Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

More Answers and Bad News

"Henry, its not worth it!" Harry shouted as he tried to stop Henry but Henry managed to punch Draco in the eye before Harry managed to break up the fight before it got worse.

"Let go of me! You heard what he said!" Henry protested while Draco decided if he should run to Severus or to watch Harry and Henry fight over fighting.

"What is going on up there? You better not be fighting!" they heard Severus shout as they heard footsteps coming up the stairs. It was a few seconds before an angry Severus was in the doorway. "It seems I can't leave you three alone without a fight breaking out a few minutes later. Now explain what happened and no lying. I have my ways of learning the truth."

"He was making fun of us for being locked up in the cupboard and said his father is going to make Mr. Weasley lose his job!" Henry shouted and pointed to Draco.

"Draco, Harry James, you have anything you would like to add?" Severus angrily asked, eying all three of the boys.

"Malfoy was spying on us. After he made fun of us and threatened the Weasleys, I tried to stop Henry from punching him..." Harry nervously answered.

"At least one of you made an attempt to prevent a fight... Just what am I going with the three of you here? This is going to be a long few days..." Severus said dryly.

 




It was 3:00 in the morning and Henry couldn't sleep. He was laying in bed thinking about how the punishment for the incident during the afternoon was unfair. He was grounded for a week after getting a spanking for punching Draco. Draco's punishment for harassing Harry and Henry only consisted of apologizing and being jinxed not to talk to anyone about what life was like for Harry prior to finding out he was wizard unless who Draco wanted to talk to about it all ready knew from Severus, Harry, or Henry. Harry was the only one that didn't get punished because he did the right thing by preventing the situation from getting worse.

Henry was just starting to drift off when he heard a yell from the hallway.

"Uncle Severus! The Potters are invisible and keep hitting me!" Draco yelled at the top of his lungs.

"Go back to bed Draco! The ward monitor shows Harry and Henry haven't left their room all night! You are probably imagining things! Go back to sleep! We'll talk about this in the morning!" Severus shouted from his room.


That morning, Draco looked like a white blond storm cloud as he sat down for breakfast and glared at Harry and Henry.

"Had a bad night?" Severus asked.

"Horrible! I don't know how much sleep I got but these two kept sneaking into my room and hitting me when I was trying sleep! I couldn't see them but I know it was them!" Draco glared angrily at Harry and Henry.

"After what happened yesterday I set up some wards in your rooms that would alert me if any of left your rooms. With the exception of storming out of your room at 3:00 this morning, none you left your rooms. Maybe it was because your bed was jinxed to not let you have a good night's rest unless you give an apology to my nephews and truly mean it," Severus explained unemotionally as Draco made more than one attempt to interrupt but kept quiet.

"Your behavior at school was the biggest complaint I had from the other professors. Draco, I have said this before I will say it again because I believe Harry and Henry need to hear this as well. You cannot expect to get anywhere by resorting to childish behavior. While the three of you have enough money to guarantee that your great-great grandchildren don't need to a job, any bad behavior you have may come back and haunt you at a time you can least afford it.

"I do not know for sure about this but after your mother's grandfather Arcturus Black passed away last summer, the title of head of your mother's family transferred to either Harry or Henry due your Arcturus' only living grandson and cousin of your mother, Sirius Black, ineligibility and closeness to the Potter family. If Harry or Henry is head of the Black family and the tradition of children belonging to both of their parent's family, you are showing great disrespect to your superior. When they get older they could legally rob your blind if they wanted to." Severus explained causing all three boys to mutter a silent "what?"

"Why would Sirius Black not be allowed to be head of the Black family?" Harry asked.

"Sirius Black is surviving a life sentence in Azkaban Prison for being a follower of You-Know-Who, mass murderer, and an accessory to a double murder though I have some doubts if he is guilty of the charge of being a follower of the You-Know-Who. Despite being an arrogant bully from a family that has a reputation for hating Muggles and Muggle-borns, Sirius openly socialized with many Muggle-borns witches, a rather odd behavior for a follower of You-Know-Who considering that You-Know-Who and his followers have a hatred for Muggles and Muggle-borns."

"Why are you calling the Dark Lord You-Know-Who?" a somewhat more calmed down Draco asked.

"You are forgetting, Draco, that they grew up with Muggles. They probably won't know of whom I'm speaking of if I were to say the Dark Lord," Severus answered. "In an unrelated topic, I got a message from Professor Dumbledore saying he will be coming by some time today depending on how long it takes to reorganize his collection of oddly shaped lemon drops after accidentally leaving the entrance to his office open while away allowing Peeves to come in and have a little fun."

And three of the boys didn't know what to make of that.


A couple hours later there was a knock on the door, which Severus answered.

"Good morning Severus. I trust you are enjoying the holidays so far?" Dumbledore cheerfully asked. The elderly headmaster, with the exception of his long beard and hair had made a convincing Muggle man dressed in a dark gray suit with a suitcase

"Please come in. With the exception of a couple of incidents, yes. First the two boys got their hands on some silly string at the store and had a fight with it. Then Lucius and Narcissa had to go out of the country for a few days and my godson Draco is having to stay here..." Severus trailed off as Dumbledore walked in.

"Ah. I can see how that could be a problem. Hopefully the three of them limited their exchange with to just words?"

"Henry Jacob punched Draco before Harry James managed to break up the fight prior to my arrival to see what the commotion was," Severus answered making Dumbledore give a disappointing sigh.

"I just hope before the school year starts, they can all get along with each other," Dumbledore replied, disappointed as he set his suitcase on a couch and opened it. "I just hope Harry follows the old adage of not shooting the messenger of bad news."

"What do you mean?" Severus asked concerned eying the odd contents of the suitcase. The inside of the suitcase reminded him of something from a muggle science fiction TV show he saw every now and then when he was visiting Lily when he was growing up. The top part was black with five vertical red rectangles. They were labeled left to right souls, magic, magic stability, magical age, and magic bonds.

"I prefer to say it when the boys are present. I'd rather talk to them before I set up the wards. I have more information about what exactly happened to them and I would like to perform a quick scan of both with my wand to confirm my research."

"Harry James, Henry Jacob! Professor Dumbledore is here and wants to speak to you two!" Severus shouted up the stairs where the three boys were supposed to be studying.

The two boys came down the stairs.

"Before we get started, I would like to do a quick scan of both of you with my wand to be sure of something... This won't hurt at all." Dumbledore explained and he waved his wand in front of Harry. The bars changed their size and Dumbledore glanced at the display panel if you could call it that giving a "mmhmm". Severus found it rather odd that for Harry it said that Harry had an extremely small fraction more than one soul inside of him. It also said Harry had one magic bond.

After Harry, Dumbledore 'scanned' Henry before taking another look at the display panel. Severus saw it said Henry had exactly one soul and no magic bonds, and slightly less magic power than Harry.

"Looks like my hypothesis is correct about what the curse did. Why don't we all go sit down and I'll explain about the curse," Dumbledore said closing the suitcase and made it disappear by taping it with his wand. Severus led them to the dinner table after thinking he saw Draco peak down the stairs. After the four of them sat down, Dumbledore began to explain.

"Since the day you were hit with that spell Harry, I've been researching for any information that might help explain how Henry came into existence. It was not normal, if not impossible, from my understanding of magic at the time for the Sorting Hat to say the name of one of the four houses at Hogwarts for the two of you," Dumbledore explained, referring to Harry and Henry.

"What do mean?" Henry asked.

"One of the most fundamental laws of magic theory states you can never create something that is truly alive. According to that law, one of you should have been nothing more than a corpse charmed to appear to be alive. However, that is not the case. If it were, the Sorting Hat would have protested when I placed it on one of you. In addition, I shouldn't have registered a soul inside of one of you. According the Sorting Hat and the scans I just did, both of you are very much alive." Dumbledore resounded sounding pleased.

"That's good to know." Harry commented.

"Indeed. Now as to how that is possible goes down to the workings of Dividus Horrificus and the protection charm your mother placed on you when she sacrificed her life to save yours and how they interacted. Apparently a distant ancestor of yours that lived around 800 years ago named Ignotus Peverell wrote in an old note book that was donated to the Hogwarts Library a few centuries later by another of your ancestors, wrote out a series of equations that describe Dividus Horrificus. From what I could tell in the notebook, he discovered the existence of the spell though calculations rather than trying out random incantations and wand movements. A much safer approach in my opinion but that's not the point. According to his calculations, the spell not only splits a person physically in half, but will split their soul as well. However, it is not like other ways of splitting souls.

"Other ways of splitting souls leave an extremely weak connection between the soul fragments if you will call them that. I won't say what that connection allows because the type of soul splitting that results in it is magic at its darkest and since I became headmaster of Hogwarts, I have forbidden the subject. Teachers are not allowed to make students buy books with references to it nor is the library allowed to have any such books though every now and then one is discovered in some part of the library nobody has been in decades. Anyways, Dividus Horrificus does not create such a connection. In fact what it does to a person's soul is more like how the most primitive forms of life reproduce. It splits a person's soul into two fully functional souls each with its own unique personality but all the memories and abilities of the original soul." Dumbledore explained.

"I was looking at the readings from your scans, they did not show up as identical. It said Harry had more than one soul, a bond, and more magic power than Henry," Severus pointed out.

"The bond and more than one soul is a result of what Voldemort did that Halloween night in 1981. Voldemort appeared to have left behind part of his soul as he fled from the Potter's cottage that night. I am working on finding a safe way to remove it. To the best of my knowledge nobody has attempted to remove a soul fragment from a person before and it may be years before I can come up with a way. As for the more magic power, I believe that is because when the curse hit Harry, Harry's soul absorbed part of the soul fragment as his soul tried to regain its strength. It's the only explanation I have as that having some one's soul, or part of one, inside of you doesn't add to your magic power but rather allows you to channel the owner of the other soul's magic. Soul splitting weakens souls briefly and it tried to draw energy from wherever possible. If both of you, Harry and Henry, collapsed, that is why," Dumbledore answered.

"I'm confused. Isn't causing a soul to divide like how some germs do still creating life?" Harry asked.

"Actually no. While magic cannot create life, it can assist the natural process of creating it. Some species of animals split their soul as part of reproduction. The protection charm your mother placed on you allowed both you and Henry to survive long enough for both of your souls to repair what would normally be fatal damage to your bodies. Part of that type of soul splitting is physically cutting a body in half. The species that reproduce that way survive because their souls are more in tuned with their magic than most known beings in a way that they can re-grow the missing half of their body a rate that for all intents and purposes might as well be considered instantaneous. For most beings, it is estimated it would take approximately half of a second to accomplish the same feat if the magic needed was performed in the most efficient way possible, which hasn't been discovered, but by that time, their soul would have long moved on to the next great adventure."

"I'm still confused..." Harry replied.

"Same here." Henry added.

"Don't worry. The important thing is that both of you are alive," Dumbledore reassured.

"You hinted to me earlier that you had bad news for Harry. I don't see how everything you said is bad news other than it means that Harry will have to experience sibling rivalry." Severus added wondering what the bad news was.

"I was going to get to that. Harry, I'm not sure if I made this clear after I put the Sorting Hat on you back in the hospital wing that you have been transferred into Slytherin house." Dumbledore said as calmly as possible.

Chapter End Notes:
Took me forever to right this because I needed to think out an answer to the question of if Harry and/or Henry is the other's horcrux. If the explanation is confusing, don't worry; people in the story are confused by it as well. :P

Anyways, reviews!