Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Egypt

Harry watched happily while the seventh years received their diplomas. He glanced at Marcus Flint a bit curiously. He'd been about to commiserate with the Slytherin since he was going to have to repeat his last year, but Draco had stopped him, whispering that Marcus had done it on purpose, so he could captain the team one more year.

Harry totally didn't understand why he would do that, although Harry didn't intend to make Quidditch his career, so maybe the sense of that eluded him.

Harry looked over at the smug-looking Headmaster. Albus thought Professor McGonagall had talked his dad and Mr Malfoy into giving up a lot of the basilisk money for the school. He grinned. His dad had shown him how he intended to broker deals with the whole basilisk issue.

The negotiations with the Goblins had been interesting. Lucius and Severus had been teaching all three boys how to interact with the Goblins to achieve the best deals, of course. Showing them how to apply the money to achieve the best results was new.

First, of course they had used part of the gold to send for mandrake root so they wouldn't have to wait to unpetrify the students. Ron had been displeased to have Mrs. Norris back sooner than absolutely necessary. They'd then decided that there were those that should have a part of the proceeds as compensation. Hermione, Colin Creevy, Justin, Ginny and even Mrs. Norris received the equivilent of double the amount of all seven years tuition for Hogwarts.

It had seemed a lot, though it didn't make a dent in what the were receiving for the basilisk. All the students needed the galleons, Severus had thought, and this was a way to get it to them and save their pride at the same time. Even Justin, though he came from a rich family, was a fourth son – so having a Gringotts acount with a nice pile of gold was a relief for him.

Mrs. Norris was now 'the richest cat in wizarding Britain', although the gold went to Filch, of course. Severus felt he deserved something for having been so handicapped in his job – without his magical cat's assistance, finding miscreants had been difficult. Severus hoped Filch would take a lengthy vacation for once and come back in a better mood.

Hermione's family had no difficultly financing her education, but Hermione now could buy all the books her new 'library in a trunk' could hold. She was blissful.

Colin and the brother who was attending the coming year were scholarship students, but the gold would get them both apprenticeships after they graduated if they were careful.

Molly had locked up Ginny's new Gringott's key and told her to stop making plans to spend it all. Ginny had sulked, and then had managed to wrangle a pair of new, very nice robes anyway, as well as a kneazle kitten. Peter was horrified, he would have to rethink hiding with the Weasleys – though it was still his best chance of meeting up with his master, he felt.

The basilisk skins had brought Hogwarts a windfall, and the Governors had authorized an unprecedented amount of repairs to the castle and the 'upkeep account' for the school was now much larger - at least for this year. The grounds had never looked so good. Statues that had been broken for centuries were now whole. Albus had been able to contract a top wardsmith to help sort out and strengthen a few of the wards on the school – after Albus had cornered Lucius long enough to get all of them back.

Lucius had sheepishly admitted that the feeling of such connection to the school had been a bit 'intoxicating' and he'd been reluctant to give it up. Albus, of course, totally understood.

Severus and Lucius had argued and whined a bit, and then had let McGonagall tell them what she percieved the biggest needs for the school were. There were now new school brooms and the funding for Quidditch uniforms was given a boost.

Although Tom had funded several new scholarships from 'the Voldemort vault', they agreed to fund four new ones as well. Money for apprenticeships was also put into an account, so students without the means could continue for their mastery. Severus well remembered his own struggle to figure out how to get his own mastery.

The biggest chunk Minerva had argued for was for the upcoming Triwizard Tournament, though it wouldn't be until the next year. They occurred once every ten years and the next one was being planned by the International Federation of Wizards even now. Schools who wished to host or compete in it needed to show they could afford the expense. Lucius was determined that it be held at Hogwarts while Draco was in attendance there. The Headmaster was also keen to host it, as Hogwarts had not done so in over fifty years, and so they dumped a large chunk into the Triwizard fund. Minerva came away from the meeting feeling she had scored a victory.

All of this did chop the basilisk money in half, but that still left them plenty to stock the safehouses properly and to open some Gringotts accounts. They didn't put huge amounts in them, but enough that if they needed to fund someone's escape or hide them out, the person could draw on the anonymous accounts without worry.

Most of all, though, they planned to ensure that the three boys had an excellent summer vacation while Lucius and Severus had worry-free honeymoons. Lucius already had a plan, and now they had 'extra' money to fund it. Plus, they would be throwing commisions towards Andromeda Tonk's husband Ted, who worked at a wizarding travel agency.

Lucius had blithely suggested to the Ministry that, to ensure that spirits remained high in the face of the news of the Dark Lord's attempts at return, that they hold some prize drawings for 'the many hard-working wizards and witches at the ministry'. The ministry could throw in some extra paid vacations as prizes. Lucius had strong armed numerous rich friends he had some leverage on into donating gift cards good anywhere in Diagon Alley. Lucius had promised he and 'some friends' would put up some 'all-expenses paid vacations'.

The Minister had been delighted. Some ministry people (Rufus and Amelia) had been suspicious, but could find no downside to this, unless Lucius managed to make all the Aurors go on vacation in Siberia at once, and took over the ministry in their absence. Everyone at the ministry had their names in 'the pot'. To throw off any suspicion, Lucius had them start pulling names in April, and made sure there were so many prizes that over half the ministry would win something.

Lucius' henchman were running the show, so Lucius hadn't had to do much engineering to ensure that in the middle of May Arthur Weasley's name was drawn as the winner of an all-expenses paid vacation for he and his family to Egypt. Since it was one of a dozen major vacations being awarded there were no eyebrows raised. Even Arthur wasn't sure if this was the threatened 'favor' that Lucius had meant – at least until Lucius showed up to congratulate him and mention that "Draco, Dudley and Harry would love to come along, since it would be the same time as certain honeymoons."

Arthur had laughed and nodded. At least this favor to a Malfoy would be enjoyable, as Bill was now posted in Egypt. He hoped he could get Charlie out of Romania for the trip.

Molly and the boys had been ecstatic, and he waited a week or two before mentioning the addition of the other three boys, or Molly would have known there was no coincidence. Naturally she was delighted to include them.

Severus had told Harry about the mechinations, as an example of plots within plots and how planning far ahead of time made things easier.

"Lucius has had this in the works for almost a year, now." Severus had said. "Always look ahead to what you might be needing."

Hugo Savage also found himself the recipient of an Egyptian vacation and was visited by a smirking Malfoy.

"I'm giving the boys portkeys that will take them straight to you, in case of emergency. I don't expect you to vacation directly with them – it might be better if you were simply in the vicinity to go to for help." Hugo acquiesed with good humor – he'd have the opportunity to lure a bunch of kids, grandkids and even great-grandkids to Egypt with him. He hadn't seen some of them in quite some time.

The prizes given by the ministry were splashed across the Daily Prophet, including the Weasley's vacation. They were careful not to mention the 'extra 3 boys', intending to slip them past the reporters and hopefully no one would know where they were until after they had returned.

Harry smiled all the way through the leaving feast. Lockhart was on the way to the werewolf refuge, after sending several letters to the Daily Prophet making sure the wizarding world knew how brave he was. Harry and his frinds had done another letter campaign supporting Lockhart. Severus had had mixed emotions about that, but decided it was worth the vexation of having Harry pretend to admire Lockhart.

Harry was simply happy to have spent the remainder of the school year with no life-threatening mishaps. Ravenclaw had won the house cup, and Slytherin the Quidditch cup, and he decided that was good enough.

Draco however had smouldered with resentment that Granger had been top in the second years. He suspected that the whole Ravenclaw diadem incident had been responsible for that. Only the fact that Mafalda would have been top and not him if Hermione's grade had been changed kept him from openly protesting.

As it was Draco struggled the last few days of school with old prejudices flaring up. His initial reaction to seeing Grangers name at the top of the class roster was to yell that no mudblood was going to beat a Malfoy – especially since he knew she'd had some sort of help.

He bit back the words, knowing he would alienate both Dudley and Harry. The words he'd almost said were what he'd heard his mother say at least three times a day for the first decade of his life. He'd thought he'd put that all of that behind him in first year of school and it was disconcerting to find that it wasn't as gone as he'd thought.

Once they were safely on the train, heading for King's Cross, Harry pressed him to tell him what was wrong. Draco was glad they were presently alone – as Dudley was stalking Padma, trying to get permission to owl her during the summer.

"It's that Granger girl – she took top spot – but we both know that Ravenclaw diadem must have pushed her over the top." Draco explained hesitantly. "I keep hearing my mum's voice yelling about … well getting beat by a … a ... mud... well you know what I'm saying. I don't really feel that way anymore, not since dad talked to me about bloodlines and stuff, but when I'm angry ..."

"I felt like calling her names, too, when I saw she'd ousted Mafalda from the top spot this year. You still got third – I had to tie with three others for fourth." Harry smiled. "I know it's hard to break old habits. I still automatically want to apologize when I think I'm being a bother to dad – even when its something I know he wants to do. When Dudley and I first became friends he still would sometimes accidently call me freak – and then have to apologise for it. As long as you know you might fall into that trap of coming out with … well, that other name … you can avoid it."

"Yeah – its just that when I'm angry – well it isn't about bloodline - it's knowing that someone who has never heard of magic two years ago is beating me … not to mention she's a girl." Draco grimaced at Harry's snicker.

The mood lightened and they soon had others coming by to talk. Ginny especially seemed determined to thank Harry for saving her life and making oblique references to the upcoming trip to Egypt. She at least split her attention between the two of them, so they could be equally uncomfortable.

Dudley and Ron arrived, obliviously interupting Ginny's monologue about Egyptian robes that was making the boys go glassy-eyed. Ron brought out a pack of cards for exploding snap, cutting her off mid-sentance, and she stormed out.

"What's wrong with her, I wonder?" Ron said absently, looking at the cards he'd been dealt.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Lucius and Severus attended the end of year teacher's meeting eagerly. Lucius had poured enough galleons over Professor Babbling to induce her to take him as 'an apprentice'. Lucius winced a bit at the designation, but if he wanted his mastery … well he'd get used to it.

The usual arguments over funding and equipment were much easier to deal with, considering the extra funding for the year, and most left after they finished with the budget.

Percy was confirmed as Head Boy and Penelope Clearwater as Head Girl. Severus and Lucius were pleased – they could count on Percy.

Filius had then broached the subject of a time-turner for Miss Granger so she could take every single course offered. Lucius and Severus – as well as the other teachers had been aghast. Horrible scenarios that could occur were discussed. Minerva had been ambivilant and said that Granger was a very responsible young witch.

"This is a school – packed full of people. The odds of her doing this and no one seeing her and having no instances of backtracking across herself are astonomical." Professor Vector said. "I realize she would not play with it for her own amusement, but the other students will notice she's taking too many courses and can't possibly be at all of them at once without help – they'll realize a time-turner is involved and there will be loud objections."

Filius nodded, "Yes – likely not a good idea. I'll tell her she needs to prioritize and go with what she really wants to study."

Severus distracted them from the disturbing thoughts of thirteen year olds with time-turners by reminding them that Sinistra would be taking over Slytherin house with Severus just overseeing her.

"I intend to have it totally turned over to her the following year." Severus said with satisfaction. He fully intended to be more available to Harry and it would be easier to leave Hogwarts when Harry graduated – he would no longer be needed at the school once that occurred. If the war was still on – Harry would need him elsewhere and if it was over – he could finally retire anyway.

Lucius would still be overseeing the History of Magic for one more year, at the governors request. The apprenticeship wouldn't take up all of his time, and Pucey would not need much overseeing. The governors were simply nervous about having such a young professor – after having one that was centuries old for so long.

There was a brief round of sneering from Lucius and Severus when Professor Kettleburn announced that Hagrid would be taking over part of the classes – the classes involving the more dangerous creatures. Hagrid obliviously announced he'd aquired a Hippogriff, making the other Professors pale a bit and hope for the best and made the Slytherins feel justified in their sneering.

This brought up the need for more assitants to take some of the lower classes or at least assist with grading and helping oversee the students during class. Severus especially wanted a permant one – having Tom around during Harry's first year had been wonderful, and he certainly could not get along without his unofficial student helpers.

Everyone but the Heads of House and Lucius were gone after the issue of assistants was settled.

"And for the DADA position ..." Albus cleared his throat nervously. Severus leaned forward, anxious to hear what moron they would have for the DADA position.

Both he and Lucius were dumbstruck to hear it would be Remus Lupin.

"But … I don't think werewolves holding jobs at a school has been cleared by the ministry, has it?" Lucius asked in shock.

Severus simply glared in fury. He knew the Headmaster was determined and that the other heads of house would go along with him as they always did. "Are you so anxious to advance the cause of werewolves that you are willing to risk it all? If there is an incident here, it will undo everything." Severus growled, knowing it was wasted effort, but determined to be heard, anyway.

"If the students are writing home about their exemplary DADA instructor, it will go a long way in swaying the parent's minds when they find out." Albus insisted.

The other teachers nervously excused themselves, fearing a Snape tantrum – with Lucius there to make it even more spectacular. When they had gone Severus hissed. "The parents could also feel betrayed – even if nothing happens, and with the curse on the position – you know something will."

Albus hesitated, Severus had a point. However the students needed a competant teacher and it was becoming impossible to find one willing to chance the obviously cursed position.

"We need a good teacher – all the students are needing to play catch up and Remus can do it – especially with the dueling club to help things along." Albus insisted. "We will just have to be doubly sure that there are no 'incidents' and as you already supply his Wolfsbane, you can ensure he drinks it."

Severus grimaced and Lucius growled. Helping out the werewolves was one thing. Living with one was another. They both sighed and looked at each other. Lupin had possibly saved the boys from unpleasantness when they had resorted to the Knight Bus during their 'Dudley rescue'. It was possible he would be an asset during the coming year.

Albus relaxed at their nods of reluctant acceptance – he'd known he would never get smiles of happiness at the news.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

The double wedding went off without a hitch. Albus was pleased as punch to officiate, even with Lucius and Severus staring in horror at his bright daffodil yellow robes with baby blue trim. Dudley proudly lead his mother up the aisle to Lucius and Hugo had cheerfully strutted at Rosmerta's side to hand her off to Severus. Draco and Harry were the best men and sweated horrifically over the posibility of losing the rings.

None the less, the newlyweds were sent off on the Jamaican honeymoon and the three boys were taken to meet the Weasleys by Hugo to start the Egyptian vacation. The reporters had already taken a picture of the entire Weasley family, complete with Scabbers and the new kneazle kitten, who was hissing at the rat.

They started in Alexandria, and Harry and Draco went straight to the Ancient wizarding library with Percy right behind them. Much of it had been destroyed along with the non-magical section – back then they were housed together, though the magical texts had been in different rooms and usually only available to those 'with the gift'. The wizards of the time had been able to salvage many of the scrolls – even then a reparo – or the Egyptian equivelent had been popular charm.

Harry found a book of translated scrolls to do with potions. Even if it was all outdated rubbish he was sure Severus would find it interesting. The next couple days were spent seeing the sights – the Royal gardens and citadel. Harry found the marketplaces fascinating to wander through – even without buying anything.

Draco hovered beside him muttering about the noise, the smell of too many spices and the sand. Harry laughed and reminded him they were in the Sahara, what did he expect? Draco sniffed and said he understood why Cleopatra and gone to Rome and didn't know why she'd bothered to return – even for Anthony.

Cairo was next and Harry had wandered the markets there as well, just to listen to Draco's horror. Percy went with them, as a precaution, since the others wanted to see the museums instead. Draco was thrilled when Harry found a flying carpet shop.

"These are so totally banned in Europe." Draco hissed in a delighted whisper. "We have to try one out – we'll never have the chance, again."

Harry had nodded in gleeful agreement, with Percy uncertainly following them out the back door to a presumably disillusioned area for test-driving a carpet. They had dragged out a beautiful carpet of many shades of green with a gold design in it that Draco and Harry were sure was intricately interwoven runes.

The beaming salesman handed Harry a parchment with commands on it. Harry sat in front with Draco between Percy and him. Harry engaged the sticking charm to prevent them falling off and set the carpet flying up into the clear blue sky and out west of the city toward the far distant pyramids of Giza. Draco whooped and yelled for more speed, they were soon trying sharply banked turns and Draco dared Harry to try the loop-de-loop on the parchment. Percy yelled "no", Draco yelled "faster" and Harry shouted "Loop".

The overtaxed carpet tried to do all three and collapsed while they were still upside – down. Harry screamed "portkey" and they scrambled for them even as they plummeted toward the desert.

Hugo was enjoying some quiet leisure time in the private pool at his hotel, leaning back on the float that looked like a large yellow duck and sipping at a fruity drink. He was somehow not surprised to have three young wizards and a beautiful carpet crash into the water in front of him.

Harry, Draco and Percy spluttered to the surface – Harry still gripping the carpet. Hugo raised an eyebrow and Harry hesitantly offered a "We were trying out a flying carpet … we might not get the chance to do that again ..."

Draco chimed in with "They're more complicated than we thought."

Hugo looked over at the crestfallen Percy who shrugged. "I don't have any excuses, sir. I shouldn't have let them do it."

Hugo smiled. "True, but now you know better – as long as you remember the lesson."

Draco and Harry huffed in aggravation. Percy wouldn't be caving to their pleas the rest of the trip, they could tell.

Hugo dressed and helped them cast drying charms on themselves and the carpet. They made their way back to the agitated shopkeeper who was appalled they'd broken the carpet. The boys let Hugo do the bartering and Draco ended up paying for it, saying that Lucius would want to see the runes in the design even if they didn't work anymore.

Hugo gave them three new portkeys – the others had disintegrated in the pool water. "I expect no more 'grand adventures' if you please." Harry and Draco nodded, fully intending not to. Hugo sighed – they were trouble magnets and he shouldn't waste his breath. He smiled and waved them back toward their hotel.

The trip to the Giza pyramids with Bill and some of his egyptian co-workers went much more smoothly and there was a lot of picture taking done. Dudley was accosted while they examined the sphinx. A young mau cat wandered out of no-where and sat in front of Dudley and stared at him imperiously.

Dudley looked puzzled, but Bill's co-workers just laughed. "You've been chosen, young wizard. The mau are temple cats – beloved of the gods and the pharoahs. If he says you belong to him … then you do."

"Looks like you have a familiar after all, Dudley." Ron said philosophically. Peter almost ran for it then and there – another feline to dodge!

Dudley picked the cat up and draped him across his shoulders. "What if I don't remember to take care of him?" He asked worriedly.

The men roared with laughter. "The mau believe they are still the pharoahs honored pets – he will take you firmly to task if you forget him."

"Oh, good." Dudley said, and the tour of the temples continued with the addition of a mau cat with a skeptical look on his face.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Karnak and Luxor were next. The ruins were magical to Harry's eyes, especially at dusk, Bill showed he and the others how to see the latent ancient magic still present in the places. But it was at Edfu that Harry really connected with the magic still there in the ruins.

The temple of Horus called to him the moment he saw it. He was especially drawn to the even more ancient ruins outside of the main temple.

"They temple you see was built in the Ptolemic period – but it was built over an even more ancient site from the time of Seti. The magic you feel – much of it was from then. The Greek and Roman eras had already lost most of the old kingdom magics." Bill explained.

Harry leaned against the pylon, the osprey in him soaking in the old magic that had invoked the spirit of the falcon. Harry found himself seeing the area from high in the sky – but not the Edfu of 1993 – there were people in the dress of old Egypt, driving chariots and wagons being pulled by oxen. He flew lower to get a closer look.

He was abruptly yanked out of the vision by Bill dragging him away from the ancient pillar. Bill's co-workers looked at him worriedly, muttering to each other.

Harry breathed in and told Bill what he had seen with awe in his voice. Bill was briefly jealous – such a strong connection – and on the first try without even intending it.

"You must be careful – many of these pillars were created to record their lives and history – you can easily be dragged in … and you might not find your way back out nearly as easily." Bill looked at him strangely.

Harry shrugged. "My animagus form is an osprey." Harry explained with a slight apology in his voice.

Bill and his friends nodded, now understanding. "The temple of Horus is dangerous ground for you – you must be careful – no matter how drawn you might feel."

Harry looked around, wishing he could stay and explore for months instead of days. Bill looked at him in understanding.

"There is a section of wizarding historians who explores places like this. There aren't many who can connect with the stones themselves to see the past." Bill smiled at Harry's immediate grin of determination.

Arthur sighed, listening to all of it with resignation. He hoped Severus didn't have totally different plans for Harry.

To Harry's delight they spent several days in the area and Harry soaked in the magic of the place even if Bill wouldn't let him touch anything. They borrowed horses and explored the surrounding area and even took a tour of a nearby oasis. Running the spirited and tough little arabians across the sands wasn't the same as flying in the visions, but it held its own form of magic. They spent the evenings trying to get Dudley to name the cat.

Dudley remained firm. "He'll let me know what his name is." At long last, just as they were leaving Dudley anounce that the cat's name was Seti. Harry smiled happily - the cat did have the mein of a pharoah.

The tour looped back up the Nile and went to Thebes and eventually back to Cairo. This time Arthur went with Harry to the marketplaces, which was much better as Arthur enjoyed the sightseeing there as much as Harry. They managed to track down the local apothecary and looked over the ingrediants he had. Harry wasn't sure if any of them were different from what Severus already had. however he bought seeds for several lotus plants.

"Maybe Aunt Petunia and her club can grow them for dad." Harry said, "I know they can be used in some of the more exotic potions."

Arthur nodded agreeably and steered Harry away from the coffee-shops he was gazing at. Harry would be up for days if he tried anything from there. The group at last made their way back to Alexandria, and could scarcely believe they'd been gone almost a month. Harry was now eager to get back to Dragonsrest in time for his birthday.

After a few days recuperating in the hotel they met up with a well-tanned Hugo who had been shadowing their travels with his own family. They had left the day before and Hugo was also anxious to return to home – he'd heard some disturbing rumors and wanted to find out the truth.

They soon landed in Britain and flooed to the Leakey Cauldron for their rendevous with the newlyweds.

Harry ran straight to Severus as he arrived, and they hugged each other fiercely. Severus' eyes met Hugo's and Hugo knew immediately the story was true. Severus was holding a crumpled wanted poster – with Sirius Black's screaming image on it.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z