Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Pax vobiscum = Peace be with you.

Lux aeterna = Eternal light.
Pax Vobiscum

 

Harry tugged at the sleeves of his shirt as he walked into the large sitting room where sofas, loveseats, and chairs were arranged in rows facing a table with pictures of Sirius sitting on top of it, the smallest one catching Harry's eye. Sirius looked younger than Harry had ever seen him. He was making funny faces at a small figure seated on a blanket on the floor. The baby with messy black hair giggled and crawled towards Sirius until the wizard scooped the baby up in his arms. Harry stopped mid-step.

"Are you sure you want to stay?" Severus whispered from behind as he squeezed Harry's shoulder.

Harry nodded, his gaze never leaving the picture. He shrugged off Severus' hand and sat down in the nearest chair.

Sirius and his younger self were happy. He looked like he didn't have a care in the world save for making it to Sirius' boots, and Sirius looked so worry-free. His godfather's hair was cut short and his face was free from any wrinkles or worry lines, but most important of all Sirius didn't have the dark cloud hanging over his head from his years in Azkaban.

"Harry, come sit up front with me." McGonagall gave him a sad smile.

He looked around the room. Order members were filing in and finding seats yet no one approached him or looked at him. In fact, the adults were so busy avoiding looking his way that it was beyond obvious and made Harry feel more uncomfortable than he already was.

"You can see the pictures better from there." She held out her hand.

Harry nodded, allowing himself to be pulled to his feet and ushered to the loveseat in the front row. Hermione patted a spot between her and Ron on the loveseat with a hopeful glint in her eyes.

"Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, I'm sorry there isn't enough room for you in the front row. Perhaps you could sit behind Mr. Potter?" McGonagall waved her hand to two empty chairs behind the loveseat.

Hermione opened her mouth to protest, and Ron elbowed her in her ribs. "C'mon, Hermione. We can play Exploding Snap with Harry after this is over. Right, mate?"

"Yeah," Harry lied. The only place he was going after the memorial was home. Severus had made that clear. "Or next time."

"You better practice then. We've been playing loads." Ron stood up, followed by Hermione.

Harry curled into the corner of the loveseat, his chin rested atop his knees and his arms wrapped around his legs. He bit his lip and clutched the fabric of his trousers in his fists as another spasm of pain shot up his back and straight to his brain. The tiny goblins that were determined to build a miniature Gringotts inside his head were back.

Familiar footsteps clipped against the wooden floor, drawing closer until Severus' robes blocked his view of Sirius' pictures. Harry looked up. Severus looked like he wanted to say something, but kept silent. Severus draped the blanket over Harry's shoulders before retreating to the wall, a nasty glare directed past him.

Harry grabbed the silver edges and wrapped the blanket further around him. He wanted to pull it over his head and add a layer between himself and the eyes he felt boring into the back of his head, his very bald head. Harry reached up and pulled his beanie down instead. He wasn't weak. He didn't need to hide under blankets.

"May I start, Harry?" Dumbledore asked in a gentle whisper.

Harry nodded, confused.

"As Sirius' heir, it is tradition for the person conducting the ceremony to ask for your consent," Minerva whispered beside him.

Harry shivered, tuning out Dumbledore's words. He didn't want to know how wonderful his godfather was or the brave things he did. Harry had gotten Sirius killed. If Harry hadn't rushed off to the Ministry of Magic, there wouldn't be any heir business to keep reminding him that Sirius was gone forever. 

Harry's gaze returned to the picture of Sirius and himself as a baby. He would give anything to get his hands on some unheard of spell and go back to 1981 when he was nothing but a careless baby whose biggest worry was what he'd eat next. His parents would still be alive and maybe there'd be some way to warn Severus to not give him up.

Even if he couldn't go back to 1981, he wanted to turn time back and tell Sirius not to go to the Ministry. Severus had been there to protect him. Sirius hadn't needed to be there at all.

Harry saw a flash of light knock Sirius into the Veil. The surface of the Veil rippled, Sirius disappearing from view as his wand clattered to the ground. Harry struggled against Remus' hold. He had to follow Sirius. There had to be some way back. Sirius couldn't be gone.

"I killed Sirius Black," Bellatrix screeched with laughter.

"No!" Harry broke free and ran after Bellatrix.

As Harry stepped into the atrium he felt the intrusion into his mind and things became hazy. Snape's cold hands cupped his head followed by the man's presence in his mind. Pain had erupted inside his head as Snape pushed Voldemort out and remained there protecting Harry's mind from another possession. Robe covered arms had encircled his body while a calming voice told him he was safe and to sleep.

Unconsciously, Harry rocked back and forth, refusing to deal with the images that played out in his head. He pushed the images away, finding the calm spot in his mind where there was nothing to hurt him and numbness spread throughout his mind and body.

 

*~AIE~*

Severus glared at Tonks until the young Auror turned her attention away from Harry. He had picked a spot on the wall where he could watch over the entire room. Despite Harry's current disposition of wanting nothing to do with him, Severus was watching his child like a hawk. Harry's gaze hadn't left the pictures displayed on the table since he had sat down, and Severus doubted Harry was hearing the words Dumbledore was saying. The child was a million miles away.

Sighing, Severus leaned against the wall, his arms crossed. Couldn't Dumbledore lose all the superfluous language and get on with it? Harry needed to be home and with a dose of morphine in him, not curled up on that loveseat in a nest of sorts with that silver blanket that Severus doubted he'd ever get back. Harry had taken to the charmed blanket like a baby to a security blanket, which Severus didn't intend to address. If his son drew comfort from something as simple as a blanket then great, Harry had more things to worry about than having a childish behavior brought to his attention.

Sometimes it was hard for Severus to believe Harry would turn sixteen next month. Harry reminded him of an adult at times and a child at others. As frustrating as their disagreement in the library was, it was one of the rare times Harry had displayed a normal adolescent behavior since summer began.

A slip of parchment poked his hip from where it resided in his trouser pocket. Earlier, Minerva had given him the floo address of a Muggleborn psychiatrist who specialized in adolescents. Severus was torn on whether to make an appointment for Harry. No doubt his son had numerous things that needed to be addressed, but would the idea of therapy be too much for his child? Harry already had one doctor that dictated his physical health, and Severus didn't want Harry to feel like he didn't have control over anything. The choice seemed ill fated either way.

"Not only have we lost a brave man, we have also lost a great wizard. Sirius Black was an Auror in the days before he was wrongfully convicted, and I have no doubt that if he had not been sent to Azkaban, he would have been an Auror until his death. His actions in the Ministry of Magic confirm my belief. Sirius died protecting his godchild from Death Eaters, though it is wise to remember that Sirius did not die because of you." The Headmaster caught Harry's attention.

Severus watched Harry shrink even further into the corner of the loveseat. Damn Albus. Did he have to bring up his son's guilt? He took a step forward, intending to comfort Harry, but froze as Harry's refusal to take his morphine made sense. Fingernails digging into his palms, Severus cursed under his breath. Could his son be anymore Gryffindorish? The child was punishing himself for Black's death. Severus resisted the urge to interrupt the memorial, portkey Harry home, and lecture him on foolish behavior. However, even if the child had idiotic reasons for suffering through pain, Severus was convinced more than ever that Harry needed the closure the memorial could bring.

"Sirius was a hero. He fought passionately for the destruction of Voldemort and wanted nothing but the best for his godson. I am sorry the two of you did not have the chance to spend much time together, Harry. It was my belief that you were safest with your relatives, a notion I now deeply regret." Albus frowned at Harry.

Severus saw Harry blink and lower his eyes to the floor, out of range for the Headmaster to employ Legilimency. Minerva gathered Harry into a side embrace, a look of fierce determination on her face as she shielded her favorite student from the Headmaster. She was not a witch to cross, especially when it came to her Gryffindors.

He slipped his wand out of his sleeve and cast an eavesdropping spell at Harry and his colleague. "Ignore him," Minerva whispered, "I told him they were the worst sort of Muggles, but he refused to listen."

"Sirius Black's death is a reminder of the danger we all face, yet we cannot back down. We must continue the fight against Voldemort in our quest to restore peace to our world. Although we may feel defeated in our grief let us remember there is hope," Albus looked at Harry again, "that the sacrifices we have faced and the ones to come are not in vain."

Severus growled. Harry was not the hope of the wizarding world. The Headmaster could anoint Harry as the Chosen One as much as we wanted, but Severus wouldn't allow his child to fight a battle that he had no chance of coming out of alive.

"Harry, the Headmaster will be presenting you with Sirius' wand. You are to wave it and say Lux Aeterna... Harry?" Minerva looked up at Severus, alarmed.

She didn't need to ask him twice. Severus knelt in front of his son. Harry didn't seem to notice him. "Child, I need you to do something for me, okay?"

The fragile body of his son jerked. Harry blinked and his eyes focused on Severus'.

"The Headmaster is going to hand you a wand. Wave it and say Lux Aeterna. After that we can go home."

Harry nodded.

"Pax vobiscum." Albus presented Black's intricately carved wand to Harry with the wand cradled in the Headmaster's open palms.

The wand was snatched up and dropped a second later as Harry realized whose wand he was holding. "No."

Severus picked up the wand. Ceremony dictated that in the absence of a spouse, it was the duty of the dead wizard's heir to release the magical energy left behind by the wizard in his wand for it was thought that a wizard could not completely rest in peace while a part of his magic remained locked in his wand. When the heir was either too young or incapable, assistance was allowed. "Place your hand over mine," Severus whispered as he held out his right arm, Black's wand held in his hand. "You don't have to touch it."

Harry set his hand on top of Severus'. The small hand was clammy and Harry's hand shook so bad that Severus' hand shook under it. "Lux Aeterna." Severus waved the wand.

A bright shower of silver and red sparks shot out from the wand as a peaceful warmth enveloped them. The sparks rose in the air, circling around in a dizzying display until a small silver and red glass stone floated down to them. Severus grabbed the stone and tucked it in his robes beside Black's wand.

"Take him home, Severus. I'll make your farewells for you." Minerva wrapped Harry up in one last hug.

"Thank you." Severus helped Harry to his feet before activating the portkey. There was a tug behind his navel, and an echoing of Miss Granger's voice as they were whooshed away to his quarters at Hogwarts.

Harry's knees buckled upon impacting the floor. Severus managed to slow his son's descent, but couldn't stop Harry's knees from sinking into the area rug. The child's eyes were closed and he looked a bit green. "You're okay. Put your hands down and lean forward." Severus rubbed the back of Harry's neck. "Breathe slowly."

He hadn't realized how much Harry would be affected by magical transportation, but even if he had what choice did they have? It wasn't like they could board a train without a security entourage like everyone else.

Harry laid down, his arms crossed underneath his head.

"No, you don't." Severus tapped his shoulder. "Go change and then you can choose either the sofa or your bed, but not the floor."

Without a word, Harry crawled up onto the sofa and closed his eyes.

Severus sighed as he removed his child's shoes. He had hoped that Harry would have become responsive upon their return home. Harry, however, seemed to have other ideas.

"Child, are you sure you don't wish to change? You'll be more comfortable." Severus tried again.

"It hurts to move," Harry whispered.

"Of course it does." Severus couldn't keep the sarcasm out of his tone, his patience nearing its end.

Striding to the kitchen to wash his hands, Severus returned with a small tray of supplies. "Remember, no arguing." Severus pushed Harry's sweater vest up and unbuttoned his shirt before putting on a set of gloves and freeing a lumen of Harry's Hickman. Once sanitized, Severus injected the much-needed dose of morphine.

 

*~AIE~*

The rest of the week went by in a blur. Between trying to balance Harry's physical and mental health and warding off unwelcome visitors, Severus had a hard time fitting in a full night's sleep. Harry hadn't spoken more than a few words and only when prompted. The child was clinging to whatever peace he had found inside his head and refusing to live in reality. Sure, Harry went through the motions every day, but there was nothing behind his green eyes. If Severus were honest with himself, Harry's behavior was starting to scare him. His child should've snapped out of it by now.

More than once, Severus had knelt in front of the floo with intentions to make an appointment for Harry with the psychiatrist, but every time he couldn't bring himself to do it. He promised himself he'd give Harry one more day to come around and then another and another until before he knew it, Friday had come and with it low blood counts and a cancellation of Harry's scheduled intrathecal injection to which Harry had blinked in response.

 

*~AIE~*

A field of white lilies surrounded Harry while a breeze blew across his face, his hair tickling his forehead. The sun warmed his skin from its place high in the sky without a cloud in sight. Harry stood and turned around, the lilies stretching as far as he could see in every direction.

Harry picked a lily and brought it to his nose, inhaling the delicate scent he imagined his mother had smelled like. The trickling sound of water was faint and Harry followed the sound, anxious for a dip in the warm waters.

"Hey kiddo." A figure jumped out of a patch of tall lilies to the left of a wide river.

"Sirius!" Harry ran to the figure. "I knew you'd come back."

"Of course. I couldn't leave you by yourself, now could I?" Sirius ruffled Harry's hair.

"I'm not alone. I know you might not like it, but I've got my dad now. He's been great." Harry looked away to avoid the look of anger that was sure to cross Sirius' face.

"Your dad? But Harry's he's over there." Sirius pointed across the river.

James sat under a tree on top of a red and white checked blanket while his mum was busy setting out plates and silverware for four.

"That's not who I meant. Severus is my dad."

Sirius scrunched up his forehead in confusion. "What are you talking about? Snape isn't your father. Lily would never let that greasy bastard touch her."

"Don't talk about him like that!" Harry's hands flew up in anger.

"But he's Snape!"

"Can we forget about it and cross the river?" Harry sighed. He didn't want to fight with Sirius when his parents were less than fifty feet away.

"Follow me," Sirius said with a nod, leading Harry to the river's edge. A bridge formed over the water. Sirius stepped onto the wooden boards his strides long and fast. "Hey James, you'll never believe what Harry said."

"Sirius, don't!" Harry called him. He stepped onto the bridge, but instead of hitting the wood, his foot went through it. Harry stumbled backwards, quick to avoid falling into the river. "I can't cross!"

"Sure you can," Sirius turned back to face him, "use the bridge."

"I can't." Harry looked up and down the river for another way across.

"I know your James' son and therefore a bit of a jokester, but first saying you're Snivellus' son and now this? You don't need to prove anything to your father. Stop the joking around."

"I'm not!" Harry fisted his hands up, the lily crushing in his palm.

"Harry, run!" Sirius yelled his voice panicked.

"What?"

"Run!"

Harry turned. Behind him, the field of lilies morphed from white to blood red, the petals liquefying and forming a tide that was headed straight for him. Harry jumped towards the river, but a barrier that felt similar to a shield held him back.

"Help! Sirius! Mum! Dad! I can't cross!" Harry searched his pockets for his wand and came up empty-handed.

"Hang on, kiddo!" Sirius jumped into the river as the river's flow sped up and he was carried away downstream.

"No! Sirius!" Harry pounded against the barrier.

His mum's screams filled his ears and before he knew it a bright green light flashed before his eyes.

Harry bolted upright, sending half the covers to the floor. His heart pounded in his chest. He looked around the darkened room for signs of anyone or anything. "Sirius?" Harry whispered, grabbing his wand from his nightstand and casting a Lumos.

Sirius wasn't in the room nor was anyone else. Harry fell back against his pillows, his breathing heavy. It was a nightmare, nothing more. Normal people had them, and if they could handle them so could he. Nevertheless, Harry wanted nothing more than to seek out Severus. He didn't want to be alone with his thoughts, and he had no desire to go back to sleep and relive that nightmare.

Wand in hand, Harry slipped out of bed, pulling the duvet with him. He grabbed a hold of his infusion pump, the wand wedged between his hand and the pump. The light from his Lumos reflected off the metal and Harry dropped the wand. "Nox! Nox!" Harry yelled at the wand as he backed away from it.

A snapping sound echoed off the walls as Harry rushed out of the room. He ignored it and made his way down the hallway, freezing at the cracked doorway of Severus' bedroom.

"Severus?" Harry whispered, his voice cracking in disuse. He didn't want to wake him if he was asleep, not over something as stupid as a nightmare.

After counting to one hundred twice without a reply, Harry slid down the wall, his knees pulled up to his chest. He felt somewhat comforted knowing Severus was on the other side of the door. At least he wasn't alone or in the same room as that stupid wand.

"Harry?" The door swung open, its hinges screaming in protest as wand light illuminated the hallway.

"I didn't wake you, did I?"

"It doesn't matter." Severus pulled Harry up and into his bedroom. "Sit."

Harry sat down on the edge of Severus' bed and Flurry walked over and settled next to him, purring as his hand pet her.

"What's wrong? Are you in pain?" The back of Severus' hand checked his forehead for a fever. 

"A little, but that's not it."

"What is it, then? Do I need to floo Miss Adamson?" Severus slid on his dressing gown.

"It's stupid. I shouldn't have woken you." Harry pulled at the sleeves of his henley.

"Harry, whatever it is, I'm pleased you woke me."

"Even for something as silly as a nightmare?" Harry looked at the floor.

"What happened in your dream?" Severus sat down beside him.

Harry shrugged. "I don't want to talk about it."

"I'll get the tea and chessboard."

Harry scrunched up his face. Tea sounded horrible.

"Hot chocolate and Monopoly?"

"With cinnamon."

 

Chapter End Notes:
I'm sorry for how long it took to update. After my preoccupation with Pottermore, the semester started and it's been read, read, read. Unfortunately, it's likely another chapter won't be posted until December after the semester ends. I have two 20 page papers to write. Yuck.

Thanks for the reviews, and I hope you enjoy the chapter!