Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The First Task

Albus grimaced as he watched Minerva leave his office, spine stiffly straight in annoyance. She'd finally cracked after he'd handed out the Christmas vacation schedule. Severus would be staying this year – the entire Christmas break. " … As he was needed to chaperone the Yule ball, and he'd had so muc of the last Christmas off …" Most of the Professors would have to spend extra days this year, as so many of the older students would be staying for the Yule Ball before going home.

Albus was aggravated to find that Severus had, apparently, expected this and just smiled while the other teachers looked at Albus in incredulity.

Yes, many of the upper years were staying most of the Christmas vacation because of the Yule ball, and the Beauxbaton and Durmstrang students would be there the entire vacation but really, there was no reason Severus couldn't leave for at least a few days … and the other Professors knew this.

"I believe that the rules are that my family can visit me here … if I am not able to leave. Beth will be quite thrilled to have a better look at Hogwarts." Severus had said, refusing to show any irritation. The other teachers had nodded emphatically at that and had fixed Albus with glares … daring him to object.

Now, Minerva had given him a thorough tongue-lashing, saying that she didn't know what Severus had done to earn all Albus' petty actions but he'd better rethink things, because "… things have gone too far if people are now thinking Snape is the 'good guy' and you're the 'evil bat'."

That had startled him. He hadn't realized that his actions had made people feel that way. Of course he'd also expected Severus to not 'take things lying down' … Albus had expected some shouting and a tantrum or two that would have gained Albus at least a little sympathy – or at least would have had people believing that Snape must deserve it.

Now he was left with Severus being viewed as a martyr and he as the bully. The problem was, he was still angry with Severus. The threat to pull Harry from Hogwarts had stunned him … and the knowledge that Severus would prosecute him if he had tried to stop Severus had left him gaping in horror.

Until now Severus' protectiveness had been … cute, perhaps even heart-warming. He'd worried that Severus would not survive losing Harry in the war - he hoped that having Rosmerta and Beth, along with Tom would be enough for Severus once Harry died – as Harry surely must. But Albus had never once doubted that when necessary he would be able to remove Harry from Severus and get the 'Chosen One' to do his duty.

Now it was glaringly obvious that he'd been masterfully outflanked by Severus and his well-lawyered henchman, Lucius.

Oh, he knew that he'd had the wool pulled over his eyes by that Uber-Slytherin pair more than once. There was something definitely fishy about young Tom, though he had no idea what and since he liked Tom he'd put his misgivings aside. Certainly Severus had swept Harry and Dudley off to the Welsh Reserve and Albus hadn't learned of it for quite some time. But, now … well, he felt hamstrung by the threats Severus had made and he simply didn't know what to do.

Severus had no intention of letting Harry be placed in harm's way for any reason, let alone let Harry die to rescue the wizarding world from Voldemort and Albus had no idea of how to change his mind.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Rufus sat at a table with Amelia Bones and Hugo Savage. There were a few other Aurors and paper – pushers lurking in the room as well. They were going over placement of the newly graduated trainees from the Academy. The trainees had spent a few months 'trying out' several departments and positions they thought they would like and had written down their choices. The departments had also written in to let them know what trainees they thought would be the best fit.

For the past three years … since the 'incident' with the Sorcerer's Stone … they had increased their recruiting to the Auror Academy. In spite of going to the 'Auror Academy' – not all went into service as dark wizard catchers - many went to support services. They might become potioneers – making the weaponized potions and other much needed potions, or maintaining safehouses for Aurors and anyone else that might need to hide – whether for one hour or a year.

Those with particular talents were sorted to other places – placing charms on Auror's equipment and uniforms to protect them, to departments that did cursebreaking, research – as in the department of mystery. There were dozens of places for wizards and witches with abilities they needed. Some became guards, though most guards were partially retired Aurors.

They all started in the Academy though many found that dueling for their lives was, after all, not what they really wanted to do.

They came to Nymphadora Tonks' file and Rufus hid a grimace – if only she wasn't attached to a wizard with a dark guardian. She was very talented – and not just with that metamorphmagus ability, though that alone would have gotten her admitted to the ranks. She was a very good duelist and had a flair for finding clues and evidence at crime scenes. Witnesses were quite willing to talk to her when she took down reports. Interrogation might be a problem, since she didn't appear all that threatening, but that was something they only taught after trainees were given their scarlet cloaks and began working as an Auror in earnest.

Hugo enthused happily over Dora's qualifications and Amelia's eyes gleamed at the thought at having a metamorphmagus in the ranks once more – the last one had retired a decade ago. Yes, Dora would definitely be among the dark wizard catchers and detectives. With the graduates dealt with, Amelia and Hugo looked at Rufus with smiles.

"We looked over your request to move from the Academy and back to the ranks … I think that can be done, now. Treadway is retiring from being head of the guards of Azkaban and the Ministry holding cells – he's going to Italy to take over a vineyard. That will get you out of the Academy and next year both Grimstock and Chauncey want to take a partial retirement – they can split your job keeping track of prisoners and you can take Chauncey's spot as a section chief." Amelia said with satisfaction.

Rufus nodded with resignation. Admission back into the main Auror corps would be a bit slower than he had hoped, but he did have Amelia and Hugo's backing on it, so it would happen … eventually. The Wizarding World had a long memory … when it chose to do so. The screw up with Harry Potter that had occurred might have been mostly Umbridge's doing – but they would remember he'd been in charge of her. Rufus knew he would be watched closely – and not just by his superiors.

The Boy Who Lived was still beloved by the Wizarding World … anyone who attacked his 'family' had best have a very, very good reason – and boatloads of proof to back him up. Yes, the public could be fickle, but so far they were not turning on Harry Potter. If Rufus intended to extricate the boy from the coils of his pet Death Eater Slytherins … he'd have to do so much more cautiously, he would not forget to tread carefully next time – and there would be a next time.

Minister Fudge was showing unexpected backbone since there was 'evidence' of dark activities and now with the terrifying appearance of Death Eaters at the World Cup. Rufus had been loud in his objections to announcing that 'He Who Must Not Be Named' was resurrected. He felt there was no concrete evidence and Fudge had conceded that they should not cause a panic without definitive proof, but had insisted – at the urging of Dumbledore and his cronies – that precautions would be taken and there was a general 'cracking down' on dark activities.

This increase in Auror trainees was another action the Ministry had taken. Fudge might be persuaded to not declare that the Dark Lord had returned – but he would not be dissuaded from increasing protection from dark wizards.

That was alright with Rufus, though. He would just need to bide his time and eventually all these Death Eaters wandering around free would get rounded up – it was already starting with apprehending those idiots at the World Cup.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Harry and Draco sat by Cedric with broad grins, watching the Champion's astonished face. It really wasn't that impressive a feat they felt – but they were happy to have surprised Cedric and to be able to make it clear that Cedric's second … Harry - could be of use to the Champion.

"Are you supposed to tell me this … I don't want you in trouble …" Cedric asked hesitantly. "Do Victor and Fleur know …?"

Harry nodded with a grin. "I saw Madame Maxine and Hagrid 'taking a walk together' and followed them – I saw Karkaroff doing the same thing and sure enough – they were all taking a good long look at the dragons." Harry beamed at Cedric. He was feeling quite smug that he'd managed to solve this.

Draco nodded. "Not that we hadn't mostly figured it out already … Tom and Percy arrived early this week – they both work at the Welsh Reserve and they're 'here for an extended visit' … not much of a leap to realize that dragons must be the first task."

"Dragons …" Cedric muttered, suddenly realizing that the tasks really were going to be life-threatening.

Pansy had been listening closely to conversations the past few days, and this was the opening she'd been waiting for. Even before she had started her first year the Parkinsons had realized that changes were happening. They might not like them, but they'd had to learn survival long before this. For a time they had thought that Pansy going after Draco was the answer, but they'd held off when Lucius had thrown in with Harry Potter and Snape.

They agreed, mostly, with the idea that the muggleborns were a danger and it was better to interact only with other purebloods – or at least Halfbloods that were dedicated to the wizarding world. Their own family was not ancient … they were only 'pureblood' back four or five generations, but Pansy's parents had their own reasons for hating muggles. Pansy's father was mostly barmy, now, after the few years he'd spent in Azkaban. Pansy's mother at this point only wanted her family safe. She'd astutely told Pansy to hang back in first year – to shun no one until they decided who to back.

Pansy had ceased chasing Draco, but did not throw in with Blaise either. Theo Nott – who was also walking a tightrope – was the only one she spent much time with besides her roommates Daphne, Millicent and Tracy. Daphne was also refusing to take sides, being polite with Harry and Draco as well as Blaise and Neville. Tracy Davis was a half-blood, so she was able to throw in with Harry's crowd with no one blaming her at all. Millicent was from a dark pureblood family and made no pretense of being nice to Potter, but she sneered at Blaise and was among the first to hex him when he got 'uppity'.

After the World Cup and just before the year started Pansy and her mother had sat down for a hurried conference. With the Death Eaters return they could not afford to put things off … Pansy needed to make a choice and to her dismay … she could see that she needed to back Potter, like it or not. But, she was a Slytherin and she would do what needed to be done. Carefully, of course, and without fawning on the little cretin.

She grabbed up two books she'd been carrying with her for a few days. She coughed delicately and ignored the slight frown from Draco. Harry, at least, looked at her in curiosity instead of hostility. Most of the time he forgot Pansy existed, she was so quiet around her housemates.

Pansy proffered the books and looked at Harry earnestly. "I had a great – great - great uncle that was in a Tri-Wizard tournament – he wrote a manuscript about it, though he never bothered to publish it. I also had a relative that was at Hogwarts during a tournament … it was quite far back - he wrote about it in his journal." Pansy hesitated. "I sent for them, in case you would like to read about it … I don't know that it will be of any help …"

Harry reached for the books eagerly and Cedric plucked one from him, so they could both start reading. Harry, after an unsubtle jab from Draco's pointy elbow, remembered his manners and gave Pansy fervent and sincere thanks. Cedric muttered an acknowledgement as well, already absorbed in the manuscript.

Draco nodded to Pansy with the first sincere smile he'd given her since they were toddlers. Pansy gave a wan smile in return, and watched Harry dive into the journal.

"When they come up for air … let them know my family will string me - and them - up if anything happens to those books." Pansy's lips twisted and she sighed.

Draco grinned and agreed, it really was a very nice to offer family documents this way – most family journals and books never got presented to non-family members like this. The Parkinsons must be fairly sincere in wishing to throw in with Harry.

A snide voice spoke from a few chairs away. "Selling yourself to the muggle – lovers, Parkinson?" Blaise hissed at the girl, making her flush uncertainly.

"Shut up, worm." Pansy hissed in return. A weak retort, but she'd been caught by surprise by his attack. She'd been lying low the prior three years, so she was unprepared for a confrontation of this sort.

Draco and Harry glared at Blaise – a moment ago they had only been moderately in favor of welcoming Pansy onto their side. Now they were all for accepting her. "Come sit between us." Harry waved at the space between he and Cedric. "I'm sure we'll have some questions …" Cedric smiled absently at the girl and went back to reading.

Pansy took the seat gladly, relieved at the clear acceptance from 'The Boy Who Lived' in front of the school … and the Slytherin house. The message would be clear to those that wished to read it, and hopefully she and her family would be reasonably safe because of it.

Blaise turned back to Neville and the confused looking Crabbe and Goyle. Neville glared at Pansy and her new companions with fury. None of the other Slytherin girls in his own year would give he or his group the time of day – oh, they were polite but nothing more. Theo Nott watched Pansy with sadness, she had been one of the few people he could talk to safely – conversations with Harry and Draco were becoming hazardous for him and he didn't want to talk to Blaise and Neville. Seeing Pansy sitting with Harry and Draco made him feel even more alone than ever.

Mafalda smiled in welcome to Pansy from further down the table. Pavarti and Padma knew Pansy and said they understood Pansy staying neutral for so long – she was an only child and very much under her parent's thumb – they had just been glad she'd not been hostile and that when her family chose they had hoped she would be on Harry's side with them.

Hermione was less happy and watched her friends beaming smiles with uneasiness. She was not sure that Pansy's arrival to Harry's growing group of Slytherin supporters was a good thing. Pansy seemed to always look down on muggleborns and most halfbloods. She never said anything, and she tried to keep a neutral expression as much as possible – but Hermione had caught enough looks from her to know that Pansy felt anyone not pureblood was a waste of perfectly good air.

Hermione had been trying to sort out the whole issue of blood – but it was difficult when so many preferred to not air their views in this environment, when many were still trying to choose sides. Students did tend to stick with their own year-group, except where siblings and close relatives were concerned. With the re-arrangement of the tables in the Great Hall the students were much more aware of their year-mates in other houses, at least.

After some whispered questions here and there over the last couple years, Hermione had a rather complete list of all 37 students in her year and their blood status. She'd expected to find purebloods fewer in number than others. There were, in fact, 19 purebloods, 9 halfbloods, and 9 muggleborn. This confused her a bit. She'd thought that the purebloods would be dying out from the way Hagrid spoke … but perhaps not.

Of course not all muggleborn or half-bloods entered the wizarding world … but a large number of purebloods were home schooled or attended other schools. She wasn't sure what all that meant, but Hagrid had sneered on numerous occasions that there were no purebloods – everyone was halfblood or less. How true was any of it? Or was it all just whatever slant the speaker preferred and wanted to get across to their audience?

Hermione wondered glumly if asking Professor Finch would get an answer she could trust. She was slowly realizing that books could be misleading … or at least incomplete and not all teachers were good at their job or even honest. She had fought the idea but Hermione finally had to accept that no one was infallible, though she took comfort in the fact that there were those who at least had the greater good in mind when they made decisions. She looked at the Headmaster and sighed in relief.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Tonks strolled across the Great Hall, trying to appear casual as she approached Harry. She had news for he and his family, but she was beginning to sense that she needed to be less obvious in her partiality to the residents of Dragonsrest. She had always noted Rufus Scrimgeour's eyes on her at the Academy but had felt unconcerned about that. She'd watched, though, and saw Rufus slowly gather his own little following among the trainee's … those that thought like him. Narrow-minded, unwilling to give second chances to anyone – sometimes not even a first chance if the person in question was from those they disapproved of.

Even with Rufus now head of the 'prisoner and detainee' section of the Auror department, she knew there were those that kept eyes on her. On dates with Tom she always seemed to find a familiar face or two from the Academy – cool eyes watching she and Tom with dispassionate contempt. It made her burn with anger that they dared to judge Tom so harshly because Severus carried the dark mark … when it had been made plain that he'd been a spy for Dumbledore.

She'd been relieved to get picked for guarding the entrances to Hogwarts. The security was tight – but the fact was that with so many having access to the school at present that it was next to impossible to be completely secure. Still, she'd gotten on the Security team … likely because of the year before when she'd captured Sirius Black – even if that had proved to be a study in futility.

Harry had asked for assistance in a gift he was making for he and Tom to give to Severus for Christmas. She'd steered him to books that would help and shown him spells for the transfiguration and melding that he would need.

"Dora!" Harry waved her over when he caught her eye. There were only a few students there at present to her relief. "I've been practicing and I think I've got the spell down right – I just want you to look at these before I try it on the real crystals."

Dora sat with a smile, seeing Tom edging his way over to sit with them. She looked the melded crystals over and nodded. "I think these are fine … just be sure that you aren't rushing when you use your own crystals – you only have the one chance."

Harry nodded and grinned as he left Tom and Dora alone. He'd received another letter from Sirius, to his relief he could now look forward to the letters. They were mostly about things happening now – renovating Grimmauld Place or his latest girlfriend. Any stories about he and James were lighthearted and mostly prank-free.

Tom fiddled with a few papers he was supposed to deliver to the Headmaster at some point and smiled happily at Dora. Yet another Christmas was here – Dora was graduated and he was now working hard with the Welsh Reserve - and he still did not have a ring on her finger. He and Dora had spoken of marriage and they both had reluctantly agreed that now was not the time. Tom was fearful it might never be the right time.

Dora had reassured him but Tom remained uneasy at the wait.

"Rufus seems happily busy with his prison guards and refurbishing the prison and holding cells. They are working at simplifying all the paperwork …" Dora grimaced and watched Tom frown. "He does seem too smug about his move – I expect he feels he won't stay there long. However my major concern is who has just moved into his job at the Academy." Tom looked up and listened more closely. "Pious Thicknesse has been working in the Improper Use of Magic Dept with a relative of his … Mafalda Hopkirk. He has somehow leapfrogged over several others and taken the position – worse he's brought his secretary, Dolores Umbridge."

Tom's eyes took on a scary glint. "Do you ever have the feeling that you are being closed in on … but you can't quite see how?"

Dora nodded, worried as well.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Harry stood silently by Cedric as the small dragons were drawn from the bag by the Tri-Wizard Champions. The seconds hadn't had much to do except help them find information on dragons and pretend that they didn't know what the first task was.

Fleur drew the Welsh Green and smiled slightly … Harry figured she shouldn't have – they were small but very fast – they could be underestimated easily.

Victor Krum drew a Hebridian Black and Harry sighed – he'd hope they would get that one. He was partial to them because of Yvane.

Harry watched resignedly as Cedric drew out the Hungarian Horntail. He recalled the nightmarish female at the Welsh Reserve that was always leading her well-cowed males on adventures that required Obliviators and buckets of burn salve. Yvane and Draco were amused by her … very few others were, though.

Victor went first, casting a conjunctivas curse and ducked around the pawing talons. He took his time, though and went carefully. He dodged that flames the dragon was pouring out in random directions and grabbed the egg. The crowd roared in appreciation as Victor made it out of the ring.

The dragons were exchanged and Fleur took a deep breath, composing herself and left the tent. Her mix of entrancing and confusing spells worked pretty well, though a random flame did set her skirt on fire. Cedric and Harry smiled … they were sure they heard the Weasley twins shouting for the dragon to burn a bit more of it off her. Still she got the egg and made it out with only a little smoke inhalation – and a ruined skirt.

Cedric, followed by Harry, marched to the ring. Harry stopped at the entrance … but the malevolent yellow eyes of the Horntail seemed to encompass him as well as Cedric. Harry was used to the welcoming, protective and friendly Welsh Reserve dragons – this hostility was a shock in spite of Tom's warning that the dragons here at the tournament would view them as enemies and not hesitant to kill.

Cedric had decided on diversion and a hopefully good disillusionment charm. Harry had been uneasy about the summoned animals getting burned, but Cedric demonstrated that they were merely wisps of smoke. Harry had insisted that bigger animals be summoned – that dogs would not distract the dragon from Cedric if the dragon caught sight of him through the disillusionment.

It was well known that Granians and dragons did not get along, so Ceric cast four of them to fly around, diving at the angry Horntail while Cedric made himself less visible – the was still a bit of a transparent shadow, Harry noted, but the dragon was busy with the flying horses and only looked for him when the egg was snatched. In spite of weaving around Cedric got a scorching but was otherwise unharmed.

Once Cedric's burn was healed and Fleur had a new skirt the Champions and seconds went to get the scores. Victor had not been touched by and flames but had been slowest, Cedric was quickest but had been burned, Fleur had taken flames but was not badly hurt - but she had not been very quick, either. In the end Victor was first, Cedric second and Fleur third though the scores were close.

Cedric had remarked the leaving alive had been reward enough. Victor had nodded in agreement but Fleur's interest was elsewhere.

The Headmaster had announced the Yule Ball the day before, to all the witches delight. Fleur – along with every other witch at Hogwarts had immediately started assessing the pickings as far as dates were concerned. Fleur was dismayed to find that among the seventh years … or even sixth years … there were only one or two that were presentable.

However – she had found a male that was at Hogwarts for the next few weeks that was not only handsome and rich … he had somehow not been snatched up by any of these British witches – obviously they were blind and much too slow. There was talk of a girlfriend, but nothing more. He would do quite nicely.

And there he was – just leaving a group of dragonriders and dragonkeepers and heading toward the castle.

"Monsieur Riddle? Might I 'ave a moment?" Fleur gave him a pretty smile.

Tom looked puzzled but stopped. "Yes, Miss Delacour?" Whatever could she want?

"Well, this may seem quite forward … 'owever I am at a loss. There is this Yule Ball and I am required to attend, you see?" Fleur sighed breathily and attempted to look helpless. "I am not sure I should attend with any Durmstrang or Hogwarts students – I'm not sure any will even ask me …" Fleur smiled hesitantly. To her dismay he just looked uneasy and not eager to jump in and 'rescue' her from having to go stag. He couldn't be so dense as to not understand what she wanted? She leaned forward enough that he could smell her perfume – a very special scent. "I am hoping you will be my escort, Mr. Riddle?"

Tom had known this could be nothing good – if it wouldn't have set 'international cooperation' back centuries he'd have silenced her with a hex … but it was all too late. She had made her request and whether he said yes or no he was in very deep trouble … as Dora angry eyes and violently scarlet hair told him – Dora was standing only four feet behind Fleur and had heard every word.

As usual the wandless and nonverbal Avada Kedavra he tried to cast on himself at times like these didn't work.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z