Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Rosier's Questioning

Severus and Lucius, trailed by Tom walked into the makeshift holding area the French Aurors had set up. There were always a few complaints and some petty theft at large events, but their small office was not really prepared to deal with the large crowd of shouting wizards and witches. The French Minister Anton Renoir restored order by casting an electrical ball that ricocheted around the room zapping anyone still talking.

The group was eventually silent – staring resentfully at the Minister and rubbing scorched areas sullenly.

"I realize this is all very alarming, but we need to sort out this mess. It is nearly dawn, now, and all the interested parties seem to be here, now." The Minister stared a bit at the Russian diplomat – he still wasn't sure why they had arrived.

Renoir ordered several people out and sent quite a few Aurors outside 'to guard the perimeter'. The chaos subsided with the lessening of the crowd. "Now, then, I realize this is of international interest, but it occurred on French soil, so we will be in charge of this – until we are satisfied the justice is – or will be served."

"He's a Death Eater and killed British citizens in the past – and yet another just hours ago, apparently – he should be in our custody, Hugo was a fool not to simply apparate him to our Ministry's holding cells…" Alastor Moody growled angrily.

Moody had been outraged to hear the Evan Rosier was still alive. He had raged that it was a trick until they had arrived to the overcrowded office to see Rosier smirking as he sat, chained, to a chair.

"Silence, Mad-eye, we'll have our turn to ask for custody … after we hear what exactly happened here." Minister Fudge snapped at Moody. Moody subsided sullenly. Hugo and Amelia Bones nodded in agreement. Moody had been snarling about 'Death Eaters' and how Rufus had had the right of it – Snape belonging in Azkaban, not in charge of Harry Potter and how Malfoy was full of Dark tricks.

It had been quite embarrassing, and Hugo had snapped he would take Alastor off the case if he didn't shut up. The French had smirked and the Russians had stared, unable to believe Moody had dared to rave at his superiors in that manner.

The French Minister raised an eyebrow, but answered calmly, "I realize that it is British citizens that have suffered from this Dark Wizard. We are not unsympathetic – we did lose many wizards to Death Eater depredations near the end of the Dark Lords war – though of course we did not lose nearly so many as you did. He was only starting to make inroads into Europe when he was stopped." Renoir noticed the Russian diplomat shift uncomfortably as he said this, but as the Russian said nothing, Renoir ignored it.

Renoir waved the Head French Auror - Rellard – forward and he bowed briefly to Hugo, pleased to be working with such a renowned wizard.

"If I could hear your recollection of the events of the evening …" He waved a court recorder forward to start noting things down. Severus and Lucius told what they had seen and heard briefly with Tom adding a few details he'd noted.

Rellard looked at Severus closely at the end of the tale. "You say you sensed his magic, Monsieur Snape?"

Severus tensed, looking around. His ability to sense and recognize magical auras was a closely guarded secret that he let few know about. It was an invaluable advantage and he hated admitting it in front of Aurors – particularly that vicious brute Moody.

"Well, yes…I can sense auras and if I've encountered them frequently I will likely recognize them." Severus admitted slowly.

Rellard nodded with a smile. "I have two wizards in my corp that have that gift – quite useful at times. And you say you recognized that aura of this wizard?"

"Of course he recognized him – they are both Death Eaters!" Moody shouted, red faced. Causing a lot of French eyebrows to raise and sudden sideways looks at Severus.

"Quiet, Moody." Minister Fudge shouted angrily. "One more outburst and you can resign." Cornelius huffed and turned to Rellard. "Mr. Snape was cleared by the Head of the Wizengamot himself, Albus Dumbledore – testified that he was a spy for him during the war."

The French Aurors relaxed and nodded. Rellard looked over at Evan with a smile and rubbed his hands. "Well, we appear to have arrived at the Veritaserum portion of the day's entertainment."


Tom had been watching Evan closely since they had arrived to the 'Auror office'. He recalled a Rosier at school that had been a Ravenclaw that had been a good four years ahead of him. He'd been an obnoxiously cruel brat that had reminded him uncomfortably of Billy Stubbs at the orphanage. He found it difficult to believe he'd recruited the chaos loving beast.

Lucius had said this was his son, and cut from the same cloth as his late father. He listened, grim faced, as Evan told of his plans to kidnap and torture Harry Potter – hopefully for weeks or even months, while sending messages to 'that traitor Snape' and perhaps a few body parts as well.

Tom couldn't bear to think of his kind younger brother enduring the things Evan was describing. He quickly had broken out in a sweat while his stomach roiled in agitation. He spotted the bathroom just in time and stumbled in, and vomited violently.

"Harry is safe – he and most of the others are crowded into the Malfoy tent. With the Bulgarians guarding it." Yvane soothed.

How could this Rosier person enjoy such cruelties?

"They said that Voldemort relished watching his servants torture victims." Yvane said pensively.

As he splashed cool water on his face he mused he truly felt he was now a totally different person from Voldemort. He never thought of himself as the same person as the Dark Lord anymore. There was a sense of relief. There was absolutely no chance he would ever follow in any of Voldemort's footsteps. He could feel Yvane's warm approval.

Hugo opened the door a bit. "Okay, lad?" He asked hesitantly eyeing Tom's pale face.

"Sorry, hearing what he planned for Harry…Harry's such a good person – I couldn't bear to imagine it." Tom swallowed hard, fighting down nausea.

Hugo draped an arm over the young man's shoulders and drew him back into the room. "No need to apologize. Even those of us who hear things like this daily get literally sick of it at times. And Harry isn't a stranger to you – it's someone you care about."

Some of the others in the room glanced at Tom sympathetically, then turned back to hear Evan describe tailing Neville as he left the campsite, believing he was Harry and noticing another wizard tailing him as well. Augusta's noise of pain on hearing Evan describe Algernon's attempt at killing Neville just made Evan smirk in amusement.

"I couldn't believe that twit of an excuse for a wizard was killing my chosen victim. I blasted him into the swamp with the dugbogs. They were quick about turning him into a meal." Evan laughed in remembrance. "I had dragged the boy out of the water, and the wizards that arrived captured me and started working on the boy." Evan frowned a bit blearily as the Veritaserum started running out. "I didn't know I'd been followed." He shrugged, shaking his head to try and clear it.

His gaze fell on Alastor Moody's scarred visage and his smiled crookedly. "Well, well. I suppose you've been thinking all these years that you'd run me to ground like a fox and collected my tail as a souvenir." He chuckled happily as Alastor ground his teeth and glared.

Enid led the weeping Augusta out and back to the tent, insisting that she take a Dreamless Sleep. Enid shook her head wearily. She'd seen what was left of Algie's body. She tried to feel sorry for Algie, but it was a struggle. She'd watched him torture Neville mentally as well as physically for years. It had been a rough justice, she supposed, that a cruel animal like Evan Rosier had appeared to deal out punishment.


Lucius and Severus watched grimly as Evan finished his statement. Severus was tempted to send Tom back to the tents to rest – he still looked pale and queasy, but the stubborn look on his face said he intended to stick out the whole ordeal.

Severus had wished desperately he'd killed Evan before the Aurors had arrived, hearing the dark wizard's plans infuriated and sickened him. He entirely sympathized with Tom's reaction of vomiting. He could tell by Lucius' tense jaw and blazing eyes that he was equally incensed.

The French Minister and his Head Auror conferred in quiet tones and then waved Cornelius Fudge, Lucius and Severus over. Amelia and Alastor stood just behind and the Russian diplomat hovered close by.

Renoir cleared his throat and looked at the group firmly. "From his own testimony he has proclaimed himself guilty of using the killing curse on Algernon Longbottom. An argument could be made that he saved Neville Longbottom's life. However it is clear he intended to kidnap and kill Harry Potter, so I don't believe that is necessarily relevant. It did happen on French soil, so we will hold a trial – which will likely be swift."

Alastor was unable to hold back, "You plan on putting him in that poncy resort of a prison you run…"

Renoir didn't wait for Fudge to silence him. "While it is true that we do not use Dementors..." Renoir gave the British wizards a disapproving look. "…I do not believe the occupants would think they were at a resort. As well, Mr. Rosier is clearly insane – we do not execute the insane here in wizarding France, but I assure you that after he does his sentence we will let you know and you can detain him for further prosecution."

The Russian diplomat cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention. "I would like to offer to take charge of Mr.….Rosier, though the Russian ministry employed him as a wardsmith under the name Ivan Rossinski." the wizard sighed. "I am reluctant to give shelter of any sort to a beast like him, but I'm sure you are aware of how desperately we are still in need of skilled wardsmiths."

Amelia grabbed Alastor – who was turning an alarming shade of purple – and dragged him outside where he could swear under a privacy ward.

Fudge and Renoir eyed the Russian diplomat silently. Europe had been trying to re-establish decent contacts and trade with Russia since the fall of the Tsars. Every time there was progress there would be another war and another coup among the muggles – which affected Russian wizards far more that it did European wizards. Lately there had been signs of more stability in the Russian wizarding community. At least listening to the Russian's request would be a sign of 'good faith' and perhaps open more lines of communication.

Renoir eyed the British wizards – of course annoying them and causing an international incident by being accused of 'cutting loose' a Death Eater who wanted to torture Harry Potter to death would be political suicide.

Severus ended the standoff, "Speaking as Harry's guardian I would prefer Evan Rosier dead. However I realize that is the parent in me speaking." The others in the room nodded sympathetically. "Mostly I want Rosier securely confined, and I don't care where." Severus looked at the Russian narrowly.

The Russian nodded in understanding – he had better have a good explanation of how they would keep Rosier confined, or Severus and Lucius would block the idea with all their considerable political weight.

Renoir nodded more happily. "You may of course present your offer at Mr. Rosier's court appearance – tomorrow. I will arrange to have our Wizengamot hear this case immediately."

The Russian nodded in relief and left. He'd half expected them to dismiss him, but they were willing to at least listen. Hearing that their prize wardsmith had been arrested for murder … what a mess.


Tom walked between Severus and Lucius as they made their way back to the tents. Hugo stayed to make sure Fudge made it back to Britain without sticking his foot in any political traps.

Dora met them at the edge of their campsite. The 'tent city' for the World Cup was getting smaller by the moment – and news of a possible Death Eater attack had people leaving by the droves. Tom and the others were quite cheerful about it.

Dora pulled him toward the empty Tonks tent with pleas to 'tell her everything'. Tom glanced at Severus who nodded him in Dora's direction. Dora would calm Tom quicker that they would, considering they were likely to have to go over everything again with the waiting horde.

Tom split off from the others with relief. He knew Severus and Lucius had to reassure the others but he couldn't bear to hear it all again. Dora pulled him onto a sofa, enfolding him into her arms. He found it surprising that someone so much smaller than him could make him feel enveloped in caring warmth.

To Tom's relief she didn't immediately ask for news – it had apparently been a ploy to get him alone, but she perhaps did feel how upset he was as well. A few kisses were exchanged and his eyes asked a question that was answered by her pulling him gently into her bedroom. She'd shown him her golden yellow bedroom on his birthday. He mused that at last he understood what all the fuss regarding sex was about.

Yvane chuckled in the background and then mercifully absented himself from Tom's consciousness.


Draco and Harry were crowded onto a sofa with Petunia and Dudley, pretending to read some books, waiting anxiously to hear the news. Draco and Harry bolted to Lucius and Severus' sides when they appeared.

Severus scanned their anxious faces, "Evan Rosier was acting alone – there aren't any other Death Eaters in on the attack."

Everyone let out a relieved breath. The Weasleys went back to their own tent, except for Ron, who was in with Neville. The Krums departed as well, though they regretfully said they would need to leave for Bulgaria the next day, along with the Bulgarian youths. "They have apprenticeships they must get to."

Severus and Lucius reassured them that Hugo was leaving the Aurors with them that had been watching over the boys. They no longer needed to distance themselves, as Harry and the other children would likely welcome their presence.

Severus drew Harry aside to their tent, Rosemerta walking with them and sensing possible trouble.

All the while Severus had been listening to Evan's horrific plans he'd wanted to grab Harry and run back to Dragonsrest. He still felt that way to an extent. Severus sat on the sofa with Rosemerta and Harry flanking him.

Severus took one of Harry's hand and looked at him apologetically. "I know we planned to stay here on the beach until after your birthday, Harry. But I'm quite anxious about your safety. Neville will be able to leave tomorrow, and the Wizengamot will hear Evan Rosier's case tomorrow as well. I believe we should return to Dragonsrest tomorrow."

Harry was sure there was more to this than just going home. After all, with the events with Rosier, going home was perfectly logical. He'd had well over a week at the beach and seen the world up… It must be that they were all going to be very busy. Ah – his birthday was going to be canceled because everyone was so very busy. Aunt Petunia was moving, Tom was spending every spare minute with Dora before she left for Auror school, Rosemerta and Lucius had neglected their businesses lately…

"It's okay, dad. The whole trip has been wonderful, so not having a regular birthday party will be alright." Harry managed brightly. It wasn't like he'd never had a birthday ignored.

Rosemerta choked and Severus blinked in shock. Where had Harry come up with that idea? "Harry! Of course we'll have a birthday party – we're all looking forward to it." At Harry's relieved look, Severus added, "And I think it's too late for any of to get our money back on all those presents we bought, so you'll have to put up with receiving them."

Harry grinned and elbowed him with a muttered, "Dad, no teasing."

"Andre had to win a rather violent wrestling match with Tinker and Dobby to make your Birthday cake – I assure you he won't allow anything to be cancelled." Rosemerta added.

Harry smiled happily and went into his room to start packing his rather large shell and driftwood collection.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lucius and Severus left quite early the next morning to attend the court hearing for Evan. Tom had opted to stay at the camp. He had no wish to ever see Rosier again.

The Daily Prophet arrived a bit late – but they were in France, so the owls took a bit more time. Tom finished his leisurely breakfast and lingered over a cappuccino. Tinker had picked up a trick or two from some French elves and was experimenting with coffees.

He finally picked up the paper and froze in horror. Someone had gotten a copy of Rosier's entire questioning. Every horrifying torture he'd gloatingly boasted of intending to inflict on Harry was transcribed into the article in bold print. Tom dropped the paper and raced into Harry's room.

Tom panicked for a moment. Harry was nowhere in sight, though there was a crumpled copy of the Daily Prophet. Then he saw Harry huddled in a corner, pale and shaking. Tom dropped to his knees beside him he started to reach for Harry, but stopped when Harry flinched away.

"Harry?" Tom asked anxiously. Harry continued to rock, giving no sign that he had heard Tom, or understood. He stared straight ahead and shook, frightening Tom.

Tom had seen episodes like this before a few times. Once at the orphanage, a child had been brought in whose parents had been murdered in front of him. He'd only been there a day, then gone with some of the older children shrugging and saying 'Gone to the asylum'.

Tom looked down at the paper. Damn them, couldn't they have warned them? Did they think Harry wouldn't see it, be affected by it?