Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

An Annoying First Day

Henry walked into greenhouse three with the other Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs after Professor Pomona Sprout showed up a minute or two earlier than she normally would. She looked liked she was in a hurry muttering something about annoying frauds which was extremely unusual for her. It didn't take Henry long to figure out who the annoying fraud was. Lockhart was soon standing in the greenhouse's door.

"Good morning everyone! I was just talking with Professor Sprout about our shared passion with plants. I got my experience with them in the wild. For further details, please see my published works," Lockhart said making Sprout look like she wanted to give the idiot a piece of his mind. "I'm not saying your Herbology teacher here isn't an expert or anything. I'm sure you are in good hands with her."

Sprout just sighed. Henry just knew she wanted the man to go away. "Anyways, Professor, can I borrow Henry for a couple minutes before class started? I'll not keep him long." Lockhart asked to Henry's horror. When Sprout agreed, Henry just knew it was because she just wanted to get rid of the man.

Henry dreaded having to leave the greenhouse with Lockhart, even if it was going to be a few minutes. After Lockhart dragged Henry to a bush about fifteen meters from the greenhouse over to some bush with purple, yellow, and white flowers that were humming softly a happy tune, Lockhart started to talk.

"Henry, Henry, Henry... I'm a bit surprised," Lockhart started. "You are brother a practically legends and both of you aren't taking advantage of your fame."

"We never wanted to be famous..." Henry replied.

"Nobody planed to be famous. It just happens when you're in the right place at the right time. You should capitalize on it! Look at all the books that mention your brother! If you could get ten percent of the sale of each of those books, the two of you wouldn't need to worry about finding a steady job for the rest of your lives!"

"Those books say Harry Potter, not Henry Potter..." Henry groaned.

"You have just as much claim to being the original Harry Potter as your brother. The two of you were the same person when that happened from what Professor Dumbledore said when talking to the staff last night. If you don't assert yourself, you'll always be second fiddle to your brother," Lockhart lectured.

"Look, I'd rather be Henry Potter, the perfectly ordinary person, rather than the Boy-Who-Lived. Harry feels the same way. We don't want all the attention. We have more than enough money from our parents and we don't need anymore," Henry replied, resisting lashing out irrationally at the man. Henry so much wanted to yell at the tell the guy to leave him alone but didn't want to deal with his classmates asking a bunch of questions about what Lockhart had said to him to get him so... mad.

"Girls flock to famous good looking young men..." Lockhart replied, obviously not getting it.


"You should have seen Ron when the sorting hat put you and Ginny into Slytherin," Henry told his brother and Ginny during lunch the next day when students were allowed to sit at any table they wished even though almost without exception every stayed at their house's table. Henry felt odd being the only Gryffindor at the Slytherin table, or at any table other than the Gryffindor's table. Ron talked Hermione out of it after informing her that there's a lot of Slytherins that don't like Muggleborns, something that an eavesdropping Percy confirmed. Not wanting to leave Hermione alone at the Gryffindor table, Ron decided to sit next to her though Henry felt it just because Ron had some issues with Slytherin house.

"Let me guess, his jaw hit the floor?" Ginny asked, after taking a bite out of a sandwich.

"More like his whole body," Henry said chuckling at the memory. "Then when the feast started, Percy told Fred and George, 'It is you two's fault that Ginevra is in Slytherin. Not that there is anything wrong with that.'"

"He only said that because he thinks mum hates Slytherins and probably will send a howler. Mum doesn't hate all Slytherins. Just the ones that hate Muggles and Muggleborns," Ginny replied.

"What's a howler?" Harry asked as Henry took a bite out of some sandwich that's flavor now seamed to change every second. First it tasted like strawberries, then like apples, and then something Henry awful that made him want to gag but was able to resist the urge after swallowing. Some Slytherins sitting near by snickered and Henry knew he'd been the victim of a prank.

"It's a letter that yells at you. If you don't open them quick enough, they explode," Ginny answered.

"Sounds like something that would be good for revenge on Lockhart." Henry thought out loud thinking about a chat he had with Lockhart before Herbology.

"What did Lockhart do other than have us dragged out of the crowd to have his picture taken with us this summer?" Harry asked.

"I was waiting for Herbology class to start when Lockhart showed up and asked Sprout if he could borrow me for a few minutes before class," Henry groaned. "He then talked to me about how being your brother, I'm always going to be in your shadow and nobody will notice me and how we should both capitalize on our fame. At one point he talked about all the girls that could be fallowing us around..."

"You told him we don't like being famous?" Harry sighed.

"He didn't believe me. Then he had the nerve to give me detention for being late to Herbology!" Henry complained getting the attention of everyone nearby.

"But he was the reason you were late... I can see why your uncle hates Lockhart..." Ginny commented.

"I'm sure that Sprout got you out of it right away," Harry replied.

"He didn't tell me that I had detention. I found out from McGonagall on the way here. I tried to tell her Lockhart not only didn't tell me I had detention but was the one that made me late but she saw Fred and George decorating a tree with what looked like toilet paper..."

Ginny chuckled though Harry didn't look happy as he ate an olive.

"That's not fair. You should have waited for McGonagall to get done with the twins and told her how you got that detention. That's what I would have done. That or go to Dumbledore or Uncle Severus." Harry told Henry. Henry didn't think about doing that. He just wished at he got more Slytherin traits. Now he could see why the stereotypical Gryffindor was someone who didn't think...

"I'll tell Uncle Severus after lunch," Henry decided taking into account a few Slytherins pranked him for sitting at their table.


Severus after finishing lunch went to his office to get ready for his next class. He just hoped the order of billywig wings he placed a month earlier had finally arrived as his next class would need nearly all the ones currently in the supply cupboard making breath freshening potions that day. He was a little shocked to see Dumbledore standing outside his office. He swore the man was still in the Great Hall when he left.

"One of the advantages of living at Hogwarts for so long is you learn about all the short cuts to get to various parts of the school," Dumbledore explained.

"Is there something you wish to discuss?" Severus asked knowing Dumbledore wouldn't be here unless there was something he wanted to say in private.

"Yes. I believe we should talk about this issue where we can't be heard," Dumbledore answered as Severus let him into his office. Severus was relived to see the house elves left the package of billywig wings on his desk. Now all he had to do was make sure the apothecary would honor their policy of all late arriving packages being free of charge.

"Now, Severus, remember I said I had a theory about how the school believes an heir of Slytherin is here?"

"Yes. After McGonagall pointed out that a certain dark wizard didn't have any kids, I believe I've come to the same conclusion as you. Harry, by his soul absorbing part of that soul fragment inside of him, has caused the school to think he's an heir of Slytherin," Severus replied.

"Yes. Well, it appears we need to inform him and Henry about this after another incident that happened during lunch..." Dumbledore said sounding concerned.

"What did Harry do?" Severus asked, hoping it was something that wouldn't attract attention.

"He got Henry out of a detention assigned by Mr. Lockhart for being late to Herbology this morning."

"Knowing the ponce, he doesn't know how to read a clock properly but Pomona wouldn't allow an innocent student to be punished..." Severus grumbled.

"I've had plenty of experience in the 70s dealing with an heir of Gryffindor to know it will only work when the student being punished is innocent. It only worked for him twice. Once for that indecent where James saved your life and again when Peter was accused of spiking the drinks served during on particular breakfast in your forth year with Essence of Insanity after the house elves claimed to have seen him in the kitchens that morning. Never found out who really did it after questioning the other three 'Marauders'..." Dumbledore trailed off as Severus kept a straight face. Severus would never admit he was responsible for that incident. He only did it because he was mad for almost being killed by a werewolf a few days earlier and seeing his half-brother's gang of troublemakers not getting punished for it. He figured that the disruption that followed after the Essence of Insanity entered everyone's system; the four troublemakers would be expelled. If it was discovered he did it, even after all these years, he'd claim he was temporarily insane at the time. After all, a fourth year Slytherin would have to be to plan and carry out such an operation where so many things could go wrong.


"So that is why he gave you detention," Severus replied to Henry as they talked about the morning's incident with Lockhart. "I was going to relay to you a message from Dumbledore saying your detention had been canceled during your defense lesson later on this afternoon."

"What?" Henry asked confused.

"Did you tell your brother about your detention?" Severus asked.

"Yes... But what's that got to do with it being canceled?" Henry asked more confused.

"Promise me that you will not tell this to anyone except for your brother but a side effect of what happened in June is that Hogwarts, the castle itself, thinks Harry is an 'Heir of Slytherin' and has given him the ability to cancel any unjust punishments. I suspected it last night after Miss Weasley's unusual sorting and the headmaster confirmed it to me a short while ago." Severus explained.

"I won't tell anyone. I can see it would make him mad with everyone asking him to get them out of detention." Henry promised knowing how Harry would feel if word got loose.

"That and it could start an untrue rumor that your mother had a love affair with a certain dark wizard that later murdered her. It could give the Ministry and Gringotts a major headache with people trying to 'steal' your inheritance by saying that the two of you have no claim the Potter family fortune." Severus replied very seriously. Henry was dumbfounded couldn't think of anything to say about that and decided to change the subject.

"At lunch, I was sitting at the Slytherin table with Harry and Ginny. After taking a few bites of a sandwich, I was changing flavor like once every second and some Slytherins near by were giggling..."

"If you don't know who they were, there's not much I can do other than issue a general warning. Also, I will have another word with Professor Flitwick about teaching students the Ever Changing Flavor Charm. Too many students have too much fun with it... If it happens to you or anyone you know again the counter charm for it is Saveurium Normalem."

Chapter End Notes:

I'm shocked. Out of the four people who attempted to guess who the heir of Gryffindor is (three by reviews and one by AIM as of the time I'm writing this), only the one who guessed via AIM got it right but only after three or four tries. I thought it would be obvious who it is saying the student had to be already sorted and that the hat said "By Gryffindor" when Remus was sorted. Given how so many people forget how many Muggles Pettigrew framed Sirius of killing, it doesn't surprise at all that people forgot sortings are done alphabetically. And for the record, Pettigrew framed Sirius of killing 12 Muggles plus himself making a total of 13 people Sirius was accused of killing with a single curse. If anyone says it was 13 Muggles plus Pettigrew, tell them to re-read Prisonar of Azkaban.  I cringe every time I read a story written by someone who forgets though not as badly as when I read a story where the author forgets that a person who speaks Parseltongue is a Parselmouth...

Also, thank you the_scribbler for pointing out to me that toilet paper is called bog roll in the UK.

Anyways, reviews!