Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Christmas 1993

Rosmerta, Petunia and the girls arrived in force the next morning. They fussed a bit over the 'invalids', but tried to remember that 13 year old males only appreciated being 'babied' when no one could see. Petunia already knew this, and Rosmerta had been watching Hogwarts students long enough to know better than to overdo the fussing – at least in front of witnesses.

Dudley, Draco and Harry told them the whole story – taking turns with details. Beth squealed and oohed appropriately. Tori listened carefully, looked at Seti speculatively and then declared she absolutely had to have a cat for Christmas. This was immediately seconded by Beth.

When Severus and Lucius arrived they had immediate demands being made for last minute letters to be sent to Father Christmas for 'Christmas kittens'. The two wizards glanced at each other and grimaced, though Severus was thoughtful – at least this would take care his problem of what exactly to buy Beth for Christmas.

Seeing their success, Tori and Beth jumped onto the beds to tell the boys all about their school. Beth carefully avoided Harry's injured leg, which was still rather tender.

"Maybe you should get a cane like Mr. Malfoy, Harry." Beth offered brightly. This was met with laughter from everyone, including Harry. The snickering got louder when Rosmerta brought a cane out from under her cloak to present it to Harry. It had a plain handle, unlike Lucius', but it did have all four house animals carved into it.

"Cool!" Harry exclaimed, and Draco made a few jealous noises, but decided having to regrow bones to get a cane like that wasn't worth it.

Draco shuffled into the showers and got dressed, followed by Harry, who was getting pointers on how to use the cane by Lucius. When they got out they found a bemused Albus being stared down by Tori, who was demanding to know if he was Father Christmas – and if so, she had decided she wanted a kitten.

Albus smiled at the imperiously staring child and then up to Lucius who was standing behind her with an identical haughty expression – and an amused look in his eyes. Indeed, Albus thought, the apple had not fallen far from the tree at all. He might consider retirement before young Victoria hit Hogwarts, he thought.

Beth bounded over with a smile and laugh, adding that she was wanting a cat as well – a kneazle, like Ginny Weasley had. Tori and Beth exchanged smug smiles as Albus promised to pass the information along to Father Christmas. Yes, Albus thought, a pair to be watched for sure.

Seti's ears twitched while he lounged next to Dudley. Another feline in his domain? Well, it might stop Tori from stalking him and trying to get him to join her and Beth's tea parties.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

The Malfoy family flooed to Spinners End about the same time as the other students got on the train for the holidays. Severus was at a last-minute meeting going over schedules with Albus and the others. Severus was still trying to push the idea that as he'd stayed over the holidays for several years straight before Harry arrived in his life, that he should be exempt from staying for a few years as well. That was shot down, just as he expected, but he did parlay it down to just three days immediately after Christmas. Even Lucius, as 'staff member' of some sort had been dragooned into watching over Hogwarts for a few days during the holiday before he'd left with his family.

As the meeting ended, Severus turned to Remus as if facing a firing squad and cleared his throat. "Aah, Lupin, we would be quite … happy to have you as a guest for a few days around Christmas, if you have nothing else planned?" Severus tried to not look too hopeful that Lupin's calendar might already be full.

The rest of the staff left after giving Severus benevolent smiles that made him flush with temper, and he resolutely refused to look at Dumbledore – his twinkling was likely blinding by now. Remus smiled at Severus gently. Severus and Lucius had been slowly thawing since Remus had revealed all those tunnels to them. Severus served his wolfsbane without any remarks about fur on the furniture or him 'needing to be let out at night'. Lucius no longer made pointed references to where the moon was in its cycle. One couldn't call them chummy, but the cease-fire and lack of hostility was most welcome.

Now he was being invited for Christmas … a bit grudgingly, but still … an invitation. "I would be most happy to visit – let me know what days are convenient." Remus answered with a smile.

Severus nodded and escaped to the infirmary to collect Harry. Tom, Rosmerta and Beth had already left. Harry was ready, and they made for the floo, Harry leaning only slightly on the cane. Harry hoped to leave before the Mediwitch could use the word delicate again. Severus held Hedwig's cage, the bird fluffing in aggravation – she didn't like the floo.

Harry settled back into Dragonsrest happily. It felt quite good to be back home. The tree was set up and Harry helped trim it, though he had to sit to rest the leg frequently. Beth kept up a running commentary on what cat to get, her school – his school, the dragons, the new children in Tom's 'Home' and so on. Harry was relieved – no response from any of them was really necessary most of the time. This was actually comforting to Tom, Severus and Harry since carrying on a conversation was sometimes difficult for them.

It was easier to trim the tree in silence and let the girl chatter – that way they didn't have to come up with holiday pleasantries. They mostly didn't know any.

Rosmerta came in with a tray of hot cocoa, eggnog and some scones and biscuits. Soon the two girls were chatting and the background of chatter soothed the two Slytherin – and one sort-of Gryffindor's nerves.

Tom still felt a bit of a fraud, with the holiday 'thing', though with Dora and Harry and the rest it was getting easier – he liked watching them have fun and this made him feel at least a part of all the fuss. Severus was similarly divided, though he'd slowly learned to fake 'Christmas cheer' a bit for Rosmerta after they'd started seeing each other. With Harry, Tom and now Beth in the mix he found he could participate with something resembling sincerity – because he wanted to see them happy. Harry could remember being left out of celebrations, but those memories were fading as newer, happier ones took their place. Still, he found exuberant chattering a bit beyond him much of the time.

At last Rosmerta went up to tuck a rebellious Beth in bed and Harry was helped up the stairs by Severus – the cane and sore foot made navigating them difficult. Harry hesitantly asked "Dad …?" Just before Severus left, making him stop in the doorway and turn.

"When I was falling …" Harry continued, sharpening Severus' interest. "The dementors – they made me hear things, and there were so many dementors – I could vaguely see shadows of the people I could hear. I could hear them dying … my parents, I mean. My father was yelling for mom to take me and run and then I could hear him dying – and mum was pleading and screaming my name …" Harry took a ragged breath. "… and then that green light at the very end."

Severus let out a breath and his shoulders fell a bit. Of all the things to have to relive … but they were likely Harry's worst memories. He moved back into the room and sat next to Harry on the bed. "I am very sorry you have to hear that … dementors really are foul creatures, making us relive our worst memories and taking away good ones at the same time. It's why they are used as punishment at Azkaban."

"They take memories?" Harry asked, aghast.

"Well, they likely didn't have time to rummage around after one of yours – and they don't take them completely – not really. They take the joy from the memory, and therefore make it more difficult to remember – like a memory of winning your first Quidditch match. You remember it clearly because it is a good memory for you – if they take all the happiness from it, it will likely fade away and you wouldn't remember it as clearly – if at all."

"Oh, that's horrible." Harry whispered and looked at Severus quizzically.

Severus sighed. "I became rather well acquainted with them right after the first war – I spent a few days in holding cells at Azkaban 'waiting to be officially convicted' until Albus cleared me. There were only one or two dementors at a time – but they were rather too fond of me, I felt. This was likely because I had real horrors in my life – just as you do, and some of them were rather fresh - so I was a tempting target."

"Does anyone really deserve to be subjected to them?" Harry muttered. He couldn't imagine being housemates with dementors for years at a stretch.

"It's one of the only ways to cage wizards and witches. The dementors keep them too cowed and crazed to make escape plans … usually." Severus said with a grimace. "There's been plenty of talk about building a lower level prison for those with lesser crimes, though the threat of the dementors keeps many from wrongdoing in the first place. And really, most with lesser charges are kept at the ministry, even for months at a time."

Harry nodded, feeling better that he'd shared the experience with Severus, who had had similar encounters with them.

"We need to practice that Patronus charm with you." Severus muttered as he tucked Harry in. "I'll speak to Tom … and Lupin will be here for a few days … he can help as well." Severus hated to give over instruction to anyone … but charms had never been his forte – they had been Lily's domain.

Harry smiled, knowing that it had cost Severus to invite Remus – and then want him to give Harry extra instruction. "Thank you, dad." He said quietly, and Severus nodded, hearing that Harry was thanking him for much more than the tuck-in.

Tom quickly wrapped gifts while everyone was upstairs and put them under the tree with all the others. They were rather simple gifts – Quidditch magazine subscriptions and new dragonhide gloves for Harry, a couple of cut-crystal stirring rods Severus would never dream of buying for himself because they were so ruinously expensive, some pretty earrings for Rosmerta. He'd hurriedly sent for cat things for the promised cat for Beth along with the toys he'd already bought for her. He came to the last gift – he'd ordered it made months ago. A bracelet to match the one he'd already given Dora, with cheetahs carved out of amber with tiny emerald eyes.

While picking up the bracelet, he'd lingered over the engagement rings for a long time. He had wanted to get one, but he knew Dora felt she needed to finish the Auror training 'before getting serious'. They'd talked about the future a few times, but with war approaching they knew that defeating Voldemort first was imperative and they both would be at the forefront of the battles. Still, he'd have like to have his ring on her finger – declaring her off-limits to all those pushy Auror trainees that he would see eyeing her cute behind. It always made him steam when he saw that.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Severus opened one eye with reluctance, knowing what was waiting. Sure enough a beaming sprite was at the bedside. "I'm thirsty." It said. As if Miss Elizabeth hadn't figured out where the sinks were by now. Still, it had become habit. Once or twice in a week, when he was at home she would do this. At the stroke of two AM, she would show up demanding water. Severus silently acknowledged that he had fed the habit by making a game of transfiguring more and more exotic or flashy or otherwise unusual glasses for her each time.

He sighed dramatically, as if quite put upon, making her giggle and took the handkerchief he had ready to transfigure a crystal glass, and with great concentration he ensured it had prancing unicorns etched into it. Beth clapped her hands in delight. He tapped the glass to summon ice and water into it, and then handed the glass to her. She trotted happily to her bed, sipping the water on the way. He then tucked her in, muttering that she'd best stay there. She grinned happily and piped, "Goodnight, Sev."

"Goodnight, Miss Elizabeth." He intoned, making her giggle again. He only called her that during her 2 AM raids. She'd become Beth the rest of the time.

Severus stretched back out in his own bed, sighing, and Rosmerta turned over to whisper. "She keeps them, you know."

Severus looked at her quizzically.

"The glasses you conjure for her." Rosmerta laughed. "She keeps them all in a box in her closet. She and Tinker had a great row over it last week – he wanted to clean them and put them up in the cupboard – she had a fit, insisted they stay with her in her room."

"Oh, I see …" Severus said, though he wasn't sure he did see. The girl was keeping the glasses. Well, children were notorious hoarders and made collections of the oddest things – from butterflies to rocks and chocolate frog cards. It didn't necessarily mean she kept them because of him.

Rosmerta quelled the impulse to push – Severus would grasp he now had a daughter as well as two sons soon enough. He already behaved as a father, the penny would drop eventually.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Neville stormed into the old room that had belonged to Callidora and slammed down the small portrait he'd been carrying with him for over two years, forcing her into her larger portrait housed in her old bedroom. He resolutely ignored her pleas and left again. He was tired of the portrait's lectures on Blaise leading him astray on top of his grandmother's barking about him being a disappointment to generations of Longbottoms.

He'd nearly told her he wouldn't visit his parents with her that holiday, but couldn't quite bring himself to say that. Even as demented and unresponsive as they were, he did want to see them.

He kicked his bedroom door shut and threw himself onto his bed. He would miss Callidora. She'd been the first one to ever help him – had helped him find a wand that actually worked for him to use at school – out of sight of his grandmother. They'd been an excellent pair at plotting when he'd been harassing Uncle Algie. He clutched his pillow, almost deciding to run and fetch her back.

No, he thought. She incessantly tried to get him to leave Blaise and Crabbe – wanting him to start running around with Harry and Draco, or at least spend more time with Dudley and Ron.

He did miss Ron, and even Dudley. But he needed to stay the course with Blaise – he'd show his Grandmother and all the rest of them he wasn't weak or powerless. Blaise had plans to gain power in the ministry when he graduated, be a strong voice for sweeping changes that needed doing.

No one would dismiss him as being 'incidental' or unimportant in the scheme of things, again.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Winton Granger sat staring at his daughter in speechless horror. She had explained much of the Wizarding traditions to he and his wife over the last two days, and they had found it all quite interesting and had discussed many of the differences in the muggle and wizarding worlds and how traditions likely held much of the wizarding world together and helped keep order in what would otherwise be total chaos, considering their abilities.

Hermione had then slowly explained about house-elves and how she'd mistaken them for slaves and the magic that bound them – and why. She'd gone on to tell how she'd inadvertently caused grave insult to the Malfoy family and in particular, Lucius Malfoy when she'd freed Dobby – though Dobby had been immediately returned.

Winton was terrified. They'd met Lucius Malfoy in DiagonAlley and Winton had immediately known Lucius for what he was – ruthless – someone who could unflinchingly do whatever he felt needed to be done, no matter how brutal the act might be. He had no doubts that Lucius had killed in the past and would kill again in the future without hesitation. He could think of no one worse for his daughter to have made an adversary of.

Hermione then topped it off by telling him about wizard duels. Winton was fairly sure his heart actually stopped for several seconds and then his guts turned to ice. Duel? Him? Against Lucius Malfoy? Not even a battalion of Her Majesty's finest could save him.

Hermione hastily assured her parents that no, Winton Granger would not be shoved in front of a merciless Malfoy and be expected to engage in a wizard duel. "I'm going to apologize to him – I should anyway, now that I know I was wrong and that I really, really insulted him."

Winton hesitated. He didn't want to face Lucius Malfoy in a duel, but he didn't want Hermione doing this just to save him, either. "Are you sure … what if he doesn't accept?"

"Oh, tradition says he must accept if he knows I am sincere." Hermione answered. "I just have to do it correctly. I'm not sure what kind of apology he would prefer, though … and I have to do it right." Hermione pulled over a rather fancy looking book with the title. 'Charming Acts of Contrition'.

Winton looked at the book dubiously, and leaned over to start reading it with her. Madeline got up to clear the table. She'd been silent during this, mostly out of horror. She wished she could just pull Hermione from that world, but their daughter had sent a lot of history books and other information to her to read. She knew from letters Hermione sent while at school that barring Hermione from magic would break her heart. Hermione had quite reasonably pointed out that the muggle world was no less dangerous much of the time.

Madeline recalled Lucius as well as the man's equally formidable friend Professor Snape whom they had met on that first trip to DiagonAlley over two years ago. Both men were dangerous, but she also recalled the children with them. All of them seemed happy and unafraid - and children were often the better judges of character. At the least she doubted Lucius would bother terrorizing a child and Hermione had said that forcing Winton into battle would be something likely to get Lucius ostracized.

She shook her head and hoped that Hermione came up with an acceptable apology.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Heather Black levitated a deer carcass over to the eager Hazelette and shifted her eyes away just a bit as the dragon greedily gobbled it down. Yet another reason to study herbivores, she thought. Unicorns were never messy. Still, Hazelette was a nice dragon, as dragons went. She didn't mind looking after her while Tom and Hagrid took holiday breaks. The Auror trainees were settling in and Heather and her mother Ruth were using the holiday to look over the Dark Forest's unicorn herds again.

She turned to head back to the castle to find Oliver Wood standing behind her … again. The nearly graduated Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team had taken to stalking her at every opportunity. He'd even stayed over the holiday 'to study'. Not that she minded having the rather handsome Oliver after her … not at all.

They walked down the trail together, talking about his upcoming NEWTs and her unicorn studies companionably.

Baleful eyes watched them leave from a safe distance. Sirius Black was finding it difficult to explore for the crevices that should be the entrance to the chamber with that blasted dragon around. Even as the grim it was hard, as she had taken to exploring dog scent as well. There were fewer dementors, which was good, but now the enthusiastic Auror trainees were arriving. He needed to find the entrance, and fast.

Of course hunting as a dog was problematic, and not only because he would easily get caught up in marauder memories. The dog knew they were 'hunting' and would go tearing off after rabbits. Not necessarily a bad thing. Having rabbit as a steady diet was boring, but it did mean he didn't have to go steal meals or risk trying to buy one all the time. He'd even surprised a pheasant the day before and was keeping it for a little Yule feast in a couple days.

Sirius got close to the edge of the cliffs, where he was sure the crevice was and looked over the side. He growled unhappily. There seemed to be a great many craggy rocks and areas that could be hiding the entrance. He hated rock climbing. Levitating would be dangerous and difficult. Especially since he could not do it as a dog – and he had dementors, Aurors and dragons looking for him.

He needed to get money and equipment. He would have to chance DiagonAlley and Gringotts. Even as a fugitive, the goblins would let him in. They cared little for the Wizarding legal system, only bowing to it when they had to – or if it suited them in some way. There were tales of wizards and witches who had lived in their vaults while on the run and the goblins had refused to turn them over, saying that customers could stay and 'count their money' as long as they liked – as long as they paid their 'fees'.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Lucius and Severus took Beth and Tori to DiagonAlley 'to pick out the kittens so Father Christmas wouldn't get the wrong ones'. They were quite happy to assist in this matter of course and whispered about what cat would be best.

Tom, along with Harry, Draco and Dudley escaped the horror of cat-shopping by wrapping presents to take over to the wizard orphanage. Serafina and Jack had provide lists of wishes and Petunia and Rosmerta had owl-ordered the lot. They just needed wrapping and delivering.

There were only four children there – Jack had found several more, but he was proving to be a gifted detective and had tracked down wizarding relatives for the others – some were quite distant relation, but still relation – and blood was everything to many wizarding families. As predicted they had been snapped up eagerly by the relatives – Tom had called Severus in that morning to mediate a loud dispute that was quickly turning into wands being drawn over the custody of one astonished 8 year old.

Three different parties wanted him – his squib mother's cousin, an estranged grandfather and an Aunt and Uncle were all arguing loudly. Severus had cowed them all into a suitable agreement.

One relative of a little girl had needed encouragement – not that the child wasn't wanted, but the very distant great-great aunt – in law was nearly 150 years old and was afraid she would merely leave the child orphaned again. The old woman had finally contacted some of her in-laws – using Serafina's floo to firecall them. They were not actually related to the child, but they had agreed happily to take the girl "should the worst happen". So the pair had left, cheerfully getting to know each other.

Seti watched Tom and the boys leave from the large bay window in the library, unwilling to brave the snow even for Dudley if it wasn't absolutely imperative. He twitched an ear, hearing the floo – the noise telling him that the cat shoppers had left. He hopped down to head for the kitchens. Tinker wasn't as easily bullied as Dobby, but he likely had fish of some sort to give him.

Lucius and Severus headed to Gringotts first to drop off paperwork and grab a bag of galleons in case cats prices had gone up for the holidays. Severus had gone to the door with the girls, as he'd gotten done first – Lucius always felt he had to argue about rates with the tellers.

Lucius was striding to the door when he found himself stopped by Hermione Granger, who was blocking his path. He jaw clenched – this could not be good – she was looking rather determined. He glanced over at the man standing at a teller's cage – Granger's muggle father, he supposed. Mr. Granger looked at Lucius with clear unease – obviously unhappy at the proceedings – whatever they were.

Lucius glanced back down at the girl in irritation – they were beginning to draw attention from the crowd in the bank.

"Mr. Malfoy," She began, "I wish to covey my deepest apologies to you and the House of Malfoy for my insults and the offense of freeing the house-elf Dobby. Lack of knowledge of the wizarding world and its traditions is no excuse and I can only offer my sincerest regret at what I have done." The apology was short, but Hermione had read that short was better as long as you made sure to confess to everything and were sincere.

Now came the hard part that her father had disliked, saying it was unconscionably feudal and couldn't believe it was still in use … still it conveyed how sincere she was. It was also why she was doing this here and not at school – she'd rather her classmates didn't see it. She quickly knelt on one knee and laid her hand palm-up on the floor in front of Lucius Malfoy. There were whispers around them, but they were all approving, to her relief. It had been difficult to believe that the wizarding world would find all this acceptable. But, as she had read, here in the wizarding world you were expected to show that you meant your apology.

Lucius stared at the girl in astonishment. She'd managed a credible apology and was doing the whole ritual correctly. Her manner and tone were sincere – or an award winning act. The crowd around him was certainly approving – and they were now all looking at him.

Lucius gritted his teeth; this was the most problematic part. He had to very cautiously put his shoe on her hand, to convey acceptance of her apology. He cursed whoever had come up with this ritual - back long before even the founders had been born. If you accidentally trod on the fingers or caused injury … well, you might as well put your wand to your head and shout 'Avada Kedavra'. More than one inebriated wizard had ruined his social standing in that manner – stumbling and breaking a finger or two.

He very carefully tapped the very end of his shoe on the top of her palm and stepped back, sighing in relief. He then extended a hand to help Hermione to her feet – not a necessary gesture on his part, but considered to mean that he had truly accepted her apology.

Light clapping came from the impromptu audience and approving nods and smiles. Hermione could hear more than one voice saying they were glad to see a young witch who knew how things ought to be done. Hermione sagged a little in relief; at least with this done right her father was completely safe.

Now for the final act of the little play. "What may I do in reparation, Mr. Malfoy?" Hermione asked in as steady a voice as possible.

The crowd held their breath and Severus eyed Lucius in curiosity. This was where; again, things could go badly. Usually the one who was 'the wronged party' asked for something appropriate – if the person had broken something they might be asked replace it or help repair it. It was considered crass to ask for money – though it was alright to accept it if the 'offender' offered it. Sometimes the wizard just said that the apology was enough. Severus wondered what Lucius would ask – he was a Slytherin, they never turned down a chance for someone to owe them a favor.

Lucius thought swiftly and said, "You know that Hogwarts will be offering a Wizarding culture class next year?" At her swift nod he continued. "I would like you to offer your assistance to the teacher – I've sure you will have considerable insight for them …" Lucius smiled smugly at Hermione's delighted look.

"I would like that very much." Hermione answered in relief. Helping a teacher? She could hardly wait.

With the rituall concluded the crowd gave a few last approving noises and shuffled away.

Lucius gave a small inclination of his head and escaped; Hermione gave quick curtsy and scurried to her relieved father. Severus managed to only give one snicker and smirk as they trooped down to the Magical Menagerie.

Lucius immediately demanded to see the more expensive kittens 'in the back of the store'. "Breeders have been keeping back the more magical cats for generations, and only selling a few of the more powerful kittens here and there. Not that they have extraordinary abilities, exactly – not like Seti – but the better bred kneazles have their own particular talents as well." Lucius commented.

Beth and a dark red tabby kitten immediately rushed to each other. Severus groaned - a very long haired kneazle with a bushy plume of a tail and ears as tufted as any lynx. Even as a young kitten it was as big as Seti. Maybe it was part lynx.

"I'll name you Rudy." Beth declared hugging the smug kitten and dragging it over to Severus so he could pretend to be delighted.

Tori looked around at the frolicking kittens uncertainly. Then she felt a pair of eyes on her and looked over to see a pair of very aloof cats sitting on a window ledge. A tuxedo patterned black and white kitten jumped down and stared at her. She slowly went over and held out a hand. The cat sniffed it and then rubbed against it in acceptance. Tori smiled in delight.

"A Norwegian Forest Cat – some witches way up in Norway have been breeding them for generations – they are very good familiars, a bit standoffish at times – but still very good." The shopkeeper eagerly supplied the information. Severus and Lucius both mused that the dignified kitten likely matched Tori's temperament perfectly.

The transaction was made and the girls carried the kittens out. Severus noticed that Miss Granger was also leaving with a push-faced cat – likely a Persian/kneazle cross – quite popular with some.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Christmas morning dawned with a heavy snow falling, to all the children's delight. The presents were opened and a Christmas brunch eaten. Tom left afterward to take Dora her present at Hogwarts, as she was going to be one of the guards there. Tom was quite happy that she'd been able to talk Rufus into that.

The gifts at Dragonsrest were opened and Beth played 'cave' with the boxes and Rudy played with the paper until Tori arrived after lunch. The girls wish to make snowmen, snow forts and snow angels, etc. The back garden simply wouldn't do – they would have to be careful of the plants underneath and the girls didn't even know where the plants were.

The boys went out and helped with the forts, and a snowball fight erupted - they even dragged Tom into it. A dozen snowmen were made and with the help of a few charms, were quite comical. The boys were called in to take a large crate of wine over to the dragonrider's hall for distribution. The girls pleaded to be allowed to stay outside a little longer and were told not to stray from the forts and snowmen.

But a pair of eyes watched them from the nearby woods. A young unicorn – very young, as he was still gold in color – was curious about all the holiday lights, the sparkling trees in the windows, and general festivities. He had come to the edge of the trees to have a closer look and was spotted by the two girls.

All promises of staying close to the house were forgotten at the sight of the unicorn and they raced toward him. The colt turned and trotted away, annoyed, but the girls followed without hesitation and were soon lost to sight in the trees.

The Welsh green dragon, who shared the pool during the summers, had been watching Dragonsrest that day. The dragons made sure someone was always watching. He'd been puzzled by the forts and snowmen, and intrigued by the snowball fight. The little girls racing after the unicorn had been alarming, though. The snow was falling even heavier than before and it was quickly getting dark.

The dragon charged over to the house and roared for Tom and Yvane. The occupants raced out of the house when Tom had reported the dragon's message – the girls were gone.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z