Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Ab Intra

As Potter’s eyes fluttered open, Severus suddenly felt afraid of what they would find. Potter blinked a few times trying to focus as Lailie kept up her litany of encouragement.

The boy locked his gaze on her before slowly traveling to Severus and then back again. Severus felt a wave of relief as the familiar emerald returned to look at him.

The feeling disappeared as fast as it had washed over him as Severus saw terror spark in the boy’s eyes. Lailie noticed it too.

“Harry?”

“Potter?”

Then the screaming started.

.

“Get me out! Get away!”

If he’d had the strength, Severus was sure Potter would’ve kicked out at him. He grabbed at flailing arms.

“Potter!

“No!…Get away!”

The boy was absolutely inconsolable.  Tears had welled up in his eyes and whatever words he managed to get out with the little potency he possessed were muffled by heart-wrenching cries that escaped his throat.

Harry thrashed under his grip.  “Please…no more…don’t hurt me!”

He thinks he’s still with the Dark Lord. He thinks I—“Potter.” Severus held tighter to the struggling limbs. “I’m not going to hurt you. Potter, you’re safe. You’re safe!”

Severus couldn’t tell if his words had registered, but Harry stopped fighting him. Tears continued to run down his face. Severus felt his body going slack in his grasp and his eyes began to close.

“Potter?’ Severus gave his shoulders a shake.

Harry’s head lolled to the side. Lailie pulled up an eyelid and Severus could see the white of the boy’s eye.

“He’s passed out.” stated Lailie.  

Obviously. Severus resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He let go of Potter.

“He does not know where he is.” said Severus. “He thinks he is still with the Dark Lord.”

His statement seemed to make Lailie nervous. She bit her lip and wrung her hands together before reaching over and brushing Potter’s fringe off his forehead.

“Something triggered his memory. He must have recognized you.”

Severus nodded. “He must have…”

The cumbersome weight that had settled itself on Severus’ shoulders when he realized that fact became just a little bit heavier. A strange feeling of discomfort wormed its way inside him; Severus felt it twisting in his stomach. If he wasn’t denying it, Severus would have said it was guilt. That the boy connected him with the Dark Lord was not something he fancied.  His dislike for Potter aside, he did not want that association to continue.

Lailie noticed the discomfort on his face and asked, “Were you there?”

Severus’ body betrayed him and he found himself nodding. “The day they brought him in. We were all summoned. The Dark Lord had informed no one of his plan to capture the boy. Needless to say, we were all surprised to find Potter there.” 

.

Whispers filtered through the group as Severus walked in and made his way forwards in the majestic hall. There was an air of excitement hanging around the assembled crowd.

“Is it true?”

“Has he really got him?”

“Is it really—“

“Potter?”

Behind the mask, Severus’ face portrayed one of shock. Potter was on his knees, head bowed. The Dark Lord stood next to him, gazing down at the boy.

He had spared no thought for the precious Boy-Who-Lived since the disastrous end of term but now thoughts of Potter raced round and round in Severus’ head. What happened? How did the boy get here? How was he going to get out?

The Dark Lord raised a pale threatening hand and silence fell. Severus felt his heart beat painfully in his chest.

“Harry Potter.”

The Dark Lord circled him slowly. Black robes hung off his pale body, gliding on the floor behind him. Murmurs flew through the room.

“Silence.” The Dark Lord did not scream, but the menacing hiss was just as effective. Silence fell again. “I’m sure you are all wondering how he came to be here. A pleasant surprise no?” An ominous smile graced the snake-like features. He kneeled down and reached out a hand to the boy. A thin spindly finger stretched forward and raised Harry’s chin.

“Shall we tell them Harry? Hmmm?”

From where he stood, Severus could see Potter’s eyes watering. His features had scrunched up in pain, and he seemed to be biting his lip. The Dark Lord chuckled.

“Cat got your tongue, Harry? Never mind.” He dropped his hand and stood up. He looked at his followers, red eyes gazing over them. “It is no matter.” The ominous smiled was back. “The boy has something I want. Don’t you Harry?”

Potter said nothing. His gaze had reverted to the floor. “Look at me, Harry. You’re not going to help me, are you?” His low voice held a dangerous glint to it.

“No.” Had Severus not been so focused on Potter and seen his lips move, he’d never of known it was him who spoke.

In a fit of fury, red eyes blazing, the Dark Lord kicked out. His foot connected with Harry’s rib cage. The force of the blow sent him sprawling, arms clutching his chest. No one said anything; the heavy breathing of the boy on the floor the only noise that spread through the hall. The Dark Lord knelt on the floor once more and whispered something in Potter’s ear. The boy turned his head away and rolled over onto his side, facing away from the Dark Lord whose expression looked almost apologetic. Then he stood up and Severus wasn’t sure of what he had seen.

“Crucio!”

Severus wanted to close his ears against the yelling but stood there, motionless. He heard someone chuckling behind him.

The Dark Lord finally lifted the curse. Severus felt those around him tense as the Dark Lord clenched his wand tightly in his hand. “McNair! Yaxley! Help our friend to his room. He shall be spending some time with us and we want him to be comfortable, no?”

The two Death Eaters that had been addressed rushed forward. Potter was still conscious, but his body refused to cooperate and they were forced to drag him from the room. The Dark Lord stared after him.

“You’ll want to help me soon enough, Harry. I guarantee that.” He twirled to face his followers. “Dismissed!”

The sound of rustling fabric filled the hall as everyone made to head out to the apparition point. Severus had just reached the door when he was called back. “Severus.”

He placed himself in his chair heavily and beckoned Severus to kneel in front of him.     

“My Lord.” Severus knelt down, kissing the hem of the dark robes.

“My dear, dear Severus.” Cold, thin fingers found their way under Severus’ chin, forcing his gaze upward. The image of the Dark Lord doing the very same thing to Potter moments ago flashed through his mind. Severus’ eyes flickered nervously to the wand being twiddled idly in the other hand.

“You are returning to Hogwarts tonight.”

It wasn’t a question, but Severus felt proclaimed to answer. “Yes, My Lord.”  

“You will see Albus Dumbledore.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

“You shall tell him of this meeting.”

Severus felt trepidation spread through his veins. It was no secret he was a double agent for both Dumbledore and the Dark Lord although he only passed on what he was told to. It never bode well when he was given specific instructions on what to relay.

“If you wish, My Lord.”

“I do, Severus. You shall tell him I have his precious savior. Tell him I have the brat.”

“Yes, My Lord.” He felt the edge of his robes pull along the floor and then something was sliding over his calf.

Nagini slithered around Severus, climbing her way to her master and placing herself around his shoulders. The Dark Lord petted her head fondly, hissing gently.

“That is all Severus. Now go.”

Severus nodded, kissed the hem of his robes once more, and backed away from the Dark Lord. He turned to go, shivering from the feel of Nagini’s cold scales over him. Almost there…
“Severus.”

He turned back around. He was still petting the giant snake, one long spindly finger on her head.

“You will not be coming back.”

Dread pooled in Severus’ stomach. “My Lord?”

“You will relay my message to the old fool and his Order. You are not to come back to me until I send word. Ignore my summons until then. We are moving tonight and you will not know our new location. Dumbledore will have to wait until I get what I want.”

Severus was sure his voice was shaking when he spoke. “Of course, My Lord. As you see fit.”

“You are a liability to me, Severus. Crucio!”

.

“He deemed me a hazard at that moment. The Dark Lord explained to me that my uses outweighed whatever threat I posed to him. He has yet to send for me.”  

Severus didn’t expect Lailie to say anything, and he didn’t want her to speak just yet. He wanted a bit of silence.  Lailie understood and granted him his request. Instead, she took to trying to wake Harry up.

When his eyes opened this time, Severus was prepared. Harry began to thrash, fighting off an invisible enemy. Severus held his arms down again as Harry yelled.

“Please! Help me! Get him out! Please!”

Severus held on tighter, confused as to what the boy was upset about this time around. “Potter. Potter, stop it! Harry!”

The boy stopped moving for a minute and just laid there, his eyes darting around him.

“Wha-…where…please, help me…”

He was somewhat coherent, and Severus wondered if Harry knew anything about the Horcrux. He gave Harry a small shake. “Look at me.”

Wet emerald met obsidian.

“Do you know what’s happening to you?” He wasn’t being specific or very sensitive but Severus didn’t really know how to broach the subject.

Harry nodded, his face scrunching up as more tears leaked out the corners. His voice came out as barely a whisper. “He’s here, he’s in me. Please…” another sob tore through his body.

Severus felt a pull in his chest at hearing Harry. He might not know anything about the Horcrux, but he obviously felt it.

Severus gave him another shake. “Look at me, Potter, look at me.” Harry’s water covered eyes snapped to face him. His face was clouded in pain and Severus could see a phantom redness lurking in their depths. “We’re going to help you.”

Severus turned to glance at Lailie, hoping that she would take over. She nodded at him and reached out to touch Harry’s shoulder. He flinched at the contact but Lailie ignored the movement.

“Harry, my name’s Lailie. Albus Dumbledore asked me to come. We’re going to help you.”

Harry’s eyes darted nervously between her and Severus. A small sob escaped and Lailie brushed away a runaway tear. “Alright? It’s going to be ok.”

Harry’s gaze darted to the door. Severus’ caught a glint of panic build in his eyes as Harry realized he wasn’t in the small room. He began to thrash again and Severus returned his grip to the boy’s shoulders.

“Calm down, Harry. We’re going to help you.” soothed Lailie.

Please…It’s not safe out here.”

“What’s not safe Harry?”

“He’ll find me here.”

“Who’ll find you?” Lailie and Severus exchanged a glance.

“Please… “ Harry’s voice seemed to fade. He inhaled deeply, sounding as if he didn’t have enough air and when he exhaled, it came out as a white mist. Severus noticed Lailie’s breath and his own were coming out in the same way. Then Severus felt the cold.

Frigid, biting cold was crawling its way up his skin, into his bones and by the way Lailie was rubbing at her arms, she felt it too.

“Please…” muttered Harry. Severus looked down at him. Harry’s teeth were chattering and his body was shaking slightly.

“What’s going on?” Severus asked, his own teeth beginning to chatter.

Lailie tried to shrug as a shiver forced its way through her body. “I don’t know.”

Harry’s eyes had once again closed, but he seemed to still be with them. He mumbled incoherently under his breath. “He’s coming…not safe…coming…

Chapter End Notes:
I've got two polls up on my fanfiction account. I'd love if you'd go and check them out, let me know what you guys want.
Thanks!

Laugh. Cry. Review