Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Christmas Eve at Remus's home, and presents are opened. Lucius sends Severus a letter, while Hagrid tries to give a peace offering to Tevin. Finally, a visit to Diagon Alley.

(Thanks to all reviewers! I hope everyone enjoys this update! Happy reading!)
Chapter 20 - Christmas Curiosities

 

Severus considered it a small mercy that most of the students of Hogwarts had gone home during the holiday.  There were only a few students in the whole Great Hall that were fortunate enough to see him borderline lethargic!  He was exhausted. 

Last night was Christmas Eve and it was the busiest he'd been on that particular day since before he'd pushed his Lily to James Potter's...protection.  Even tired, Severus managed to smile as he thought of the first Christmas he'd spent in Lily's company with her family during the holiday.  Then, his smile faded as soon as it brightened his expression.  With a strangely jealous feeling, he thought of how he'd never gotten the chance to spend Christmas with Lily as his wife.  Hospitalization - thanks to a battle and a rather nasty combination of spells - had robbed him of the opportunity the first year from visiting his wife where she lived in Godric's Hollow, which he'd gifted to her and James after their staged wedding.  He'd been in Saint Mungo's for several months, finally waking up in early March, only to have his heart broken when his sweet Lily had told him that the child growing inside of her...was not his.  And so, he'd missed the last opportunity to spend Christmas with his wife.  And now, James was dead, his Lily was dead, but their son survived.

But the boy was his.  Severus looked down at the boy sitting on his lap at the table with a bittersweet smile.  His wife lived through their son.  If the last few weeks were anything to go by, the boy had inherited her lively nature.  Severus tiredly grinned.  He knew he was in for a long and exhausting fatherhood.  Just like with Lily, he was expecting to be pulled along for the ride by his son, and he was determined to enjoy every moment of it.


It was Remus's idea to let Tevin open his presents on Christmas Eve, rather than Christmas Day.  "Lily did it too.  She had everyone there exchange presents.  I think she was hoping that it would allow her time to sleep the next morning.  She most likely didn't want to be awakened by an overexcited little boy - and by that I mean James, not your son.  Can you imagine what it would be like when Tevin's old enough to run in and jump on your bed and wake you up on Christmas morning screaming about presents and everything?"  Remus's eyes glowed with a childlike enthusiasm as he said this, as though he had experience with this practice.

Severus looked at Remus gravely.  "It'd be a nightmare."  Remus had laughed at that. 

Ophelia walked into the room from the kitchen wiping Tevin's face.  "Seems your son, Severus, was so excited for Christmas that he had trouble keeping his food in his mouth." 

Severus stood and went to Ophelia holding out his arms.  "Are you excited for Christmas, Tevin?"  Tevin smiled mischievously and nodded as he practically leaped into his father's arms.  Severus smiled as he walked his son to the modest Christmas tree in the corner of Remus's parlor.  They'd all agreed to spend Christmas Eve at Remus's flat just in case anyone who was unaware of their friendship happened to try to stop by Spinner's End or Severus's home in Hogwarts.  Remus had taken care of decorating the tree since Severus had very little practice in it himself.  He suspected that were he to decorate a Christmas tree, it would turn out looking rather dreadful.  

Severus managed to lower himself onto the floor without using his hands, since they were occupied by his young son.  Tevin's arms began to flail in his excitement when he saw the small amount of colorfully wrapped presents.  Severus laughed at his son's excitement. 

"Let him down, Severus, before the boy manages to stupefy you with a good smack to your face," said Remus with a chuckle from his seated position near the tree.  He was also on the floor. 

Severus allowed the frantically squirming Tevin out of his hold.  Remus smiled at his godson, who was heading directly to the presents.  "Wait, wait, Tevin!  You remember how this works!"  Tevin stopped instantly and looked at Remus with wide eyes.  "You have to let someone give out the presents." 

"Pwesents!"

Remus smiled.  "Yes, Tevin, presents." 

"Now?"

Remus shook his head, laughing quietly, as he reached underneath the tree and picked up the first present.  He looked at the attached tag.  "Ophelia."  She walked towards the others and lowered herself with them to the floor.  Remus handed her the present.  Remus went through some more, handing them out to those intended to receive it.  He went to pick up another one, but found it snatched away by Tevin.

"Tevin?"

Tevin chewed on his bottom lip nervously.  He got to his feet and walked to his godfather with the present.  Remus watched as the boy walked to him and in a single movement thrust the thin package at him, and lowered his eyes.  "This for me?"  Tevin nodded, still not looking up at the man.  Remus smiled and took the present.  "Thank you, Tevin." 

"Kay..."  Tevin walked back to his father, who was smiling at his son. 

"That was very nice, Tevin."  Tevin threw himself at Severus and hugged him.  Severus looked at Remus.  "He picked it out himself." 

Remus nodded with a smile.  "Well, should we do this all at once or watch everyone?" 

"E'ryone!" Tevin shouted from where he'd climbed to perch in his father's lap. 

Everyone began to open their presents, although Severus had a little difficulty with an enthusiastic child in his lap.  He took his time opening his gifts in favor of watching his son open his presents with the same energy and laughter that was pure Lily.  He found himself suddenly wondering what it would have been like to spend Christmas with Lily as her husband, or as a husband and father at the same time.  He looked down at his son tearing the paper from a present and Severus realized that just a father would have to be enough. 

He was so distracted that he didn't even notice Ophelia and Remus give polite hugs for their gifts to each other.  Remus had been given a book by Ophelia, all about mythologies of the world.  She remembered that Remus was usually found lurking in that section of the library for fun as a student, reading every myth he could find.  ‘Myths have the best and most inspiring stories,' he'd once explained.  ‘They make you want to do something extraordinary with your life.' Remus had given Ophelia a pair of gardening pots that were charmed to water themselves if you were away from them. 

Remus had then opened the gift he'd received from Severus.  It was small, but it consisted of three different darkly-stained glass jars, each with specific labels.  One was Raspberry Tea, another Strawberry Tea, and the last was Chamomile Tea.  "Thank you, Severus." 

"It should help you through your pain." 

Remus opened the last present, the thin wrapped item from his godson.  He gently removed the wrapping.  "Look, son," Severus said to the boy who was snuggling himself in the silver, green, maroon, and gold afghan Ophelia had given his son.  "Look.  Remus is opening your present."  Tevin gasped in anticipation and watched the unwrapping. 

When Remus revealed the present in the wrapping, he smiled and chuckled.  It was a chocolate bar.  Remus looked at his godson.  "Thank you, Tevin."

"Like it?"

"Yes, I do.  I'm sure it'll be delicious."

"Dilcious," Tevin tested the word.  Everyone softly laughed. 

Tevin looked up at Severus.  "Daddy?  Open pwesents!" 

Severus smiled.  "Alright, alright."  Severus picked up a square box and delicately removed the paper, hoping to rip it as little as possible to maybe use it on someone's future present.  Lily had made fun of him when he'd spent Christmas with her family and he'd carefully folded up the decorative paper from his present.  What she didn't make fun of, though, was when she found it in his trunk carefully hidden in a small box labeled "Fondest Memories."  When she'd asked him what made it special, he'd told her he wanted to remember his happiest Christmas, and rather than hide the present itself away, he could hide its wrapping.  He'd made her smile then. 

He opened the box and found a neatly folded scarf.  He reached inside the box and took it out.  It surprised him with his thickness and its warmth.  It was dark emerald green, and it shimmered like fine satin.  He rubbed the scarf between his thumb and fingers and was impressed with the feel of it.  It flowed and felt like silk.  It was a very appealing scarf. 

Severus looked up at Remus and Ophelia.  "Who is this from?" 

"Me!" chirped a delighted voice below his eyes. 

Severus looked down at Tevin.  "You?"  Tevin nodded, chewing on his lip.  "It's very nice.  Thank you." 

"Wear it." the little boy insisted. 

"Now?  It's a little warm right now for it, Tevin."  Severus glanced at the roaring fire nearby. 

"Wear it!" he shrieked.  He wanted to see his father wear his first Christmas present and he was not taking no for an answer.  Severus looked at his son and obeyed.  He wound the scarf once around his neck, leaving the two ends dangling on either side. 

"How does it look?" 

Remus and Ophelia were trying to hold back a giggle as Tevin reached up and yanked hard on both ends of the scarf, tightening it around Severus's neck.  Severus was jarred down at the movement, and he gasped more in surprise than from actually choking.  Tevin had a look of satisfaction on his face.  "Good!" he proclaimed.  Tevin smiled at Severus and the two pairs of brown eyes held for a moment. 

Then Tevin seemed to remember.  "More pwesents!"  Severus laughed softly.

He reached around his son and picked up two thin rectangular boxes.  The one tagged for him was longer than the one he'd marked for his son.  He gave the smaller one to Tevin and once the boy began opening it, he untied the string around his own present.  He knew it was from Remus by the string.  When he opened the lid to the revealed box, his breath was stolen from him and he stared in surprise at the item resting gently on folded fabric in the box he held.  He didn't hear anything.  He missed his son's reaction to his gift.  He missed Ophelia explain to Tevin that it was like a pencil but of a feather.  He missed Tevin try out the writing instrument on the box in which it came.  Severus's attention was focused on the item he held. 

"Severus?"  Remus asked, wondering if he'd made a mistake in his choice of present.  "Are you alright?" 

With his attention still focused on the gift, he replied with the only words he could manage.  "Where did you...get this?" 

Remus offered a crooked smile.  "I went to Godric's Hollow after all of the Aurors and Muggles had left, and...took a few things.  I hope that it was alright." 

"Yes," Severus whispered, trying to find his voice. 

He felt a tug on his sleeve and then heard his son's voice.  "Wha' is it?"

Severus reached into the box with his other hand, and tenderly, reverently brushed his fingertips along the smooth, polished object inside the box.  "It's a wand, Tevin." 

"A wan'?"  Tevin crinkled his nose in confusion.  "Swan?  Mommy?"

Severus flinched.  "Your mother's wand."  Severus continued to caress the wand he would have recognized instantly.  Severus sighed as he thought of the owner of this wand, his dear wife, his best friend.  Finally, he was able to tear his eyes from the willow wand to tearfully meet Remus's eyes.  "Thank you."  Remus nodded at him.  "I'm sorry I failed in returning the gesture." 

"You've made me your son's godfather and continue to brew the Wolfsbane Potion monthly for me.  That's enough for me." 

Severus looked again at Lily's wand safely nestled in the the soft emerald fabric and ran his fingers along it as though he were imagining the surface he stroked was her warm skin and not the cold wood of the wand. 

Ophelia noticed that Severus was completely distracted by Lily's wand, and so she decided to distract Tevin.  She held up the boy's last wrapped present.  "Come here, young man."  Tevin crawled out of Severus's lap and across the floor to Ophelia.  Once he crawled into her lap she gave him the very small box.  He struggled with the string for a minute and giggled as it gave him trouble.  Severus looked at his son as he replaced the lid on the box of his gift.  He watched his son open his last present.  Tevin had trouble getting the item out of the box and so decided to dump it out into his other hand.  Tevin looked at the golden orb curiously, while Ophelia smiled, and Severus groaned. 

"Really, did you have to give him a Golden Snitch?"

Remus smiled.  "Well, it was James's snitch.  It was in their vault." 

"How do you have access to Potter's vault?"

Remus looked ashamed of himself for a moment.  "Because it's a little difficult for a werewolf to gain employment, James supported me financially with what I needed.  He and Lily gave me another key to their vault for whenever I would need it.  Don't worry.  It isn't your son's vault that they set up.  It's a different one.  I'm not taking money from your son." 

"I didn't think you would." 

"No, no.  It's from James's inheritance, I swear." 

Tevin gave a fearful shout when the golden orb sprouted wings and began to hover at his eye level.  Severus rolled his eyes.  "Really, Remus, a snitch?"

Remus looked fondly at Tevin, who reached out to the snitch, which dodged his hand.  "You know, if Lily wasn't so outspoken your son would already be playing with it.  James wanted to give it to him when he bought him the training broom.  But Lily refused saying it was too dangerous."

"It is."

Remus smiled at Severus.  "I know you, like Lily, want to raise a bookworm, but the boy has to have some play mixed in with his work and learning.  Not everything can be about education.  Let him have some fun.  He is a child you know, Severus." 

Severus sighed, turning his attention to Tevin, who was now on his feet trying to chase after the snitch, which staying just ahead of him.  "Who knows," he said, "perhaps chasing the snitch will improve his walking-"

"And running," supplied Ophelia. 

Suddenly, Tevin dove towards the snitch, pinning it underneath his body.  The three adults laughed.  "Or how to fall without injury."

Severus glared without meaning it at Remus.  "Don't give him ideas, now."


Now it was breakfast on Christmas morning, and Severus was tired.  His son was constantly stealing food from his plate, having the best position to do so being perched directly in front of it on his father's lap.  He was stealing a rather crunchy piece of bacon when an owl landed directly in front of the plate, slamming the small box it carried onto the table.  Tevin shrieked and flung his arms up, the bacon sailing through the air. 

Severus reached towards the owl who gripped a letter in its beak.  With a gentle tug, the owl let it go and then flew away.  Severus carefully opened the envelope and began reading. 

 

Severus,

As a gesture of apology, please accept this gift from my wife and me.  Furthermore, before things turned sour at my home, we had proposed to get your son a Christmas present.  Unfortunately, what we have in mind will only work if you were to accompany us.  It will not harm him, I swear it.  But, should you decide to accept this offer, meet with us in the Leaky Cauldron at twelve o'clock, noon, today.  We hope you will accept. 

                                                                          Lucius

 

Severus put the letter down on the table between himself and Ophelia before reaching for the box that the owl left on the table.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw Ophelia pick up the letter to read.  He opened the box and looked inside.

"Pwesent?"

"Yes, son, it's a present."

"Mine?"

Severus smiled at Tevin.  "No, for me."  He recognized the item inside instantly.  It was a pair of ultra thick dragon hide gloves, which should be used when brewing particularly dangerous potions.  They were expensive.  For a fleeting moment Severus thought that Lucius was trying to almost purchase his friendship.  ‘He has no motive to do that, though,' he thought.  He closed the box again, and then looked to Ophelia, whose expression darkened at the letter. 

"Would you go with us to meet them?" 

Ophelia sighed and looked at Severus nervously.  "I'm not feeling that well, Severus."

Severus's expression softened.  He knew it was a lie.  "He won't insult you."

"I know, but...I don't want to be near them again yet."  She looked down.  "Just...tell them I'm sick or something, anything." 

"Alright.  I won't force you." 

Ophelia nodded and stood from her place only to run into Hagrid.  "‘Ello, Mrs. Snape.  Surprised ye didn't see me comin' righ' at ye."  Hagrid held a basket in his big arms, which had a rather thick cloth draped over it.  He was looking a little anxious about something, but Ophelia couldn't tell what.  She suspected it had something to do with whatever was covered up in the basket. 

"If ye don' mind I ‘ave a present fer young Tevin." 

Ophelia shifted out of his way and Hagrid slowly made his way to Severus and Tevin.  Hagrid froze when Tevin caught sight of him and pierced him with huge, fearful eyes.  Tevin reached up and grabbed his father's arm tightly before he began whimpering in fright.  Severus looked apologetically at Hagrid.  "Tevin, it's alright.  It's only Hagrid."

"Big and scary and hairy!" 

Severus held back a smile at the words chosen to describe the half-giant standing next to him.  "I know he's big and hairy, but he's not scary."  Tevin's whimpering grew louder as he clung to Severus with his other hand.  "He won't hurt you."  Tevin snuggled as close to Severus's chest as he could and buried his face in his black robes.  If he wasn't seeing Hagrid, then maybe he'd go away. 

"What is that, Hagrid?" Severus asked, nodding at the covered basket. 

"Oh, well, uh...I brought a peace offerin' fer Tevin.  Dinna mean te scare ‘im like tha' when I firs' met ‘im."  He held the basket out towards Severus and Tevin.  Slowly and carefully, Hagrid lifted up the covering.  Severus craned his neck in curiosity to peer into the basket. 

Something mewed inside it!

Two glowing eyes peered back at Severus.  Severus was not about to lean closer.  Then, the creature came a little into the light.  It was an animal Severus was familiar with, but one with which Ophelia was even more acquainted.  "Why do you have a kneazle, Hagrid?" she asked. 

By this point, Tevin bravely peeked his head over his father's arm, on which he still maintained a tight grip.  He was studying the kneazle from the safety of his father's arm, but he did not dare look away from this creature.  Hagrid noticed that the little boy was actually looking at it. 

"Happy Christmas, Tevin," he tried, slowly bringing the basket closer to Severus's arm.  "It's a baby one.  Only two months old.  She canna hurt ye.  Claws aren't sharp yet." 

Tevin stared at the little kneazle.  It was small and fluffy and had big eyes.  Tevin chewed on his bottom lip.  Then he looked up at Severus who nodded at him.  Tevin then looked at Ophelia and she smiled encouragingly at him.  As he was looking between the two, no one but Hagrid noticed that the kneazle had climbed out of the basket and had snuck under Severus's arm to join Tevin on his father's lap.  Then, Tevin felt something nuzzle his side and he looked down to see the kneazle!  The boy froze and looked at it clearly frightened. 

Everyone was looking at the situation occurring on Severus's lap with tense anticipation, but no one made a move towards improving it.  Severus took a deep breath and had an idea.  He began to stroke the fur of the kneazle that was trying to snuggle with his son.  He didn't understand why this particular creature would frighten him since he'd played with them at Arabella Figg's house.  Maybe it was because it came from Hagrid.  Severus hoped that by showing Tevin that petting the kneazle and that it was safe, his son would calm down.  After watching his father run his hand along the purring kneazle Tevin figured it was safe and he began to do the same, but with a little rougher force.  Severus, having no desire to be stabbed by the creature's claws, sharp or not, and he took his son's hand and guided him on how to pet the animal.  "This is not like your dog or your swan or your bear, Tevin.  You have to be nice to it." 

"Nice," repeated Tevin as Severus guided him in petting the kneazle. 

"Now, what do you say to Hagrid?"

Tevin looked up from the furry animal and up at the very hairy giant.  He took a big gulp and managed to say, "Tanks, Haggid." 

Hagrid smiled.  "Yer welcome, Tevin!"  Then, suddenly, Hagrid let out a huge sneeze that almost knocked him off balance.  Everyone, including the new kneazle, looked at him in alarm.  "Sorry," the giant man said.  "Cats make me sneeze, ye know.  Tha's why I ‘ad a cover on ‘im." 

Tevin just giggled. 


Severus entered the Leaky Cauldron and instantly spotted the three blondes waiting by a column near the center of the large pub.  It was little Draco who first noticed Severus and Tevin.  "Tevin!" he shouted, pointing enthusiastically at his newest friend.  Tevin responded by screaming Draco's name.  Lucius and Narcissa walked forward and met Severus near the large table in the center of the room. 

"I was beginning to think you would not come, Severus," Lucius said with a slight tremor in his voice.  Was he nervous? 

Severus met Lucius's grey eyes steadily.  "I accept your apology, and that being the case I've come as you have requested."  Lucius nodded stiffly at Severus, and Narcissa smiled in what seemed to be relief.  "And thank you for the gloves.  I actually did need them." 

"I thought you might."

Without another word, Lucius turned and began leading the way to the backdoor of the Leaky Cauldron.  Narcissa, with Draco, and Severus followed behind him. 

"Where are we going in Diagon Alley?" Severus asked.

Narcissa grinned secretively.  "It's a surprise, Severus, for both of our sons."

Severus tried not to show his dissatisfaction, particularly when his son looked excitedly up at him.  Another of Lily's traits.  She liked surprises, whereas Severus liked to be prepared and did not trust surprises. 

As Severus dwelled on the options of where Lucius was taking them all, he didn't realize that he was following without seeing where they were going.  Before he knew it, they had entered Diagon Alley, and walked down the street to stop in front of a shop that every witch and wizard entered before their first train ride to Hogwarts.  Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.

Lucius held the door open for both his wife and Severus, since they were holding their children.  Then, he followed them inside.  A light bell sounded as they entered the shop, and just as Lucius got comfortable in the only chair in the shop, a thin, pale man emerged from the rows and rows of stacked rectangular boxes.  Severus was wondering why they were standing in this shop.  Surely Lucius was not thinking that he was going to buy wands for Draco and Tevin.  There was almost ten more years until that day. 

"Mr. Lucius Malfoy, what can I do for you?" asked Ollivander in a soft voice, making the quiet shop have a lonely feel to it.

Lucius did not get out of the chair.  "I've read recently that you have developed a new kind of wand.  Is this correct?"

Ollivander smiled.  "Yes, it is.  Judging by the two young children here I assume you are in the market for them?"

"Yes.  I am very interested in them." 

"One moment, then, Mr. Malfoy."  Ollivander spun slowly like a levitating quill on display and walked back into the depths of his shop.

Severus walked over to Lucius's seated form.  "Do you mean to buy wands for them?  They aren't allowed yet."

Lucius was looking at Draco who was staring in complete awe at the gigantic and silent shop around him.  His little mouth was hanging open at he slowly turned his head and looked at as much as he could.  "They are for these wands, Severus.  They're newly developed."  Then, Lucius looked at Severus.  "Training wands."

"Training wands?"

Lucius nodded.  He was about to explain when Ollivander returned to the front of the shop his arms laden with a pile of small, rectangular boxes.  He managed to lower the entire pile onto the counter and keep it balanced.  The wandmaker looked at Severus.  "I've developed training wands, Mr. Severus Snape, for those parents who wish to teach their children some spells before they attend school."

"But children aren't allowed to perform magic," Severus protested, coming closer to the counter with Tevin.  "It's illegal."

"No, no, no.  You misunderstand me."  Ollivander's eyes began to twinkle in a way that reminded Severus of Dumbledore when the older wizard felt that he had just come up with a clever plan.  "These wands do not actually perform the spells.  They glow a specific color to indicate whether the technique involved in a spell is done correctly."  Ollivander opened one of the boxes.  Narcissa had come forward with Draco.  Both of the boys were looking at the wands with wide eyes.  Ollivander picked up the wand and held it before everyone.  "If a child performs the incantation correctly, along with the proper flourishing hand gesture, then the tip of the wand will glow purple.  If the child has the incantation correct, but not the required gesture you will see yellow.  Should the child have the incantation incorrect, but the gesture is correct for a similar incantation as to what he or she attempts, then the tip will glow orange.  And if everything is just wrong, then the wand will glow red."  He pointed the wand at the rolled parchment inside the box.  "I have a color key with each wand."

Lucius leaned back in the rickety chair, seeming to fully enjoy this moment.  "It seems that Severus is still a little doubtful.  Would you demonstrate, Ollivander?"

The wandmaker nodded his head.  "First I need to match one of the children with a wand."

"Very well.  You may find my Draco's match," Lucius said, finally standing to see up close as his son was fitted with a wand.

Ollivander started opening up box after box of wands and gently putting it in Draco's hand one by one.  Draco's eyes grew impossibly bigger with each new wand he held.  Narcissa guided her son into waving the wand about to test his compatibility with it, but so far, none of them sparked at the waving.  Finally, at the second to the last wand, Draco let out an excited and surprised cry when the wand in his hand sparked green. 

"Very good," said Ollivander.  "Did you teach your boy any incantations yet, Mr. Malfoy?" 

Lucius nodded.  "Draco," he said to his son, whose eyes darted up to meet his father's.  "Accio." 

Draco nodded as he pointed the wand straight ahead, steadily, and cried out the incantation.  It came out more like the word, "Echo!"  The tip of the wand in Draco's hand glowed orange for a moment before it faded away.

Ollivander smiled.  "There, you see?  Young Malfoy did the correct gesture, but mispronounced the spell.  That is why the wand was orange." 

Lucius and Narcissa beamed with pride at their son, who held the wand with a huge smile on his face.  "This will be most helpful, Ollivander.  What do you think, Severus?" 

Severus had watched the process carefully and was running out reasons to deny this to his son.  "It's..."  He looked at the wandmaker.  "It's fascinating." 

Lucius laughed.  "Oh, come now, Severus!  You don't really intend to not allow Tevin to practice before attending school, do you?" 

Severus clenched his jaw.  If he consented to this, what kind of spells would his son know by the time he was eleven?  He remembered the rumors halfway into his first month as a First Year - that he knew more dark spells and hexes than even some Sixth Year students.  Would his son have the same rumors spread about him?  He certainly hoped not. 

Lucius saw Severus's indecision and he took his arm and walked him to the corner of the shop.  "What is the matter?"

"Nothing, it's...nothing."

Lucius looked at Severus in concern.  He'd rarely seen the other man uncomfortable like this.  "Don't you see how good for our boys this will be?  We can teach them to use spells before they even attend.  They'll be sure to succeed in their classes.  They'll be able to defend themselves when they're picked on, if they even are.  It's a wonderful advantage.  Our boys will be the finest wizards Hogwarts has ever seen, with the exception of me, you, and the Dark Lord, of course."

Severus took a deep breath and looked at his son.  Even though Tevin looked at him with his brown eyes, Severus saw the spirit of his wife, who died from the killing curse at the Dark Lord's wand.  Severus looked up at Lucius, his face hardened.  "I will not permit my son to learn any curses."

"Severus-"

"No.  None.  No curses." 

Lucius wondered where this came from, but did not think that the corner of Ollivander's shop was the right place, nor was Christmas Day the right time to find out.  "Alright, Severus.  No curses."  Severus nodded, and Lucius led the younger man back to the counter. 

Ollivander was instructing Draco on some tricks on how to better hold his new wand, and the boy was paying very close attention during the lesson.  Narcissa looked at Lucius as the men returned.  Ollivander saw them return and faced Severus.  "Have you decided?" 

"Yes," Severus said, quietly.  "I believe my son would like a wand?" he asked this to the boy in his arms.  Tevin didn't look at Severus, but at the pile of wands and nodded, chewing his lip in an attempt to hold in his excitement. 

Ollivander nodded.  He saw that he'd tried all of the wands on Draco, except for one.  He decided that if this one failed, he would start to replace all of the other wands in their boxes as each one failed the boy.  He took out the last wand in a box and held it up.  "Give me your hand, little Snape." 

Tevin stuck his hand out, his eyes focused on the wand the old man held.  Ollivander placed the wand in Tevin's outstretched hand and coaxed his fingers to close around it.  Before Ollivander took away his hand from Tevin's the wand furiously sparked green.  "The first try," Ollivander whispered in awe.  "That is a rare thing."  He looked at Severus.  "To be honest, I did not expect the alder wand to produce an effect." 

"Why?" 

"As you know, I use certain things in the cores of my wands.  Dragon heartstrings, unicorn hair, and phoenix feathers.  But I experimented with the wand that your son holds.  Inside that wand is the feather of a hippogriff."  Ollivander smiled at Severus as though he knew something that no one else did. 

"And what is my son's?" Lucius asked. 

Ollivander looked at the wand in Draco's hand.  "Dragon heartstring and rowan."  This time he smiled at Lucius as though he held a secret that Lucius didn't know. 

The wandmaker's expression was starting to unnerve the adults.  Lucius reached into his robes.  "What is your fee, Ollivander?" 

"Fourteen galleons for both." 

Lucius gave Ollivander the required money and Ollivander went about busily putting the boys's wands back in their boxes and returned them to the respective parents.  Lucius began to lead them all out of the shop, but they were stopped by the wandmaker's soft voice.  "Oh, Mr. Malfoy!"  Lucius turned around to look at the man, whose eyes were glittering like stars.  "You have a special son with great destiny and skill.  Cultivate that carefully." 

Lucius's brow furrowed in confusion, but he nodded and led his wife and son out of the shop.  Severus held open the door for Narcissa to pass.  "Mr. Snape," called Ollivander.  Severus darted his eyes up to meet those of the old wizard.  "Your son is of two different worlds, but he will rise to great things.  His friendships will be his greatest ally or his greatest weakness.  Be sure he chooses the correct alliances."  Severus stared at Ollivander, wondering if it were possible that the wandmaker somehow knew that the boy in his arms was Lily's son.  That would be impossible.  Severus was frozen, holding open the door. 

"Severus!" Lucius called from a little down the street.  "Come along!  It's getting late.  I would like to invite you and yours to our home!  Dobby should begin making preparations for dinner in half an hour." 

Severus did not reply to either Ollivander or Lucius, but stumbled from the shop, his mind in a panic.  Ollivander calmly went back to putting away all of the training wands with a smile on his lips.  "Curious," he said to himself.  "Curious..."

Chapter End Notes:
The idea of training wands came to me when I thought about how was it possible for Hermione to know so many spells, and have practiced them, if she would not be allowed to do so before attending Hogwarts, since it is illegal with the underage thing, and that she has no magic parents, so it's not like you wouldn't be able to tell who cast the spell in her house. And also, since I have included training brooms, why not have training wands, too?

I used color symbolism for the colors that the wands glow when spells are attempted. Purple symbolizes understanding, magic, and tolerance. I may have stretched it to comprehension. Yellow is inner wisdom, because they know the words, but not the outer gesture. Orange implies change or zest, for when they need to change their pronunciation. Red is indicative of energy, as in their enthusiasm is there but their knowledge is not. And they give off green sparks when "the wand chooses the wizard" because green symbolizes balance, which is fitting for a compatible wand and wizard.

The materials of the wands are symbolic as well.

For Tevin - Alder & Hippogriff Feather. The Alder tree (not to be confused with the Elder Tree - this is obviously not the Elder Wand here...*grin*) symbolizes "courage, evolving spirituality, self-reliance, adventurism, charm, and leadership skills." Hippogriff, being an animal of half breed, fit to parellel Tevin's own blood heritage as a half-blood.

For Draco - Rowan & Dragon Heartstring. The Rowan Tree symbolizes "originality, free-thinking, psychic ability, love, and understanding." And in some European mythology, the dragon is symbolic of the ability to see the "big picture," and to see far-off danger or future circumstances.

Please review! I like to receive them, and to reply to them!