Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Headmaster

“Dumbledore did what!” Severus wasn't asking a question. He was angry, very angry.

Minerva sighed. “I told you, he sent Hagrid to the muggles that Harry Potter was suppose to grow up with.”

“He hasn't checked the Ministry yet?” Bellatrix asked. “I know that he'll discover the adoption papers in a matter of hours and it won't be difficult fr someone with his brain to figure out where Harry Potter is.”

Severus stopped his pacing. “But that's the problem! Harry isn't Harry Potter and I will not let him be thrust into the role of the saviour of the Wizarding world. He's a child and more importantly, he's my son!”

“And you're both Dumbledore's pets.” Minerva almost laughed at their scowls, the expression looked so similar. “If it wasn't for Dumbledore's influence you'd both be in Azkaban. And everyone knows it.”

“Harry, go to your room.” Bellatrix ordered. “This conversation isn't for you.”

Harry's face fell. “I want to stay!”

“He may as well stay. The entire thing's about him.” Minerva said. “It won't do any good if we just have to tell him later.”

“Yes!” Harry whispered quietly.

“How long until Dumbledore finds the papers?” Bellatrix asked. “Do we have any time to . . .”

The ringing of the doorbell cut her off.

“I believe that answers your question.” Severus commented dryly.

The doorbell continued to ring, not a single one of them made a move toward the door. They all stared at it in horrified fascination that was sometimes exchanged with hope that if it was ignored Dumbledore would just leave.

“Is anyone going to answer it?” Minerva stepped to the door. Out of four she had the best reputation and the closest friendship with the Headmaster.

Severus gave her a jerky nodded and took down all the spells preventing the older wizard from getting in. Not that any spell he could cast would keep the wizard out if he really wanted to get in. Silencing through his wards would have been no problem, especially since Dumbledore would have had the castle itself to help him.

“Minerva.” It was Dumbledore standing on the other side of the door. His robes weren't quite as exotic as usual. This time they were merely bright Gryffindor red with quietly roaring lions plastered across the chest and back. He stepped into the room. “Bellatrix, Severus.” He acknowledged their presence with a brief nod of his head.

“Yes Headmaster? Is there something we can do for you?” Severus couldn't manage to keep a hint of anger and worry out of his tone.

Dumbledore ignored his Potion Master and knelt down beside Harry. “Harry? You are Harry aren't you?”

Harry drew himself up to his full height, it wasn't much, but when the Headmaster was kneeling he was taller than him. “I'm Harry Black Sir. But I think you know that.”

The Headmaster simply nodded sadly. “Yes, yes.” He stood and turned to Bellatrix and Severus. “Was this really necessary? I see the steps you're taking to protect him. Why did you think I wouldn't see things your way?”

“Albus!” Minerva stepped in front of him. “I'm can't believe you can even ask a question like that! Sirius Black offered to take him in. I'm certainly glad you didn't let him. But I offered and so did a host of other families! But no, you insisted he stay with the muggles. Even after I told you I thought it would be better if you didn't.”

Dumbledore spluttered and stuttered. “I-I, Minerva! I certainly don't want Harry Potter raised as a Death Eater! Or with Death Eaters!”

“I thought you forgave them!” Minerva yelled. “That's what you told me. That's what you told them. You even told the entire world that they'd been forgiven. But you didn't believe it?” She ranted.

“Once a Slytherin, always a Slytherin.” Dumbledore said darkly. “Voldemort knows this. And there's a possibility that they might go back to him.” He told her seriously.

“Don't be silly. They've both sworn unbreakable vows and taken good care of Harry Potter for almost a decade and you still don't trust them?” Minerva shook her head. “I can't believe this.”

“There is one problem.” Bellatrix spoke up.

Dumbledore sighed before turning to her. “There is more than one problem. But what is the one you're concerned with?”

“Harry.” Severus said. “He's Harry Black. And once he graduates he'll be Harry Snape. He's our son. He's not Harry Potter. Harry Potter was lost on the day that he had to be rescued from muggles who were suppose to be his family.”

“Yeah!” Harry added, it was about him so he did want to say something. “I'm more than just a scar! In fact I'm not even a scar now!” He showed Dumbledore his clear, unblemished forehead.

“Harry!” Bellatrix hissed. She'd made that comment several times when people had reacted to his scar. And now it was getting her back since she defiantly didn't want to the Headmaster to know her opinions of the Boy-Who-Lived.

“I think I can see that now.” Dumbledore laughed. “There isn't anything I can do. You're legally adopted, your name's been changed. It would take a great many favours and key personnel to get my way.”

Severus scowled. He was one of 'Dumbledore's people'. He owned the old man a great deal and now that the true identity of his son had been revealed that was defiantly not a good position to be in. “But you would do it.” He told the Headmaster. “If you were going to do it you would already be at the Ministry.”

“True.” He nodded. “You know me so well Severus. We really must get together again some time. We used to do that quite often.” He smiled. “I did enjoy our little teas and lunches.”

The scowl on Severus's face changed to a glare. The only reason he'd put up with the teas and lunches was because it gave him an opportunity to speak about the information he'd uncovered while spying. “I should hope that we never need to have a meeting like those again.”

Dumbledore understood the subtle meaning in his words and frowned. “I'm afraid not Severus. There's been talk and news lately. Things that you should know. Tomorrow?”

“Fine.” Severus whirled and headed into his potions lab, slaming the door loudly behind him.

“I think you'd better leave Albus.” Minerva all but pushed the Headmaster through the door. “I'll stop by for dinner.” She closed the door in his face and let Pomona Sprout in before locking and sealing the room.

“Is everything all right? I could hear yelling. . .” The kind, Hufflepuff woman looked around as if to make sure that everyone was still in one piece.

Minerva shoved a glass of wine into Bellatrix's hand. “Drink it. You look like you need it.” She borrowed a small amount for herself and Pomona and took a seat in one of the Slytherin green armchairs.

Bellatrix downed her wine quickly. “Thank you.” She refilled her glass, but sipped at it slowly this time. “I'm sorry, I haven't been much of a hostess. Help yourself to a bite of something.” She indicated the platters of food.

“Yum.” Harry knelt next to a large plate full of chocolates and cookies. The mint filling was starting to fall out of his mouth because he'd stuffed it so full.

“Careful!” Pomona told him before taking a large chocolate chip cookie for herself.

“Would you like one of these Minerva?” Bellatrix offered the Deputy Headmistress of glass dish filled with strange brown objects.

Minerva took one out and sniffed it. “Interesting.” Her tone made it clear that she had no idea what it was and what she was going to do with it. She popped it in her mouth and Bellatrix started laughing.

She laughed so long and so hard that Severus came out of his lab to see what was going on. “Bellatrix? Is there a problem?” He raised an eyebrow.

Bellatrix took a few deep breathes and struggled to contain her laughter. “Sure Sev. Have one of these.” She offered him the glass dish.

But Severus's look of amusement had disappeared when she'd said 'Sev'. A look of furry descended on his face. “Don't call me that. Don't ever call me that!” He roared and hurried back into his lab, slaming the door behind him again.

“Whoa.” Bellatrix put down the dish. “What did I do to you?” She muttered sarcastically.

“What are these?” Minerva asked as she took a few more of the things Bellatrix had offered her. “They're quite good.”

Bellatrix laughed quietly. “Cat treats. Severus picked them up in Diagon Alley.”

“No he didn't.” Minerva frowned. “Diagon Alley doesn't carry cat treats any more. I went to every single shop. They make quite a delicious snack in my animagus form.” She explained. “Do you have the package? I think they are quite excellent.”

With a wave of her wand Bellatrix summoned the package. “Here.”

Minerva looked over the package, then waved her wand over it and the simple cloth bag became a brightly coloured plastic muggle package. “They aren't wizarding treats at all. Explains why I wasn't familiar with them.”

Bellatrix's face had grown dark and stormy. “I can't believe it. Muggle food of all things. How does he trust it?”

Harry looked at his mother. “But Mum, you teach muggle-borns in defence all year round. How is it so different when you eat food or buy robes they made?”

Minerva smirked, it was quite strange to see the expression on her face. “Oh Bellatrix, you never told him?” Her smirk became a smile. “Did you tell Severus? No! Oh, my.” She burst out laughing at the expression on Bellatrix's face.

“Relax, she's just making fun.” Pomona patted Bellatrix on the shoulder. “We had a bottle of two before coming here.” She nodded Minerva's empty cup. “She's had quite a few cups here too.”

“No more than, I think.” Bellatrix took the wine glass from Minerva's loose grip. “Severus?” She called over her shoulder. “Severus!” Louder this time. “Excuse me please.” She said before entering his lab, without even knocking.

Her voice was loud enough that the occupants of the sitting room could hear it quite clearly. “Severus! I'm not going to let you sit in here and sulk all day!” She paused for a moment, he must have said something for she responded. “Ridiculous! We can talk later, once our guests are gone!”

The Snape's reappeared in the sitting room, although it was quite clear that they need to sit down and work out the 'Sev' problem before anything could happen. Severus had a potion vial in his hand and he offered it to Minerva.

“Take it. Wouldn't want you to kill yourself. Who'd head Gryffindor?” He commented, it was obvious that he was trying to hurt her.

“Go!” Bellatrix gave him a shove back to the lab. “Until you can be civil!”

Harry snickered. He recalled his mother yelling the same thing at him many times. But her glare was so nasty that all the noise stopped immediately.

“I think we'd better leave.” Pomona stood up and brushed the crumbs from her hands. “Thanks Bella.” She hugged the younger woman. “Come Minerva. I'll see you back to your quarters.” The two left arm in arm, it was necessary since the sobering potion was delayed reaction.

“Harry is there something you can do now?” Bellatrix asked. She was anxious to get to her discussion and waiting around was driving her insane.

“I want to come! He's my Da!” Harry protested. “And I already read most of my books. And Da told me I have to do essays if I lie about that.”

Bellatrix nodded. “Fine. But be quiet!”

The two entered the lab. Severus was sitting on the floor, leaning against the table. A stone had been removed from the floor and he was leafing through a packet of papers that had been pulled from it. The one he was looking at was glossy, almost like a photograph.

“Is that her?” Bellatrix sneered down at the red-haired girl who was wrapping her arms around a much younger version of Severus.