Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Flying Car

Errol, though very old, was still swift. Since Percy's owl had taken up much of the long-distance, usual mail during the summer, Errol was feeling quite fresh. The little jaunt to Surrey had been quite enjoyable, though the boy had looked quite frantic and pressed him to take to message from him straight back to Ron "or anyone at the Burrow".

Ron it would be, then, Errol thought.

Ron was at the lunch table when Errol arrived, knocking over a glass of juice on Draco, making him snarl an insult he wouldn't have dared if there had been an adult within earshot. He and Harry were spending a few days at the Burrow, to Molly's delight, as Severus and Lucius were setting up their classrooms. Severus could have done his within hours, but Lucius was 'completely overhauling things', so it would take days, likely.

Severus, Tom and to his delight – Percy had all been drafted. Tom was going to be apprecticing with Kettleburn, along with Heather Black – but he was told by Yuan to also 'assist with the History of Magic' overhaul as it would be good experience.

Rosmerta, Petunia and Eleanor Prince had all gone over to Italy to raid a fashion house. They would have gone straight to Paris, but they decided the risk of running into Narcissa was too great and that would have spoiled everything. They were planning a big party to celebrate all three of them now being 'engaged to be married'. It was belated on Rosmerta and Petunia's part, but not unheard of.

The party would not be until later in the fall – but to have spectacular dress robes one could not start soon enough. This would likely take several days and they were looking forward to exploring the city of Venice just a bit.

They had offered to take Draco and Harry along and they had been tempted until they heard something about shopping for clothing and suddenly the Burrow sounded wonderful. The Quidditch pitch was not "standard", the lake not as interesting as their pool or the sea. It was noisey, but even Draco had to admit they were having fun.

There was something very warm and comforting about the burrow. Harry and even Draco responded to that. Draco had whispered it reminded him of 'Tuney's Spinners End house. Harry still prefered his quieter Dragonsrest, but he didn't mind it here now that there was no chance Dumbledore would try to trap him into staying for good.

The twins, of course kept it fun, but they were spending an overnight at the Diggory's ... again. The Diggorys lived less than a mile away. Harry thought it had to do with Quidditch. Cedric had been the reserve Seeker last year, but everyone knew he was moving up, now the other Seeker had graduated. The twins had lots of strategy they wanted to try out as Beaters – Dudley had told them about tricks a team called "The Harlem Globetrotters" used in their game of "Basketball" and it sounded they were just their sort of pranksters.

Draco silently wondered if they were plotting to make Timothy Hopkirk and his bullying mates more miserable this year.

Ginny was spending a few days with the Fawcetts, who also lived nearby. Sandra Fawcett was starting Hogwarts as well, and they were planning whatever eleven year old girls plan. Ginny had hesitated to go – after all both Harry and Draco were there, but she found herself inexplicably shy in their presence and here stuttering answers to questions and blushes made her brothers snicker. The look of boredom in Draco's eyes and Harry's indifference had convinced her it was best to wait until school to try and impress them.

Molly and Arthur had left for a lunch with some of Arthur's co-workers and some last minute paperwork before a huge Ministry banquet. It was the yearly self-congratulatory event where some inner-ministry awards were given for 'productivity and improvements'. They always acknowledged people who had advanced – so Arthur would be mentioned several times, making Molly feel rather smug.

The ministry liked to make alot of announcements at the same time, as much of the ministry would be present. There was likely to be alot of speech making and others with their own axes to grind that would take advantage of the captive audience. Molly and Arthur had warned them they would be back "very late" and to contact the Fawcetts if they needed anything before they apparated away.

Molly had fussed a bit, but they had all insisted that they could look after themselves for one evening. Molly had a cassarole in the oven that they only needed to remove and eat for supper. She still wasn't happy about three twelve – year olds being alone for any length of time, but the area was well-warded. The worst that might happen was an indoor Quidditch game ... the twins had tried that once when they'd been left alone.

Ron was re-reading the letter out loud to the enraged Harry and Draco when Neville arrived, unnanounced. He'd been a bit bored and decided to sneak over. Now he was glad he had. He'd spent far to much time holed up in his room brooding over things to Callidora. He still fumed over the dressing down he'd gotten from Sinistra. He'd tried to reassure Hermione by letter that they hadn't been completely wrong in trying to safeguard the Stone.

Ron greeted Neville with mixed feelings. He was always glad to see his best friend, but Neville was always, at best, distantly neutral to Harry and Draco. Ron had managed to pound out the beginnings of a friendship with the two Slytherins, though he suspected he insulted or irritated them a dozen times an hour without ever realizing it.

The Slytherin pair had been fun guests, so far and Ron very much wanted to keep it that way – if only to please his friend, Dudley. After all, Neville might be his best friend, but Dudley was his closest friend in Gryffindor House.

Neville bustled over to the kitched table. A plot had sprung to mind and he planned to enact it if possible.

"You have to rescue him, of course." Neville said immediately and earnestly. "If she's holding him prisoner ... who knows what else she's done to him that he's not mentioning to us?"

Harry's eye's flew open and he looked stricken. His memory flooded with thoughts of hunger ... sitting alone in the dark – what if Dudley was in Harry's old cupboard, or the damp basement with no food.

Draco paled as well and grabbed Harry's arm in agitation. "We have to get him out of there right away!" He'd heard just enough snatches of conversation to know how Marge's brother had treated Harry, he couldn't stand the thought of Dudley being treated in that manner.

"Can't your father just go fetch him?" Ron was concerned, but not panicked by the letter.

"Courts don't like to move kids from schools where they are 'established', they feel it is 'disruptive' for them. Lucius would likely win, eventually, but he'd be late to Hogwarts." Harry said slowly. Maybe he had it wrong, but he'd often heard classmates at the muggle school complaining about their parents pulling them back and forth between them.

"If my mum had manged to snatch me at the station, Dad might still be trying to get me back. As it is the lawyers argued for weeks and Dad gave her more money to shut her up." Draco said.

"Do you really want Mr. Malfoy or Professor Snape fetching Dudley?" Neville put in slyly. "After all if she insults or fights them ... what if they lose their tempers and hex her? Lucius only just escaped Azkaban as it is ...

Draco stiffened. He still had nightmares that Dad had ended up there, and visiting a vacant-eyed husk instead of his energetic father. Harry frowned as well. He was sure that his Dad could hold his temper ... if he wanted to. However, he might not be able to resist getting a bit of revenge on Marge if the opportunity presented ... and then there was Tom.

Harry knew that Tom was no longer on any path that would lead him to torturing or killing muggles indiscriminately. But if Marge was harming Dudley ... would seeing that set him back – make him think that his other self maybe had a point about a few things?

It really would be better to have Dudley safe and sound here at the Burrow when Lucius and Severus came to fetch them, Harry decided. They would likely get scolded, but there would be no arrests or arraignments.

"But how can we do that? ... rescue him, I mean?" Ron asked in frustration.

Neville smiled in satisfaction and cleared his throat, nodding his head toward the front yard. The other three turned and looked.

Aah, the enchanted car.

Ron lit up immediately. "I know how to drive that!" He exclaimed, brightly. "Dad showed us how everything works – even the invisibility - and he let me steer with his help once." Draco nodded in excited agreement.

Harry was more doubtful. "But ..." He started and trailed off. Surely there was a better way – "Could we floo to the Leakey? ... There must be a bus to Surrey ..." He trailed off again. If only he knew more about how to get around without apparating or portkeys or floos.

Ron shook his head. Draco grumbled "If only Dudley could have taken a portkey with him. He said Marge has started searching his belongings ... she would have found it, he said she'd have taken one look at parchment covered in old Rune symbols and insisted we were members of a cult."

Ron snickered and Neville shifted impatiently. "Are you not wanting to rescue your muggle cousin, Harry?" Neville asked with a bit of accusation.

Harry's eyes cut to Neville in anger, but Draco leaped in. "Of course we're wanting to rescue him – and we're leaving right now." He stood and dragged Ron and Harry up. "If we leave now we'll be back before Ron's parents. They might assume he got dropped off by dad and not even asked questions."

Harry rolled his eyes at the straws Draco was grasping at, but Ron nodded eagerly.

Neville wished them luck with a satisfied smile and went back to his home, sure that Draco and Harry would be in serious trouble for this bit of madness. An illegal car – underage wizards, it could all go so very wrong so easily. Hopefully Ron would not get in too much trouble ... just Harry and Draco.

Half way to the car Harry said, "Wait we need food – its a long trip ... and someone find a map."

Draco went to get his own big atlas from his trunk and Ron went for food. Harry grabbed a parchment and whistled for Hedwig. He scribbled as quick as he could.

Dad,

Marge is putting Dud in Smeltings in the morning. We're taking Mr Weasley's enchanted car to get him.

It's likely a stupid idea, but Ron and Draco are determined ... and I guess I am too – I know

how awful Marge can be. I can't bear the thought that he might be hurt and I just sat around

waiting for someone else to help him. If it all goes tits-up we'll make for the Leakey Cauldron.

Love (and apologies),

Harry

He whispered, "Take this to Dad as soon as possible, girl." Hedwig nibbled his fingers and warbled happily, winging off into the afternoon. Harry felt better after the letter. It would take hours and hours for Hedwig to get there – hopefully they would be safely back at the Burrow by then. He wished they could just firecall Hogwarts, but all the floo's were blocked during the summer. The Headmaster's might be open – but he wasn't there this week – he was wrapping up as many Wizengamot problems as possible before the school opened.

Harry made it to the car with the others and they took off in the car with barely a bobble, invisibility in place. Draco took over navigation pointing the way to go, a crusading look in his eyes.

Harry shook his head, suddenly certain that if Draco hadn't been brainwashing himself for eleven years before Hogwarts into being the perfect Slytherin ... he might just have been a Gryffindor.

The trip was uneventful, and they arrived to Privet Drive as darkness had fallen. They turned the invisibility off when they got into the back garden. The headlights shone into Dudley's room, past the iron bars on the window. Dudley's awe-struck face soon appeared and Draco happily grinned at him.

"We're here to rescue you!" Draco burst out happily. Harry gave him a sheepish grin and shrugged. Ron handed Dudley a grappling hook they had attached to the back of the car. Dudley attached it to one side of the bars and the car took off and came to a sudden grinding stop, jolting the boys. The bars had been very well made and mostly had held.

The car was shuddering and making alarming grinding noises. Dudley said, "Part of one side is pulled away – but not enough for me to squeeze through." Dudley was no longer fat, but his husky size and build would never be considered small, either. Ron and Draco looked alarmed and hesitant.

Harry rallied quickly, though. "Draco, you can fit through – help Dudley find the keys and get out of there – even if Marge sees you – just get him out. Ron – get this heap parked out front before it falls out of the sky."

Draco scrambled quickly through the space and Ron maneuvered the faltering vehicle around the house and landed on the street with a screeching crunch. Ron and Harry scrambled out and stood by the car uncertainly. Ron gathered up a the bag of food and the atlas, hoping they wouldn't have walk.

Harry carefully considered how much money he had. All of it was wizard money. The door to the house burst out and a wild-eyed Draco ran out, followed by Dudley. Screaming could be heard, and they all assumed Marge would be not far behind.

They raced down the street and turned a few corners before stopping, panting under a street lamp. "What, now?" Ron asked, and they all turned hopefully to Harry.

Harry was doubly glad he'd sent the letter with Hedwig. "Have any of you heard of the Knight Bus?" He asked. Dad had told him about the vehicle – mostly to tell him it was only slightly better than muggle hitch-hiking and if he was desperate enough to use it ... to keep his wand at the ready at all times.

Ron yelped, "It's full of perverts and low-lifes."

Draco looked even more alarmed. "It's ... filthy inside. I'll have to burn my clothes afterwards."

Dudley just looked resigned. "How do you get on?"

Harry trudged to the curb and lifted his wand high, and a purple bus blurred into existence, stopping just in front of them.

A hulking mass came out, squinting at them and sold them tickets after Harry and Draco sorted through their coins. They got on the bus with Draco hissing "...vagrants and vagabonds ..." When Harry came to a sudden astonished halt.

A surprised Remus Lupin stood at the sight of them. "See ... I told you ..." Draco muttered into Harry's ear, making him grin.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z

Severus, Lucius, Tom and Percy were in the Slytherin common room, debating whether they still had time to change or add to the text in use. They all agreed that the text had been excellent, but Bathilda's book really needed updating.

They had decided that perhaps a supplement would work. Adrian Pucey had been owled and he was searching through his own books to see what he would recomend. Lucius had dug up a copy of the study schedule that a Ravenclaw had made out for other students to follow "if they wanted to pass". Draco had had a copy, but refused to relinquish it, Dudley had let him have his, reluctantly admitting that Hermione would let him know "what to be studying that week" anyway.

Lucius reluctantly admitted it was an excellent tool, and they ended up just expanding on that as a course syllabus for the moment, and Lucius planned to spend the school year going over it with Pucey, line by line before turning him loose alone as a teacher.

The Board of Governors had had mixed feelings about Lucius' appointment. While Lucius was 'free' as as teacher – saving them considerable money, some of them were still a bit suspicious of his reasons for agreeing. They rightfully felt he had an agenda.

Lucius had decided at the Governor's meeting to be as forthcoming as he felt was safe. The Governor's were, for the most part, on Albus' side – supporting the Light. There were one or two that, while they despised Voldemort, were purebloods who would be just as happy to see fewer muggleborns at Hogwarts.

Lucius had reassured them that while he intended to 'bring the course up to speed, he had no intention of trying to rewrite history'. In a moment of brilliance, Lucius thought, he'd brought up the Ravenclaw study guide – all the Governors were familiar with it, some of them were young enough to have even used it – and said he intended to, at least initially, use that as the syllabus. The Governor gave a collective sigh of relief, and Albus twinkled annoyingly and welcomed him to the teaching staff.

Lucius leafed through a few more books. The first four year groups were easier – they had time to give them the information they needed. The others, especially the seventh years they would need to hurry with.

Tom and Percy was insistant that the HOM class was the one they could use to introduce the muggleborns to the magical world with. As it was most of them only saw Hogwarts and Diagon Alley and never really realized there was so much more to it.

Lucius had known why Dippet had removed the Wizarding Culture classes, the way they were taught was patronizing and just made the muggleborns want to leave the wizarding world even more. However they should have been replaced with something better when Dumbledore took over.

They were interupted by a distant banging and hooting. Severus frowned, "There is an owl at the upper windows." He hurried up the circular stairs to the ground level windows that were at the very top of the dorm. He felt a little concerned when he saw Hedwig there. He opened the window and she hopped onto the sill.

Severus read the short missive with increasing panic and charged down the stairs with a snarl about Slytherins who insisted on heroics. Lucius stood in alarm at the sight of him and Severus shoved the letter to him as he strode past.

The others followed him, Lucius reading the note as he jogged to keep up. He bellowed something that sounded like a mix of 'Muggle' or 'Marge' or maybe 'the bitch'. He shoved the note to Tom and Percy and hurried to catch up with Severus. They stumbled down the path toward the gates while Tom and Percy tried to read the note and not trip over the rocks.

They made it to the gates and Tom hissed, "She's trying to keep him?" Yvane was trying half-heartedly to calm him, but Yvane was angry, too. The theft of eggs or dragonets was one of the few things that could stir a dragon into running amok.

Severus glanced at Tom's set features and decided that putting him and Marge in the same area was unwise. Controlling his own anger and Lucius' would be quite enough.

"Tom, she cannot hope to keep Dudley, but we'd like to get him – and the others - back as quietly as possible." Severus said as quietly as he could. "I need you and Percy to go to the Burrow and wait. Lucius and I will look at Privet Drive and the Leakey. We'll firecall you there if we haven't found them as yet." Severus put a hand up to forestall their protests. "We need someone there, in case they do make it home as planned."

Tom and Percy reluctantly nodded. Tom grabbed Percy's arm and side-alonged him to the Burrow. It was a small strain, but apparition was something he'd made himself learn in his old life as soon as he knew of it, and his magical strength made side-along easy once he knew the trick of it.

They looked around, but as the car was still gone they knew the boys were still out. They settled with some tea and and the still warming cassarole to wait.

Lucius and Severus apparated to Privet drive and changed their clothing to mugglish. There was a police cruiser in front of Marge's house, and many of the neighbors had their lights on and their were faces peeking out in curiosity. Severus cast a strong eavesdropping charm on the house and they were soon treated to a loud, drunken tale of how Dudley had been kidnapped by his freakish cousin and two other 'hooligans'.

"They ran off down the street, and I couldn't catch them." Marge wailed.

Severus eyed the battered blue car still sitting in front of the house. It looked inoperable.

"I'll send the lawyers for it." Lucius promised. Gleeful at the idea of rescuing Arthur's reputation. He could already imagine a lofty harangue he could give Arthur about having charmed muggle artifacts left lying all around England.

"Well, they obviously aren't here. I imagine they caught the Knight Bus." Severus said reluctantly. They both cringed at the thought of the uncouth characters the boys were likely being subjected to.

They apparated to the Leaky and ordered some drinks and crisps. "We could summon the Knight Bus, overselves." Lucius said reluctantly.

"There could be two or three of them, depending on demand. We likely won't get the right one. They shouldn't be long – the Leaky is a common destination." Severus muttered.

They heard a bang outside and stood, hoping it was the bus. Soon four dejected looking boys trooped in with a lecturing werewolf right behind them. The boys looked at Lucius and Severus in trepidation. Severus sighed, but in the face of Lupin, he would not be lecturing Harry, so he just lifted an arm and Harry raced to hug him in relief.

Lucius did the same and Dudley and Draco eagerly recieved hugs as well. Ron sighed in relief as well. He'd dreaded faced these two, once Harry told them he'd owled Severus. Remus had grimaced and said that had been wise of Harry.

The Leaky's ower - Tom had fired up the kitchen when he realized he had a few more customers – hungry looking boys, at that. Lucius ordered bowls of stew and loaves of the excellent crusty bread for everyone – including Lupin.

Severus borrowed the floo and let Tom and Percy know the boys were found, and they would be bringing them to the Burrow soon.

Severus and Lucius had silently acknowledged to each other that the boys had been safer under Lupin's eye than alone, so a good meal would not be a bad thing. Severus looked Lupin over. He was looking less ragged than when he'd first reappeared. Life working for the Order at cursebreaking and living at the 'Were-houses' among the pack was doing him good, obviously. His clothing was not expensive, but was new and he looked well-fed.

Draco caught his attention by declaring. "I had to battle a troll to get Dudley out of the house."

Dudley rolled his eyes and Lupin and Harry snickered – they'd already heard this. "I told you that was my Aunt Marge – her hair was in rollers and she had a green beauty mask on. I can't believe you screamed 'Troll!' when you saw her."

"I didn't scream ... I shouted." Draco hissed.

Dudley chortled. "You screamed like a girl." Luckily Lucius was sitting between them and punches could not be exchanged.

"Gentlemen ... you can settle this later." Lucius' icy response subdued them both ... they were in enough trouble, they felt.

"It is, in fact, almost midnight. We need to get you to the Burrow." Severus intoned. The boys nodded and one by one went throught the floo with Lucius following them.

Severus turned to the wary Lupin. "I was quite worried when I realized the boys had likely resorted to the Knight Bus. I'm glad you were there to watch over them." Severus hated to owe Lupin anything, but the debt should be acknowledged, none the less.

Lupin nodded. It was the perfect chance to say '...well, after all, he's James' son ... such things are to be expected.' But remarks like that weren't really welcomed – even by Harry. Lupin had listened to enough lectures from Albus to know he needed to change tactics.

"I'm glad I was there to look after them. They're good lads." Lupin managed a fond smile.

Severus nodded shortly and went through the floo as well. The boys were facing a glowering Percy and Tom, who obviously were displeased with their various siblings and friends.

Severus smirked. "Well, lads, it is time for bed." All four looked very relieved. "We'll be going to Diagon Alley in the afternoon, but in the morning ... right after breakfast you will be going over your little adventure moment by moment with Percy and Tom. They can tell you every mistake you made and what move you could have made that would have been better." The boys looked less relieved now, and Tom and Percy had malevolent grins on their faces.

Lucius turned to Tom and Percy. "Let Arthur and Molly know what happened – but don't make a big deal of it. Tell Arthur I'll talk to him at Diagon Alley." They nodded and shooed the boys upstairs after a last hug was given.

"Are you really mad at me?" Harry asked into the folds of black cloth.

"I do understand your reasons, Harry. I just need to teach you better strategy." Severus answered back into the messy hair. All was well at the moment, and he had feared losing him to the Dark Lord's attack too recently to be truly angry at him. A harangue from Tom and Percy would be enough punishment.

Lucius and Severus left after the boys were shooed upstairs, sighing in resignation at another 'adventure' that the 'Three Slytherin Marauder's' had once again survived. Severus and Lucius had sneered just a bit at their name, but at least they intended to behave as Slytherins.

Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z~Z