from the Ministry, she works for Fudge!" This, of course, got Hermione interested.

When Dumbledore would have let them go for the night, Umbridge stood up to address them. Her speech was long and boring, but for the few who were paying attention (Harry, Hermione, Draco and the teachers) the meaning was quite clear. The Ministry was interfering at Hogwarts. Once the speech was finished they were dismissed, and they gratefully went up to their dorm rooms. Hermione and Ron had to escort the First Years, but they were all soon back in Gryffindor Tower. Harry went to bed immediately after his nightly ablutions, to tired to stay up much longer. He sent to Draco ~Good Night, my friend~ and received similar in reply. He also said good night to Ron, and was soon asleep.

He was up again a few hours later, choking on the sheet he had jammed in his mouth to prevent himself from screaming. Panting to slow his heart rate, he also shielded his mind from Draco so as not to wake the other boy. He was soon calm enough to return to sleep, with much more peaceful dreams. He did wonder, however, what the dream about the corridor was all about. He knew, though, that he likely would never find out. His dreams, of course, were difficult to keep from Draco. The other boy, however, didn't press when Harry said he didn't want to discuss it. Draco could understand that well enough, having enough dreams that he didn't wish to discuss.

Breakfast was the same old, with the exception of a new schedule. Harry groaned as he saw what the schedule was. Double Defense, Potions, History of Magic, and Divination blocked out the entire day. And all with the exception of Divination were with the Slytherins. Harry sighed, and made his way to Defense after finishing his porridge. He thought sarcastically ~I'm just going to love today.~ Draco snickered mentally, but agreed with his thought. That day wasn't going to be pleasant.

They were quite right of course, as Defense started out very boring. About half-way through the class, however, Hermione raised her hand. She made it clear that she didn't agree with the author of the book, and when the class was told that theory would be enough, Harry got furious. He posed many uncomfortable questions to Umbridge, finally riling the woman enough that she sent him to McGonagall. He found out that he would serve a week's detention with Umbridge, and that he should keep his head low from that point on. Harry grimaced when he left McGonagall's office, and thought to himself Forget the day, this week is going to be hell. How very little he knew, at that time, just how bad detention would be that night. Had he known, he might not have made such an accurate statement about the week being hell.

Chapter End Notes:
Phew, that's finished. Note that I have to stick a bit to canon for the first few days for Harry's hatred of the Toad to grow. I hope I've done okay with this chapter. Please R&R and tell me what you think. MtMtE updates next. Also, I haven't forgotten about my side story. It will show up in later chapters.