Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is by jlbrew23
Seeing Double

Or rather...someone like looked incredibly like him, except for his eyes.

Harry knew his eyes were the same color as his mother's, but the boy he was staring at had sapphire-blue eyes-a lot like his father's, James, had.

"W-Who are you?" he stammered out, standing up. The group circling the two of them back up, giving them room.

The other boy blinked looking at himself. "I'm you," he said, standing also, "at least, I think I am."

"H-How is this possible?" Harry asked, still gaping in surprise.

The other Harry shrugged. "I have no idea," he admitted. "One minute I-uh, we-were getting on the train and the next my scar..." He had reached up to feel his famous lightening bolt scar...only it wasn't there!

Harry noticed for the first time that his double, while also having different colored eyes, didn't have the lightening bolt scar on his forehead. He reached up to his own, finding his scar just as it had been.

"This is so weird," they both said together.

"You lot," the voice of Hagrid, the half-giant gameskeeper of Hogwarts, was clearly heard as he waded his way through the crowd surrounding them, "let me through now. What all this ruckus? Harry, lad, what...well, I'll be Fanged! I'm seein' double!" He stared back and forth between the two Harrys trying to decide who was who.

"You're not the only one," the two nearly identical boys said at the same time.

Hagrid looked perplexed. "I reckon we'd best head on up to the castle," he said, then looked at the rest of the students. "The rest of you lot, GET ON THE TRAIN!" At his bellow, kids scattered like leaves on the wind and hurried onto the train. Those already on the train, and had been peeking out the windows, ducked inside and closed them with a snap.

"C'mon, lads," he said, placing his large hands on the two boys backs. "Professor Dumbledore'll know what to do."

Harry and his double looked at each other. They had the same thought. Let's hope so.

Once at the castle school, the two boys and Hagrid were met by two teachers-Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape.

Great, the two Harrys thought, he's just gonna love this!

"Hagrid," Professor McGongall said, "what appears to be...MY WORD!" She had finally looked down and saw who the half-giant was escorting.

Professor Snape showed no emotion on his face and merely raised an eyebrow in question. "What on Earth have you done now, Mr. Potter?" he asked.

The two boys glared at Harry's-their?-most disliked teacher.

"Nothing," they answered simultaneously. "Something hit me."

"Hagrid," McGonagall stammered, her eyes wide and her face pale, "y-you and Severus take them to Pomfrey. I'll get Albus immediately." She then and hurried up the stairs to fetch the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.

"C'mon, lad," Hagrid said, once more placing a hand on both boys shoulder. "Let's getcha to the infirmary." He ushered them toward the stairs.

Professor Snape followed behind them, his black robes billowing out behind him and his hands behind his back. His ever present frown plastered on his face just like always.

Madame Pomfrey, the school's nurse, took one-uh, that is two glances at them and very nearly fainted.

"Really, Pomfrey," Professor Snape sneered at the woman. "You're a trained mediwitch, for Merlin's sake!"

Never let it be said that Madame Pomfrey was ever cowed by anyone, least of all Severus Tobias Snape.

"Just you wait, Severus," she warned him, pointing a finger in her face, "one of these days you'll be back under my hands and then you'll regret those words. Mark my words!"

"Consider them marked," Snape sneered at her. "Now, if you would be so kind as to run a couple of diagnostic spells on these two that would ever so nice of you."

Harry looked at his double and they both had to cover their mouths to keep from laughing at the outraged look on the nurse's face. They had to admit, Snape did have a way of prodding people into action.

"How odd," Pomfrey said, after having the boys sit on a couple of beds and running diagnostic spells. "There's nothing wrong with them."

"Are you blind?" Snape sneered. "Look at them!"

"I am looking, Severus," she told him, "and I agree that something isn't right, but as far as their health is concerned they are a pair of perfectly healthy eleven year olds."

"Great," Harry said, "except..."

"There's only supposed to be one healthy eleven year old," his double finished for him.

Snape rolled his eyes at him-uh, them. "We're well of that, Mr. Potter," he said. "Now, close your mouths and let the adults handle things."

"Like you've been doing a bang up job so far," Harry muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes at his double-who returned the gesture.

"What was that?" Snape asked, sharply. There was a dark expression on his face that didn't bode well.

"Uh," Harry said, "nothing, sir."

Snape just sneered, but then turned to look as Professor McGonagall entered with Professor Dumbledore.

"Merlin's Beard," Dumbledore exclaimed, upon setting eyes upon the two Harrys. "How are you feeling, my boy?"

The two boys shrugged simultaneously. "Fine, Sir," they said at the same time.

Dumbledore nodded, and then examined both of them carefully. "My word," he said, looking over Harry's blue-eyed double, "but you are the spitting image of James."

"Wonderful," Snape muttered, earning a glare from Pomfrey and McGonagall.

Dumbledore ignored his potions professor and reached up to examine blue-eye's forehead. "No scar," he muttered. "I wonder..." he trailed off, lost in thought.

"Wonder what, Headmaster?!" Snape asked, impatient. Again, this earned him a glare from the two witches present.

"Minerva," Dumbledore spoke at last, "would you be so kind as to fetch me the Sorting Hat, please."

Professor McGonagall looked perplexed by his request, as did the rest of them, but she nodded anyway. "Right away, Albus," she said, and then once more scurried out of the room.

Dumbledore turned to Hagrid. "Be so kind, Hagrid," he told the gentle giant, "and go tell the conductor he may depart. No sense worrying the children's parents any longer."

"W-Wha' about 'Arry, Headmaster?" Hagrid asked, nodding toward Harry and his double.

"He shall be well taken care of, I assure you," Dumbledore told him. "Please, go tell the train to depart."

Hagrid nodded, and turned to leave.

"Hagrid," Harry called after him, echoed a second later by his double.

Hagrid looked at him-uh, them. "Yeah, 'Arry?" he asked, curious.

"Tell Ron and Hermione to write me," He told him, his double nodding in agreement with him, "and tell them I said goodbye. Please?"

Hagrid smiled brightly. "I sure will, "Arry," he told him. "Don'tcha worry none." With that, he turned and headed out the door.

No sooner had he left, but McGonagall returned and she was carrying the school's Sorting Hat with her. The Hat was responsible for placing the first year students in one of the four Houses of Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw at the beginning of each school year.

"Ah," Dumbledore said, taking the hat from her, "thank you, my dear." McGonagall nodded, and then stepped back to see just what the Headmaster had planned.

Going over to the blue-eyed Harry, he asked, "May I?"

Harry's double nodded. "I guess so, Sir," he said, shrugging.

Dumbledore smiled. "Thank you, my boy," he said, and then placed the Sorting hat onto his head. He then stepped back and waited.

"Gryffindor," the hat exclaimed a few seconds later.

"I believe we already know what house he's in, Headmaster," Snape said, impatiently. "What exactly is the point of this?"

"You will see, Severus," Dumbledore said, stepping over to the original green-eyed Harry. "May I?"

Harry nodded. "Of course, Sir," he said, grinning.

Dumbledore placed the hat on his head and then stepped back to wait.

"Slytherin," the hat exclaimed, shocking everyone except Dumbledore-who walked over to remove the hat.

Snape, especially, had gone considerably paler. "T-That's impossible," he exclaimed.

"Nothing is ever truly impossible, Severus," Dumbledore told him, removing the hat from Harry's head, "but I believe now I have a better understanding of what is going on."

"Mind sharing with rest of us?" Snape growled at him, forgetting himself due to his shock.

"Of course," Dumbledore said, "but first I'd like a word in private. Minverva, will you please send an owl to the Dursleys to say that Harry will not be returning there this summer..."

"He won't?" McGonagall asked, surprised.

"I won't?" both Harry's asked at the same time.

"No," Dumbledore said, smiling at the two of them, "I don't believe you will. You two sit tight while I have a word with Professor Snape. Severus?" He started for the door of the infirmary while McGonagall headed to attend to the errand he'd requested.

"Coming, Headmaster," Snape replied, following behind the older wizard.

Outside, Dumbledore placed a silencing charm on the door so that they would not be over heard. "There is only one curse I no of that could have done this," he told the black robed wizard.

Snape nodded. "I know," he said, "and I know of only one person who knows it."

"Malfoy?" Dumbledore guessed.

Snape nodded. "Yes," he confirmed, wrinkling his nose in disgust.

"Lucius couldn't have done this," Dumbldeore said. "He'd have been spotted."

"I know," Snape said, "so that leaves only Draco."

"Surely, a mere eleven year old boy couldn't..."

"Maybe not on purpose," Snape told him, "but Draco has been jealous of Potter since the moment he met him and he'd have used a curse if he thought it would humiliate him, especially after it was him and his little friends who won stole the Cup from his House. More than likely, he purloined the spell from one of his father's dark journals-he has done so in the past-without really looking to see what it did. If it sounded like it could be powerful, he'd have tried it."

Dumbledore shook his head. "If that is true," he said, "then he'll have to be expelled."

Snape snorted. "You know Lucius will never allow that," he told him. "Just leave young Mr. Malfoy to me. I am not only his Head of House but also his Godfather. When I'm done with his backside, he'll not only tell me everything but he'll be begging me to give him detention."

Dumbledore grinned. "Really, Severus," he said, smirking, "how ever do manage not to show that you actually care for your students."

"Practice, Headmaster," Snape told him, "and lots of it. Now, what was with the Sorting Hat?"

Dumbledore glanced at the hat in his hands. "Yes, that," he said, sighing. "I believe that the spell didn't really clone Harry, as it literally split him in two. After all, everyone as traits from their parents-and the blue eyed Harry is obviously how Harry would have looked had he inherited James' eyes instead of Lily's."

"What about the Sorting, though?" Snape asked. "Why would it say Gryffindor for one and Slytherin for the other-the original, I might add."

"Because," Dumbledore said, "the blue-eyed Harry possesses most, if not all, of the traits that belong to all Gryffindors while green-eyed one now possesses the traits that make a good Slytherin. When Voldermort..."

Snape winced at the name.

"Really, Severus," Dumbldore admonished, then continued, "when he placed that scar on Harry's forehead he also placed many of his own abilities and attributes into the boy. When the spell split him in two, those attributes remained within Harry along with his natural Slytherin instincts."

"I wasn't aware the boy had any Slytherin instincts," Snape sneered. "He didn't show any this year, certainly."

"Why not, Severus?" Dumbledore asked. "His paternal grandmother was Slytherin, after all, as you well know."

"Do not bring her into this," Snape growled at him.

"The Sorting Hat," Dumbledore continued to explain, "allowed Harry to choose for himself at the beginning of the year because it could not decide which House he best fit into. Harry chose Gryffindor because he did not want to end up like Vol-him or be associated with the House that spawned him. However, the Hat didn't hesitate now because-due to the spell-there was no confusion. As it stands, Harry belongs in the House of the Serpents."

Snape sighed. "Wonderful," he muttered, "but what is to be done with him-uh, them-this summer. I doubt seriously Petunia is going to allow two of them into her house. She didn't even want the original, for Merlin's sake."

Dumbledore nodded. "Yes, I know," he said, sadly, "but there is another alternative..." He eyed the potions professor shrewdly.

Snape's eyes widened in shock. "You can not be serious?" he asked. "That is absolutely out of the question?"

"You are," Dumbledore reminded him, "Harry's only other living blood relative, Severus."

"A fact," Snape growled at him, "that has been kept secret for the last twenty years, and I would like to keep it that way. Besides, what about your precious blood wards."

Dumbledore shrugged. "I will simply shift them," he told him. "Instead of using Lily's blood connection, I will use James'."

Snape shook his head. "No," he said, firmly, "I can't."

"Can't or won't, Severus?" Dumbledore asked. "You care for Harry, otherwise you would not have protected him so fiercely as you did this year."

"You know why I did that," Snape told him, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I believe you did if for a reason besides your debt to James," Dumbledore told him, placing a hand on his shoulder, "and your love for Lily."

Snap shook off his hand and sighed. "Very well," he said, grudgingly, "if there is no other alternative."

Dumbldore smiled. "Excellent," he said, cheerfully. "Where will you take them? Spinner's End?"

"No," Snape said, horrified at the very thought of living in that house again. "I will take them to my cottage by the sea."

"The one near Dover?" Dumbledore asked.

Snape nodded. "Yes," he said.

"Very well then," he said, "but there are still a couple of things that need to be done first. Come along." He turned and headed back into the infirmary.

Snape once again followed after him. What am I getting myself into?

"Now then," Dumbledore told Harry and his double, "I do believe we are going to have to come up with a name for you, my boy."

"I already have a name, Professor," Harry said, confused.

"I think he was talking to me," his double said, "right, Sir?"

"Yes," Dumbledore said, smiling. "Do you have a preference?"

Harry looked at his double, who thought a moment.

"How about...James?"