Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! Last chapter reached a staggering 2,049 words including both Author's notes. That is a record for Runner, and I hope to beat it this chapter. We'll see wont we? I have yet another mate request, bringing the score up to 2/4/6-7 on friend/mate/brother respectivly. Also, for those using ff.net, don't be overly offended if I don't answer your reviews. I most often check my mail at the library, and they don't allow ff.net on thier comps. But I hope you keep reading anyway. So without further ado.
Information and a Promise

Last time:

He wandered down the hallway towards the stairs. One of the doors was open to the side, and Harry looked in. Inside was a library that far outclassed the Hogwart's library. There was barely room to move between the shelves and shelves of books. Quietly tiptoeing in on bare feet, he looked behind him at the hallway. He didn't hear Snape coming up the stairs. Shrugging with relief at that little bit of fortune, Harry let himself explore.

A half-hour later found him in a chair by the far wall, holding an open book in his lap. If one could get close enough to the title they would read: Sudden Birthmarks and Their Meanings. He was flipping slowly from page to page, obviously trying to find something. He stopped on one page, and brought the book closer to his face. After a minute like that, dawning awe spread across his face. In a voice that was soft with amazement, Harry said "No way..."

Severus sighed, putting down his empty coffee cup. The boy had been far to quiet for the past half hour. He had expected Potter's explorations would at least take him down the stairs, but he hadn't heard the familiar creak at all. Getting up, he went off in search of the Boy Who Lived to Drive Him Insane. He hoped that the child wasn't into any mischief, as he didn't wish to punish him just at the moment. He mentally back-peddled at that thought, and wondered if he was truly going crazy if the thought of punishing Potter wasn't appealing at all. Maybe he was just losing his touch. Sev decided that going mental was preferable to the latter choice.

The Potions Master walked up the steps silently, black eyes scanning the hall as he reached the top. His sharp eyes quickly spot the open library door, and the flickering light from within. He was surprised, as he wouldn't have pegged Potter for a bookworm. Then again, he wouldn't have pegged the boy for an alcoholic either. Speaking of which, Sev better keep an eye out for the signs of withdrawal. Being unconscious most of the time being here had spared the child that torture for a little while. But it was sure to catch up to him eventually.

Shrugging off that train of thought, Sev entered his personal library. Well technically it was the house's library, but since he owned the house the library was his. Walking down the aisles between the many shelves of books, the Potions Master spotted Potter. Sitting in a relatively comfortable armchair with his legs curled up under him, the child had his nose in a large tome. Severus couldn't see the title, but decided it didn't matter. So long as the boy didn't get into any trouble, he was content to leave Harry alone for another hour. Walking as stealthy out as he did in, Sev returned to his study to read one of his own books.

***

Harry blinked, scrubbed at his eyes, and looked again. The words stayed the same on the page he had stopped on. Next to the words were three pictures of birthmarks like his: One obviously bird, another mammal, the last reptile. The words read and I quote: "So you have a sudden birth mark that resembles the print of some animal? You are one of the lucky few chosen to be a Natural Animagus. While it is inherent in a Natural's genes, the ability can only be triggered by a serious and traumatic event. After the print shows up, the one bearing the mark must undergo a test to find his or her Animagus form. If the test is failed, the child can try again the next year. But if a child reaches their seventeenth birthday without finding their animal form, the ability will be lost to them forever and the mark will vanish. Often the test is shared between two or more people. If this happens and they all find their animal forms, the members of the party who underwent the test will share a mental bond that last for eternity."

Harry pressed his jaw firmly in place after it had fallen. He was one of these special people? Though the idea was enticing, he also knew that it meant more attention for him. He was tired of being in the public's eye. Even when he wasn't believed, they still talked about him he was sure. Shaking his head, he shrugged. There was nothing he could do about his fame. And he was determined to become an Animagus. He wondered where the tests were to be held, for he seriously doubted if the test was undertaken without an adult present. That just wasn't the way things were done.

Sighing, he stood up and stretched his stiff muscles. Checking the time, he was shocked to realize that it was quite late. Deciding to head for bed, he put away the book and blew out the candle. Walking on soft feet back to the guest room, he closed the door behind him. After preparing for bed, he slipped under the covers. Laying his head down on the comfortable pillow, Harry was soon fast asleep.

***

Shortly after Severus had returned to his study, the Floo roared to life. Lupin's head appeared in the fireplace. "May I come through Severus?" asked the werewolf. Sev nodded, and removed the wards that prevented entry. After Lupin stepped through, he replaced them and turned to face his new guest. He breathed irritably "What do you want Lupin?"

Remus smirked softly and stated "You haven't changed a bit, have you Sev?" When the Potions Master nodded in agreement, he continued "You do realize that your little act does not work on me, yes? That's besides the point though. I heard from Albus what happened, is it true?" When Severus nodded, the werewolf blanched and sat down in one of the numerous hard-backed chairs that were always around the house. He breathed softly "Oh Merlin no...."

Severus also sat down, his eyes watching Moony quietly. He murmured "I got him out of there as soon as I could, old friend. No one suspected the Muggle capable of that!" When Remus asked how Harry was doing, he simply replied "As well as could be expected, I suppose. The boy isn't dealing with it. I think he's pushing it away, and that is not going to end well." The werewolf nodded quietly, sighing almost dejectedly. Sev murmured "You didn't answer my first question though. What do you want?"

Moony looked up and spoke softly "A promise, Sev. A promise that you won't intentionally hurt Harry. I don't care about a front you must maintain. If it's so important, tell the child that anything you say to him in public is just that! Given that chance, you two could get over your hatred of each other. After all you don't know the entire truth about the matter anyway."

Severus quickly covered his shock by saying "And you do?" Remus simply said "I can't tell you. You will have to find out on your own. But promise me Sev. You know now that Harry never deserved your hatred or contempt." Sev grumped agreement, then said softly "I swear, Remus, that I shall not hurt Harry Potter knowingly." With that promise made, Remus left Severus to his confusion. The Potions Master poured himself a cup of coffee, warmed it with a spell, and drank. He thought to himself I must be going mad.

Chapter End Notes:
Eeek! So I didn't break my last record...I'm sorry, but I really thought that's how it should have ended. And I did get it done before a week went past. So don't complain please.