Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 14

Albus stumbled out of the floo and up a staircase to his blessedly darkened bedroom. He grabbed another headache potion and chugged it down and dropped into the bed. The tight band of pain and around his temples finally loosened enough that he could think. He groaned in relief, he had had more headaches since that alarm for Privet Drive had gone off than he could ever remember. He didn't do well with guilt and uncertainty pressing on him.

Having Petunia's letter and that seemingly endless list of injuries handed to him by an angry Severus had made his head scream with pain once again. Thankfully Severus had an immediate solution to the problem. He was apparently willing to look after the boy and his cousin, for now. It would only be temporary, of course, most likely just for the summer. Severus would not want the son of James Potter in his care for long. It was good, none the less, that Severus was willing to take his vow to protect Lily's son seriously, he mused.

He sighed, he hadn't liked Severus' anger, but he could understand it. Severus would eventually understand that Albus had to look at the big picture. Let Severus do his search for an answer to the partial Horcrux that Harry carried in the scar - he was unlikely to find anything, and it would keep him busy for the summer.

Once school resumed the boys could go to a family of Albus' choosing - most likely the Weasleys. The cousin would need to live there for the warding, of course. Molly was down to just two children at home during the school year, she would likely welcome the new additions. If he added the stipend on a monthly basis they would likely be even more welcome.

He would need to remove the binding on the cousin; the Weasleys would never understand the need for that. The cousin would need his magic back, if he was to live in the magical world with Harry Potter.

Yes, he told himself, Severus was prone to his snits but he always came around after his temper cooled. Let him have the boy in his care for a time to sooth his conscience, he would soon tire of it. He certainly didn't show much patience to his potions students. Severus would be begging him to have Harry and the cousin sent to the Weasley's by the end of summer.

Albus slipped into a nightshirt, although it was early, he was so exhausted. He took a calming draught, and the remainder of his anxiety and guilt abut Harry's circumstances faded into sleep.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lucius had barely cleared the floo when Narcissa accosted him, eyes flashing with temper. "You canceled my donations, and have restricted my access to the vaults!" Her eyes narrowed, dangerously. "How dare you?" She hissed.

"There won't be anymore donations to death eaters, Narcissa. I'm rather surprised you wish to further support those who want to enslave us further to a half blood pretender." Lucius gave her his best sneer, and watched her anger falter, briefly.

"They...they are keeping muggles and muggleborns in their place..." Narcissa answered desperately. "Are you now a blood traitor Lucius?" She snarled.

"If their cause is just, why do they have to skulk behind masks? I never understood that - other than the Dark Lords need for drama and posturing." Lucius sniffed. "if these people want to terrorize others, they can do it with their own galleons."

"I'll use money from my own vault, you can't stop that - it was my dowry." Narcissa spat.

Lucius almost grinned; he had been waiting for this for years. He allowed himself a small smug smile that caused Narcissa to falter. She recognized that look from numerous wizard duels she had watched Lucius fight in - it always preceded a final blow that he knew would end his opponent.

"You know, if you had ever once bothered to notice any of the papers you have signed over the years - you would realize that you no longer have rights to any of the Malfoy vaults. You, by the way, put half your dowry money into a vault for Draco - I'm sure he thanks you for it. You don't have any rights to that vault, either. Over the years most of the credit lines at jewelers, dressmakers, and any bank drafts while you traveled have been arranged to come straight from your own vault." Lucius smirked happily at her horrified face. "You are certainly welcome to whatever is left."

"Why are you doing this?" She whispered in disbelief. "Do you really want a daughter of the House of Black to divorce you? I will if you don't end this madness." He voice was rising with every syllable.

"Of course I want to be rid of you." He sneered into her shocked face. "At first it was merely that I didn't want to be tied to someone I had no say in picking out in the first place. Now it's because I intend to support Harry Potter in the coming war, and you will likely be in the way of that." Lucius added calmly.

Narcissa's usually aloof face was now almost purple in rage. "You are a blood traitor! I will divorce you, and you won't leave me penniless, either Lucius!"

"I am prepared to be generous, if you can keep this amiable in public and cooperate with me." Lucius said smoothly.

Narcissa's eyes narrowed in hate - oooh, she had wanted to be out of this marriage for a long time, but had been unwilling to give up the wealth...but now? She couldn't wait. "We and our lawyers will talk tomorrow." She hissed, and stalked away.

Lucius watched her with satisfaction and firecalled his chief lawyer to let him know that the first phase was done.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Severus arrived back at Dragonsrest - as the title of the house had named it - unimaginative, but easy to remember.

Harry was sitting in his room in a window seat with a large book with brilliant moving pictures of dragons. Dobby was eagerly chattering at him regarding the beasts. The silly elf cringed at the sight of him, and popped away.

"Dobby seems awful afraid of you, but Tinker isn't - he practically bosses you at times." Harry looked at him in puzzlement. He was increasingly fond of his guardian. He loved his room, all his own! Mr. Snape had promised it would be his for always. It was perfect here; lots of food, a bed, and he would be taught magic as well. It was brilliant.

Severus huffed a bit at the thought of anyone, let alone a house elf ‘bossing him'. Tinker did remind him of things - meals, appointments, potions that needed attention if he got caught up in research...okay - maybe Tinker did boss - a little.

"How are you settling in, Harry?" Severus asked. "Is there anything you need?"

Harry smiled hugely. "It's brilliant, Mr. Snape! I can see out my window to the dragon reserve and see the dragons. I think they have more than the Welsh Greens there!" Severus smiled at Harry's enthusiasm. He remembered when he had felt that way about the magical world - believing that it could solve all his problems, and that anything was possible.

"Yes, child, but why don't you call me Severus? When you start at Hogwarts, you will have to call me Sir, or Professor, but for now my given name is alright." Severus was rewarded with another blinding smile from Harry. He was surprised at how gratifying it was to have a child view you with such admiration.

Hmmm, his cheeky grin and spikey hair were definitely his fathers. But, Harry's eyes were Lily's - if he could see them past the thick glasses that also reminded him of James. He had heard James disdained the months -long potions regime necessary to correct vision, and of course you had to have your glasses adjusted every few days as well. He would have to see what the Healer thought when they saw him next week.

Harry pulled out a familiar looking book with a smile. "Aunt Petunia said you gave this to my mum." Harry said in inquiry.

Severus' breath caught in his chest. She had kept it. He had thought Lily had rid herself of all reminders of him, but here was the book that they had poured over for many an afternoon.

"It says it belonged to an Eileen Prince." Harry said, "Aunt Petunia said that was your mother."

"Yes, it was her book, when she was a student at Hogwarts." Severus answered softly. "I rescued it from the fireplace. My father was going to burn it. I gave it to Lily instead."

"Your father didn't like you being a wizard? Like Uncle Vernon didn't like Dudley and I being wizards?" Harry asked, just as Dudley wandered in. Dudley froze at that statement, but Severus waved him inside.

"Yes, my father disliked magic as much as Vernon Dursley, although for a different reason. My father was quite excited to find out magic was real, until he found out he couldn't boast about it to his mates, and realized he wouldn't get rich off it. He was too controlling to allow my mother to seek employment in the wizarding world, and she had no skills to earn anything in the muggle world." Severus finished bitterly.

Both boys nodded sagely. Dudley squirmed a bit, and finally asked. "Will I get my magic back, soon?"

Severus lifted an eyebrow; he had been thinking that over. He hated to bring Albus to their hideaway so soon, he'd rather have him ignorant of their whereabouts for a time. Albus likely thought they were still at Spinners End.

"Lucius and I will see about breaking that binding tomorrow, when Draco comes to visit." Severus smirked, "The sudden release of your magic is likely to make you euphoric for a time." At the boy's blank look, he explained. "You'll feel goofy most of the day." The pair giggled at that. "Off to bed with you now, do you require anything to help you sleep?" The pair shook their heads and settled in. They were both asleep quickly to Severus' surprise. He shook his head - aah, the resiliency of youth!