Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus crawls on the floor? What?
Crawling Waves

Severus did not expect to be met with a house-elf when he stepped into his quarters. The creature startled the retired spy into almost losing his hold on Potter, but Severus' honed reflexes were quick and within a millisecond the boy was settled safely in his arms once again. "Dobby did to Harry Potter's room as Professor Snape said, sir, but Dobby need more instruction for the rest," the little house-elf reported.

The Potions Master nodded glad that Potter's room was finished. He had no desire to give up his own room to Potter for the night. "I will call upon you tomorrow to see to the rest. You are dismissed."

"Yes, sir. Dobby glad to be of help," the creature said before popping out of his quarters.

Despite the boy's slight weight, he was getting heavy. Severus shooed Flurry off the sofa, laying Potter there before heading to his small kitchen, one of the things on his list of modifications for his quarters.

First things first, Severus needed to coax the boy into eating dinner, and he had had enough of dealing with people or house-elves for the day so flooing the kitchens was out of the question. Severus searched through his cupboards, inventorying his stocks as he went. There wasn't much despite his enjoyment of cooking.  It was like potions except tastier and less explosive. He never cooked much during the school year, though, since his presence was all but required at the Staff Table during meals.

Finding a tin of vegetable soup, Severus went about heating it up to serve. His homemade soups were better, but the tinned version would do for tonight, and it was likely Potter wouldn't each much anyway. Once ready, Severus placed two filled bowls on a tray with crackers, a pitcher of water, and two glasses. With a wave of his hand, he sent the tray levitating into the sitting room and onto the coffee table.

Now onto the hard part getting Potter to actually eat. Severus was surprised the boy hadn't had an emotional outburst to the diagnosis, and almost preferred it to this numb, unresponsive Potter. He sighed. It just meant that when Potter cracked, it was going to be a spectacular show most likely in his presence for him to deal with. Although, Severus was gathering that might be a good thing for Potter even if it wasn't for him if Poppy's and Minerva's actions at the diagnosis were any indication.

Kneeling down in front of the sofa, he shook the teen's shoulder hoping for a response. "Potter... Harry, it's safe to come out," Severus said holding back the urge to slit his own throat. He couldn't believe his own words to James Potter's spawn! No, Severus reminded himself. Lily's son.

But for the first time, Severus knew he was seeing the child as just Harry, not his former enemy's son. A sick child entrusted into his care, to be responsible for making the boy's medical decisions, and more importantly as he had promised to Lily's memory hours earlier to make sure the boy lived to become a man. It was a startling revelation one that Severus couldn't believe happened so quickly, but as the Muggle saying went cancer changes everything.

He didn't doubt they'd continue to argue. They both had short fuses as far as tempers went, but ever since Severus scanned Potter's magical levels, Severus found his attitude towards Potter changed. And he couldn't get past those eyes. For years, Severus avoided looking past those dreadful glasses and into the fiery emeralds. Even during Occlumency lessons, Severus blocked them out, disassociating Potter from being connected to Lily. But today he couldn't and Lily's expressive eyes were never meant for tears or to show fear like he had seen in Potter. Laughter, happiness, and even a hint of mischief, Lily was no saint, belonged in those eyes.

"Harry," Severus tried again snapping his fingers in front of the boy's eyes. The teen blinked, and that was the response Severus was looking for. "Sit up, it's time to eat."

The Potions Master cursed himself as Potter winced in pain while he sat up. He should've given him a painkiller before he let Potter leave the procedure room, but that wasn't an easy fix in his quarters, as Harry couldn't have any potions in his system in preparation for his treatment due to potential and hazardous complications from mixing the two. Severus' emergency bottle of Muggle painkillers used when he had taken too many pain potions in a short amount of time to be safe, rolled somewhere out of sight after his return from his very last Death Eater meeting, and he'd forgotten to retrieve it since. Most likely it was stuck in a corner or under something somewhere after Flurry batted around the bottle as if it were a toy, making it resistant to summoning.

Instead, Severus transfigured a throw pillow into a cold compress before handing it to Potter. "Place it on your back. After dinner, I'll search for a painkiller for you."

"Thank you, sir. But you don't need to, I'll be fine," Harry insisted though his relaxation from the instant the cold compress touched his back proved otherwise.

"Nonsense," Severus waved the boy off. "It won't take long, and it'll help you sleep better. Now eat." He sat on the coffee table and took his own bowl, not about to be accused of being a hypocrite.

"I'm not hungry. Can I just go back to Gryffindor? I need to start packing," Potter said, standing up from the sofa.

"Packing? Where do you think you're going? The house-elves can pack for you," Severus asked confused.

"Oh. Well, I guess I could let them do it," Harry rambled.

"Potter, sit down!" Severus snapped, not meaning to make the boy flinch. "You're not going anywhere."

"What? But my treatments? Won't I have to go to St. Mungo's?" Ah, the boy thought they'd just ship him off because he was sick.

"Harry, your treatments will happen here. Poppy is consulting with a specialist from St. Mungo's that you will meet later in the week, but the medications will be sent to Hogwarts. Most of the treatments will even be administered here, in my quarters instead of the Hospital Wing where you'll be more comfortable. The specialist will floo in when she needs to, but Madame Pomfrey and I can handle the administration of them."

"Here? You mean I'm still staying with you?" Potter asked, waiting for Severus' nod. "But I thought it was just for lessons?"

"St. Mungo's is too dangerous for an extended stay, and Albus and I agree that it would be too difficult for your Muggle relatives to bring you to your treatments there," Severus explained.

"Oh," Harry said and Severus couldn't tell if the boy was happy with the situation or not.

"That is if you agree. If not something else can be arranged," Severus set aside his bowl of soup. It looked like they were going to have this conversation now rather than later. He had hoped the diagnosis would be enough for one day. Severus didn't want to push the child into a breakdown however likely one was to happen sooner or later. "I asked the Headmaster for permission to be your medical proxy. That would give me the responsibility of making your medical choices for you until you are of age. But, I know you are old enough to have at the very least an input on the decisions being made for you. I promise that I will listen to what you have to say, and this is your first chance. Do you agree to stay here this summer and let me be your medical proxy?"

Severus could see the boy's surprise at both the arrangement and asking for his input. Teenagers never did best feeling everything was out of their control, especially when as in Harry's case there were so many other things in his life he couldn't control. This was a way for Harry to be in control of something, at least partly.

"What would be expected of me, sir?" Potter asked with a flinch like he was going to be yelled at for asking.

"It will depend on how you feel that day. I expect you to keep your room tidy," Severus thought out his response. It was a good question from the teen.

"My room?" Potter asked surprised. Severus frowned. Did Potter think Severus would make him sleep on the sofa the whole summer?

"Yes, Mr. Potter, your room. I can't have you as a permanent guest taking up my sofa. Flurry would be most displeased," Severus batted the little terror away from tugging on the hem of his robes while he thought out what else he expected from Potter. "I will also expect you to have your summer assignments done in time for term to begin, and not rushed to completion in the last week. Depending on how things go, I might arrange with your teachers for you to start your lessons before term begins so that you won't have such a hard time keeping up, nor will you feel the pressure of having to complete a heavy course load in between your treatments."

"Are they going to last that long? Into term I mean?" Potter curled his legs up underneath him. Severus saw the warning in Potter's body language and looked to steer the conversation into another direction.

"I wished to wait until tomorrow to go into detail as you've taken in enough tonight, but in all likelihood you won't be attending classes at first once term starts or if you do, it'll only be a few of them. That does not mean you will fall behind," Severus assured. Keeping pace with his classmates could give Potter some sense of normalcy amidst the chaos. "Your education will be one of my priorities for you."

"Will I have chores?" The boy scooped Flurry off the floor where he settled her into his lap to pet her. Harry seemed to be as glad as Severus with a change of subject.

"Again depending on how you feel that day I may ask you to help cook or perform a few household spells which will be a good way to remind your magic what it's supposed to be doing. On some days, I may ask you to help prepare some ingredients while I brew. It will be a good way to keep your brewing skills from regressing if you don't wish to fall behind your class," Severus treaded carefully with the subject of Potions, but it would be ridiculous on all levels if the teen's brewing skills weren't improved while staying with one of Europe's premiere potions masters.

"But sir, I don't think I got an O on my O.W.L," Harry objected, defeat evident in his tone.

"Then we will have to improve your skills until you make me accept you into my class. I will not have a child under my care that doesn't at least attempt his N.E.W.T. in Potions," Severus reasoned. He would never hear the end of it from any of his potions colleagues otherwise, and Lily excelled in potions as well. There had to be talent buried in Potter somewhere.

Harry groaned.

"It won't be like in class or those disastrous Occlumency lessons. I don't have to favor Death Eater children any longer, and I tend to work better teaching a student one on one when both the student and teacher are willing to work together. There is hope for you yet. Any other questions?"

"What about my friends?" Potter paused. "Oh and Hedwig? Can she stay in my room?"

"We'll deal with your friends as it comes. I will allow you to have them visit one or two at a time, occasionally for a few hours if you are up to it, and it is safe to do so," Severus couldn't believe he'd be willing to play host to a group of Gryffindors, but it was important for Potter to keep a positive mindset. His friends would help ensure that.  "Unfortunately, I cannot allow Hedwig to stay in your room as she carries germs from outside and wherever she flies that could be dangerous to you. Germs will be your enemy. Your first priority will always be your health. Everything must come after that."

Harry's shoulders slumped and for a split second Severus felt a wave of alien emotion. Was that what it felt like disappointing someone? It had been so long that Severus had let himself feel anything but anger and hatred.

"But, Harry," Severus continued hoping to see a flicker of hope return to Harry's eyes, "if you agree to this and follow what I say even when you hate me because there will be times during your treatments that you will, I promise I will do everything possible to see you through this."

"Okay," Potter said a spark of hope and weary trust lighting up his eyes. "I want to do this."

"It is agreed then, Potter," Severus held out his hand for Potter to shake, a feeling of warmth wrapping around him. "The Headmaster will have the papers ready tomorrow, and you should be present when I sign them."

"One more thing," Potter said, withholding his hand.

"Yes?" Severus was afraid of Potter's request. Just the right look and the boy could have anything he wanted at the moment. Damn Potter for getting under his skin.

"You have to promise you'll start calling me Harry."

That was something Severus could do.

"Indeed? It may take me some time to get used to, Po...Harry. However, in class it will always be Mr. Potter or Potter."

"I understand. Agreed." Harry shook Severus' hand as if they were formalizing a business deal.

"Now, eat your dinner." Severus chided.

-------

Cracking a small smile, Harry set Flurry on the floor before digging into his soup, finding he could only stomach a few bites. "Professor?" Harry asked, pushing away his bowl.

"That is fine," Snape said banishing the dishes to the kitchen. "Are you set on returning to Gryffindor Tower or are you staying here?"

"I can stay here already?" Harry asked surprised Snape wasn't pushing him out the door despite the agreement they had come to.

"That was my original intention in bringing you down here. I didn't think you'd wish to face your friends tonight."

That was right. The cancer thing. He couldn't believe he almost forgot. Harry knew the moment he stepped into Gryffindor Tower, Hermione would be asking him questions, questions he didn't want to or know how to answer.

"Do you wish to tell you friends?" Snape asked giving Harry an opening to express his thoughts, which was weird in itself. Did he? Hermione would know all about cancer, more than he did which scared him. He knew Snape was leaving out some things and they hadn't gone over his treatments yet, not really except that he'd have them whatever they were. Ron, on the other hand, wouldn't know a thing about cancer, but Hermione would inform him before Harry could explain it himself. No, Harry didn't want his friends to know, at least not yet.

"Not really," Harry answered. "I don't want them to worry. Maybe later. I think I'll stay here tonight. You said we have things to discuss in the morning anyways."

"We do. Come, I'll show you to your room then," Snape stood up, motioning for Harry to follow him.

Harry got up gingerly, walking over to the left side of the room where a small hallway was located. He noticed Snape slowed his pace, which Harry thanked Merlin for. With his lower back hipbone area hurting, Harry knew he couldn't keep up with Snape's normally hasty pace, another good reason to not return to the tower. He'd never make it up all those steps.

"That's the entrance to my private lab," Snape pointed to the first door on the left. "It's warded so that you may enter only if I am within the lab or I am accompanying you. There are too many dangerous ingredients and potions that you may accidentally get into for me to allow you in there by yourself."

Harry didn't know if he should be offended or not, but when he thought about it, Harry wasn't. It was likely Snape still had the potions Voldemort made him brew or the ingredients for them. He shivered. No, he wouldn't be trying to break into Snape's lab anytime soon.

"This is your room," Snape said, his hand on the first door on the right, turning the doorknob. "My room is at the end of the hall should you need me. The house-elves worked on your room today while we were in the Hospital Wing, but should you wish to change something, it can be arranged."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said walking through the opened door.

He didn't know what he was expecting, but it wasn't this. The room was huge by his standards with a large four-poster bed situated on the left wall with a nightstand on each side. A wardrobe sat on the far wall dividing the room into bedroom and sitting area complete with a large desk with enough drawers to hold all of his school supplies two times over and a chaise lounge. But Harry's favorite part of the room had to be the window seat on the bedroom side far wall with its own enchanted window displaying the grounds. All the woodwork was a matching dark wood he couldn't identify and the walls were plastered over and painted a light blue. Harry even spotted a door, which presumably led to his own bathroom!

"Is it to your liking?" Snape asked in a weird tone that made Harry believe Snape actually cared if he liked the room or not.

"Yes!" Harry exclaimed before reining in his voice. This was still Snape after all. "It's the best room I've ever had, sir."

"I'll be sure to inform the house-elves that it met your satisfaction. They informed me of one trick they couldn't help but place into your room," Snape said rolling his eyes though Harry could tell Snape's display was a show. The Potions Master clapped his hands two times causing a strange soothing noise to fill the room. "Look," Snape pointed to the wall behind them.

Waves! A moving mural was painted on the wall on the bedroom side of an abandoned beach with waves rolling up on shore. It sounded more amazing than he ever imagined, like he was actually at the beach. The sound was rhythmic, soothing, and made him sleepy just listening to it. Harry with the cold compress wedged between his side and arm clapped two times to cut off the sound.

"Three claps turns the mural on and off," Snape informed him, amused.

Harry clapped three times resulting in the mural disappearing to reveal the plain blue wall. He revised his earlier decision. The mural was his favorite thing in the room.

"Get into bed. You can gawk at your mural from there," Snape nudged him towards bed, a hint of the snarky man returning. "Do you wish to read before bed or are you tired enough to fall asleep? I'll lend you a book from my library if you wish."

"You have a library?" Harry asked surprised. He expected Snape to have a lot of books, but not his own library at Hogwarts.

"Yes, perhaps I'll show it to you tomorrow. So a book?"

"No, not tonight," Harry answered. If anything he planned to watch and listen to his mural. "I'm tired."

Snape nodded. "I'll go search for that painkiller for you then."

"Sir, you really don't have to," Harry said while climbing into bed.

"I insist," Snape halted Harry from further discussion before turning on the spot and striding out of the room.

That was weird. Harry couldn't think the day could get any stranger, but he put aside all thoughts as he snuggled into the bed, his bed. It was soft with thick dark blue blankets and fluffy pillows. Warm. He clapped a total of five times and smiled before rolling onto his stomach, his head towards the mural and cold compress balanced on his back.

------

Severus trekked from Potter's, no Harry's room to pass through his own bedroom and into his bathroom, the last place he had seen his emergency bottle of painkillers. Never one to doubt logic, Severus summoned the bottle, but as expected nothing zoomed through the air. He kneeled down on the floor, looking behind the sink and toilet with no luck.

Continuing his crawl with Flurry following him around like a duckling following its mother, Severus reached his bedroom cursing the hard stone floors. Even with area rugs covering his bedroom floor, the floor was hard on his knees for he wasn't as young as he used to be. Severus tried summoning the bottle again. Nothing flew through the air, but a small rattle came from underneath his wardrobe.

Potter had better appreciate it because Severus was going to have bruises on his knees by morning. Once by his wardrobe, he lay flat on his stomach and took out his wand. With a nonverbal Lumos, Severus stuck his lighted wand underneath the wardrobe, sweeping it from left to right.

There! In the back right corner wedged between the floor and decorative edging was the plastic pill bottle. Severus extended his arm underneath the wardrobe as far as his arm would go, but it was not enough. With a groan, he used his wand to fish the pill bottle free, something he'd admonish every one of his students for. The pill bottle flew free, and skidded across the floor. Flurry took off after the bottle determined for it to be her new toy.

"Flurry!" Severus scolded his cat before the bottle could be lodged somewhere else. The fluffy cat stopped in her tracks, turning to him as if to say sorry Dad. He stood up, his knees and back cracking in protest before summoning the bottle from the floor.

The Potions Master walked from his room back to Harry's. He wasn't surprised to see the boy staring and listening to the wall mural on the edge of sleep. The house-elves had done their job well. He retrieved a glass of water from the boy's bathroom before handing Potter, Harry it was going to take time for him to get that right, the glass and half a Vicodin pill. The teen wordlessly swallowed the pill chasing it with water before settling back into his little nest.

"Good night, Harry," Severus said lowering the lights to leave just enough light for Harry to watch his mural.

"Good night, sir," Harry responded, his voice filled with sleep as Severus exited the room, leaving the door open a crack.

Severus sighed. With Harry taken care of for the night, he had his own obligations to turn to. The large stack of essays and projects sitting on his table loomed large. At times likes these he wondered why he bothered giving his students so much work. Did he really wish to torture himself? But that option was past, leaving Severus to a late night in hopes of making a dent into the pile.

However, luck just wasn't on his side today. Sitting in his sitting room in a chair by the fireplace waiting for him was the Headmaster. "Severus," Albus acknowledged. "I trust Harry is asleep for the night."

"He's in his room, yes. He wasn't quite sleeping when I left," Severus answered. "What is it?"

"Severus, we need to talk," Albus said, gesturing for Severus to take a seat.

"We are talking, Albus. I have a lot of work to catch up on, so please make it quick," Severus snapped, his patience slipping after keeping it in check all day.

"Severus, my boy," the Headmaster continued with a sigh. "We must talk. Sit." Severus acquiesced sitting down in his chair wondering just what else Albus had to tell him. 

Chapter End Notes:
Harry and Severus got a little reprieve this chapter. Next chapter Harry will find out what his treatments entail unless of course Dumbledore's words to Severus take precedence.

Oh and I wonder who really thought of the mural? Please review.