Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

But There's More In Me Than Thou Understand'st

The next morning, Remus woke early from the deep sleep he had finally fallen into and made his way into the kitchen. Minutes later, Molly Weasley came into the room, followed shortly by her husband.

“Morning, Remus.” He poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down next to Remus as Molly started on breakfast.

“Arthur.” Remus allowed a small smile to grace his features. The three of them began to engage in idle chit-chat as, one by one, the rest of the Weasley brood and Hermione entered the kitchen. The conversation became more animated as the minutes flew by and coffee kicked in. Occasionally Remus caught himself glancing towards the staircase. He had hoped to see Harry coming down the stairs intending to join them for breakfast but the only sight that met him was the dust particles settling from where his feet had disturbed them.

Wishful thinking.

Molly seemed to be able to read his mind and placed a comforting hand on his arm, squeezing gently. “Don’t fret, Remus. He’ll be back to his old self in no time. I’m sure of it.”

“I know, Molly.” He sent a smile her way. “I’m sure as well. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.” Molly gave his arm another small squeeze.

“I don’t care how well they did in the last season, the Cannons are terrible.” Ron was being taunted by the twins for defending his favorite Quidditch team.

“At least their seeker managed to catch the snitch this time.”

“Yeah, because it smacked him in the head!”

“That’s not true!” Ron slammed his fist down on the table.

“It’s a miracle their beaters can tell the bludgers from their own teammates!”

Remus chuckled softly at their antics. On his other side, Hermione and Arthur were engaged in a heated debate about using Muggle devices at Hogwarts. Hermione was currently arguing the negative aspects of having a television set in the common rooms.

“It’s hard enough to get your school work done when you’ve got some 30 odd people walking around. Add a TV and you’d never—Harry!”

Remus’ head shot up. Sure enough, Harry was standing in the doorway. He looked like he’d rather be anywhere else at the moment, but he was there. Remus opened his mouth to say something but Molly cut him off.

“Harry, dear! Why don’t you come and sit with us? Have a spot of breakfast.” Harry glanced at her and slowly made his way over to the table.

“Thank you, Mrs. Weasley.” Molly shoved the twins down a few seats, placing Harry in their stead, across from Remus. An overly full plate of eggs and bacon was put down in front of him. “Tuck in, dear.”

Harry glanced at the plate, reached for a fork, and began eating voraciously.

Remus leaned over the table. “It’s good to see you’ve got your appetite back.”

Harry paused for barely a moment to answer before continuing to eat. “Yeah, well, I’m a growing boy, aren’t I?” Forkful after forkful made its way into his mouth. In a matter of minutes the plate was empty.

“I guess this means you’re feeling better.”

His plate was refilled and Harry once more began eating with gusto. “I’m fine.”

Remus was beginning to get nauseous at how fast the boy was consuming his food.

“Slow down, kiddo.” Harry just kept eating. “You’re going to make yourself sick.” There was a moment in which Harry seemed to think about that before he sped up again.

“Harry…” Molly placed her cup down and glanced at her husband. Arthur caught the silent hint and began shepherding his children and Hermione out of the room.

“But Dad—“

“Not now, Ron. You kids can spend time with Harry later.”

Remus stood up and made his way around to the other side of the table as the last child left the room. Harry had grabbed the serving plate and was currently refilling his plate for the third time.

“Harry, stop eating.” Remus quickly grabbed the fork away. This was getting ridiculous. The boy was eating like he hadn’t seen food in months and Remus really did not want it all to come back up in the next few minutes.

Harry glanced at him and Remus noticed a hint of defiance in his eyes. Without taking his eyes off of Remus’ face, Harry began using his fingers to spoon the food into his mouth, taunting him almost. Remus reached out to pull the plate away as he watched in astonishment. Harry lashed out and grabbed the plate back, smacking Remus across the face.

“Harry!” Molly exclaimed. “What’s gotten into you?” At that point Harry was using both hands to shovel the eggs into his mouth. She reached across the table to pull the plate away as Remus regained his bearings. As Harry made a move to leap across the table at Molly, Remus grabbed him. He held tight as Harry fought him.

“Let me go!”

“Harry, calm down!” He kicked and snarled as Remus twisted with him in his arms. Remus couldn’t believe it. All this over a plate of eggs. Or three plates. “You’re going to make yourself sick if you keep eating like that!”

Harry made one final lunge and almost made it free before he suddenly stopped. Molly looked at him worriedly.

“Remus…”

Remus took advantage of the moment of stillness and turned Harry to face him. The boy had a slight queasy look to him. That was all the warning Remus had before Harry began to retch. Every single egg and piece of bacon that had been consumed in the last few minutes found its way back out.

Remus half-dragged half-carried Harry over to the counter, allowing him to lean over the sink as his stomach continued to heave. His body was fairly convulsing with the power behind each thrust.

“Molly, can you get a stomach calming potion?” Remus glanced over his shoulder. One arm was wrapped around Harry’s waist holding him up as his legs had buckled under him. The other held his forehead making sure his face didn’t end up in the mess forming in the sink.

Molly nodded fervently. “Of course.”

Remus uttered a quick thank you as she rushed out of the room. Harry bucked once more, vomiting the last of his breakfast. With nothing left to sick up, his body began to dry heave.

“Oh, Harry…”

Eventually his body relaxed against Remus. Soft cries rose from the back of his throat as Remus slowly lowered the both of them to the floor, unable to hold Harry’s weight anymore.

“Shhh… it’s all right, everything’s all right...it’s over now.” Quietly summoning a wet washcloth, Remus gently wiped the tears and sweat from Harry’s face. Molly came hurrying back into the room. She knelt down next to them on the floor and soothingly brushed a few of the hairs away that plastered themselves to Harry’s forehead.

“I had to call Poppy for the potion. We’ve none here. She’s sending some over as soon as it’s ready. Severus is refilling the school stocks.”

Remus nodded in understanding. “Thank you, Molly.” Harry shifted in his arms. He had stopped crying and was quietly whimpering. Remus rocked a little, hoping it would sooth him a bit more.

“Remus?” Harry spoke, his voice a notch above a whisper.

“Yes, Harry?”

“I’m sorry…”

Remus let out a heavy sigh. “Don’t worry about it, pup, but what on earth were you thinking? You were acting like a wild person.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” He hesitated. A sob escaped.

“It’s all right, just listen to us next time, ‘kay?” Harry nodded. He turned his head towards Molly as he apologized to her as well.

She smiled at him and grabbed his chin in an affectionate hold. “Don’t you worry yourself over it, sweetheart. Remember that we just want what’s best for you.”

“I will.” He leaned forward. Remus grasped his upper arm and held him steady as he stood.

“Are you feeling better now?”

“I’m a bit nauseous still, but I don’t think I’m going to sick up again.”

“I don’t think you have anything left. Come, let’s go to the den. Hopefully Madam Pomfrey has sent over that potion for you. We don’t want an encore come lunchtime.”

A blush crept up Harry’s neck as the two of them made their way out of the kitchen. Molly stayed behind to clean up the mess, waving Remus off when he said he’d take care of it.

By the time they made their way into the den, the stomach calming draught was indeed waiting for them. Along with the person who delivered it.

“Good morning Severus.” Remus motioned for Harry to lie down on the couch as he greeted the potions master.

“Lupin. The matron asked that I make this and bring it over. She was quite insistent.” He held out the tiny bottle. Lupin took it gratefully and gave it to the boy who downed it quickly. Relief spread over his features and he relaxed into the cushions.

“Thank you very much, Severus.”

Nodding his head in acceptance of the gratitude, Severus asked “Might I inquire as to what was so urgent?”

“Not urgent so much as imperative.” Lupin pulled the coverlet that was thrown over the back of the couch and draped it over Harry, whispering that he should just rest. A barely perceptible nod showed he had heard him.

Severus scanned the pale boy lying on the sofa and then looked back at Lupin for a continuation. The wolf stood up from the couch and came to stand next to him. “Just a case of too much too soon.” Making eye contact, Severus was quickly able to replay the events of that morning, raising an eyebrow as he finished.

“Indeed.”

Not eating one day and stuffing his face the next, it was no wonder the boy had made himself sick. But it was the utter insubordination Potter had shown Lupin that interested him.

Something squirmed in the back of his mind as he followed Lupin out of the room, closing the door behind them. That look on Potter’s face…

It wasn’t just the look that has Severus bothered. It was the boy’s entire mannerism. He was being reticent and audacious at the same time. As if he had something he needed to prove. But Severus couldn’t tell what. Something had changed with the boy from the moment he had been brought back. First the Occlumency. Now this. Not to mention the scene from the other day.

A voice in the back of his head nagged at him.

You know what it is.

Could it be though, could the boy really be possessed? The headmaster would most likely thrash him if he brought it up again, regardless of the measures he was taking at this very moment.

Molly Weasley was bustling around the kitchen still cleaning up from breakfast. Lupin was sitting at the table, nursing his cup of tea. Severus held his own, courtesy of the woman as well.

Molly finished up and turned to Remus. “I’ll go check on Harry for you.”

“Would you, Molly? Thank you.” Once she had retreated from the room, Severus looked over at Remus.

“Have you notified the headmaster yet?”

“No. I probably should do that now.”

Severus nodded and stood to follow him out of the room, back to the fireplace. Molly was walking towards them.

“Harry’s not in the living room. I checked the den as well and he’s not there either.”

“He’s probably gone back to his room to—“

A shrill shout broke through the air. Severus and Remus exchanged a swift apprehensive look before they both pulled out their wands and sprinted towards the staircase.

“What is it? What’s going on?” Remus asked, out of breath from their run. A pack had formed outside the upper level bathroom. There was a sharp tangy smell permeating the area.

“That’s blood.” Remus urgently whispered to Severus. Pushing the children out of their way, they entered the bathroom.

Blood was splattered in all directions across the porcelain tiles. Someone had tried writing something on the mirror above the sink. It reminded Severus eerily of three years ago.

“HEL—“

It was printed on an angle, as if the person had been straining to get up, or falling down. There was a swipe of blood leading from the edge of the mirror, onto the rim of the sink and down onto the floor. The urge to gag at the sight was almost unbearable. Arthur, who had come from the opposite direction, was busy questioning the children.

“I don’t know, Mr. Weasley; I just found it like this.”

“Are any of you hurt?”

Murmurs of “no” flitted through the group. Remus did a quick head count.

Three, four, five, six--…There are supposed to be six…

“Harry…”