Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 16

Marge Dursley was not having a good day. She stared glumly at the cell door. That damn lawyer of hers had obviously become worthless. When the three squad cars had pulled her over less than two blocks from the station she had been infuriated - and rightly so she thought to herself. So, maybe she had gone a bit overboard by smacking a few of them around, but they were trying to arrest her for ‘driving under the influence'. She'd had a drink or two...or maybe a few - but she wasn't drunk!

They'd added a bunch of charges - assaulting officers, DUI, destruction of property (as if that fence she'd knocked down when pulling over had been worth anything), and as a final insult they charged her as a public nuisance. They had seemed especially gleeful about the last charge.

When her lawyer had shown up he had been unable to get any of the charges dropped - the judge that she had come before had not been a friend of hers, and shouting the names of her numerous friends at him had only led to an added charge of contempt of court. She sighed unhappily, she really needed a drink.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Yuan led the two wizards to the hot springs where Yao presided as the ‘Emperor of all the hot water'. There were several springs and small ponds for the dragons that either had occurred naturally or were created by the wizards. But this hot spring in a shallow cave was the only hot one, and Yao guarded it jealously.

Rigel had led them through the compound of buildings that made up the Reserve Center. There were several visitor apartments for paying guests and some homes nearby for the full time workers. There were several who saw the four walking across the area and they soon had a small entourage of workers following them.

Rigel had told his fellow dragon keepers of the boys and their mother who were fleeing; they were surprised to find that the boys were Harry Potter and his cousin. They were further intrigued to find that the boys were now wards of Severus Snape - several remembered him as their very strict potions instructor. Well, he obviously would have no difficulty keeping the lads in line.

Rigel whispered the tale of their escape from a gun - wielding Vernon, and Petunia's injury trying to shield the boys. They were all awestruck - muggle guns and the injuries they caused were whispered of in horror. Petunia would likely become a legend before they were done - getting shot defending Harry Potter! The convoluted tale of their journey was also told, and the boys were looked at in renewed respect. Journeys through the muggle world - unless you were muggleborn were confusing and sometimes downright terrifying.

Rigel made sure they realized that their presence on the Reserve was a secret for the boy's safety. They nodded, the Dragon Reserve people were used to closing ranks when needed. They were by nature used to keeping to themselves, and had no difficulty with the idea of keeping Harry Potter and his family a secret.

They reached the hot spring and one of the workers coaxed a preening Yao out to be admired with a few haunches of meat. The dragon posed and spouted a little fire to the boys admiring gaze. The elderly dragon liked attention, and always enjoyed a new audience. Yuan was his fourth rider - he had out-lived them all. But he knew that Yuan would be his last. He would live long enough to see this rider pass away, and then would follow him into the endless sleep of death.

Yao had come with his rider to this reserve at first reluctantly, but he would have been an old, low ranking dragon there on the Chinese reserve - one among many Fireballs. Here he was the only Fireball and greatly admired. Even the other dragons respected him, and allowed him his undisputed claim on the hot springs. So, he was quite content to live his remaining days here with Yuan.

Draco had produced a camera from somewhere, and soon had one of the dragon riders taking pictures of the three of them as near to Yao as they dared go. Yuan, Severus and Lucius found them there, still asking questions of the crowd. They managed to get the boys away by promising return visits.

Yuan watched the trio walk back to the house. He suspected he would encounter more than one adventure and surprise from that quarter. Ah, well, perhaps things had been too quiet around here.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The boys chattered non-stop on the walk back to the house, and Severus had to promise more books on dragons - especially Chinese Fireballs. Severus had thought his library to be adequate, but apparently he was woefully lacking in enough on dragons to satisfy Harry and Dudley. Draco also expressed dissatisfaction regarding the Malfoy Manors Library in regards to dragons.

Lucius and Severus promised a trip to a bookseller, soon. But the matter of Dudley's magic needed to be addressed first.

Harry and Draco were placed on the sofa and told to not move an inch, or suffer unspecified consequences. Dudley was in a chair in the middle of the room with Lucius and Severus flanking him. They cast several spells, determining just what binding was used, and just how strong it was. They sighed, it was definitely quite strong - it had been cast by Albus Dumbledore, after all. But, luckily, it had been cast when Dudley had been a toddler, and had thinned as the boy grew older. The spell was still effective, but its lessening would aid them in its undoing.

Severus and Lucius conferred and decided on a counter-spell. They both pointed their wands at a nervously sweating Dudley and cast.' Relegare Ligare!!' They shouted and cast hard enough to cause a yellowish sparkling spell trail that hit and engulfed Dudley. Dudley stiffened and started shaking; sweat pouring off him even more. It seemed to last forever, although it was less than two minutes. Then, Dudley seemed to sigh and relax. Severus and Lucius caught him under both arms and lowered him onto the other sofa.

Harry and Draco watched anxiously. Harry was afraid that Dudley might not be able to take such a stressful event. Draco watched, also concerned - Dudley had seemed an alright sort. He disliked the idea of Harry losing one of his remaining two family members. They watched, sweating a bit, themselves when to their astonishment Dudley started to giggle.

Dudley had never felt so light or happy - the spell had felt horrible, he could feel something grabbing onto him, refusing to let go, and finally being torn away - freeing a part of himself he had not really know was there. Now, he knew it was his magic - swirling through him a joyous dance of happiness at being free.

Dudley giggled some more. He knew if he wasn't so incoherent with joy he would be disturbed by all this giggling but at this moment he just didn't care.

Harry remembered that Severus had said Dudley would be ‘euphoric'. He started giggling himself. Draco looked horrified by his amusement until Harry explained.

"Oh", Draco said, understanding now. "I suppose having the magic released all of a sudden would make him...well...giddy."

Severus and Lucius waved Harry and Draco out of the sitting room. "Let him calm without an audience. He'll likely be a bit scatterbrained until tomorrow, but he will be calmer after an hour - in time for supper." Severus said. The boys nodded and ran up to Harry's room, so Draco could show him the wizard games.

Lucius and Severus went out to the walled garden, Severus having explained he wanted to cover part of it for the boys ‘home gym'. Severus had to explain exactly what that was to Lucius baffled amusement. When wizards wanted to exercise they usually played Quidditch or took up things like fencing or more ancient martial arts.

Tinker had gone back to Spinners End, and under cover of a disillusionment charm had demolished the duplex directly behind Severus' house and reduced the brick house to its component parts. He brought the bricks and wood that Severus had asked for and now Severus waved his wand, creating a brick floor and columns, topped by a timbered roof attached to the Manor. The other three sides were open to let in the breeze. He could ward the weather out during the winter.

Tinker was summoned and sent to Surrey for the gym, and it was set up quickly. Lucius and Severus looked it over - Lucius was still baffled, and decided to try it - he gave up quickly after almost garroting himself with a pulley. Severus solemnly promised to ‘have the children show him the ropes with it' - making Lucius snarl and flush a bit. Having the muggle machine best him hadn't been fun.

The supper was served with Dudley's favorites. The Malfoy's weren't sure what to make of the meatloaf and potatoes with a side of carrots. A still dizzily giddy Dudley poured a large dollop of ketchup over it, to their horror.

Tinker scuttled up between Severus and Lucius and hissed. "I has steak and mushrooms with asparagus ready if masters would prefer."

Lucius was so relieved he gave his first real compliment to an elf. "You are a lifesaver, Tinker. Please bring it in." Tinker scurried away happily while Severus laughed at Lucius.

The adults were soon eating happily on steak. Draco tried the meatloaf - mostly out of curiosity. The house-elves had managed to make it flavorful and he ate part of it before opting for the steak. Harry was still at the point of simply being happy at seeing regular meals and ate all of the meatloaf and then had steak as well. Dudley was still too euphoric to notice what was on other's plates.

A chocolate confection was served for dessert with candles on it. Dudley blew them out after saying. "My wish has already been granted, so I just hope Mum gets well." There were murmured agreements from everyone, and the cake was served. Dudley asked for a small piece. "I don't want to undo all my progress."

Lucius asked about the gym equipment as casually as he could, while still rubbing an aching neck. They soon moved out to the new patio. Harry and Dudley exclaimed in happiness at seeing the area that Severus had made. He was thanked with a hug from both of them, causing an uncertain smile. Children didn't hug him or say thank you to him often, except for Draco.

Dudley didn't feel he was safe trying to work with anything, at present. So Harry explained the various parts of the gym to the fascinated horror of the Malfoy's. Draco thought it might be interesting, so Harry lay on the bench and started showing them how the bar attached to the weights was to be pulled on (so as NOT to strangle oneself). The four stood around him as he pulled on the bar, groaning with the effort.

There was a startling shriek of fury from the doorway, but Severus and Lucius pulled their wands a bit late. Lucius was thrown halfway across the garden, and Severus was tossed into a wall.

"You will not harm Harry Potter!" Dobby shrieked. He tossed another hex at Lucius, who ducked this one.

Dudley yelped and ducked behind a column. Draco yelled angrily "Stop it Dobby - we aren't hurting anyone!"

"You are torturing him - I heard him in pain!" Dobby screamed. "You will not harm Harry Potter." He reached a hand toward Harry, who scrambled away toward Severus. The elf was obviously crazy.

Harry reached Severus, who was shaking his head and trying to stand. Draco was yelling at Dobby, who was pushing past him, still trying to reach Harry. Lucius stood, and recovered his dropped wand.

"Let Harry Potter go!" Dobby was running toward Severus, who pushed Harry behind him, and aimed his wand at the onrushing elf. A containment spell from Lucius caught Dobby before he reached them, enveloping him in a sparkling chain that prevented any magic from the elf.

A furious Lucius Malfoy, with hair in disarray rushed up in fury, only the presence of children preventing him from killing the elf then and there.

Dudley stumbled up closer and looked at the elf. "Whoa, he was really angry - what did he think we were doing to Harry?"

Draco reluctantly answered. "I suppose the gym looks a little like a torture device."

Dudley guffawed, "An hour or so on it can feel like torture."

Harry looked at his guardian in concern "Are you okay Severus. That was a hard hit to the wall."

"It was a good hit, but no real damage done, thank you, Harry." Severus was more concerned that the elf had gotten the drop on them, than anything. One simply doesn't expect an attack from an elf. "Well, Dobby, what is your reason for attacking us? Harry was not being harmed - the muggle contraption was an exercise machine." Severus snarled at the cringing elf.

"Harry Potter was not being harmed?" Dobby asked, looking toward Harry, who shook his head uncertainly. At this Dobby began some alarming wailing, and started beating his head on a stone column.

"Make him stop!" Dudley shouted. "Stop it." Dobby whimpered and looked at Dudley in confusion.

"What should we do with him?" Lucius asked. "I can further bind his magic, so he can only do chores, but he's becoming more...unstable." Lucius really wanted to just put his head on a wall the way the Blacks did - he'd always considered that disgusting, but now he saw the appeal - being attacked by one's own elf - of all things.

Severus considered the elf. "He thought he was protecting Harry." He said slowly, "Go ahead and bind the magic, we can loosen it when he sees that we are not any danger to him, and he starts to listen to reason. Tinker can oversee him." Lucius cast the binding with glee, and Dobby was turned over to an appalled Tinker.

"Well, dinner with you is never dull, Severus." Lucius said brightly.

Severus chuckled, "We aim to please, Lucius, wait until you see tomorrows floor show - we may invite the dragons."

"Well I have the dubious pleasure of meeting Narcissa at Gringotts first thing tomorrow. If Draco can spend the morning with you, I will return with a certain object for you perusal." Lucius said.

Severus sobered immediately. "A good idea, we shall see you tomorrow, then."

The Malfoys left with dignity partially restored.

Severus shooed Dudley to bed and asked Harry if he was well. "Yes, but why was the house-elf so protective - I've never met him, before."

Severus sighed and sat him down. "You know, now, that your parents died fighting the Dark Lord." Harry nodded. "Your mother was given the chance to step aside to save herself. Of course, like any mother worthy of the name, she stood firm and the Dark Lord killed her. But her sacrifice protected you and the Avada Kedavra rebounded and destroyed the Dark Lord, instead - and gave you that scar. That is why people will know you wherever you go - you are the only one to ever survive the killing curse, and the Dark Lord that they feared was gone at the same time. So you are seen as a hero."

"But it was really my mother that did it." Harry was confused.

"People prefer live heroes, Harry." Severus answered with a laugh. "Run along to bed, you can read a bit if you want."

Harry scampered off, and Severus went his own desk to dig through more old tomes on Horcruxes. He was sure there would be an escape for Harry.