Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Goodbye Professor Binns

Minerva walked to the Headmaster's office, aghast. Albus had told her that he and Severus – along with Tom and Remus were off to 'obtain something in the fight against Voldemort'. He'd made his escape out the front entrance while she'd still been wincing over the name. He'd called back over his shoulder that Lucius Malfoy was 'watching over Hogwarts' while Albus was away.

Minerva had reeled back mentally at that. Lucius Malfoy? Surely not. She muttered unhappily all the way to the Headmaster's office. "I can't believe Lucius is in charge with Albus gone for the day ... unbelievable!"

Neville, Ron and Hermione overheard her and looked at each other fearfully. "With Dumbledore gone Snape will try for the Stone for sure." Ron said flatly. "With Lucius helping him Quirrell is a goner – the Stone will be out of here before lunch."

Neville nodded. "We need to get the stone before Snape and Malfoy do." Hermione nodded in agreement, tight-lipped with anxiety. They took off to their dorms to gather up cloaks and whatever else they felt they would need.

Minerva continued muttering on her way to the office and Quirrell heard her quite clearly. "Albus and Severus gone – most likely for all day ... madness! Likely they're making merry down at the 3 Broomsticks ..." Minerva huffed.

Quirrell could hardly believe it and Voldemort hissed in agitated joy. "Come – we need to get the stone immediately." They raced toward the third floor happily. They had most of the answers of to how to get by the traps ... they would have to wing it with the rest.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Lucius heard the small chime announcing that someone was coming up the winding stair to the office. A glance at the spelled parchment on the desk said that it was Professor McGonagall. He quickly grabbed a few things and sat so that when she came through the door it was to find Mr Malfoy sipping at the Headmaster's most expensive elf-made wine, leafing through the Headmaster's daily log of events and he even had his boots ... very expensive italian leather boots - but boots none the less ... on the Headmaster's desk.

Minerva gritted her teeth hard enough that she felt a tooth chip and a red haze drifted across her vision. How dare he! She slammed the door closed and the insolent rascal looked up at her in polite inquiry.

Minerva realized in fury that there was a rather self-satisfied look of amusement in the miscreant's eyes. She reined in the anger with difficulty and managed a mild, "The daily log is only supposed to be read by a governor with the Headmaster or the Deputy Headmaster present."

Lucius merely grinned unrepentantly. "Well, you're here now, Professor. And I'm very glad you've arrived – alway a breath of springtime to be in your presence, Minerva." Lucius beamed at her with an innocent expression.

Minerva glared at the wizard in baffled astonishment. She'd seen him here at school as a gifted and powerful student for seven years, nearly two decades ago – then from across a battlefield or two during the first war. She was quite sure they had exchanged curses during battles - she'd thought he'd nearly gotten her a time a two, even. Now Albus insisted that he was an ally – and the crafty devil was blandly throwing outrageous compliments at her.

She wasn't sure whether to laugh or hex the blond menace.

"Well, it's always interesting to meet you Lucius." She finally answered.

Lucius chuckled. He'd read most of her expressions as clearly as if he'd legillimized her. In spite of being a very formidable witch, she'd never learned to conceal her thoughts. She'd obviously been remembering him as an adversay. He remembered a battle or two where he'd been sure she was going to take him down – Lucius usually had no difficulty cursing his opponents, but hexing his elderly old teacher seemed a bit cowardly – at least until she'd almost taken his head off with an extremely well cast diffindo. After that he'd no problem sending spells her way.

Lucius poured a glass of the excellent wine and hovered it to her. She sipped at it and eyed him. "I'm not sure why Albus found it necessary to have the fox guard the henhouse ... however I have classes to attend to ... do take care what you get into, Lucius." She downed the rest of the wine and rose to leave, giving Lucius one last level stare of warning.

Lucius managed to wait until she was at the bottom of the stair before snickering happily to himself. He needed to pensieve this memory for Severus.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

When the trio arrived to Fluffy's room they found the beast snoring with a harp playing nearby. They groaned and went to the open hatch, and jumped in with resignation. Both Hermione and Neville recognized the devil's snare and talked a hysterical Ron through it. Ron managed to ride the broom in the next room and catch the key to get through the next door and they found themselves on a chess board.

Ron sighed and directed them to places on the board. "We'll need to play our way across."

The trio, however had been seen and others were hot on their trail. Dudley had heard them talking on the way to the third floor, and it was obvious they were 'trying to head off Snape and Mr. Malfoy from getting the Stone.'

Dudley headed to the dungeons, intending to get Snape, himself to bring them into line. He found Harry and Draco sitting in Snape's office, working on a Potions essay. To his dismay they said that Snape was gone with Dumbledore and even Tom was not there.

"My dad is here – he's in the Headmaster's office, I think." Draco said.

Harry stood resolutely. "Dudley, see if you can find McGonagall and tell her what's happening. Draco – find your dad and let him know those idiots are endangering the Stone. I'll follow them and see if I can stop them." The other two took off and Harry went into his father's private quarters.

They had brought the invisibility cloak to Hogwarts with them, so Harry could see it now and then. Sometimes when Remus' letters upset him he would take the cloak out and stroke it. He would remind himself that even Severus said that James would want Harry to be happy – even if it was with Severus. Lily certainly would not hold his choice of father against him.

Now, though, he intended to take the cloak to use it to save the stone. With Albus, Severus and Tom gone, Quirrell might feel free to try something. If they couldn't find Lucius quickly enough the thief might get the stone and leave before they knew it. He took the cloak and ran toward the third floor, hoping his father would understand.

The harp was still playing and Fluffy was still snoring, Harry cursed and dropped into the devil's snare. He had heard his dad discussing the traps with Tom a few times. Severus wanted Tom 'aware' of things in case he was needed. He'd heard Severus give Tom the passwords to get by Severus' trap and the chessboard – the ones most likely to take time to get by. Harry hoped he could remember them.

Harry remembered devil's snare hated light and cast a sunlight charm and dropped onto the stone floor. He ran to grab the broom and caught the now badly damaged key. He ran into the chess room to find Ron down, with Hermione cradling his head. She looked at Harry uncertainly and Neville outright challenged him.

"Here to help your dad steal the stone, Potter?" He spat.

"Professor Snape went with the Headmaster this morning, idiot – he isn't even here." Harry ground out angrily. "You need to get out of here before you muck everything up."

"But who went through before us?" Hermione asked uncertainly.

At Harry's sharp look Neville said, "The dog was already out cold and the traps had been gotten through once, before we came through."

Harry nodded, so Quirrell was making his move. "You two get Weasley to the infirmary ... and let Mr Malfoy or Professor McGonagall know where I am – Dudley and Draco are alerting them as well."

Neville had started to argue, but the news that McGonagall was onto them unnerved him – Professor McGonagall had championed him to his Grandmother – he really didn't want to make her mad at him. He and Hermione hefted Ron up and started toward the hatch door with him.

Harry put the cloak on after they left and passed the remaining chess pieces unchallenged. The troll was still unconscious, to Harry's relief and he was finally just faced with his father's brain-twister. He read it quickly, admiring the convoluted logic puzzle. He was sure that with several hours to waste, he could have gotten the answer. He whispered the password and entered the final chamber. He saw the Mirror of Erised and knew that it was somehow made into the Headmaster's trap.

Quirrell was standing in front of it, talking to himself in a frantic voice. To Harry's shock a deeper, angry voice answered him. He crept forward a bit, hoping to catch sight of the person there with Quirrell. He could see no one, though and was confused, coming forward a little further. One of his feet hit a stone, sending it down the stairs to the bottom, where the Mirror and Quirrell stood.

Harry immediately froze, hoping to escape detection, but it was no use. The hissing voice said, "Our visitor is wearing an invisibility cloak, I believe. I can sense his magic – and he's no ghost." The voice cackled out a laugh.

Quirrell summoned the cloak, letting it drop onto the steps between them. Harry stood there, still frozen in shock, hoping that Draco and Dudley found help, quick.

"Use the boy ... see if he knows how to work the mirror." The voice hissed.

Quirrell yelled, "Come here, boy." No trace of a stutter present, now, Harry noticed.

Harry stumbled forward, and saw himself in the mirror, holding the stone and putting it in his pocket. He felt the stone appear in his own pocket and gritted his teeth, unhappily.

Quirrell snarled, "What did you see?"

Harry babbled out some drivel about Quidditch cups and House points and trophies. He was interupted by the voice again, telling Quirrell he wished to face Harry, himself. To Harry's horror, after the turban was removed, there was another face at the back of Quirrell's head. Harry barely heard Voldemort try to bribe him with power and riches – even the return of Lily and James. He glanced at the mirror – James and Lily still looked proud and understanding, but Severus' face was looking at him sternly ... telling him he had a job to finish.

Voldemort might be facing him, but Quirrell couldn't see him. He turned swiftly and ran, grabbing up the cloak as he went. He shouted the password and fled through his dad's carefully laid fires, flinging the cloak over himself. It was impossible to run without making noise, but the stone walls aided him by echoing his footsteps – making it hard to tell where he was.

He ran like a fiend past the troll, through the chessboard, and passed the keys. Quirrell was not far behind, casting wildly here and there – trying to locate the boy. Harry got to the devil's snare and threw the cloak back to be able to climb – revealing at least part of himself to Quirrell. He then demonstrated his monkey-like skills as a climber. He mentally thanked the old Dudley and his gang for the years of 'Harry hunting' that had taught him to clamber up trees and vine-covered walls while dodging pursuit.

He raced past the just-starting-to-rouse Fluffy and down the stairs to the second floor and dodged the curses being aimed at him by the swifty closing in Quirrell. He made it to the first floor and the hopefully occupied classrooms.

He screamed as Quirrell grabbed his arm and they both toppled to the floor. Quirrell got him by the throat then and Harry shoved at Quirrell's face in terror. Quirrell's screams soon mixed with his own as the DADA professor started to crumble into dust.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Dudley ran to the Transfiguration classroom, belatedly realizing that interupting McGonagall's class almost took more courage than he possessed. He opened the door and was immediately pinned down by McGonagall's less that amused stare.

She marched to the door and swept out to the hall and raised an eyebrow, awaiting an explanation. Dudley stuttered a bit as he explained that Ron, Hermione and Neville were going to get past the dog and go after the Stone 'to save it from Snape and Mr. Malfoy.'

"Draco's looking for his dad, and Harry's gone after the three idiots." Dudley finished with a grimace of apology.

Minerva dismissed the class, telling them to start working on their summer projects and essays. Dudley trailed after her as she went to the Headmaster's office.

Lucius, however was not there. After rummaging through all the logs and books that he dared – he figured that if Dumbledore had left it out, he must not care if Lucius looked at it - he noticed a wildly flashing crystal pyramid out of the corner of his eye. He walked over to the shelves that contained numerous alarms and monitors that showed the levels of wards on the castle. The instruments were mostly crystal with some glints of silver or gold. They tended to be changed out occasionally or added to by Headmasters.

As a governor, Lucius was aware of some of the instruments. The one flashing he'd never seen before ... and he was sure it was important. Albus had said he was 'monitoring' the traps set for any thief after the Stone. He hadn't said how he was doing so – he likely didn't expect an attack while he was gone for only part of a day.

Lucius gently lifted the flashing pyramid and when it didn't react, he took it with him down the stairs in search of the Deputy Headmistress. He headed for her office, not sure if she had a class at the time, missing his son, who arrived after he left.

Draco shouted hysterically at the indifferent gargoyle. Minerva almost took points for language when she came up to him, except she was feeling as unnerved as Draco. They headed for the third floor and met up with an injured Ron, being supported by Neville and Hermione, going toward the Infirmary.

They hesitantly explained what they had done, and how Harry had found them and sent them back – but going on after whoever was after the Stone.

"It's Quirrell, you morons!" Draco shouted in frustration, shocking the three. "He's working for the Dark Lord."

"Silence, Draco." Minerva said absently. "Take Mr Weasley on to the Infirmary, please." The trio stumbled on to Madame Pomfrey, hoping they didn't have detentions extending on into their second year.

Minerva frowned and went to her nearby office, using her floo to call the Auror's Dept. She explained that students had gotten caught up in the traps laid to keep the Sorcerer's Stone safe and someone was even now trying to steal it. Luckily Hugo was there and he limited the eager Aurors to just three – however Rufus was there and insisted on coming along. They came through the floo and together with Minerva and the two students, headed for the third floor.

Lucius hadn't found Minerva in her office, and her classroom was inexplicably empty as well. As he started to leave the room he heard screams and spells coming down the hallway. He raced into the hallway, wand drawn from his cane to find Harry being strangled by Quirrell. Lucius charged at them, afraid to fire with the figures so close. He stopped abruptly as Quirrell stood suddenly and started to disintegrate with horrifying screams.

Professor Binns rushed out of his office on the other side of the dying DADA professor. Through the transparent Binns Lucius could see Minerva running toward them – but still some distance away, with Aurors rushing behind her.

Harry stood and was backing slowly toward Lucius as a wispy dark fog rose from the ashes and robes that had been Quirrell. Lucius kept his wand raised, wondering what to do. The specter suddenly rushed toward them. Lucius cursed his hesitation and cast a charm meant to send a malevolent ghost on to ... well... the beyond.

Lucius was too late, though – the specter rushed through Harry and ducked to one side, fleeing out a window. Harry fell to the floor with a cry and Lucius watched in dread as his spell struck Professor Binns squarely.

The ghostly professor's face took on a surprised expression as a pillar of light appeared and he muttered, "Goodness, will you look at that." The ghost dissipated into the light and then the pillar of light simply disappeared.

Lucius took in the stunned look of dismay on Minerva's face and the frowns of the Aurors – even Hugo looked grim and Lucius muttered, "Well, shit."

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

To the Headmaster and Severus' surprise they were lead by Dudley, not to the third floor, but to the infirmary where there was a scene of utter chaos. Severus and Tom rushed to Harry's side – who was lying unconscious on a cot.

Albus bellowed, "Silence!" and got the attention of everyone. "Now, what is going on?"

Minerva told him about Dudley – and then Draco telling about the trio going into the trapped area. Hermione reluctantly told of their expedition. Lucius went into his tale and ended with his casting at the 'dark spirit'.

Rufus broke in. "We saw no spirit. All we saw was Malfoy casting a spell that took down Harry and killed one of your professors."

Lucius gritted his teeth, apparently Binn's figure had not been transparent enough for them to see through him and see the smokey figure of ... well, it must have been Voldemort, he reluctantly conceded.

Hugo objected to Rufus' statement. "You can't kill a ghost – sending them on isn't murder."

"There are laws about sending on someone like the professor who is willingly still here and making themselves useful." Rufus argued. "And we don't know what he did to Harry Potter ..." He glared in accusation at Severus, who ignored him.

Draco and Dudley crowded around Harry's cot and Severus made Tom lay down on the next bed, taking a chair between the two and barking at the harried Poppy.

"I did not curse Harry, you idiot. The spell to send on the ghost would not effect Harry – and its the only one I sent." Lucius insisted.

"We need to speak with you, Mr. Malfoy." Rufus finally said pompously. "At the ministry."

Hugo and Albus frowned. They did need to know what happened, but Rufus was going a bit over the top.

Lucius' eyes narrowed and Severus stood. The Gryffindors in the room might not know what was happening, but they did. The law was still on the books that a Death Eater could be sent straight to Azkaban – to be questioned at the Auror's leisure – sometimes months later. Immediately after the first war it had been needed – the Aurors were overwhelmed with suspects, so those with the mark we secured in the prison to make room for unmarked suspects in the less ... horrifying ministry holding cells.

These days that was unnecessary – there was plenty of room in holding. But Aurors had been known to bring that little fact up when grilling a marked suspect. From Rufus' smugly vindictive expression, he intended Lucius to make to acquaintance of the Dementors.

Lucius looked over at Severus, who was obviously torn between guarding Harry and Tom and helping his old friend. Lucius shook his head minutely and twitched his hand, letting Severus see the corner of a parchment – one of his portkeys.

Severus relaxed – Lucius had no intention of vacationing at Azkaban. Lucius nodded slightly at Draco and Dudley and Severus nodded faintly. He would guard Draco as his own, as well as Dudley – just as he had been. Severus' hands came down on the two boys shoulders as they started to protest – as the enormity of the situation began to dawn on them.

"Let your father handle this, Draco." Severus intoned. "He knows what he is doing, Dudley."

The boys quieted, but watched anxiously as the Aurors moved forward.

Rufus waved an arm and the two nameless Aurors walked out of the infirmary, followed by Lucius with a triumphant Rufus and a worried Hugo following behind him.

They got to the gates and Rufus pulled out a portkey. Lucius just smiled faintly and said, "Thank you, I have my own." He gripped his portkey and muttered the activation phrase 'Tuney' and disappeared.

Hugo's troubled countenence cleared a bit as he listened to Rufus shout in fury.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Lucius arrived at Malfoy Manor and shouted the codes to lock the place down completely. Nothing could get in or out, and it was just short of fidelus in secrecy.

He unlocked one floo and shouted for his Head Lawyer. The explanation was lengthy, but Angus Essex was undismayed. Things with the Malfoys were going to get interesting, again, then. "So you are a fugitive from justice, then?"

"Why, no, Angus – I'm not." Lucius smirked at the lawyers confusion. "Rufus said he needed to speak with me at the ministry – he never said I was under arrest. I'm just delaying the ... questioning until it's somewhere not likely to be Azkaban."

Angus slowly smiled in response – yes, he could work with that.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z