Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus goes to Hogsmeade.
Chapter 9: Utterance of Affection

~“Severus Snape!” came the shrill shriek of pure rage, the one that stopped the heart and pierced the soul.

Severus, for all the terror and panic of all the others, stood perfectly straight, his shoulder’s square and his expression cool. He did not flinch like all the others, he did not cower in the face of evil itself. Composed and unafraid, the Potions Master waited as he watched the other wizard in black charge forward towards him.

Gripping his wand tightly, the Death Eater waited as the Dark Lord came towards him, furry and hatred radiating off of the man everyone feared the most. But Severus was not afraid. He watched indifferently as the dark wizard thundered towards him with the intent to kill. No, Severus was tired of being afraid, he was tired of his masquerade, and now, he knew that he would no longer have to hide, and he was glad of it.

“Snape!” Voldemort spat. “Is it true? Have you been, all this time, a spy for Dumbledore? Betraying your brothers here in my Death Eater family?”

Standing up at the Head Table, the other professor’s frightened beyond action and the students weeping in fear, Severus looked down at the Dark Lord from down his nose, a sneer of disgust in place. “It is true, Voldemort. I am only surprised that you did not have the wit to discover me sooner.”

Shrieking in rage once more, the Dark Lord sent a curse at the Potions Master. But Snape was too fast, he dodged the curse easily, and rolled under the table. Standing up, he sprinted out the door, away from the others, not wanting an innocent lives to be risked while he battled the Dark Lord. Predictably, Voldemort followed, sending curse after curse at the Potions Master until finally Snape stopped in the Main Hall.

“You cannot run from me,” the dark wizard hissed maliciously. “I will find you, and I will kill you!”

“I’m not running,” Severus growled. “I’ve never run from a fight.”

The Dark Lord threw back his head and laughed, a bone chilling noise. “Going Gryffindor on me, are you Snape?” he chortled. “Think you can win? Well, what makes you think you can? Even if you do find a way to defeat me here, what makes you think you can get rid of me forever?”

At this, on Snape’s grave countenance, there came an malicious smirk on the Potions Master’s lips. “Because,” he drawled silkily, “I’ve already destroyed all your horcrux.” Then the spy dropped all of the ruined horcrux onto the floor from where he had kept them hidden. Each one broken.

Voldemort’s inhuman face took on a look of pure shock, before terror started to filter onto his reptilian face. It was in that moment, that Severus raised his wand and shouted at the top of his lungs. “Avada Kadavra!”

Dark Lord’s body crumpled to the floor, the only noise that sounded before the room descended into a deathly silence. From the door, Dumbledore, Minerva, and the other professor’s could be seen, their faces expressing their shock, while there were students peeking through shocked as much as any of their professors. When he felt every eye turn to him, that was when Severus put his wand away, trying his best to ignore the stairs.

There was another moment of silence before the room burst into cheers. Suddenly the hall was flooded with people, all of them crowding around Severus the Great, the Defeater of Voldemort. Everyone was trying to talk to him, touch him, cry on him. Suddenly reporters blended into the mass, all of them trying to take his picture, talk to him, get one word from the Hero.

But while Severus tried to get away from the crowd, one voice stopped him. “Severus!” came the halting cry. “Severus!”

Looking around wildly, the Potions Master began pushing people out of his way, still looking. “Severus!” He knew that voice, he did! He loved that voice. “Severus!” He was getting closer. “Out of my way, rat!” Snape shouted over the crowd.

Just then, he saw who he had wanted to find, and she wasted no time by flinging herself into his arms. “Severus!” she cried in his arms. “Severus, I love you! I always have!”

Stroking her long red hair, the Hero of All hushed Lily and held her tightly to him. “Hush now my love, you are safe with me.”

“Oh Severus!” she cried. “I am such a fool! I always loved you and not that arrogant arse Potter! I love you! Please don’t leave me!”

“I never will,” he whispered happily into her ear, even as the crowd continued to shout and sing his praise.

“Let’s go somewhere,” Lily looked up, her green eyes glistening with tears, but looked beautiful none the less. “Let’s go somewhere, and I will treat the hero to what he deserves,” she smiled wickedly.

Instantly alert and excited, Severus, with his arm around Lily’s waste, began pushing through the crowd before Headmaster Dumbledore and Minister of Magic Fudge, began clearing the mob. “Make way for Severus, the Greatest Wizard of our age!” they cried.

Once away from the throng of people, which had been a task, Severus took Lily to the Dungeons and into his chamber. It did not take long before clothes were off and they were on his bed. Holding each other and kissing madly, Severus looked over Lily’s body longingly. She was absolutely beautiful. She would have been perfect had she not still been wearing clothes.

“Are you ready for your spoils, oh my hero?” she asked tantalizingly into his ear.

Not bothering to answer, Severus grabbed Lily and threw her gently onto her back on the bed. “Severus?” he was too busy try to get out of his shirt to look over at her. “One minute love,” he said, undoing the buttons.

“Severus?”

“Half a moment,” he said, furiously working to get the buttons undone, but there were so many!

“Severus!”

“Please hold on!” he exclaimed frantically. Every time he unbuttoned one, there seemed ten more in its place. What horror was this?

“SEVERUS!”~

***

“SEVERUS!”

“What!” the Potions Master jumped a foot in the air, and landed on something hard: the floor.

What happened? Where was he? What was going on? Where was Lily!

Snape’s questions were all answered when he looked up to see Headmaster Dumbledore standing by the bed, looking down at him with a smile on his face. “Bravo!” the old man clapped. “I’ve never seen someone jump out of bed like that. Really very good.”

“What the hell are you doing in my room!” Severus stood up and screamed. He instantly regretted it when Harry woke up, screaming right back.

Cursing several rather unique sounding curses, Snape ran to the cradle and picked up the shrieking child that the deaf could hear. Rocking the baby back and forth for a while did not seem to help much, so he tried to sit the child up and pat his back. No such luck, so the Potions Master ran to the kitchen to fetch a bottle, which he heated instantly, and gave it to Harry. He had already found out at what temperature that they child liked his formula.

The moment the baby took his bottle, he settled after fussing a few more minutes. But eventually, Harry took the bottle without complaint and sucked passively. He did not like being woken up, but when food was offered, he did not usually refuse. Besides, dada was actually awake first at this time for a change. How unusual.

Once Harry was quite, Severus turned burning eyes upon the Headmaster, who was still wearing his own night clothes. “What are you doing in my rooms?” fire almost came out as he spoke.

Looking innocent and old, Dumbledore merely let his eyes shine in a pathetic light. “I was merely going to talk to you about something important.”

Sighing impatiently, Snape stormed to the couch and sat down, gently, all the while glaring at his employer. “What is so important that you would wake me at five in the morning?”

“I always thought you got up at five anyway,” the Headmaster went on making his excuses.

“Not since I have a little leech that I’m supposed to take care of,” he growled. “Besides, it’s Saturday! I don’t have to get up as early as I do when I have classes.”

“Yes,” Dumbledore nodded. “It’s Saturday. And that’s exactly why I’ve come to talk to you.” When it dawned on the old man that the younger wizard was not going to speak, he went on. “Yes, well, I was dreaming a very pleasant dream; the one about the lemon drop fields with the smoothie trees and the happy little marmot name Tim that-”

“Please!” Severus cried. “Please, just get on with what you are going to tell me.”

“Oh, yes, that,” Albus paused before looking thoughtful. There was a moment of silence. “What was I going to tell you?”

“Dear Merlin!” the Potions Master literally thought his heart was going to give out.

“Oh! Yes, that was it!” Dumbledore found his thought. “Well, you see, while I was dreaming, my dream was interrupted when I woke up and needed to use the loo, so I went and used it, feeling ever so much better when I realized that today was Saturday.”

It was at the moment that Severus began looking around his chamber for poison to ingest. “And being Saturday,” the old man went on, oblivious to the pain he was causing, “I remembered that it was a Hogsmeade day. And remembering it was a Hogsmeade day, I remembered that I need to get more lemon drops. And remembering that, I remembered that you are chaperoning in Dolores’s place.”

There was just the briefest moment in which the thought of killing the old fool, taking his wand, over throwing the Dark Lord and taking over the world on his own flashed through Severus’s mind. And for just about the same amount of time he believed that it was possible to do such a thing, but while his thoughts were on murder and world domination, his face remained blank, bordering on exaggerated bored disbelief.

“Really?” Snape’s voice was annoyed. He was too tired to be furious at the moment. “Really, that’s all you wanted? You woke me up after your great bathroom journey to remind me that I have to go to Hogsmeade? At five in the morning, when I’m taking care of a baby? Really?”

The old man had the nerve to confused with the Potions Master’s anger. Hope you choke on your lemon drops! the Head of Slytherin thought viciously.

“Why Severus, I-” Albus began.

“Out,” the professor shook his head tiredly. “Just get out of my sight. Just let me alone so I can go back to sleep.”

“I was merely re-”

“OUT!” he hissed so hatefully that the Albus Dumbledore cringed and jumped in fear.

“Very well, very well,” the old wizard held up his hands for peace. “If that is how you feel. Goodnight then, Severus.”

The Potions Master didn’t even bother to get up, nor did he even acknowledge the older wizard. Instead, Severus decided to burp Harry, who had fallen asleep by now, and gently stood to put the baby back to bed. Once he heard the Floo sound, the Slytherin looked over his shoulder, just to make sure that the old man had really left.

Walking back to his room, his intent to put the baby to bed and then get back to sleep himself, Severus found that his legs were not cooperating, and instead, they walked to his bed, where he sat down. Instead of going to sleep, the wizard found himself staring down into the little face that he was supposedly supposed to have made… he and Lily, together.

Tears formed in the Potions Master’s eyes. He had dreamed of Lily, had dreamed about his own physical desires and fantasies that he knew would never be real. But here, in his hands, was something real, something that he and Lily had made out of their love for one another. Here was something that was alive, something tangible, something… his.

With a great sigh, Snape stood up after several more minutes before placing little Harry into bed. As he turned to walk away, the wizard found that he had turned on his heels and was back at the crib. Without thought, Severus leaned over the crib and placed a soft kiss on the baby’s forehead. “Goodnight little one,” he crooned tenderly. “Sleep well.”

In his sleep, baby Harry smiled.

*******

The next morning, at Hogsmeade, Severus held a very bundled up little Harry in his arms protectively. The little baby had on a very puffy green coat that the Potions Master had insisted be brought lest the child catch a cold. Professor Trelawney had commented, saying it would be a beautiful day, but she had only received flames from out of the father’s mouth. He was not going to risk his son’s health. What kind of father would do that anyway?

While Harry wore nice, soft shades of greens and blues, Snape was still his usual pillar of darkness, wearing all black. There were many people there that stopped to gawk at the stern professor who held the little baby boy close. If any stared for too long, the Head of Slytherin sent them such a cold glare that none could rival it. The Potions Master protected the baby much like a jealous dragon protects its horde.

While standing outside the Three Broomsticks, Severus spied Draco Malfoy coming over to him. “Merlin’s Beard, what now?” he muttered. Harry was playing with a strand of dada’s hair.

“Professor Snape?” Draco inquired, looking at Harry, before returning his gaze to his professor.

“What is it?” Snape snapped, not wanting to tolerate anyone this morning. He had had an interrupted night’s sleep, and not just from Harry either.

Looking less courageous, Severus watched as Draco swallowed his fears and said, “Sir, I was wondering about…uh…well about that baby. Is it really yours?”

“Of course he’s mine!” the Potions Master hissed. “You think I would randomly take care of a child this young?”

“No, sir,” the younger Slytherin agreed. “But, um, sir? Then you are married?”

The only reason Severus restrained himself from hexing the hell out of his little blond inquisitor was because Draco not only happened to be his godson, and godfather’s are supposedly not supposed to hurt their godchildren, but also because the little snots father happened to be Lucius Malfoy. It was an unfortunate thing really, but Severus restrained himself admirably. Although it was hard.

“No, I am no longer married,” he answered tightly.

“No longer?” Draco’s ears perked up. “You were then?”

“Of course I was!” Snape hissed terrifyingly. He did not like playing twenty questions, but found that he had to tolerate it.

Wincing at the harshness of the tone, the young Malfoy looked away from his godfather’s eyes. Those black eyes were hot as coal and ten times more deadly. “What happened to her?”

Here, Severus found that his heart, which he had not thought had been touched at all, broke into a million pieces, and he felt like crying, even though his eyes were too dry for tears. “She died,” he said blankly, his whole body stiff.

Even though Snape could be a royal pain in the arse, Draco was not unmoved by his godfather’s display of pain. It dawned on the young boy that Snape, the sarcastic, cruel Potions Master had been in love, but had lost his wife. Snape had cared about someone. It was strange, and yet fitting some how.

“What was her name?”

Here, Severus snapped out of his sulking, and almost thought to telling the little brat to bugger off when he realized that Draco would keep asking unless he satisfied his curiosity. “Ivy,” Snape said finally. “Ivy Sellan. Now,” he snapped, “I’ve had enough of your pointless questions. Don’t tell anyone anything I’ve told you or I’ll deduct one hundred points because of you, and don’t think I won’t.”

Draco did not doubt his Head of House’s word. Snape usually did not deduct points from Slytherin, but that did not mean he would not. The man was strange that way, and a threat from Snape was as good as a promise. “Yes, sir,” the young Malfoy said before he hurriedly ran off.

“Go,” Snape muttered as he watched the boy go. “Go scamper off to tell daddy. I’ll be waiting for you then.”

As he turned the corner of the building, it did not really surprise the Potions Master much when he almost literally ran into the youngest Weasley boy and Granger. Both of the Gryffindor’s eyes got hug as they backed away from the professor with fear.

“You heard everything I assume?” he asked candidly.

Both children nodded numbly. “Then you would not think it unfair of me to take points away from your house, the same as I threatened Mr. Malfoy?”

“That is unfair!” Ron yelped.

Raising an eyebrow, Severus really felt like squishing both Gryffindor. “Oh?” he asked silkily. “I believe I was talking to Mr. Malfoy in private, telling him things for his ears only. It’s only befitting I punish you children for your lack of respect.”

“Professor Snape, sir?” Granger stepped forward. “We were only going to ask about Harry. That’s all. We really did only catch the end of the conversation.”

“You are not a very good liar, Miss Granger,” Snape drawled. “You have a tell,” he sneered at her. “And I told you that Mr. Potter’s condition was none of your concern. He is being well looked after. Madame Pomfrey is doing her best to get him back around, up to his usual stupid antics.”

“But we went to see Harry, and Madame Pomfrey kicked us out before we could really see him!” Granger cried. “All we saw was a glimpse of him sitting in bed. He hasn’t responded to any of our notes.”

“Would you respond to notes if you felt seriously ill?” the Potions Master growled. “I told you brats once, don’t go snooping about. Not everything’s a mystery needing solving. There is no mystery here. The facts are that Mr. Potter is sick and he needs his rest. There is no conspiracy, no crime, nothing. Get that through your thich skulls. Now,” he straightened up, looking quite terrifying as he shielded the baby from sight so Harry would not ruin his dramatic effect. “Leave me in peace.”

Granger began to cry and Weasley took her way. Why did the girls always have to cry? There was no sense in the tears, but as long as it got those two out of his hair, Severus was content. For a brief moment he wondered if there was any business in bottling children’s tears. He would be quite good at it.

Harry, now sensing his father’s return to normality, reached up and began reaching for more hair to play with. Looking down at the baby, Severus flipped his hair back, out of the infant’s reach. “You really need to stop that,” the sneer was pathetic and soon fell away. Harry grinned up at his father. “You’re an odd little one, you know that?” the professor cooed quietly. “But I suppose you’re my little odd one.”

Deciding to go back into the Three Broomsticks to get a drink and sit down, Severus walked with his baby securely in his arms into the building.

In Hogshead, Dumbledore watched his Potions Master enter into the building. It was then that he decided that perhaps he should not have told Snape about Harry after all. Things were moving very quickly, and the Slytherin was becoming far too attached.

“He may not give him up!” Dumbledore whispered in horror. He was so preocuppied with this realization that Dumbledore did not even hear Minerva's complaints when one hundred points showed up missing from Gryffindor.

Chapter End Notes:
Okay, yeah, so the first part was all a dream. Severus's dream of a perfect world where he's the "Golden Hero" Yeah, don't ask where the idea came from, it just came. And yes, I know, I chose the name "Ivy" but it's the closest I'm ever going to get with Mary Sue and the closest I'm ever going to get to Snape, so let a girl dream! The name's an anagram for Lily Evans. And yes, big shocker that Dumbledore's GETTING IT!! Ha ha old man!And yes, it WAS Snape that took 100 points at the end. (He's so mean) XD

Now, please give unto me thy reviews, and I shall give unto thee some cookies, as cookies are the greatest source of joy. No man, woman, wizard, witch, Muggle, or squib can resist the awesome might of the cookie!! *ahem* Yeah, so just give me some reviews before I go insane. Thanks!