Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Key:

:text: = Parsletounge

Return to Hogwarts

:Why can't I go in dormitories?: Azure hissed as soon as Severus stepped into his private quarters. The winged snake was hovering a few meters in front of him with its wings turned towards Severus.

"Parslemouths are believed to be dark wizards by nearly all wizards. A belief that is stronger than ever thanks to the dark wizard that killed Harry's parents and tried to kill him twice," Severus replied. Severus didn't like it that Azure could allow others to understand Parseltongue only when the winged snake wanted them to. It wasn't that Severus hated it, its just made him nervous that Azure could be having a conversation with Harry about him right in front of him and he wouldn't know it. To him, that would be worse than having people talk about him behind his back.

:I guess that needs to be changed. I can't watch over Harry if I'm in here all the time...: Azure hissed back.

"We'll talk about this later with Harry and the headmaster. If you can wait until then, I would like to get my book on wards," Severus replied, heading to a bookshelf.


"Severus, I've heard of that theory and it won't work on house elves. Alastor and I tried to put it into practice after we discovered the Carrows' house elf was searching the homes of people close to me looking for any clues as to where Order headquarters was located during the war," Dumbledore shook his head while sitting at his desk in his office. "The best we can do is set something up to alert us that a house elf is nearby but it would be going off all the time here."

"Just thought it would be helpful after what happened to the barrier and the train. I hope Harry and Henry will be safe," Severus replied, disappointed, sitting down facing Dumbledore.

"I agree. For the sake of the school, I also hope the house elf is merely delusional and there is no danger," Dumbledore replied. "Not to change the subject, but how is Harry doing with occlumency?"

"After I gave him a book on the subject for his birthday, he has gotten better at shielding his thoughts. I haven't tested his shields but I don't see anything when I make direct eye contact with him," Severus replied pleased before getting a little concerned. "However, there's been a change in him. When I look at his face, something doesn't seem right. I can't pinpoint it but something has changed. I think Henry has noticed something too."

"It may be just the occlumency. Twins can sense each other's feelings to a certain degree and you are too used to using legilimency on people. With Harry blocking his thoughts, it may be rather odd for the two of you not to know what he is thinking," Dumbledore speculated.

"Possibly," Severus sighed. "Its hard to believe last year I called him everything his father was, at least in my opinion, and now I'm getting myself worried about him over possibly nothing."

The twinkle that was now in Dumbledore's blue eyes really annoyed Severus.


"I'll guess I see you tomorrow..." Harry said to his brother before heading to the Slytherin table in the great hall. It was obvious to Henry, Ron, and Hermione that Harry was not looking forward to the feast. Henry wasn't looking forward to it either; already people were whispering about there being two Potters at Hogwarts this year when there was only one last year.

Henry, Ron, and Hermione sat down near the front of the Gryffindor table, near the staff table. Ron's sister Ginny was starting Hogwarts this year and Percy more or less forced all his brothers to sit near the staff table to welcome Ginny to Gryffindor.

"Where is Harry? I saw him come into the hall with everybody," Percy asked quietly when he saw only Henry was at the Gryffindor table while the Sorting Hat sang the song it worked on all year.

"He's at the Slytherin table." Ron quietly answered as Henry noticed Dumbledore look in the direction of the Slytherin's table after there was a brief commotion at that table. Henry tried to see what was going on but it was hard to see what was going on there.

"He can't do that. School rules clearly says all students must sit with their housemates during the start of the term feast," Percy complained as he started to get up causing McGonagall to gesture to him to sit back down and Dumbledore to look towards the Gryffindor table.

"I'm shocked. Perfect Percy in trouble and we haven't eaten yet," Fred teased.

"I think I'm going to faint from the shock of it all," George added as Dumbledore leaned over the staff table and quietly said something to McGonagall before sitting back down.

After the Sorting Hat finished it's song, Dumbledore stood up. Henry sat quietly and waited.

"Before we get started with the sorting I have something to say. While we were enjoying the song the Sorting Hat has spent most of the past year working on, I saw misunderstandings at the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables. In hindsight, I think I should have sent a notice out about explaining a certain situation that arose last June as those of you returning may remember.

"I would remind you that there is a reason why there are rules about using spells outside of class, especially curses, jinxes, and hexes. Further more, I strongly advise you not to experiment with or cast spells you not familiar with. If a spell cast improperly and/or comes into contact with other forms of magic, the results can be unpredictable. With that said, I was very much horrified last June that a student who is lucky not to be expelled attempted to curse Harry Potter with a spell that the said student had not only had no knowledge what the curse would do, but would have been deadly had it been cast properly. I assure you they have been punished most severely by both their parents and the Ministry." Dumbledore explained, causing the students to start murmuring things to each other.

"The curse cast was not an unforgivable but should be considered one because of what it does. It would literally cut a person in half, killing them. Fortunately the curse did not work as it was supposed to. Instead of killing Harry Potter, it more or less cloned him. The Sorting Hat made it quite clear when I was determine the effects of the spell that Harry Potter was to be transferred to Slytherin house," Dumbledore continued to explain before being interrupted by a bunch of a protests from the Gryffindor table. Henry groaned as he realized most of the protests were coming from the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Dumbledore gestured for people to calm down and allow him to finish speaking. As soon as everyone settled down, Dumbledore continued.

"However, the Sorting Hat made it clear that Harry's brother, if you would call him that, who goes by the name Henry Potter, belongs in Gryffindor. I know this is all very unusual and parts of what I have said may seem to go against the laws of magic but I assure you that they do not if you understand some obscure branches of magic that I'm sure will bore you all if I gave you a crash course in them. Also, please treat both Harry and Henry Potter like any other set of twins. They are not objects of curiosity for you to stare at and talk about like some rather interesting sculptures I saw at a museum a few years ago. Those sculptures were..." Dumbledore continued to explain before another interruption, this time from Professor McGonagall who was clearing her throat as if to remind him that there were students to sort.

"I believe I have said enough on this matter and I can see all of you are hungry so Professor McGonagall, you can proceed with sorting our new students so we can all eat." Dumbledore finished and sat down. Henry was glad Dumbledore told everyone to treat him and Harry like people though he didn't know how to take being compared to something in a museum.


After Harry started to head to the Slytherin's table in the great hall.

"Potter, sit near me. Why you're sitting at the Slytherin table would be more believable coming from me than you if people start telling you to go back to the Gryffindor table," Flint told Harry. Harry reluctantly obeyed the Slytherin team's captain and sat next to him near the front of the Slytherin table. Much to Harry's displeasure, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle decided to sit on the opposite side of the table from him with Draco sitting directly in front on him. A few other second year Slytherins sat near by. Harry was surprised nobody noticed he was at the Slytherin table until after the Sorting Hat started to sing.

"What are you doing? Go back to the Gryffindor table where you belong, Potter!" a boy Harry recognized as Nott said rather rudely to Harry.

"Nott, Harry has permission to be here. I'll explain after the sorting ceremony is done," Flint responded before Harry could say something. Harry turned his head to look back towards the Sorting Hat and saw Dumbledore and Severus both look in his direction. Harry concluded that something happened at the Gryffindor table because both Dumbledore and McGonagall diverted their attention there before Dumbledore said something to McGonagall. After the Sorting Hat's song was finished, Dumbledore stood up and decided to make an announcement.

"Looks like Dumbledore is going to explain why you are sitting here Harry," Flint said quietly to Harry as Harry noticed Malfoy sink down in his seat, looking miserable. As Dumbledore explained loud protest came from the Gryffindor table, mostly the Quidditch team. Harry lowered his head in misery as he realized most of the protests were coming from the Gryffindor Quidditch team, people who praised him last year for winning two games. He felt like he had betrayed his former teammates.

The sorting proceeded after Dumbledore finished his annoucement. Harry listen as each student name was called and they were sorted into one of the houses. Finally, Ginny's name was called. It saddened Harry that since she was a Weasley, she was expected to go into Gryffindor. He wished that she would be in Slytherin so at least there would be someone in Slytherin who he felt more comfortable being with.

"By Slytherin!" the Sorting Hat shouted, catching everyone off guard. Almost immediately people began whispering what the 'By Slytherin' meant. Dumbledore quickly turned his head and looked straight at Harry with a rather puzzled look while an unsure McGonagall told Ginny to go the Slytherin table. Harry had an eerie feeling he was some how responsible for the Sorting Hat's unusual decision.

"I remember reading or hearing somewhere what a sorting like that means but I can't remember what..." Flint trailed off as a shocked Ginny sat down at the Slytherin table. After everyone quieted down, the sorting ceremony continued without any more unusual things happening. When it was over feast started after Dumbledore told everyone to "tuck in."

Chapter End Notes:

Ginny in Slytherin? Another interesting twist. Also, I got the idea for the odd sorting from another story I read a while back that I can't remember what the title was, let alone who wrote it. All I remember was that it was a Harry/Ginny soul bond story, Dumbledore forcing Harry to live with the Dursleys not only upset the Weasleys, but Hogwarts itself, and Ginny started a year early. If anyone could remember what it is called, please tell me! I'm too young to have my memory fail on me like this.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone of you notice this, but every now and then (almost always when one of my betas points something out) I go back and make corrections to chapters. This is especially true for the copy of this story I have on my website (The link can be found in my user profile. Please check it out when it when you get a chance).

Anyways, reviews please!