Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Minerva's Visit

Christmas evening wound down quietly. The Malfoys left after extracting a promise from the Dragonsrest occupants to attend the New Years Eve bash at Malfoy Manor. The Minister of Magic was intending to be there - he'd left Harry alone for Christmas, but he was pressing for a ‘photo of the New Year being brought in, together'.

Severus had winced, but Harry had shrugged unconcernedly. "I don't have to give a speech, do I?" Lucius had smirked and said that could wait until another year.

Draco had waxed poetical in describing the wizarding fireworks they would see and the fun to be had at the party. "...especially this year, since it won't be mum making out the guest list. Some of the families interested in what dad had to say about supporting you instead of the Dark Lord will be there. Theo Nott is coming - I'm glad you'll finally get to meet him." Draco gave a grimace. "I think Pansy will be there, too. She's a right pain."

Severus had looked thoughtful and nodded again. He and Sinistra had been talking to Slytherins at Hogwarts regularly. They thought they were making progress, though Slytherins would always be secretive - they would likely know the decisions made after the student's graduation, when the students could decide for themselves and could see they had real options to what their families planned for them.

The other heads of house had had to quietly admit they may have ‘a small problem with Death Eater sympathizers' in their own houses, after all. Once he'd given the lists of names to them they had quietly talked to the students in question and had sometimes been quite appalled at the bigoted vitriol falling from the children's lips - much of it likely was simply what they heard their parents say, but some of the older students obviously believed it. Sprout and Flitwick had rallied quickly and had ideas of ‘debates in the common room' to air things out and perhaps counter that thinking.

Minerva had been the most stunned to realize there was dissent in the ranks, though after the Sirius Black debacle she shouldn't have been, Severus thought. However, she soon was on the prowl and speaking to students and many of their parents - who, of course, were likely former students. The McLaggens, especially were quite sneeringly contemptuous of muggles and muggleborns when asked their opinions.

Severus had somehow managed to not crow about the other houses problem with mini-dark wizards in training.

He shook his head and concentrated on the two boys playing with the gobstones in front of the fire. The set had been his mothers - one of the few things of Eileen's he had had. After Eileen's father Marius had died Severus had taken one of his few trips to Prince Manor, he'd been seventeen and Eileen had already been gone for years. He still winced, remembering how shabby he'd looked, sitting there at the reading of the will.

He hadn't hoped for much to be left to him, but it had gotten him out of Hogwarts for the day, though there had been almost as much humiliation at Prince Manor as there usually was at Hogwarts. The family holdings had gone to Marius' nephew, Seneca - who had at least had the grace to look a bit uncomfortable about it, though Seneca's haughty son Hadrian and his spoiled children had crowed loudly and given Severus superior looks.

Remembering their sneers and venom at that time had made it much easier to deceive them now, even if Hadrian was long dead and Samuel and Eleanor seemed nicer.

Severus had received ‘the contents of Eileen's Gringotts Vault' to Severus' relief, though it burned to know Marius had withheld it when Eileen was alive and in such desperate need. There wasn't a fortune there, but enough to get him apprenticed and on his way to his mastery.

Seneca had waved off his family after the will was read and had taken Severus to Eileen's old rooms, apologizing a bit for Marius' actions. "The old curmudgeon never could admit he might have been wrong - and though Uncle Marius didn't put much stock in blood purity, he couldn't bear Eileen marrying a muggle."

Severus had looked around Eileen's room, smiling at some of the pictures of a younger, happier girl. Seneca had let him take a few mementos, including the ‘championship gobstones set'. It was expensive - the gobstones made from semi-precious gems, and really quite beautiful.

Harry had been awe-struck to receive it for Christmas. Severus had enclosed a card saying the set had been Eileen's and passed to Severus, who now wished to pass it ‘to his son'. Harry had gulped a bit, swallowing a painful lump. Harry had called Severus dad often enough, but Severus had rarely called him anything but Harry. The card was now carefully put away in a keepsake box, and easily as precious to him as the gobstones, themselves.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Rosemerta waved at yet another customer who was laughingly giving her congratulations and waving the Daily Prophet at her. She opened quite late Christmas evenings - but there seem to be a lot of people who just wanted to peek at the ‘lioness' who had defended ‘The Boy Who Lived' from a madman.

The stories in the paper were obviously by those who had simply heard tales from customers who had been there, and were inflated to more exciting extremes. To her relief no one had said who the ‘madman' was. She knew a few of the customers had known - or guessed since Amos Diggory had been there, but to their credit had said nothing.

Her regular customers knew her story, and would have closed ranks a bit - the wizarding world was small enough that the truth of the scuffle in her pub would get around, eventually. But having the incident blazoned across the front page would not have made her happy, though, if it dragged her ex-fiancé into it, and they knew that.

Hugo had come in early in the evening, ordering a pint and had whispered a question "Was there anything she needed help with?"

Rosemerta had whispered the whole tale to him, making him howl with laughter and he gasped out a cheerful "Well, done...I had almost forgotten that curse existed." He became more serious, then. "Do I need to give Aaron Diggory a little visit?"

Rosemerta frowned thoughtfully; she doubted Aaron would be back - ever, so Hugo's visit would only stir things up, again. "No, though you might pass on through Amos that he is no longer welcome at my pub. I imagine the fear of being identified as ‘the madman' will keep him quiet. I think his wife intended to have words with him - after he got out of St. Mungo's, of course." She added with a smirk.

Hugo nodded happily. He'd decided to not disturb the occupants of Dragonsrest, unless Rosemerta felt it was needed. Apparently they had everything well in hand, though.

The papers had been sketchy about facts and a lot of stories varied a bit but all agreed on a few points - that Harry and Draco had been ‘helping out' at the Three Broomsticks and Harry had been tripped, causing a pie to land in a customer's face. The customer had been unreasonably irate and had drawn his wand. Rosemerta had leaped between them and cursed the ‘madman'. Some mentioned that Tom had stepped in and one said that the patron who'd accidentally tripped Harry - one Bernard Abbott - had pushed Harry behind him.

Mostly the writers had been irate that anyone would behave that way over an accident, and Rosemerta was being touted as a courageous heroine, vanquishing Harry's tormentor. Speculation over Rosemerta and Severus had been coyly brought up. Several writers had been ‘charmed' that a potential mother figure for Harry had been so very protective.

Rita Skeeter, however, was still stinging over the other reporter scooping the story about the shirt and making her look stupid for doubting Snapes ability to be fatherly. Her article had been subtle, praising Rosemerta for her actions, but questioning the boys being put to work on Christmas Eve of all days, and even casting aspersions on Lucius for ‘leaving his son at such loose ends'. She pointed out that the two bachelors obviously didn't know what a child needed, though she had cooed that it was ‘not their fault, with no women in their lives to take care of such things'. Rita had stopped short of overtly insulting Rosemerta, but had asked with simpering concern if she was really mother material - ‘a pub owner - likely to be away from the house at all hours - consorting with all sorts of people'.

Lucius and Severus had sneered at the paper that afternoon and Rosemerta had used it to light the fire with. Rita and her editor had received a lot more howlers than they expected over her article and the letters pouring in had been almost totally supportive of Severus and Rosemerta - and Lucius as well. Rita had insisted that any response was good - it meant people were reading. The editor had not smiled, though, probably because he was still putting out fires the howlers had set.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Remus had received a Christmas card and gift of rather expensive chocolates from Harry via a rather pretty Snowy owl. He still hadn't gotten much response from any of his letters to Harry, other than thanks for telling him stories about his father, and reassurances that he was quite happy at Dragonsrest. As far as he could tell his tales of brave Gryffindors outsmarting evil Slytherins was having little impact.

Remus was still at the safehouse on the outskirts of Hogsmeade. He flooed to wherever he was needed to go over things in the other safehouses or assist with warding. He had started contacting a few werewolves, here and there at Albus' request. There was a huge building on the other side of the forest from Hogsmeade that had been a storehouse. Albus intended to offer it to werewolves to renovate into a communal living for them.

Remus had admitted it might be helpful. It could be turned into apartments and werewolves could use it for a base, he hoped Greyback didn't hear of it. They would have to find a way to ward it away from him and his pack. It would be good to have some company, as well.

Order members dropped by daily for things. Molly of course, brought food. It was not the same, though. At times Remus wondered if he would always be alone and adrift. When he was studying the numerous books they had found, or was breaking curses on objects he didn't mind being alone so much. It was mealtimes that were the most difficult - expecting to hear laughter and debates, and instead hearing only echoing silence.

Maybe when the work was done he would remove to the old storehouse as well. Even if Mooney never accepted the other wolves as pack, he would not feel quite so alone.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Molly had managed to track down Professor McGonagall - she did spend part of the Christmas Holidays at Hogwarts with the students staying over - there were only four this year, so it did not require as many teachers staying.

Minerva had a large, far - flung family. Her husband was long dead, but they had had three children, and now grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She had started teaching after her husband had died, finding the house far too empty with the children gone.

Molly had caught her at the castle, just before she was to leave for her oldest son's home. Molly had been obviously distraught and uncertain and Minerva had decided that a short tea before leaving was in order. Molly had hesitantly told her about Tom's visit to Bill and his passing on the story about Neville - adding her own brief questioning of Neville, with his story of being hung out a window.

Minerva's lips tightened, and she gritted her teeth a bit. She couldn't actually remember the last time she'd seen Neville - it was likely when he'd still been a toddler. She still saw Augusta at times, to have tea at Madame Puddifoot's or a bite to eat at the Leakey if they were at Diagon Alley. Augusta had occasionally mentioned concerns about Neville, but Minerva had always reassured her that she was sure Neville's magic would be just fine. She would never have expected Augusta would be at the point of allowing Algernon to torture the boy.

The idea of ‘frightening the magic out of a squib' was ludicrous. It was also one of those old tales that would frequently re-emerge and desperate parents sometimes resorted to. Minerva had told Molly to continue to keep an eye on Neville and Minerva ‘would be giving Augusta Longbottom a visit' before the school year re-started. Molly had left after Minerva promised to owl Molly with the details of the visit.

Minerva mulled things over a bit, sipping on the tea. Simply lighting into Augusta like she wanted to wouldn't work, and as for Algernon - Azkaban was too good for him. However, she knew the courts would not see it that way. She would have to use reason, of course.

She'd been surprised to hear that this Tom had started all this. Albus had hesitantly told her the boy's story. She'd been shocked and saddened, and understood the need for her promise of secrecy. Few would understand that Voldemort's son should not have to answer for Voldemort's crimes. The pictures in the Prophet that had Tom Riddle in them had made her catch her breath, though.

Minerva well remembered the Tom Riddle she had gone to school with, and the lad in the pictures was nearly his double. She recalled the handsome boy in school, his intensity and flamboyantly dangerous air that had made more than one young witch sigh in longing - though he had seemed indifferent to their advances.

It was the day after Christmas and she hoped Severus wouldn't mind the intrusion; however she wanted the young Mr. Riddle's impressions on this. She firecalled her surprised colleague, and was soon standing in Dragonsrest's living room explaining her need to talk to Tom.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Nymphadora had awakened early the day after Christmas, anxious to see Tom. The gift he'd sent was absolutely beautiful. He'd sent a bracelet with runes of protection carved into jewels of carnelian and amber with silver beads strung between them. He'd included a note explaining all the runes with expressions of hope they would ‘keep her safe in her chosen profession'.

Andromeda had looked impressed, saying it was a nice gift - especially since he had done the work himself and had not just gone out and bought it. Ted had looked a bit sour, then said that ‘it was nice that Tom had her safety in mind'.

She'd hurried to Dragonsrest as soon as breakfast was over and gave Tom some enthusiastic thanks. Tom had also thanked her for her gift of a necklace that had a silver disc with a beautifully etched cheetah on it in gold inlay. "It's my Patronus." Dora whispered. Tom had been suitably impressed; he'd never mastered the charm, though he'd not tried it since his return in this time.

Petunia and the boys were taking down the Christmas tree and Tom and Dora offered to take down the garland and mistletoe in the other rooms. This gave them the chance to use each sprig of mistletoe one last time.

Tom was relieved that Dora had liked the bracelet. Carnelian and amber were not expensive jewels, but they held rune enchantments very well. They were taking down the last mistletoe when he heard Severus call for him. Tom was continuing to hold the sprig over Dora's head and trying to steal another kiss, while Dora laughed and stumbled away into the living room. They came to an abrupt halt, seeing Professor McGonagall standing there with Severus.

"Hello, Professor McGonagall." Dora managed to strangle out, blushing. "Happy Christmas."

Tom was choking back embarrassment and shock. He had very nearly blurted out a "Minnie, is that you?" when he had seen her. They had not been friends at school, but as a prefect he'd interacted with her a fair amount and had gotten to know her a little. He knew she was a teacher and that he would see her at some point, but this had been a shock. It hit him hard to see her looking so old...as old as he should be.

He mentally chided himself, no - as old as Lord Voldemort would be, not him. He was not Voldemort.

"Correct, I'm glad you are finally remembering without my telling you." Yvane said with satisfaction. Tom dissociating himself from Voldemort needed to be automatic. Eventually Yvane hoped Tom would not even need to remind himself.

Tom caught up with his surroundings just in time and stepped forward to greet Minerva. She was smirking slightly as Tom was introduced by Severus.

"Very nice to meet you, Mr. Riddle." Minerva said with a smile. She was far from offended; truthfully she'd been relieved to see Tom stumbling out in disarray like that. The scheming Tom she'd known would not have been caught cavorting with anyone, and certainly not someone of Nymphadora's bloodline. This Tom in no way resembled the one she'd gone to school with.

"I apologize for our entrance, I had no idea we had a visitor." Tom said with a sheepish smile. He'd hoped to make a more distinguished impression on his professors when he met them...or, rather met them again. Severus was giving him a partly amused, partly aggravated look. He'd read Minerva's reaction to Tom and was glad she'd seen Tom in a clinch that Voldemort would never have been caught in - even with an Imperious cast on him.

Minerva smiled a bit wider. "I spend most of my time with teenagers - I do know that you tend to get caught in clinches." She raised an eyebrow at Dora who blushed and nervously muttered she would go help Petunia.

"Professor McGonagall would like to ask a few questions regarding young Mr. Longbottom." Severus intoned seriously. "Perhaps the library?"

Tom showed her to the library and a comfortable seat. The library had been extended to double its original size now, with all the new books being added from Tom and Percy's duplication of books they found at Hogwarts library. Now the safehouses libraries had to be gone through before they were returned - not that Tom minded that in the least.

The addition to the library had allowed them to add a large bay window with window-seats that overlooked the Reserve compound. There were always a few dragons in the air to watch, as the boys had quickly discovered.

Minerva's questions echoed Molly's, and he answered them calmly - the story came easily, now. It, after all was totally true with only the omission of Yvane, and glossing over whether he really intended to use Legilimency on the boy or not.

Minerva was finally satisfied - with her need for information on Neville and with her curiosity about the younger Tom Riddle.

Harry and Dudley were introduced as she left. Harry was quite pleased to meet the Professor who still sent him letters with stories about his parents and grandparents. Minerva was pleased to meet Harry. And in spite of what Remus Lupin kept muttering every time she visited him Harry's lack of glasses didn't really detract from his resemblance to his parents. Perhaps it made his green eyes more noticeable, but James' features were still there as well - certainly the untamed hair was still there, though it was not as wild as James always kept it.

Dudley also seemed quite nice, blondish hair and a strongly husky body - not fat, really, just the promise of likely becoming a brawny lad, though he would likely have to watch his waistline when older, she thought.

"Can you really turn into a cat?" Dudley blurted out. Behind him Dora sighed and blushed a bit, once again - her hair cycling wildly between colors.

"Yes, but you must promise not to tell all the students - I like to keep it a surprise." Minerva smiled. "Animagus forms are difficult for even adults to learn, students should only learn under very controlled and careful lessons." They boys nodded with grins - and with sparkling eyes and the intent look of keen interest she remembered from the marauders. Oddly, she could remember Severus having the same look in his eyes when a subject had interested him - though he had hidden the grin.

Minerva left and Tom joined Dora in taking down the tree and dragging it outside. Petunia and Dudley joined them to take to tree to the middle of the pasture where a pile of them was slowly forming. On New Years there would be a bonfire and celebration.

Severus waved Harry back, asking him to stay. When the others had gone he took him upstairs and sat Harry down on his bed and summoned a package from his own room and sat in a chair next to Harry. Keeping Harry's present from him had troubled him. He didn't intend to let Harry parade around in it, but he felt Harry should know it existed.

He held the package out to Harry, who took it carefully, with a puzzled expression. "Albus brought this over, saying he would leave it up to me as to when you got it. I didn't like keeping it from you, but I wasn't sure you should have it as yet. It belonged to your father - James."

At that Harry tore into the package and shook the cloak out in puzzlement.

"It's an invisibility cloak, Harry." Severus said in amusement. "I imagine it was one of the secrets to his success as a prankster." He managed to maintain his smile, though knowing how much higher the odds had been stacked against him in school than he even had guessed made him burn a little.

Harry pulled the cloak around him and faced his mirror, laughing at the sight of his head floating in midair.

Severus smiled at the sight as well, his resentment fading in the face of Harry's pleasure. Harry took it off and sat, with the cloak over his legs, making them disappear. Harry stroked the cloak and chuckled some more, with a faintly wistful look on his face.

"I don't usually miss my parents...not in the real sense, ‘cause I don't really remember them, ya know? But now and then - when I look at the pictures in the album of them or something ... it will hit me. Maybe it's regret or a sense of loss - from never getting to know them." Harry rambled a bit as he stroked the cloak. "Thank you for giving this to me."

Severus' throat tightened and he felt the familiar twist of a knife in the gut. He knew that sense of regret and loss, though at least Harry was spared the crushing weight of guilt that Severus sometimes had. "I would like to keep the cloak in my room - in a box on top of the closet. I want you to know where it is, because you can see it whenever you like - but I need your promise to not use it." Severus tried for a smile. "Well, unless a cave troll invades and you need to hide from it. This is too hazardous a thing to be used as a toy or tool for pranks."

Harry looked ready to protest for a moment, sighed, and then nodded thoughtfully. "Okay, I promise. But can I have it later - when I'm older?"

Severus nodded. "Of course - It does belong to you, and when you're more mature and I know you can handle the responsibility properly you can keep it with you."

The cloak was carefully folded and placed in a box and Severus showed Harry where it was put in the closet. "I suggest you keep this a secret - you can tell Draco and Dudley later, when you actually have the cloak. It will be just between us." Severus hoped the thrill of a big secret would keep Harry satisfied.

Harry nodded with a conspiratorial grin. He and dad had a secret...brilliant. The cloak was very cool, though he could understand why it needed to be put up. It would be a huge temptation to use it to trick people, but he would keep his word and show Severus he was responsible.

The pair ambled downstairs and set up another game of wizard chess. Severus was determined to teach Harry at least a little strategy.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ