Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Halloween Bonfire

Tom arrived at Dragonsrest to find his Healer -Randall - from Diagon Alley awaiting him - with a sheaf of papers from St. Mungo's in his hand. The Healer gave him a raised eyebrow and eyed him critically, Tom was looking rather strained and pale again.

"Definitely not activities I would have prescribed to promote healing from an exhaustive state, Mr. Riddle." But he smiled a bit as he said it. It would be difficult to scold Tom for saving his young charges life.

Tom was hustled to his room so the Healer could do his own diagnostics. Tom was a little more comfortable with the already familiar Healer. He was told to go back to taking it very easy. The punctured lung would need more healing, and the Healer would be seeing him daily until it was done. He seemed a bit amazed at the lengthy list of injuries Tom had sustained

"Don't really see how you managed to survive." Randall muttered, doing one more scan. "You're rather lucky."

"He's a fairly sensitive Healer; if he were as strong in reading auras as Severus he could probably sense me. As it is he can tell something is different - he just doesn't know what." Yvane said calmly.

Randall finally ended his scans and watched Tom down a dreamless sleep - Tom wasn't going to go wandering today, at least. Randall gave his report to Severus and promised to return the following day. He did have one recommendation for Harry though.

"You need to have someone talk to him - not necessarily a Mindhealer unless you see problems, but he saw a horrific accident happen to his friend with injuries that were enough to induce nightmares in an adult - and added to that this happened to Tom while saving his life. You need to make sure he is not going to suffer any aftereffects." Randall looked at Severus' suddenly introspective face and nodded - Harry's guardian merely needed pointing in the right direction and he would see to things, Randall knew, and he flooed back to his office.

Severus wandered back to the living room, where Lucius and Draco waited to give Severus, Harry and Dudley a very belated report on the ‘party' they had attended. It was important the boys hear about this, as they would be attending school with many of these children. Lucius listed the people who were there at the party. There had been many there who had simply come to find out if his sudden support of Harry Potter and his guardian was a ruse, or real.

There had been a mixed reception to his adamant statement that continuing to await the Dark Lord's return was idiotic and rejoining him if he did return would be moronically suicidal. He had not come out with the proof of Voldemort's lineage - if he was approached by anyone, later he would. Trying to tell all of that at this party would start a riot. He simply stated that he felt the move to support Harry Potter was the most strategic and he would stick to it no matter what happened.

Some of the deepest Death Eater members had looked betrayed and angry, Lucius had always seemed very sure of his allegiance to the Dark Lord. Some of those that had been less eager in the Dark Lord's service were speculative - Malfoy usually did not back losers, and even when Voldemort had been defeated he had emerged from the losing side with only a slap on the wrist. His advice was not to be lightly dismissed.

There had been a few who were distant supporters of Death Eater activities. They sympathized with pureblood ideals and were terrified of the sheer numbers of muggles and simply didn't know what to do about it. They didn't believe Albus Dumbledore's soothing words that there was nothing to fear - they remembered the reports from Japanese wizards that had described the devastation from the ‘bombs'. They had looked hopefully at Lucius - perhaps this meant there was another way to beat back the hordes of muggles and their encroaching destruction and pollution.

Draco had looked discouraged. He had argued hard for the children to accept that his new best friends were a muggleborn and a half-blood, but many of them only knew how to parrot their parent's words. If Draco was friends with Dudley - a muggleborn, he was a blood traitor. If he was following Harry Potter, he was betraying the Dark Lord.

There had been a few bright spots. Theodore Nott had quietly whispered for Draco to owl him, and the youngest Flint son, who was younger that Draco had been listening carefully and not saying a word.

Goyle had look confused and saddened, while Crabbe had looked hatefully stubborn - they were now flanking a triumphant Blaise Zambini who had proudly led his new followers away from the now less dominant Draco. Draco looked at Lucius dismally; he had hoped to be able to say he had made more headway than this.

Lucius shook his head. "They won't change until their parents decide to turn away from the Dark Lord; there will be few who defy their parents, certainly not the youngsters who have not even attended Hogwarts as yet. The parents that looked like they were listening will probably speak to them, and their children will be singing a different tune when they reach Hogwarts."

Draco looked relieved. He hoped at least a few of his old friends would still be at his side when their first year arrived.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Draco and Lucius left and Petunia and Dudley went to check on Wylda's eggs. Severus took that opportunity to lead Harry down to the now spotless laboratory. Harry looked around in trepidation.

"Hard to believe that something terrifying happened here, isn't it?" Severus offered.

Harry looked at him and nodded. "It seems like a horrid dream, now. It was so awful, all that glass and metal sticking out of him...and he couldn't breathe right..." Harry stopped abruptly, looking away.

Severus sat on the sofa and patted the seat next to him, and Harry sat with some reluctance. Severus shifted uncomfortably; he wasn't sure where to start the discussion. Emotions weren't his forte.

"You do know that this wasn't your fault, don't you?" Severus asked quietly, and watched as Harry shrugged uncertainly.

"Bad things that happen are usually my fault, or at least I get the blame." Harry muttered, and his eyes flickered up to the steps, to check that his aunt and cousin weren't there. He felt even more guilt for bringing up the past.

"You realize that you're no long going to be bearing the brunt of blame for every little mishap." Severus watched while Harry nodded. "It will take time for you to really feel that, even if your aunt and cousin now treat you well. The lessons you have learned over the last years won't be unlearned right away." Severus sighed. "In the meantime you need to understand that this accident was not your fault and no one blames you for it."

Harry nodded slowly. He knew in his head that he wasn't to blame, but the feeling of dread that he had always felt when something bad happened and he knew he would be punished - guilty or not had still been there. Most of that had left, for the present, and his heart had lightened.

Severus gave him a one-armed hug as they returned to the upper floor, so Severus could floo back to Hogwarts. Severus had one more question for Harry that had been bothering him for a few days.

"Tomorrow is Halloween, will you be alright? I know that the Dragon riders and keepers are planning a big party - and all of you are invited." Halloween had always been difficult for Severus, remembering Lily's betrayal - not only by his own inadvertent transmittal of information, but by Black's willful act in telling Voldemort the family's location.

Harry brightened, "Yes, it sounds like great fun." Harry looked at Severus in bewilderment. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Well, your parents were killed on that night, so it might be a problem, although I realize you don't actually remember it." Severus said slowly. He hated reopening old wounds.

"Oh, I didn't know that's when it happened." Harry looked appalled. "I really shouldn't go to the party then." Harry felt ill that he'd been planning to go ... how could he not know when his parents had died?

Severus placed a hand on his shoulder, getting his attention. "No, Harry, they would not want you to mourn them in that way. James loved Halloween - he always played tons of pranks on everyone he could about now. Lily loved the dressing up and adored parties of any sort. They would hate for you to miss out on Halloween out of a misplaced sense of propriety - go have fun, and think of them enjoying it along with you from wherever they are."

Harry looked at him hopefully. "Are you sure?"

Severus managed a smile and nodded. "Very sure." He was rewarded with a brilliant grin from Harry as his flooed back to his quarters in Slytherin.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Neville walked down an empty corridor of the second floor bedrooms, his head ringing from the swat Grandma Augusta had given him and burning with fury at the malicious glance Uncle Algie had sent him.

Grandmother had produced his father's wand and he'd held it a few minutes, but no sparks had emerged, just as Neville had expected to have happen. Uncle Algie had sighed dramatically and said that Neville might as well be a squib from the little magic he'd shown. Grandma had looked disappointed.

He'd tried to reason with her, telling her what he'd read in the books. She'd become enraged, hitting at him and asking if he thought himself too good for his father's wand. Shrieking that his parents had been famous Auror's and he should be proud to carry his father's wand.

He had fled to this corridor; it was full of empty bedrooms that had belonged to family members that were now long gone. He had been too upset to go to his alcove, if he smashed something he didn't want it to be in the alcove - one of the house elves would respond and likely tell Grandmother.

He paused at one door - he'd never gone in this one, it had belonged to his Grandmother's mother-in-law. He knew grandma had hated her. Good, she'd never look for him in here. He closed the door carefully and looked around the room. The house-elves still kept the place nice, but it had that ‘not lived in look'. He saw a bookcase and wandered over. Most books went to the family library after someone died. He wondered why these hadn't.

Neville's hand trailed over the spines and a title caught his eye. "Hexing relatives for fun and profit?" He read with a laugh. He would love to hex Uncle Algie - and it wouldn't even have to be profitable.

"You like that one do you? I'm afraid their really aren't any truly dark hexes in that one. Mostly pranks - though a few of them are quite annoying. Someone might pay you to remove it, hence the part ‘for profit'." A portrait of a rather haughty lady said.

"Oh, I'd like to hex my Uncle Algie good, but he's managed to get me stuck with a wand that doesn't suit me. I'm not likely to be able to do more that cast a Lumos - if I'm lucky." Neville answered morosely.

"Well, have your parents get you another - your uncle shouldn't have a say." She answered.

"Grandma Augusta thinks I should use my father's wand - even if it doesn't suit me." Neville muttered.

"Augusta, that stupid cow." The portrait said irately. "I tried to talk Frances out of marrying her, but he was infatuated. You must be Frank's boy, Neville, isn't that your name? I'm afraid I died soon after your birth." At his nod she smiled. "I'm your great-grandmother - Callidora Black Longbottom. Now - about that wand of yours..."

Neville was soon rummaging in the attic for the wand box and dragging down to her rooms. Going through each wand was tiring, as she insisted he try each, even if he didn't get any sparks. He was able to cast with a few. One had seemed to listen to him, if a bit grudgingly.

Callidora asked questions and Neville told her the whole story of Frank and Alice's torture and still being in St. Mungo's and living with Grandma Augusta and Uncle Algie living here ‘most of the time, as well'.

Then his hand touched a wand and all his hair stood on end. He lifted it out as he was engulfed with sparks and felt his magic light up. The feeling of really knowing his magic was there was intoxicating. Part of him had doubted the magic was really there, after listening to his uncle for so long.

"Ah, an excellent match." Callidora said with a smile. "Mahogany with a core of grim hair - it belonged to my father - Arcturus Black. He was a very talented wizard - a Master in the art of astronomy. Now, the wand that belonged to your father- it is a dark color as well, isn't it?"

Neville pulled it out and compared it to the mahogany wand. They looked alike enough to pass muster if one did not look too closely.

"Good, carry your father's wand until school, and then trade - put whatever wand you're not using in your trunk. You aren't allowed to use magic away from school anyway, so carrying your father's wand when you are here at home won't really matter." Callidora and Neville shared a conspiratorial smile. "And once you are of age - no one but you has any say in the wand you carry."

Neville breathed a sigh of relief, the question of his wand was answered, and he had had an enjoyable conversation with an adult for the first time in memory. He could vaguely remember cozy teas with his grandmother, before concern over his apparent lack of magic overshadowed everything else. He rarely saw other children. Great Aunt Enid used to bring her grandchildren to visit at times, but after Uncle Algie had pushed him off the Blackpool pier on a family outing there had been a shouting match and they had never returned.

There were occasional visits from distant family or friends who brought children, but Uncle Algie always seemed to be there, and he always introduced him with an apologetic grimace and a whispered ‘Neville's likely the next family squib'.

Neville gave a slow smile and picked up the hexing book. Callidora grinned along with him. "Let me know if you need any pointers, dear."

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Dragons didn't really understand the significance of Halloween - they had different views on death and no dragon ever returned as a ghost as they had no fear of what awaited them. Yvane's lingering to help Tom was unheard of, but it was not done out of fear of death.

None the less, the dragons were not adverse to celebrations and could indulge their riders and keepers in their rituals regarding death and spirits. They always had a jolly party and dance, and since the Reserve had people from all over the world, they took this as an opportunity to introduce their friends to some of their own cuisine. Some dishes were more of a success than others.

There were usually some International Federation of Wizards staff invited from Lyonesse, and as a courtesy, there were usually a few Ministry people, as well. This year Amos Diggory, of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures was in attendance with Walden McNair as his ‘aide'. Amos' usual aid had had a sudden injury just that morning and Walden had insisted on filling in, saying he ‘greatly admired dragons and would like a peek at them'.

The party was underway by dusk, and Lucius had hovered an embarrassed Tom in a chair across the meadow, letting him walk from the outskirts of the compound to spare his pride as much as possible. Yuan had arranged a comfortable seat near his own for Tom. Yao had deserted his hot pool to come watch the bonfire and feast, along with quite a few other dragons, who were gathered within sight of the bonfire and feast.

There were several musicians who would sing and there of course would be dancing. Later, there would be storytelling. Many of the riders would tell tales that the dragons had imparted to them. The dragons, of course were looking forward to that.

Amos made the rounds, shaking hands and had smiled brightly at being introduced by Yuan to Petunia, Dudley, Harry and Tom. Amos knew Lucius, at least by sight and was introduced to Draco as well. Amos found the whole business of Lucius suddenly supporting Harry Potter suspicious, but the Minister had always favored Lucius Malfoy. And now Albus Dumbledore was vouching for him, when asked privately about him, and even Auror Hugo Savage was behind Lucius. So he shook Lucius' hand and hoped it was real.

McNair hung back in the crowds, avoiding his old friend, Lucius. He had been warned that leaving the compound would set off alarms - Yuan didn't want any inebriated partygoers to wander off ‘to see the dragons'. He had hoped to find ways into the Reserve - an unlocked floo, or a hole in the warding. There had to be a way in, so he could kidnap or kill that blasted Harry Potter. He sneered; he would settle for killing Lucius and Severus, of course - the bloody traitors. When he'd heard what Lucius had to say at the Parkinson's party, he'd been infuriated. He'd quickly arranged for Diggory's aide to have a little 'accident' and invited himself along to the party.

He wandered around the party, grabbing some food and drinks so as to appear to be enjoying the party instead of stalking prey, and came across Harry, Draco and Dudley talking to Tom. He recognized Draco, of course and then took note of Harry's scar - so the other youngster must be the cousin. He looked Tom over, feeling he should know him from somewhere - he had seen the pictures of him in the Daily Prophet, but seeing him here he could tell - he looked like someone.

McNair shook it off - Tom was probably some school chums brat. The paper had said he was from the Prince family. He watched the kids from nearby. If only one wandered off - he might be able to snatch them tonight. The floo that the ministry people that were visiting were to use just for tonight was nearby in the Director's office.

The storytelling was underway and to his excitement Harry went to a nearby table to grab another sandwich and McNair made his move. He sidled up to Harry and attempted to look harmless and confused.

"Excuse me, young man; do you know where the Director's office is? I'm supposed to floo from there, and I'm quite lost." McNair smiled - giving Harry a good view of his total lack of dental hygiene.

Harry nodded uncertainly. "Sure I can point it out for you." - And led McNair toward the building. McNair beamed happily, this was going quite well. Harry opened the door and was turning to point out where the floo was when McNair shoved him through the door, drew his wand and cast a Petrificus on Harry.

Unfortunately for him, Lucius had finally caught sight of McNair as he was leaving with Harry and had grabbed the two Dragonriders he was talking to back him up. Lucius and the two Dragonriders were soon directly behind McNair and Lucius yelled "Halt, McNair!" And cast an Incarcerous at the would-be kidnapper. McNair leap aside - away from Harry, giving the two Dragonriders the time they needed - one dragged Harry to safety while the other threw up a block to prevent McNair from casting at the immobilized boy.

McNair cursed his luck, and then sent a few curses at Lucius as he flooed away.

Most of the party had wandered over to see what was happening and were horrified to hear Harry's tale. "Who was he?" Harry asked plaintively as he ended his story.

"Walden McNair, he's a Death Eater, but I don't think he was ever identified by the Ministry." Lucius mused. He turned to Amos Diggory, who was stricken with horror that his aide had turned into a kidnapping Death Eater. "You need to let your Minister know that McNair is a Death Eater, and attempted to kidnap Harry Potter - your Aurors need to get on that right away."

Amos nodded dumbly and flooed to the Ministry to stir up a search for Walden McNair.

Lucius turned back to Harry, now surrounded by his friends and a motley crew of Dragonriders who were taking this attempt rather personally. Yuan was bristling with outrage, and barking at the IFOW wizards to get him their best Wardsmiths out to his Reserve to reinforce things better - immediately.

"Well, I think that's enough of a party for tonight, lets head to Dragonsrest." Lucius waved at his group and they headed for home, accompanied by a ridiculous number of Reserve Dragonriders, but Lucius felt it was best to let them feel useful at present. The more they felt responsible for the safety of those at Dragonsrest, the better - whether it was truely their responsibility or not.

All three boys were sent up to bed, and since all three were feeling apprehensive about the evening's events they all bunked in Harry's room. Tinker produced two temporary beds with a snap of his fingers, and they settled in quickly.

Tom was also sent to bed, he and Yvane were both muttering about not knowing how McNair had slipped past their attention. Tom was totally exhausted and running mostly on anger and fear. What if that beast had managed to take Harry? The prospect was horrifying.

Lucius and Petunia sat up for a time - they needed to contact Severus and were dreading the event. Lucius finally pulled out a calming draught and poured a bit in each of their drinks.

"Well, lets call him." Lucius said after downing the glass.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ