Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Indulging Misguided Notions

Severus strode into the noisy dining room. Several copies of The Daily Prophet in addition to handwritten reports lay scattered on the table. On the far wall a large map of the British Isles was affixed with different colored markers beside a chalkboard. The room that had once held fancy dinner parties had transformed into a war room.

Sweeping past Tonks, Shacklebolt, and the Weasley twins, Severus pulled out the chair at the head of the table on the far end of the room. The chair scraped against the floor and the room fell silent. Everyone turned towards him, curiosity written across their faces.

He sat down with his hands folded on his lap. "Yes?" Severus raised his eyebrow. They were waiting to hear how Harry was doing, but Severus refused to comment if someone hadn't the courage to ask. Beside, the entire Order didn't need to know the details of Harry's current condition. The fact that he was even here with Harry should tell the Order members that Harry was in good enough health, which was all they needed to know. Harry was no longer part of whatever war plan the Headmaster may have had for him, and therefore, the details of Harry's life were not essential knowledge to the Order. His child deserved a modicum of privacy, and Severus was determined to give Harry as much as he could.

Mrs. Weasley hurried through the door with two plates of biscuits and coffee and tea trays levitating behind her. She arranged the refreshments on the table before she jumped in surprise from spotting Severus. "Oh hello, Severus."

"Molly." Severus dipped his head towards her in greeting.

"Is Harry upstairs already?" Chairs and floorboards creaked as the members of the Order shifted closer to him.

"Yes."

"How is he?" Shacklebolt asked.

"As well as can be expected." Severus poured himself a cup of coffee, ignoring the uncomfortable silence. He took a sip, savoring the strong taste. Molly Weasley always brewed the perfect pot of coffee even though she never drank it.

"Is that so? I caught a glimpse of Potter and at first I didn't recognize him." Mad-Eye plopped into a chair.

"His treatments are harsh, but I assure you Harry is responding exactly how he should be." Snape injected a venomous undertone into his voice. "Shouldn't we be discussing the war rather than one child's health, or are we too dependent on a prophecy?"

"Severus, my boy, you never once gave Divination a chance. I am surprised that after all this time you have not questioned if it is fate we live by or free will." Dumbledore led the wolf into the room.

"We make our own choices."

"Yes, of course," the Headmaster said in his best placating tone. "If we are all here, will everyone please be seated."

"Minerva said she'd be along shortly. She's in the library." Severus pulled out a sheet of parchment from his bag that contained notes he had taken from reported Death Eater activity. Despite holing up in his quarters to minimize the risk of infection for Harry, Severus scanned the major wizarding press and The Times daily to watch for patterns or suspicious activity.

"Fred, if you would, please?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes, sir." Fred stood up and left the room to retrieve Minerva.

"What kind of tricks are you playing with Harry?" Lupin growled at Severus.

"Tricks?" Severus asked in his best monotonous tone. Lupin would not get the best of him today.

"Your scent is on his clothes!" The wolf jumped up from his seat next to Dumbledore. "And he has somehow fallen for your delusions. Harry defended you of all people like you haven't bullied him for the past five years. Albus, you need to check his wand. He has to have Harry under the Imperius curse."

"Did you speak with him?" Severus sat forward on the edge of his seat. Lupin had better not upset his child. None of the monitoring alarms Severus had placed on Harry secretly before they left had gone off, but those were limited to Harry's physical health.

"That is enough, Remus!" Dumbledore pulled Lupin down into the chair. "I can assure everyone that nothing inappropriate is happening between Severus and Harry."

"Pardon me." Severus stood up. His stomach twisted in knots with anxiety. He needed to lay eyes on his son, to ensure Lupin hadn't caused any damage.

"Severus, sit." Dumbledore locked eyes with him and pushed an image of Harry saying he was fine and didn't need Severus into his mind.

He broke eye contact before sitting. "As you wish."

Minerva and Fred took their seats while the Headmaster secured the door with anti-eavesdropping charms.

"Now that we are all here, early this morning a small group of Death Eaters were spotted close to the Dursley residence by Arabella Figg. Tonks and Arthur apparated to Surrey to check on the protective wards on Number 4 Privet Drive. Arthur, your report, please." Dumbledore opened the meeting without any pomp and circumstance.

Severus' interest grew. It was different being the one to wait for reports instead of giving them. He didn't know if he liked the semi-helpless feeling or not, but there was nothing he could do. His cover as a spy had been blown and even if it hadn't Severus couldn't spy and take care of Harry, his first priority.

"After arriving in Surrey, Tonks and I found that Death Eaters had penetrated the wards," Arthur began. "We tested the wards and found that they are significantly weakened as a result of Harry not returning there for the summer. The magical signatures on the wards confirmed that Arabella's account that she had spotted three Death Eaters was correct. The signatures were from low to mid level wizards, which lead us to believe the Dark Lord sent two possible underage recruits along with a more seasoned Death Eater as some sort of test. It's possible two of them were Hogwarts students."

Bile rose into Severus' throat. He was almost positive one of them was Draco Malfoy and while he couldn't deny the boy was an outright prat most of the time, Severus had invested a great deal of time over the past year to swaying Draco to turn away from the path his father expected of him as a favor to Narcissa. When Severus had arrived as a first year at Hogwarts, he had been a pariah among the Slytherins due to his supposedly impoverished family and lack of social skills. However, Narcissa had taken her job as a prefect seriously and had shown nothing but kindness towards him even when the other Slytherins had hidden his belongings or stolen his homework. Besides Lily, Narcissa had made his first year at Hogwarts tolerable.

"Is Lucius still in Azkaban?" Severus asked.

"Yes, I checked the prisoner list before I left the Ministry." Shacklebolt confirmed.

Severus nodded his head. "One of the wizards was Draco Malfoy. The Dark Lord will be furious with Lucius' failed attempt to retrieve the prophecy and will task Draco with the chance to earn the Dark Lord's favor and Lucius' freedom."

"Are you sure you don't know this?" Moody glared at him. Moody had never trusted him and never would. The man was so paranoid it would likely get him killed one day.

"Must I submit my wand for examination?" Severus held out his wand, handle first. He didn't have anything to hide, and if it would get the Order from turning every subject back to him then the sooner the meeting and memorial were over and Severus could return Harry to the safety of their quarters.

"That won't be necessary." Dumbledore walked over to the chalkboard. "If one of them were Draco Malfoy it could certainly complicate matters. Hogwarts has no reason to deny the boy his education. Severus, has Draco turned to you?"

"There were indications towards the end of the school year Draco didn't wish to be marked, but he never outright said so. There is a possibility that under Narcissa's sole influence, Draco may think twice before joining the Dark Lord." Severus crossed his arms and sat back in his chair.

"Narcissa Malfoy?" One of the Weasley twins' eyes bugged out.

"But she's Malfoy's wife-" The other one said.

"Isn't she a Death Eater?" They finished together.

"No. She has never taken the mark." Severus looked towards the door. He had never understood why Narcissa tried to shelter Draco as much as possible until Harry wove his way into Severus' heart.

Severus hoped Harry's friends were reacting well. He wanted to insist Harry didn't need to see his friends, but he also understood that Harry's friends were important to his child. Severus wished he could spare Harry the anxiety and thoughtless comments his friends were sure to make. Harry was strong though like his mother, sometimes too strong. The mix of Lily's strength and Severus' stubbornness was a recipe for disaster. Severus continued to keep a close watch over Harry's emotional state to try to prevent Harry from pushing himself too far. A full-scale breakdown was looming below the surface. The question remained what would trigger it and when. Severus didn't think it would happen today, but Harry might come close.

"We shall keep a close watch on Draco Malfoy," the Headmaster said, jolting Severus away from his thoughts. "I'm afraid that's all we can do unless Mr. Malfoy seeks protection on his own. We do not have the resources to do anything else."

Severus felt over half of the Order's eyes on him. The Order had lost the valuable information he had provided as a spy. He couldn't have prevented it. Harry and his friends had rushed off to the Ministry too quickly. By the time Severus had gotten word to the Order and Dumbledore, the children had been gone too long. Severus had kept to the shadows, remaining undiscovered until the Dark Lord had possessed Harry. Despite the animosity between them at the time, Severus couldn't sit back and allow the Dark Lord to rape the child's mind and being in the worst way possible. He had helped Harry break the connection before grabbing the child and flooing back to Hogwarts while Dumbledore held off the Dark Lord.

"Have the Dursleys been relocated?" Severus asked. Harry would never forgive himself if those despicable relatives of his were killed because of him.

"Bill and Charlie are aiding their move to a safe house as we speak." The Headmaster started writing locations of the latest activity on the chalkboard.

Severus looked to his notes. There wasn't enough Death Eater activity for any patterns to emerge. The Dark Lord had been rather quiet since the incident at the Ministry, and a quiet Dark Lord was a dangerous one.

 

*~AIE~*

Harry slid into the room at the end of the hall that he and Ron had shared the previous summer. So much had changed since then that Harry didn't feel like the same person. Somehow, he felt more grown up and more childish at the same time. Anxiety filled his stomach with butterflies. He hadn't experienced this much apprehension around his friends since the first time he boarded the Hogwarts Express.

Ron stood in front of a mirror while Hermione tied Ron's tie. Ginny lay sprawled on the bed closest to the door, reading Witch Weekly. They all seemed normal doing everyday things, and Harry's life had been anything but normal his whole life, but especially since the events at the Ministry. Harry hoped the Chudley Cannons had finally won a game or a new edition of Hogwarts: A History had been released because he had no idea what to talk to his friends about.

"Hi," Harry said in a voice that wasn't quite a whisper.

"Harry!" Hermione turned and rushed towards him to stop a few feet in front of him. Her arms twitched at her side, wanting to hug him though she restrained herself.

"Hey, mate." Ron waved.

"Hi Harry." Ginny hugged him, her arm hitting his lower back right where Lupin had.

Harry yelped and pushed her away, suppressing the wave of pain that traveled through his body as he latched onto a dresser for balance. What was with people feeling the need to touch him?

Ginny yanked her arms behind her back. "Did I hurt you?"

"No." Harry's free hand rubbed his back.

"I'm sorry." Ginny set her hand on his back.

Harry pushed her hand away. "Don't."

"But I can help." Ginny's eyes were hopeful.

"You can help by not touching me." Harry was tired of people touching him and thinking they were helping when it caused him more pain.

"I'm sorry." Ginny burst into tears and ran through the doorway.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the room. He hadn't meant to hurt Ginny's feelings, but his words must've come out harsher than he thought.

"Why don't you sit down?" Hermione pulled out the desk chair.

Harry nodded, stumbling across the room. His back was starting to ache, and the rest of his body would soon follow. "Thanks."

"Do you need me to get Snape?" Ron asked.

"No, I'm fine." Harry fought through the pain. He didn't want any more pain meds. He didn't deserve to feel numb during Sirius' memorial.

"Right." Ron returned to looking in the mirror, comb in hand. His fringe was in his face. "What do you think looks more appropriate, Harry? This way?" Ron pushed his fringe back.

Hermione slugged Ron in his shoulder.

"Ow! What did I do?"

Hermione tilted her head towards him.

Harry pulled his beanie down lower. He knew it was obvious he had shaved his head, but that didn't mean everyone had to make a big deal of it. Couldn't everyone ignore it? It wasn't like Harry wanted to do it. Well, he did if you counted the alternative was to watch his hair fall out in clumps.

"I'm such an idiot. I'm sorry." Ron set the comb down and leaned against the desk.

"It's okay," Harry said even though it wasn't. Ron had tried, Harry had to give him that. "Um, have you finished your summer homework yet?"

"I finished the first week of vacation. Ron hasn't even started." Hermione glared at Ron.

"I've got Transfiguration and Herbology done. Severus said he's going to change my Potions assignment or work it into my curriculum for term." Harry bit his lip.

"Blimey! Snape is altering an assignment for you?" Ron's voice was filled with disbelief.

"Yeah. He's different now." Although Harry wasn't ready to tell them Severus was his father yet that didn't mean he couldn't try to get Hermione and Ron to understand how Snape had turned into Severus to him.

"That's wonderful, Harry." Hermione smiled. "Did he take you shopping for clothes? I haven't seen you wear that before."

"Once before term ended. Severus picked this up on his last trip to London." Harry blushed. His clothes were the last thing he thought his friends would notice.

"They look good. The Professor did an excellent job."

"Don't you have enough left in your vault?" Ron asked, jealousy creeping into his voice. "It sounds likes he's spent an awful lot on you."

"Ronald!" Hermione scolded.

"He has, but he wants to Ron, and before you ask, yes he can afford it. He wants me to save my money until I'm done with school." Harry had grown somewhat comfortable with Severus paying for everything. It was normal for a parent to pay for their child's needs and since Severus was father, Harry reasoned it was okay.

"But you have all that gold in your vault. Aren't you a bit greedy making him pay for you?" Ron pushed further.

Harry sighed. Ron would never understand because his jealousy always surfaced whenever anything related to money came up. "It's complicated. Can we talk about something else?"

"Are you in remission yet?" Hermione studied him, probably looking for physical signs of his chemo treatments.

Harry shrugged. "I completed week one of induction whatever that means. No chemo this week."

"I read induction was horrible. Does your body handle the chemo well?" Hermione reminded Harry of someone conducting an interview for a research project. She wouldn't let up until she had her answers.

"Not at all. The morphine helps a lot though." Harry's left forearm started to itch under the wand holster. He rolled up his sleeve and itched underneath the leather holster.

"Morphine? Is that some Muggle potion?" Ron's forehead scrunched up in confusion.

"It's a very powerful pain medication derived from the poppy plant, Ron," Hermione told Ron before turning back to Harry. "Are you in a lot of pain?"

"Sometimes it's worse than you can image. My nerves are all screwed up because the chemo exacerbated the residual damage from the Cruciatus or something like that, too, meaning my hands shake and I can't control it." Harry's hand flew up to cover his mouth. He hadn't realized what he was admitting until he had said it. He'd been too distracted by his itchy skin.

"Bloody hell!" Ron's face paled.

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione moved closer, her eyes pooling with tears. "I want to hug you, but I don't want to hurt you."

"Don't squeeze hard." Harry braced his body, waiting for Hermione to throw herself at him like she was known to do. Instead, Hermione stepped closer and gently wrapped one arm around his back and cupped the back of his neck with the other. His Hickman brushed against Hermione and Harry resisted the urge to pull away as he felt Hermione's tears drop onto his shirt.

"Is this okay?" she choked out.

Harry nodded.

"I'm so sorry. If you need anything you know you can ask us." Hermione hid her face in his shoulder.

"Yeah, mate. I'm sorry for being such a prat. We're always here for you." Ron stood off to the side, shifting from one foot to the other.

Hermione reached out and pulled Ron over into a group hug like they were eleven all over again.

Loud sobs filled the room, none of which were Harry's.

"Ron, are you crying?" Hermione pulled away enough to look at Ron.

"No," Ron denied despite his red eyes and tear trails running down his cheeks.

Harry stared at the wall, numb. He got that Hermione and Ron needed to touch him for them to believe he was okay, but it made him feel detached from his body, like it wasn't his but public property. He crawled inside his mind, pretending he was curled up on the rug, watching the flames dance in the fireplace while Severus sat on the sofa, his father's wards keeping everyone away from the safety and security of their home.

 

*~AIE~*

Severus surveyed the platters of food Molly had prepared for the lunch they'd eat before the memorial service. Most of the offerings were heavy like different meats that Harry would have no chance of keeping down.

"Molly, do you mind if Harry and I eat in the library?" Severus asked.

"Oh, not at all. Will Harry eat what I made? There's some eggs left, otherwise. I could scramble some up for him." Molly handed him a large stack of plates.

Severus set the plates on the counter next to the glasses and silverware that had already been pulled out.

"That won't be necessary, but thank you." Severus levitated two plates from the stack. He scooped out a small amount of tomato soup in a bowl and set it on Harry's plate beside a roll, crackers, two slices of cheese, and a chocolate chip biscuit.

"Is that all he's going to eat?" Molly looked alarmed.

"Yes." Actually, Severus would be lucky if Harry ate half of what was on his plate.

"But he's a growing boy. Are you sure you don't want me to make something else for him?" Molly opened and closed the cabinets, looking for something to cook.

"I assure you he's getting enough calories just not in the traditional way." Severus filled his plate with salad, no dressing, two rolls, a bowl of soup, and a slice of chocolate cake, nothing that had a strong aroma.

"At least take this with you." Molly grabbed an ice lolly from the freezer cabinet. "Kids love them."

"Thank you." Severus placed a cooling charm over the ice lolly before climbing the stairs to the library with a tray of their plates and drinks floating behind him.

Severus deposited the tray on the library table. He pushed the books and parchment to one side and set the table with their plates, glasses, and silverware. If Harry continued to eat at a table, the repeated routine might help stimulate his child's appetite akin to Pavlov's system of classical conditioning.

Harry hobbled his way into the library, making his way straight to the sofa without bothering to so much as look at Severus. He watched Harry yank the wand holster off his forearm and set it on the side table before lying down and using his cloak as a blanket, his right hand absently scratching at his left forearm.

Severus locked and warded the door against eavesdroppers. Harry needed a break from the Order and his friends. Kneeling in front of the sofa, Severus cast a spell to check Harry's temperature. It was normal, but he felt his child's forehead anyway to double check.

"Do you want to go home?" Severus summoned his bag, pulling out the silver blanket and spreading it out over his son.

Harry shook his head, his fingers continuing to itch his arm.

"What's wrong with your arm?" He nudged Harry's hand away. The skin was pink from where Harry had been scratching it though there were no signs of a rash or abnormal skin discoloration.

"Nothing." Harry tried to pull his arm away. Severus tightened his grip.

"It's certainly not nothing, child. Does your skin itch all over or only this spot?" Severus sighed. Harry was shutting him out. The child would never grieve if he turned the switch off on his emotions and created a wall between himself and reality.

"It's just an itch," Harry said, his timbre small and defensive. 

Severus retrieved a flannel from his bag. "Aguamenti." He aimed his wand at the small square of white fabric. Once the flannel was wet Severus cast a mild cooling charm on it prior to laying it on Harry's forearm.

Harry didn't say anything, but his face relaxed.

"You need to take your meds." Severus fished out a small jar that contained Harry's lunchtime pills.

"I don't want to." Harry twisted away, rolling on his side to face the back of the sofa.

"C'mon." Severus tapped his son on the shoulder. "Take them, and I won't make you eat lunch."

"No." Harry covered his head with the blanket.

"This is not optional." Severus pulled the blanket down to his child's waist.

Harry whined. 

Severus rubbed Harry's back. He worked his way down the sides of his son's spine, the pressure behind his fingers lessening as he moved down each vertebra. Still when Severus hit a sore spot, Harry curled further into the fetal position. He felt Harry shudder under his hands, and Severus wondered why the child hadn't come to him for another dose of morphine.

It had been clear Harry was in pain from the moment he half-limped into the library, but Severus thought it was from the pain meds wearing off, not from Harry experiencing breakthrough pain.

"Sit up and take your meds. Otherwise we're going home," Severus said, his voice firm. Harry's refusal was ridiculous. The morphine that was included in his child's batch of pills would take the pain down to at the very least a manageable level. Didn't Harry want the pain to go away?

Harry sat up and held out his hand for the pills.

"Do you want water?"

The child glared at Severus and snatched the jar of pills instead. Harry dumped the pills into his hand, returning the small purple pills marked with an M to the jar. He swallowed the rest of the pills and lay back down.

"Harry," Severus sighed.

"Leave me alone."

"Why didn't you take the morphine?"

"I don't have to take it," Harry whispered.

"But you're in pain." Severus tried to reason with his child.

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not." He held out the pills in front of Harry's face. "Take them."

Harry shoved his arm away. "Go away."

Counting to ten, Severus pushed up off the floor and walked over to the library table. He would eat and wait for Harry to fall asleep. Then, he'd push a dose of morphine through a lumen in Harry's Hickman. He wasn't a Slytherin for nothing.

 

*~AIE~*

Harry woke to cold, gloved hands on his stomach. He tried to twist away, stopping when he felt a slight tug on his Hickman.

"Stay still." Severus lightly pinned him on his back.

"What are you doing?" Harry eyed the syringe Severus held in one hand. Besides the TPN, he wasn't getting any intravenous drugs this week and Miss Adamson had flushed all three lumens of his Hickman when she collected a blood sample that morning.

"I'm flushing your line." 

Harry struggled to sit up as pain rippled throughout his body. He took a sharp intake of breath, air catching in his throat. Harry coughed. He felt strong arms pull him up to sit with his torso angled forward.

"Calm down." One of Severus' arms supported his ribcage while the other massaged small circles into his back.

He closed his eyes as the fit ceased. His head pounded. "I told you I don't want anymore morphine," Harry whispered. Anything louder and his headache would escalate.

"Don't you want the pain to go away?" Severus sat down beside him and cradled his upper body.

Harry whimpered. He didn't deserve the man's comfort today. They were at Sirius' memorial. If Harry had mastered Occlumency or stayed at Hogwarts, they wouldn't be here. Sirius wouldn't be dead. He got Sirius killed, and he should welcome the pain as a reminder of his actions.

"Help me understand, child," Severus whispered.

"There's nothing to understand."

"Did something happen with Lupin or your friends?"

"I'm fine." Harry untangled himself and leaned against the sofa's arm, his knees pulled up to his chest.

"Why do you insist you're fine when you're not?" Severus ran a hand through his hair.

Harry shrugged. He wasn't about to admit his reasons to Severus. The man would tell him that Harry wasn't responsible for Sirius' death, that he was stupid for wanting to feel pain. It didn't matter what Severus would say. Harry knew the truth. Sirius died because of him just like his parents and everyone else who would die protecting The-Boy-Who-Lived before the war was over.

"Are you afraid of being drugged up around your friends?"

"No." Well maybe, but that wasn't his reason.

"You can't attend the memorial service like this." Severus started pacing.

"Why not?" What did his comfort level have anything to do if he could sit in a room while people talked about his godfather? At least that's what Harry assumed would happen. He had never attended a wizarding memorial or funeral outside of the few words Dumbledore said about Cedric after the Tri-Wizard Tournament last year.

Severus spun around to face him. "Because you can't move without flinching."

"Yes, I can!"

"Then prove it!" Snape raised his voice.

Harry felt a sense of déjà vu. Snape had uttered those exact words in that tone to him during Occlumency lessons. Severus had promised he wouldn't revert back to his Snapeish ways around him. Betrayal stabbed through his heart.

Harry marched towards the door, refusing to let a flinch or grimace cross his face.

"Harry, your shirt." Snape stopped him.

He looked down at his unbuttoned shirt. A lumen of his Hickman was hanging past his hip. Harry stomped back to the sofa. "No morphine."

"I'm sorry. It was never my intention to raise my voice." The Professor squeezed his hands.

"You lied." Harry shifted his gaze to the corner.

"I don't like seeing you in pain, child."

"It doesn't hurt that much." He could live with the pain as long as he stayed still. Moving hurt worse.

"Somehow, I find that hard to believe." Snape sighed. "Will you take one pill instead of two?"

Harry shook his head.

"And I suppose if I drag you home against your will you'll find your own way back for the memorial." Severus paced. "Do you know how impossible you are sometimes?"

Harry followed Severus with his eyes as the man walked from one side of the library to the other.

"I don't know why I'm indulging whatever misguided notions you're having. You're going to regret it later when the pain escalates all because you refuse to take two little pills. If I allow you to go to the memorial without the morphine, you will take it once we get home. No arguments. Deal?"

Harry nodded. That's all he wanted.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Did Harry's reaction surprise you?

Thanks to all my wonderful reviewers and readers. The first review of this chapter will be the 700th review! I never thought I'd get such a response when I first started posting this. I appreciate them all even if I don't always have the time to respond to every one individually.