Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 1

July 31, 1979

Severus Snape had no idea why Lily, his Lily, wished to see him. He hoped that she hadn’t gotten hurt by anything that Black and Lupin were doing. When he entered St. Mungo he at once asked for Lily Potter and the woman told him where to go.

“Thanks,” Severus said, though he really didn’t mean it.

When he entered the room he saw that it was devoid of Potter, Lupin, and Black and so Severus didn’t have to worry about any of them coming around the corner and hexing him. Lily smiled at him when she saw him and he returned it.

“I want you to meet someone,” Lily told him and that’s when he noticed the baby in her arms.

The boy had just been born but he had short black hair, a pale complexion, and had Lily nose. Nothing about him indicated that James was even in his genes.

“Lily does-.”

“No,” Lily answered, “And he’ll never find out. Sev, I know that we fell out as friends and the one night that you were with me has given me a son. I’ll never forget what you did but James must never find out that you’re the father. It would kill him.”

Severus didn’t mind a small reminder of him around but he didn’t want Lily to get hurt.

“What do you want me to do?” Severus asked.

“If something should happen to us then I want you to take care of your son,” Lily told him. “I want him to grow up surrounded by magic but I don’t want him to believe that he’s better then everyone else. I don’t him to become another Malfoy.”

Severus wouldn’t want his son to be another Malfoy for all the money in the world.

“I promise that I’ll take care of our son if something should happen,” Severus vowed

Lily smiled at him. “Thanks but I think you better go. I know that Black will be back soon.”

Severus nodded, and kissing his son and Lily goodbye, he left.

The next night there was a raid on a small village near London. Muggles by the dozens were all killed and when the last Death Eater left Severus looked around, ready to kill any muggle that remained. Naturally Severus was getting tired of killing people just because they didn’t have any magic or killing muggleborns that everyone else thought had no right to live. He entered one abandoned house and heard the soft cries of a baby. Going to it he saw a small baby girl crying, and when he picked her up she stopped.

She had brown hair and brown eyes and it looked as though her parents had just brought her home from the hospital. It reminded him of his son and he knew that the Dark Lord must never find out that he let one muggle live. If this child had magic then she would be enrolled at Hogwarts, learn, and make him proud.

“Come on, I’m taking you home,” he told the baby girl and both of them left.

He named the girl Hermione, after an aunt that he once had, and he loved her greatly. He used various different kinds of charms to keep her location a secret and when he heard the prophecy he naturally went to the Dark Lord and told him the bit that he knew. It was only later that he discovered that the Dark Lord intended on going after the Potters.

“Please, let the mother live,” Severus begged.

“And why should I?” Voldemort asked.

“Because I’ve never asked for anything in my life,” Severus told him.

“I’ll think about it,” Voldemort told him and Severus knew that was a lie.

So he went to Dumbledore, the only man that Voldemort ever feared. Dumbledore didn’t trust him and Severus didn’t blame him, he didn’t even trust himself.

“And did Voldemort send you here?” Dumbledore asked.

“No, I’ve come on my own accord,” Severus answered. “Dumbledore, please you have to warn the Potters that the Dark Lord wants them dead.”

“Then I’ll warn them but you must do something for me in return,” Dumbledore told Severus.

“Anything,” Severus said.

“You must spy for me,” Dumbledore told him. “Find out what you know about what Tom is planning and then relay that to me.”

“I will, as long as Lily is safe,” Severus told him.

“And what about the boy and his father,” Dumbledore asked.

“Them too,” Severus said.

“Very well,” Dumbledore said.

October 31, 1980

However the Potter’s didn’t live and when the charm went off Severus left one-year-old Hermione with the family house elf. He raced to the Potter’s house to find it in ruins and a very distraught Sirius Black. Severus at once hexed him and he fell to the ground.

“What happened?” Severus demanded.

“Peter, Peter betrayed us all,” Sirius moaned. “I’m going after him, I’ll kill him.”

“Don’t be crazy, Black,” Severus told him. “If Peter did betray the Potters then he’s got a plan to make sure that someone is framed. You’ll do no one any good in Azkaban. Now where’s the boy?”

“Why should you care?” Sirius asked.

“Because I do have a heart, despite what people think,” Severus told him. “Now where’s the baby at?”

“Hagrid took him to be sent to live with the Dursley’s, Dumbledore’s orders,” Sirius told him.

“Then we have to get Harry back,” Severus told him.

Sirius stared at him in complete shock. “Are you nuts? Dumbledore will have all sorts of tracking charms on him just in-case he’s taken.”

“Then I guess we’ll have to be just a little nuts,” Severus told him. “Do you want your godson to be raised by muggles that I know, from experience, will treat him like a piece of dirt?”

“Of course not,” Sirius said.

“Then we’re taking him and I’ll figure out a way of removing the Tracking Charms,” Severus told him.

Both Severus and Sirius appeared on Privet Drive and watched Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Hagrid leaving. When he was sure that no one was around both men raced to the Dursley house, which at once revealed how heavily warded they were. However Severus knew blood wards well and told Sirius to stay back.

“Why?”

“Because they won’t let anyone in that isn’t blood related to Harry,” Severus told him.

“Then you can’t get through,” Sirius told him.

Severus gave him a grin. “Oh you’ll be surprised at what I can do,” he told Sirius and then walked right through the wards since he was blood related to Harry.

He picked Harry up and held him. This was the first time, in over a year, that he had even seen his son. He turned and walked right through the wards again and brought Harry to Sirius.

“Let’s get out of here before someone from the Ministry comes a calling,” Severus told Sirius and both men left.

They appeared at Severus manor and Severus called a house elf at once to take Harry up to his new room, the one that he would share with Hermione. He then wrote a note to Remus, asking him to come and have a small chat with him. Once the owl had left Sirius spoke.

“How were you able to get Harry out from under blood wards?” Sirius asked.

“I’m not going to tell you because if I did then you would hex me and the pain of losing people is too fresh to make it an even fight,” Severus told him.

Sirius considered this for a moment and then said, “Okay, I promise not to hex you but I want to know how you were able to do it.”

“Fine, I’m blood related to Harry,” Severus told him. “I’m his father!”

Sirius stared at him and then sat down. “Oh God, did James know?”

“No, Lily made sure of it,” Severus told him. “And I’m glad that I am. If I wasn’t related to him then I wouldn’t of been able to rescue him from what I know would have been abuse. Harry needs love, not someone calling him names like Petunia called Lily.”

“Does Remus know?”

“No and that’s why I need him,” Severus told Sirius. “I know that you and James were Animagi and I need both of you to keep secret that Harry is living with me. Dumbledore is sure to take him away from me so that he can live with his family. Also your still Harry’s godfather, I’m not taking away his mum’s friends just because we didn’t hit if off at school.”

Sirius looked at him. “How can you let me be his godfather after what I did?”

“Because we were all young and stupid,” Severus said. “And I was stupid to join the Dark Lord and take part in what he did. I’m now working for Dumbledore as Potions Master and I intend on making sure that Harry is the smartest student there.”

“Fine but no Dark Arts,” Sirius said.

“None, heck I don’t want to turn him into another Malfoy,” Severus said. “That was what I also promised Lily, along with taking care of my son and that little girl that I saved from death.”

“Little girl,” Sirius said blankly.

“Yes, little girl, her name is Hermione Snape and she’s a witch,” Severus told him. “A muggleborn witch but a witch none the less.”

Sirius seemed a little shocked that Severus would take in a muggleborn witch but Severus wasn’t shocked at his actions. Just then Remus appeared, looking a little confused. He saw Sirius and went over to him.

“Sirius, I heard that the Potters are dead,” Remus told him. “And that Harry’s off living with muggles.”

“He’s not,” Severus said and Remus jumped. “He’s living with me and Hermione.”

“Hermione,” Remus said blankly.

“A muggleborn witch that Snape saved,” Sirius told him.

“She’s the same age as Harry and I know they’ll hit it off,” Severus told Remus. “I was just telling Sirius that he can remain Harry’s godfather and you can visit, if you wish.”

“But I thought you hated us,” Remus said.

“No, but I don’t want that to get around,” Severus told him. “It might ruin my reputation.”

Sirius barked with laughter and both Severus and Remus grinned.

Over the next several years Harry and Hermione grew up together. Remus and Sirius came over when they could to make sure that Harry was alright. Even Sirius had to admit that Hermione was very smart but it was Harry that was learning almost as much as Hermione was. Severus got Harry and Hermione training wands and he taught them everything that they would be learning during their first year when they were just six.

They also learned Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Astronomy, and even Potions. By time Harry and Hermione were nine they knew everything about wizard history and Severus had to admit that Harry and Hermione weren’t going to be bad in the Potions classroom. Of course what helped was the fact that the tracking charms were gone and both of them were absent from the Ministry and even from Dumbledore.

Of course that hadn’t stopped Dumbledore from wondering where Harry was and he even told Severus that he hoped that Harry was safe.

“I’m sure that golden boy is fine,” Severus commented, faking his hate.

“He better be,” Dumbledore said.

When Harry and Hermione got their letters when the owls delivered them Remus and Sirius were there, visiting. Severus popped his head in and waved the letters. At once Harry and Hermione raced to get theirs.

“We got accepted!” Hermione squealed in delight, reading hers.

“Well we knew our Hermione would get in,” Sirius commented.

“Hay, what about me,” Harry complained.

“You too,” Sirius said, ruffling his hair.

“Well I think that we all need to go to Diagon Alley to get your things,” Severus told them which earned a round of cheers. “Want to come Lupin and Black?”

“I can’t, tonight is you know what,” Remus told them.

“Oh come on, Remus, it’s not like the whole thing is going to take all day and night,” Sirius said. “Our godchildren are getting their things.

“Fine,” Remus said. “But I want that potion of yours, Severus, when we get back.”

“Done,” Severus said.

Both Harry and Hermione wrote back to Hogwarts, telling them that they would come, and then they flooed to the Leaky Cauldron. When they arrived Severus cast a simple cleaning spell and both siblings were clean as before they went through the floo. Severus managed to get them past all the people and finally into Diagon Alley.

“Lets get to the bank and get your money and then we’ll get your uniforms,” Severus told his children.

Both Harry and Hermione nodded and the five of them went down the narrow alley to Gringotts.

“So what house are you hoping to get into,” Sirius asked.

“Ravenclaw,” Harry and Hermione both said at the same time.

Sirius looked hurt. “Hay, what about Gryffindor.”

“Sirius, don’t start on that,” Remus warned. “Their too smart for Gryffindor and you know it.”

“Fine, I think I can handle my godchildren being birds,” Sirius said and Severus almost snorted with laughter.

When they entered Gringotts the goblin took them to the Snape and Potter vault. Harry and Severus took some money from both vaults and then they left the bank. In Madam Malkin Robes for All Occasions Madam Malkin and an assistant helped Harry and Hermione onto stools and started to fit them. As they worked Severus looked at pointed hats and shoes.

“I can’t believe their going off to Hogwarts,” Remus commented.

“I know, it only seems yesterday,” Severus mused. “But all little children must grow up.”

“True, but it seems such a shame,” Remus said.

“That I’ll agree with,” Sirius said.

When Harry and Hermione were finished Severus paid for the uniforms and the group left. On their way to getting their trunks Severus ran into Molly Weasley. Severus wasn’t exactly a fan of the Weasley’s because they were made fun of due to the number of children they had. Severus wondered if Molly had ever heard of muggle birth control. He highly doubted that.

“Snape, what are you doing here?” Molly asked, giving him a look that told him that she didn’t like him out and about.

“My children are starting this term,” Severus told her, “Got a problem with that.”

“No but they better stay away from my children,” Molly warned.

“Hay, what’s wrong with Hermione and Harry?” Sirius asked, glaring at her.

Molly turned and faced him, “Nothing; just can’t imagine you hanging out with Snape.”

“I hang out with whomever I want,” Sirius countered. “So leave us alone.”

“Fine,” Molly snapped and she hurried off with her children.

“What’s wrong with her,” Hermione asked.

“Nothing, sweetie,” Remus said. “I think she hates everyone.”

“Well I don’t like her,” Harry said.

“Good boy,” Severus said. “I don’t like her either.”

The rest of the shopping was done without anymore word about Molly Weasley and her children. Naturally Severus got a shock when Ollivander told Harry that his core matched Lord Voldemort’s.

“The Dark Lord,” Harry said. “Why would you even sell me a wand that had the same core as that vial man?”

“Because that’s what I do,” Ollivander told him and he looked at Severus. “I see that you raised him to be a carbon copy of you.”

“Hay, leave daddy alone,” Hermione hissed. “Or I’ll hex you.”

“Like you could,” Ollivander told her.

“Ollivander just let us pay for our wands or I’m sure that Hermione will hex you for insulting me and my son.”

“Fine but I never want to see your children in my shop again,” Ollivander said, taking the money.

“Like there aren’t other wand makers out there,” Severus told him and the group left.

Chapter End Notes:
To Be Continued