Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 33

Bill trudged into the Ministry for Magic, and made his way to his father's office. He wasn't looking forward to this. Arthur waved him into his office with a smile, but he soon lost the smile as Bill started talking. Bill explained the firecall from Charlie, and his brothers deceptive editing of events, leading to Bill storming into the Owl Emporium and confronting ‘Tom', and luckily being interrupted before he lashed out at Harry for insulting Ron.

Arthur closed his eyes and groaned when Bill told him of Auror Hugo Savage's intervention. The man wasn't the ‘Head' or ‘Chief' of any Dept. but he oversaw much, and kept the Minister apprised of what happened in the Auror ranks, and as a member of the Wizengamot - he knew everything that happened. Having such a high ranking wizard thinking poorly of you was not good.

"I told him that I should have verified what Charlie had said, and apologized to both him and ... ‘Tom'. He seemed to accept that." Bill offered anxiously. At nineteen, a junior cursebreaker with much to learn at Gringotts, he couldn't afford to have Hugo Savage angry with him.

Arthur shook his head. "If Auror Savage intended to hold grudges or cause you difficulties you would already know it. He does tend to cut ‘youngsters' a fair amount of slack - as long as he doesn't see you again, causing the same trouble."

Arthur grimaced at Bill's anxious face. Weasley's did tend to have tempers, but they also had common sense. It was the Prewetts that tended to have the ‘hair triggers' and bull-headed stubbornness. He had never said it, but Percy was actually more of a Weasley that any of his siblings. Molly's genes seemed to be predominant in the rest of the children. But, perhaps they could learn. "I suggest leaving this ‘Tom' strictly alone and Harry Potter as well. Harry is friends with the twins, and if he and Ron don't get on - well, you can't force children to be friends, after all."

Bill nodded miserably. "I can't undo the scene I made. Harry must think I'm a raving madman, after ripping into his friend like that."

Arthur sighed, "Well, I'll speak to Hugo a bit, let him know you regret the incident. You might consider a well phrased apology to Harry, but only if you send one to Tom as well." Bill looked at his father in horror. "Bill, Harry will notice if he receives an apology, but the injured party - Tom - does not. From what you said, he considers Tom a friend as well his tutor. He won't accept an apology that doesn't include Tom."

Bill let his head drop into his hands. The last thing he wished to do was to apologize to that snotty rich pureblood.

"What bothers you about that, Bill? You said you were in the wrong. How will a letter be such a difficult thing?" Arthur eyed his son intently. Bill was usually a bit more level-headed, even if he was obstinate.

"He's so...so...arrogant. He has that look of ‘I'm rich, so I'm entitled'. I'm sure he'll never have to work a day in his life." Bill answered resentfully.

"Bill, you don't usually care about someone's bank account." Arthur was truly surprised at this answer.

"I don't, usually. It's just one, every now and then has that superior look that rubs me the wrong way." Bill said plaintively. "You know the look - Malfoy has it, too."

Arthur smiled ruefully, yes he knew that look. "I've learned, over the years that that look is one of their weapons. You play into their hands when you respond to it with anger. You'll find that your temper will be one of your worst enemies, but if you learn to control it - then you can use it to your advantage. In the meantime, I suggest you find a way to write that apology - it will be good practice."

Bill sighed and nodded. He stood, and Arthur hugged him. Bill might have been considered an adult for two years, but today he had started to grow up, Arthur thought.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ragnor Mulciber watched the house intently. He'd heard rumors that Severus Snape had become the guardian of Harry Potter and had scoffed in amusement. He recalled the skinny runt of a Slytherin as a first year, while he had been a seventh year. He'd not have noticed him, if Lucius had not befriended him.

Ragnor's father had been one of the Dark Lords first recruits, and was still in Azkaban. He had visited his father a few times, to let him know how things were going for the Death Eaters. Most have those who had been caught, but were not in Azkaban had pleaded innocent, and that they were ‘under the Imperious curse' to Ragnor's disgust. Even the lofty Lucius Malfoy had gone that route.

To their surprise, Severus Snape had been vouched for by Albus Dumbledore as a spy. They had collectively tipped their hats to the Slytherin's apparent cleverness, as all the Death Eaters ‘knew' he was a spy for Voldemort on Dumbledore.

Now, with his move to become Harry Potter's guardian, the still free group of Death Eaters weren't so sure. Was it just a clever ruse? Lucius Malfoy seemed to be in on it, too, which confused them. Ragnor was determined to find out what was up.

The location of Severus Snape's home was not a secret - it's just that no one had even bothered to find out what it was, before. He'd had to visit a lot of old friends, and had finally gotten the address to ‘Spinners End'. He'd slunk through the muggle village of Hale after dark, and found the street ‘Spinners End'. There was a short line of small houses, followed by a lengthy walled garden surrounding a new looking very large house.

His friends had described a hovel, but this was rather nice - three stories and a very nice garden and yard. Snape must have decided to upgrade his living to adequately house ‘the Boy Who Lived'. The layers of warding told him he must have the right place. Rumor had it Snape was on a Dragon Reserve, but that made no sense - no, he had to be here in Spinners End.

Ragnor worked through the heavy wards and cast an Alohamora to enter the house. He was surprised that such a low level opening charm had worked, but there was apparently no one home, anyway. Perhaps they were visiting the Malfoy's, he snorted to himself. He took a few steps into the entryway and was hit by a petrificus and several incarcerous curses. He tried to dodge, but they seemed to be coming from everywhere. He hit the floor bound by several enchanted chains and immobilized.

He hoped his jailers wouldn't be long in coming to fetch him.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Dudley and Petunia had dinner together in Petunia's room, and Harry joined them, as Harry was still describing the ‘nice Auror' and his visit. Dudley was disappointed to have missed it, but Severus had not wanted to ‘muddy the water' by adding any more people to the tea they had endured with Auror Savage, especially since they would have no way to warn Dudley away from any topics before meeting the Auror.

Severus and Tom had a quiet meal together. Severus mulled over how to approach the Weasleys about the expected visit of the twins. Tom grimaced, although Harry had read the letters from the twins to everyone, and they seemed to be friendlier and more open-minded than the Weasleys Tom had met. Severus thought quickly about Percy. He was the most endurable of the Weasleys he had taught, so far at Hogwarts. Percy reminded him a bit of Arthur, who was one of the few Order members he could talk to for more that two minutes without snarling at. Harry had said that Percy had been polite, and had tried to rein Ron's snide remarks.

Severus eyed Tom and made a suggestion. "Would you mind if I invite Percy along - you might find him more friendly that they others, and he would help keep the lads in line." Tom shrugged and nodded, holding little hope for liking any Weasley male.

Tom stretched and yawned, then said he would walk around a bit, before looking over his new books. He was quite enthused with the book on women's magic in spite of the snide remarks and giggling he'd endured from Charlie and the bookstore assistant. He hoped to find mention of the magic used on the dagger, and ways around it.

Severus made his was to the floo he had carefully re-warded to ensure no uninvited visits by Aurors, pocketing a portkey that Lucius had spelled for him yesterday. He knelt and threw the floo powder into the banked fire, calling for the Weasley residence. Luck was with him and Arthur answered, and invited him to come through.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Arthur had left work a little early, and arrived home for supper to find a righteously indigent Molly hovering over a smug Charlie and Ron. The twins were looking downcast and rebellious, and Ginny looked confused. Percy looked resigned and unhappy.

Arthur sat and they all started speaking at once, making it impossible to hear anything except an occasional ‘snobbish prat' and ‘snooty prince' from one side of the table, and ‘is not' and ‘you probably insulted them' from the other side.

Arthur rarely put his foot down, but when he did he usually was listened to. He smacked his hand down hard on the table, bringing conversation to a halt. "Enough!" He shouted sternly, making all their eyes widen.

He looked at Charlie and Ron sternly. "Your brother Bill came to see me this afternoon. You firecalled him, Charlie, and he went to confront Tom." Charlie looked delighted, although his smile dimmed at his father's obvious ire. "Unfortunately the Auror who witness your confrontation at the cafe was at the Owl Emporium when Bill arrived." Charlie started to look alarmed, causing Molly's eyes to narrow suspiciously. "The account you gave Bill apparently didn't quite match what the Auror saw and Bill managed to embarrass himself quite thoroughly in front of Auror Hugo Savage."

Charlie made a strangled noise, and Percy gave him a look of vindication. The twins were smirking at a flushed with temper Ron.

"Luckily no hexes were thrown, or Hugo might have arrested him instead of simply telling him not to believe his brother without verification, in the future. Bill was especially lucky he didn't tear into Harry in front of Hugo." Arthur glared at Charlie harshly, and Molly was gritting her teeth. Bill's job as a cursebreaker - even a junior one - was a point of pride for them, and Charlie had endangered that. Such an incident in front of an Auror of Savages distinction could cause him to be demoted or fired.

Charlie was looking a bit green, and Ron was gulping anxiously - mostly at his mother's sudden hostility.

"Ron, you may go to your room, now. We'll discuss your punishment tomorrow, along with why you insist on insulting and provoking Harry Potter every time you meet." Arthur watched Ron drag upstairs, after snagging some bread and cheese from the table before leaving.

Arthur turned to Charlie. "You however are seventeen, this is your NEWTS year and I expected much better from you. Your actions in confronting Tom as you did could have been excused as simply hot-tempered and ill-advised even if you were the one to draw first. Most young wizards do that at least once, with no harm done. But in telling Bill the deceitful tale you did, you almost cost him his job - if he had hexed Tom - who is an underage wizard, or threatened Harry in any way you could have ruined his chances with Gringotts."

Charlie was crying silently by now, he hadn't meant for this to happen. He hadn't really thought beyond venting his story to Bill. "I'm sorry dad, mum. I never meant to hurt Bill."

"I suggest you also retire for the night. We will discuss what happens in the morning." Arthur wasn't willing to relent until he was sure Charlie had learned his lesson. He watched as Charlie stumbled to the stairs, not even bothering to grab some food to take with him.

Arthur turned to Molly and gave a brief overview of what Bill had told him, making Molly gasp in horror. She might have little to do with the Ministry, but she knew Auror Savage's standing in the wizarding world. The other Weasley's ate slowly and silently while they listened intently. The twins hoped it meant that their trip in the morning wasn't canceled. Professor Snape was supposed to send a portkey, but it hadn't arrived yet. They hoped their brothers hadn't annoyed the man into changing his mind.

Ginny helped her mom clear up the kitchen and Percy and the twins retired to the family room to review the book Harry had sent about dragons. Rumor had it in the ministry that Severus Snape had Harry on a Dragon Reserve. This book made it seem the rumor was correct. Percy suspected the rumor was true, a home on a Reserve would be quite secure, although his mother was horrified at the very thought.

There was a firecall that Arthur answered and suddenly Professor Snape was in the family room, having a seat in a chair next to Arthur. The twins looked up hopefully, and Molly stood in the doorway looking a bit torn. She'd been angry for hours over the apparent slights to her children, and then found out it was mostly built on a devious story. She hated being wrong-footed like that. At least she hadn't had a chance to send a howler.

"I understand there was a lot of ‘bravado and muscle-flexing' between Tom and some of your sons today - at least that was how Auror Hugo Savage described it when he escorted Tom and Harry home." Severus smiled at Arthur's surprise. "He said he just wanted me to have an accurate account of the day, but I suspect he wanted to have a peek at Harry's residence."

"Aah, Hugo does like to have a good grasp of situations." Arthur answered a bit cryptically.

"Well, Harry is quite anxious to have Fred and George visit tomorrow. I did want to emphasize that as Petunia Dursley was just released from the hospital there must be quiet in the house. There is a large garden to roughhouse in, and a pool to swim in and they can be as noisey as they like, there. I expect the boys will be happy to show you around the compound. We are, as it is rumored, on a dragon reserve, but I assure you they will be safe. Tom has an especially good rapport with the dragons." Severus smiled a bit mysteriously at that.

"Excellent!" Fred and George said simultaneously. Dragons! Charlie would be green with jealousy.

"I was hoping that Percy would accompany the two of you - Tom would likely welcome the extra pair of eyes on them." Severus smirked a bit at Percy's look of hopefulness.

Arthur also caught that and smiled. It wasn't often that Percy got a treat like this. "Of course he may go - if he wishes."

Percy nodded eagerly, "I would love to, Professor."

Severus stood and drew the portkey out, "This will take all three of them to Dragonsrest front door. We'll expect them at, say nine o'clock?"

The twins and Percy went back to buzzing over the dragon book, and Molly and Ginny went back to discussing the next day's menu. Severus and Arthur went to the floo. Arthur looked at Severus assessingly, unwilling to stir up any further problems.

"I do apologize for my sons ... reaction to Tom. They have tempers, although this should be an excellent wake up call for them to learn to rein themselves in." Arthur cleared his throat, "They said that Tom has a certain air - a bit ...um, haughty?"

Severus chuckled to Arthur's relief. Severus decided to keep with the tale they'd told the Auror that had as much truth as they dared in it. "Tom has, unfortunately, created a bit of a front - we are trying to correct that. He grew up in a muggle orphanage until he was eleven. He tends to overcompensate for that, even though he now has some money of his own."

Arthur perked up at that, Bill would be getting an owl from him about making assumptions about a person. "Well, I'm sure he'll do fine." They shook hands and Severus flooed home.

The next day should be interesting.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Severus had barely made it back to Dragonsrest when Tom came out of the library, looking aggravated.

"There's an alarm going off - started a few minutes ago." Tom held up a pyramid that was flashing orange. He looked at Severus' gleeful face uncertainly.

"Someone has broken into Spinners End." Severus said happily, and ran for the floo. He firecalled Lucius and they both arrived at Severus booby-trapped old home. Lucius glanced at the chained up and petrified wizard and sniffed in disdain, and then went to the floo to call for Aurors.

"Well, well, well. Ragnor, how very stupid of you to break into my house." Severus sneered at the infuriated Death Eater.

Upon being informed that the ‘home of the Boy Who Lived' had been invaded by a Death Eater, no less than five Aurors tumbled out of the floo. Severus explained that they had been ‘vacationing elsewhere' for the summer and he had warded and trapped his house while they were away. The warding had informed him security had been breached and he had found Ragnor Mulciber in one of the traps.

The Aurors found the Dark Mark and eagerly took Ragnor into custody. Severus and Lucius happily waved them off, and reset the traps, hoping to catch even more. Lucius and he snickered over their success and made fun of the entire Mulciber family for a bit.

Lucius told Severus of his possible success with Andromeda, and the Quidditch match. Severus smiled at Lucius' discomfort at having spent an afternoon ‘just having fun with Draco', Lucius would eventually realize that having fun was acceptable. Severus informed Lucius of Tom's Diagonalley adventure and the visit from the Auror. Lucius sneered a bit about the Weasleys and looked impressed at Tom's audacity in trying to recruit Auror Savage to their cause.

Lucius promised to have Draco at Dragonsrest after breakfast and then they both apparated to their respective homes.

The next day's Daily Prophet blared the news that Ministry Aurors had apprehended a Death Eater who had broken into Harry Potters home. Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge had been alerted by Lucius ahead of time and confidently informed the reporters that Harry was safely elsewhere at the time, and in no danger. The reporters were none the less gleeful to have such spectacular headlines.