Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 32

Tom and Harry stopped at the Owl Emporium after lunch. Rosemerta and Cho left for the Dragon Reserve, to leave Cho at the Directors home to sort through her new purchases, and make a list of any things she still needed. Rosemerta stopped at Dragonsrest to kiss Severus and give Petunia the books she had found and the robes, smiling happily at Petunia enthusiastic response. They chatted for a few minutes, but Petunia still tired easily. Rosemerta promised to visit soon, and left.

Tom was sorting through owl treats and perches, continuing his mental conversation with Yvane, when the elderly Auror came in the shop and walked over to fill a bag with treats. Tom struggled a bit with the part of himself that still insisted that apologies were a sign of weakness.

Tom cleared his throat and got the Auror's attention. "I would like to apologize for my behavior earlier; sir, I should not have allowed myself to respond to goading like that. I'm glad you were there to defuse the situation." Tom cringed, waiting for derisive laughter, or a sneering lecture on how an uncouth lout like him would never learn manners.

"I defused it, but - that's okay." Yvane snickered in the background. "And you are not uncouth or a lout."

The Auror chuckled and clapped Tom on the shoulder to his surprise. "Och, laddie, you're not the first to draw your wand first and think later. I can remember when I was rather famous for doin' tha meself." The Auror winked at Tom. "But you're right that respondin' to goadin' is not the best way to act - it gives your opponent the upper hand - to be able to manipulate you. Not to mention that underage magic will do nothing but acquire you a file in the Auror's office."

Tom nodded, but felt he should correct the man, "I live on a Dragon Reserve, and the International Federation of Wizards gave me a variance, since I'll be tutoring some children there, and getting ready to take my NEWTS, I hope."

The Auror lifted his eyebrows. He had been on the job for several decades, and he could feel the strength of the boys magic, why wasn't he at Hogwarts? "It's unusual to home-school in your NEWT year." He commented, hoping to get more from Tom.

The Auror was obviously fishing for more information, Tom thought. Severus had said that the fact they were on a Dragon Reserve was no longer a secret - only which Reserve it was still not known to many. The Prophet had said Harry and Dudley were being tutored, so that wasn't really secret either. Severus had said that the more people that knew Harry was happy and well treated where he was, the better. Albus would have difficulty saying later that Harry should be in someone else's custody if people - like this Auror, for instance, knew Harry was happy with Severus.

"I'm tutoring Harry Potter and two others, and I'll be studying as well - if I don't pick up enough to pass the tests, I'll perhaps attend Hogwarts next year and take the NEWTS." Tom said with a proud smile.

The Auror looked over at Harry, who was chatting with two other children and then turned back to dig for more information from Tom.

Harry had noticed a boy and girl with a nervous looking gentleman while Tom chatted up the Auror. Harry wandered over to the pair who were looking at the owls doubtfully. "Do you like tawny owls?" Harry asked gesturing at the birds the boy and girl were peering at. "I got a snowy owl for my birthday. She's really nice."

The boy looked uncertain, but the girl spoke up immediately. "Dad says he had a tawny owl, but I think the spotted owls are smarter. When I go to Hogwarts, next year I'm definitely getting one of those."

"Cool, I'm going to Hogwarts next year as well." Harry stuck his hand out. "My name is Harry Potter."

To Harry's surprise and appreciation the girls eyebrow lifted a bit, but there was no awe in her face. "Oh, my father has mentioned you a few times. A pleasure to meet you, I'm Mafalda Prewett and this is my brother, Martin. He's the one going to Hogwarts School this year."

Martin also shook Harry's hand, although he didn't have the same aplomb his sister had. He stared a bit at Harry's scar, but at least refrained from gushing thanks or looking awed. Harry, Martin and Mafalda were soon in a deep discussion on the merits of various breeds of owls, to the bemusement of the two children's father.

The peaceful discussions were interrupted by the arrival of an angry Bill Weasley. Charlie had firecalled his brother after fuming in his room for awhile. Bill had been incensed at Charlie's slightly edited account of the encounter. It was obvious to Bill that the Malfoy's and Snape had been turning Harry into a snob, like themselves. The description of the tutor had been alarming as well, obviously another Dark Wizard. If anyone was tutoring Harry it should be a Weasley, or at least someone whose family had been in the Order.

He had asked to leave work early and stormed down the street from Gringotts, and saw Harry in the window of the Owl Emporium looking at owls with some kids. He slammed into the shop and spotted Tom immediately. He'd seen the young wizard come into Gringotts with Lucius Malfoy and Severus Snape. The Goblins had been quite excited, and there were top secret negotiations between the three wizards and Gringotts. The snotty, pampered little brat had obviously been born into the lap of luxury.

Bill usually was able to overlook the unconscious slights that the wealthy kids he'd attended Hogwarts with inflicted on others dozens of times a day. Even the occasional insult - intended or unintended would have him simply laugh in their face, and return the insult without it ever ruffling him. It was the people that had that certain haughty look of entitlement that the ‘born rich' had that infuriated him without their ever speaking a word.

Bill stomped up to Tom, his eyes sparking in rage. "How dare you insult and point your wand at my brother? Who do you think you are?" All the wizards and witches in the shop turned to see what was happening.

Tom gritted his teeth, determined to stay calm in the face of the wizard's fury. The young wizard was obviously only just a couple years out of Hogwarts, himself. He had the familial looks of the Weasley's, but he couldn't remember the name of the oldest son that Harry and Dudley had mentioned.

"I only drew after your brother did, and any insults were simply being returned, after he threw them first." Tom pushed the answer past his clenched teeth, telling himself he didn't want to have the Auror see him come unhinged, yet again.

Harry hustled over to stand at Tom's side, Bill had seemed reasonably nice during their visit to the Burrow, but now he was sounding as snotty as Ron and Charlie. He hoped there was simply a mistake. Harry liked the twins, and if all their brothers were mad at Tom and him, they might be told to stop being friends.

Bill's face flushed, ready to start in on Harry's attitude toward Ron, and he drew breath to start yelling when the Auror intervened. "Hold on lad, I was there and so was the café owner. Everyone threw insults, and the other young wizard did draw his wand first. No curses or hexes were thrown, so there's no need to carry on further about this." The Auror drew back his slightly stooped shoulders and eyed Bill narrowly. "I expect you to drop this, now."

Bill glared at the old man furiously. "Don't they have an age restriction in the Auror ranks? Why haven't they retired you - ?" Bill abruptly cut off his sneering diatribe, feeling the sudden swirl of powerful magic emanating from the old man.

The formerly chummy and seemingly harmless Auror now had everyone in the shops total, and somewhat cowering, attention. "I was Head Auror for decades, young man. I'm a member of the Wizengamot, now. I am also an assistant to the Minister, overseeing Auror affairs - I am Auror Hugo Savage."

Bill paled, not sure how to undo this enormous faux pas. "I am terribly sorry, sir. I should have verified what happened before yelling at Mr. ... um." Bill looked at Tom a bit pleadingly.

"Tom." Tom bit off the word at Bill, too annoyed to feel sorry for him.

"Umm...Tom." Bill ended sheepishly. He was going to strangle Charlie for putting him in this position. He'd never met the highly esteemed old wizard, but everyone had heard of Auror Savage's exploits when he was younger, and he was a well-respected member of the Wizengamot and little happened in the Auror ranks that he was unaware of.

The swirling play of magic subsided, and the old wizard smiled a bit. "Well, now, believing ones brother is a number one way to get oneself into a pickle, isn't it?" He turned to include Tom in his smile. "No harm done. Hmm?" Tom managed a tight smile and a shake of his head. He was prepared to be generous in the face of Bill's obvious defeat.

Bill muttered a goodbye and fled. Harry sighed in relief and looked at Tom in concern. Hugo noted Harry's affection for Tom; apparently Tom was a good friend as well as tutor.

"Thank You, Auror Savage, for your help." Harry managed a rather grown up attitude.

"Yes, you have my thanks for a second rescue before things could get ugly." Tom said hastily, but in sincere tones.

"Well, now that's what I'm here for. Would you mind if I went with you to talk to your guardian, to make sure he knows exactly what happened?" Hugo did want to ensure the lads weren't punished for something not their fault, but he also wanted to see that Harry was indeed in good hands.

He knew from the Daily Prophet and the Minister himself that Severus Snape had Harry Potter's guardianship. Snape had the backing of Albus Dumbledore, himself, in spite of his having the Dark Mark. However the Prophet just wanted to sell papers, the Minister was politically motivated and Albus - who knew what motivated him?

Tom thought swiftly, Severus wanted support from those in the ministry to ensure his guardianship was unquestioned. This apparently high-ranking wizard seemed disposed to look on them favorably. He nodded, and hoped this cauldron of events he was mixing didn't blow up in his face. Yvane, at least felt this was a good idea.

"I sense nothing but goodwill from him, Tom." Yvane said.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Tom snapped back. He was far more wary of doing something without Severus' approval.

"True enough." Yvane answered agreeably.

The three went to the door. Martin had chosen an owl, and Mafalda had apparently talked her father into getting her an owl a year early. "Can I owl you, Harry?" She asked with a happy chirp.

"Sure, send it to me at ‘Dragonsrest'." Harry waved a goodbye at her.

The Auror flooed with them to Dragonsrest, and looked around the home with a smile - quite nice.

Severus came into the living room flipping though the pages of a new Potions newsletter. "Just in time, Harry - I've finished your eyesight correcting potion; we can start giving it to you in the morning..." Severus was abruptly aware of an Auror standing in the room with Tom and Harry.

Harry was unfazed by the Auror's presence, though. "It's done? Brilliant! How soon until I can get rid of the glasses?" Harry flung arms around Severus in an enthusiastic hug. Severus put a protective arm around Harry, pulling him close to his side and looked at the Auror suspiciously.

"Auror Savage? To what do I owe this pleasure?" Severus was running a bunch of escape scenarios through his head, though none seemed really viable.

"Not to worry, Professor Snape. Tom and Harry had a couple run-ins with some of Arthur Weasley's sons. Some bravado and muscle-flexing was all that happened, but I wanted to make sure that young Tom didn't get blamed for the whole of it." Hugo eyed Severus' tension with a shrewd eye. He hadn't meant to cause such anxiety. "I'm not here in any official capacity."

"Of course." Severus kept his eyes fixed on Auror Savage. He had heard enough about the man to not want to be on his bad side. Albus could undoubtedly beat him in a duel, but it wouldn't be an easy fight for even him. "Please have a seat and Tinker can bring some tea." Severus nodded to the hovering elf, who immediately left to fetch a tray of scones and Earl Grey.

Tom gave an accurate account of the events of the day (there was an Auror at hand who had witnessed everything, so it was no good trying to edit anything) - minus Yvane's intervention, with an occasional muttered agreement from Hugo. Tom finally came to a close and looked at Hugo.

"I must admit that I was a bit curious as to why such a powerful young wizard was playing tutor, when he still needs his NEWTS?" Hugo smiled blandly at Severus, and took a sip of tea.

Severus smiled back and decided to stick with the cover story they had all decided on. The story held as much truth as possible. "Tom grew up in an orphanage - his mother was a witch who died at his birth. When a elderly relative finally tracked him down they home schooled him, and unfortunately although the wizard was quite smart, he hadn't updated his knowledge or library very much from the 1940's, so Tom has some gaps in his education." Severus and Tom both grimaced in unfeigned irritation. "If we can't get him totally up to speed to take the NEWTS, he'll attend a seventh year at Hogwarts when Harry and Dudley go to their first year, next year."

Hugo nodded in understanding, and smiled, having watched Harry sitting next to his guardian companionably on the sofa and smiling happily at Tom while he munched on a scone. He read body language well enough to know the boy was happy as a clam at high tide, right where he was.

The Auror stood, brushing crumbs off his robes. "Well, I've occupied enough of your afternoon Professor Snape. I really should be going. I hope I didn't disturb the lady of the house?"

"Mrs. Dursley was just released from the hospital, or I would introduce you. Her son is at her bedside, he's quite happy that she's back. She is expected to make a full recovery, although I'm glad Tom will be here to oversee things until she is totally on her feet." Severus answered as casually as possible with a very shrewd Auror reading his every inflection.

Hugo nodded, "Placing yourself on a Dragon Reserve was quite inspired - we're in Wales?"

"I hope I can count on your discretion? I prefer that very few know where we are." Severus answered hardly.

"You may rely on it - no one will hear the location from me." Hugo answered sincerely. "I'm sure you realize that I simply wished to see that Harry was truly happy here." Severus nodded sharply at him, and Hugo just smiled cheerfully at him and flooed back to Diagonalley.

Severus stepped to the floo and changed the password immediately and turned to Tom. "That was quite a chance you took, Tom."

"Yvane thought it worth the risk, he seemed sincere and is highly ranked - people would listen to his opinion on whether Harry should stay with us, if you are challenged as a guardian." Tom answered earnestly.

Severus grimaced and nodded. "Yes, it turned out well, but I don't want to be surprised with Aurors in my living room on a daily basis." Harry giggled and Tom smirked in response.

Harry raced up to Petunia's room to tell the day's tale to Dudley. Severus turned to Tom.

"Did everything truly go so easily for you?" Severus asked Tom quietly.

Tom dropped his eyes. "In the encounter with Charlie, when I drew my wand I tried to send a rather hard Diffindo at him. Yvane stopped even my saying it, let alone sending it."

Severus relaxed a bit; Yvane still had total control of Tom's magic, then. That was good, considering Tom's apparent impulse control problem.

Tom continued a little less discouraged. "When Bill came around, I'd had time to think it over. It was tough to hold my temper, but I didn't even draw my wand on him."

Severus smiled at Tom a bit proudly, "Yes, well done. You've made great progress; I know Yvane is pleased as well." Tom grinned boyishly at the praise, making Severus realize that Tom had likely heard little praise during his life.

"You know, I have no hesitation to leave Harry, Dudley and Petunia in your hands. I know you'll take care of all of them while I'm not here." Severus said in total sincerity.

Tom's beaming pride at Severus expressing his trust was reward enough.

Chapter End Notes:
Mafalda Prewett is the 'Slytherin Weasley cousin' that got written out. I couldn't resist adding her.