Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

New Home, New Friends

Harry sat in shock at the Ravenclaw table. His parents were having a fierce, whispered conversation at the staff table. Bellatrix's expression was one of horror and revulsion.


“Why Severus? What did I do?” She demanded. “He's going to turn out just like the rest of them!”


“Quiet Bella. Just relax.” Severus gave her a mild calming draft. “Harry will do fine in Ravenclaw. There's plenty of purebloods. And Andromeda was in Gryffindor. It'll be fine.” He rubbed her back gently.


Bellatrix huffed angrily, but she went back to watching the sorting.


Susan Bones joined her best friend Hannah in Hufflepuff, while Terry Boot and Amanda Brocklehurst joined Harry at the Ravenclaw table.


“Brown, Lavender”, became a a Gryffindor and “Bulstrode, Millicent,” was the first Slytherin of the night.


The sorting continued. There was only 36 first years, but the process seemed to go on forever. Finally “Zabini, Blaise,” was made a Slytherin and Professor McGonagall put the sorting hat away. The hall was quiet, and the only noise was the rumbling of hungry stomachs. The sweets on the train seemed to have been eaten ages instead of hours ago.


“Let us fill our stomachs and feast upon the offerings of Hogwarts!” Dumbledore announced, standing briefly. He clapped his hands and the serving plates filled with food, pitchers of pumpkin juice, milk, and water appeared between the overflowing plates.


Harry wasn't very impressed. The house elves had simply timed everything to the sound of the Headmaster's clap. He'd tried it before, for a lark. It wasn't as fun as he'd thought it would be. Especially since his father had given him a lecture about valuing the labour of house elves and appreciating, not taking them for granted.


The first year Ravenclaws were an interesting lot. There were two muggleborns; Lisa Turpin and Stephen Cornfoot. Harry was sure that he could learn to get along with them as long his mother didn't interfere. Kevin Entwhistle was also with him, just like he'd predicted. Padma was also a Ravenclaw, much to her disappointment her sister had become a Gryffindor.


There was an even ten new students in Ravenclaw. Harry counted while he'd be waiting for the sorting to finish. He hadn't caught all of the students names. Oh well. I'm sure I learn them in time. Harry thought.

 

After finishing off his plate and waiting for the puddings to appear, Harry took the time to examine the staff table. He knew everyone sitting on it, but they looked so different in teaching robes than in casual ones. His father was sitting between his mother and Professor Quirrel.


Harry glared at the back of the Professor's turban. He'd never liked the man. Luckily, his parents hadn't either and he'd barely had to spend any time with the stuttering fool. Bellatrix liked inviting him over and laughing at his nervous habits later.


But then Quirrel turned around and stared straight at him.


A sharp pain shot through Harry's head, right where his scar used to be. He clapped a hand to it, gasping.


“Are you all right?” Terry Boot asked him.


Harry nodded shakily. The pain had left as soon as it had appeared, but the experience left him nervous and gave him a headache that refused to leave. “Fine.”


“Terry Boot. I was in the other class at primary school.” He said, offering his hand.


“Harry Black.” Harry shook his hand. He remembered Terry slightly. The dark haired boy had always been polite and kind. In the earlier years when he was in Harry's class he'd asked him over to his house several times and they'd always had fun together.


After stuffing their faces with sweets and treats and listening to Dumbledore's announcements everyone was dismissed. Harry threw a glance to the head table.


I don't think I'm going to see Da in Slytherin tonight. And our quarters aren't close to Ravenclaw tower. Harry thought. This was the longest time he'd ever been away from his parents for. But from the sour look on his mother's face it was probably for the best.


 

“Come on!” A tall, red haired boy with a prefect badge stood up. “I'll show you the way up.” He made sure that the first years could all see him and set off at a moderate pace toward the tower.


“He certainly looks better red than Weasley!” Draco whispered when they passed him. Harry smiled and followed the prefect to the entry of Ravenclaw.


“This is the entry to the Ravenclaw dormitories and common room.” He told them before knocking on the knocker. “When you come to the door, knock.”


The knocker opened its eyes. “Welcome back.” It said in a hoarse voice. “Now then, what is the middle of four?” It asked.


The prefect turned back to the assembled students. “The guardian will ask you a question. If you answer correctly, then you may pass. If you answer incorrectly, you must wait for someone to give the correct answer. That way you learn.” He faced the guardian. “I think the answer is nothingness, there is no middle to four.”


The guardian blinked. “Interesting thought.” And he closed his eyes as the wall he rested on moved to the side to reveal a large, comfortably furnished room.


Harry had never been inside the Ravenclaw dormitory before. He'd been outside the tower and peeked in, but he'd never got to sit in the chairs or look at the beautiful fire place.


A female prefect, one who looked much other than the boy who'd brought them there stood in front of the fire. “First years!” She called in a clear, commanding voice. “Welcome to Ravenclaw. I'm this year's head girl and a Ravenclaw prefect. My name is Louise Walters. If you have any questions or concerns you can come to me. I can usually be found in the library or the common room.”


Another girl stood up and joined her. She had dirty blond hair and looked much like Lisa. “I'm Patricia Turpin. If any muggleborn students have questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I'm muggleborn myself, so I've got a pretty good idea of what you're going through.” She smiled.


“And last but not least,me!” The red haired boy who'd brought them to the tower moved to the front of the crowd. “I'm only a fifth year, so I don't know as much as the other prefects, but I'm in charge of organizing the lower years inter-house tutoring this year. I'll be taking to all of you later.” He sat back down on the couch with a group of his friends.


Louise punched him on the arm. “You didn't tell them your name!” She told him, but it was loud enough that everyone heard and some people started laughing.


He stood up again, this time brick red. It looked rather strange with his red hair. “Edward Caprio, I'm him. Er-”


“Just it down.” One of the boys gave him a tug. “Don't make a fool of yourself.”


Louise sighed dramatically. “Bed now. It's the first day tomorrow. You need to be well rested. So no reading tonight!” She directed the comment at the third year girls, who had the grace to look ashamed. “Girls to the left, boys to the right!” She pointed them up the staircases.


Harry headed up the stairs. The only dormitories he'd been in before were the Slytherin ones and those weren't in a tower. The first level was for first years, and there was a separate floor for each year. It was nothing like the long hallway with large rooms in Slytherin.


“I'm so tired.” Stephen collapsed onto his bed. “Magic is amazing.”


Kevin smiled as he began to take off his robes and put on his pyjamas. “Defiantly. You might want to talk to Patricia Turpin. She probably as some good information.”


“Yeah.” Harry finished buttoning his Slytherin green pyjamas. He headed into the small wash room and shower to brush his teeth.


Anthony Goldstein followed him in. His pyjamas were plain brown. No house colours. He was quiet and tended not to say much, always had his nose buried in a book.


“What's with the Slytherin stuff?” He asked. “All your stuff is in green and silver. I didn't even know that you were pureblood.” He admitted, as if his not knowing something was horrible.


Harry scowled and stomped back into the dormitory, he threw his toothbrush into his trunk and flung onto his bed, pulling the curtains shit tightly. He could hear the others boys talking among themselves. And they were talking about him. It hurt, to think that they were becoming friends and he was curled angrily and sadly in his bed alone.


Eventually the talking stopped and the lights were turned out. Harry waited until it was quiet and the only noises were the soft, gentle breathing of his year mates. He slipped out of bed and pulled on his slippers before making his way to the window.


The Ravenclaw dormitories all had windows toward the lake. The calm water and still tress were relaxing. Harry found himself breathing deeply. It'll be all right. Da will help mother get used to it. I think I'll like Ravenclaw. I just need to make some friends.


 

Harry was startled out of his thoughts by a knock on the window. He jumped back, reaching for his wand, only to realize that his holster and wand were still with his clothes in his trunk. He hadn't put it on underneath his pyjamas.


The window creaked open slowly. There was a powerful witch or wizard outside the window, the windows weren't the type that were suppose to open. Finally the window was open just large enough for someone small to slip through.


Curiosity got the better of Harry. He crept closer to the window. But before he could catch a glimpse of whoever was out there, a charm seized him and Harry was dragged out of the window onto a floating broomstick.


The person sitting behind him didn't speak, they simply resealed the window and set off flying quickly. Harry started to panic. He'd been told about Death Eaters and other people who might want to harm him. But why would anyone want to hurt Harry Black, first year Ravenclaw? He started to squirm, trying to get away from his kidnapper.


“Stupid boy! Stay still!” A voice hissed into his year.


Harry froze. That was his mother's voice, but why would she be kidnapping him? “Mother?”


“Shush, we're almost there.” Bellatrix brought the broom in for a landing in a small clearing below them. It was right in the outskirts of the forbidden forest. Glowing charms and protective spells surrounded it and not a single creature could enter, even bugs.


Harry got off the broom as soon as it hit the ground. He spun around to face his mother. “What is this all about? I've got classes tomorrow!”


“And you were sleeping in bed.” His father came out of the shadows. “No lying to your parents Harry.” He looked over his son. “Where is your wand?”


After shifting nervously and biting his lip, Harry looked back at his father. “Uh. . .I don't have it.”


“That is obvious.” Severus approached his son, glaring angrily. “Are you dim? How many times do you have to be told that there are people at Hogwarts who wish you dead?”


“Sorry.” Harry whispered. “I won't forget again.”


“You'd better not.” Bellatrix growled. “If you can't be trusted to stay alone you'll have to stay in our sight at all times. Obviously Ravenclaw isn't the place for you. I still think. . .”


Harry's eyes widened. “No. I'll keep it with me.”


Bellatrix and Severus exchanged looks. “I guess we can't teach him tonight.” Bellatrix murmured.


“No.” Severus frowned. “Good night Harry. I will see you tomorrow in the Great Hall.” He hugged his son and left the clearing on a broomstick of his own. His black robes and hair blended in perfectly with the dark sky and he was nearly invisible.


Harry looked back at his mother. She hadn't made any move to pick up her broom or leave the clearing. “Are we going to leave?” He asked.


Bellatrix nodded. “In a moment.” She pulled out her wand and took a tiny object out of her pocket. After enlarging it she handed it to her son. “I want you to read this. It will help you with my lessons and learn some of what you're missing out on in Ravenclaw.”


“Are you giving me all these lessons? What am I going to be learning?” Harry asked. The idea of secret lessons made him slightly nervous.


“No. Severus will teach every other lesson.” When he was about to open the book Bellatrix put a hand out to stop him. “Only read it in private. And don't tell your father about it.”


Harry nodded. “When's Da picking me up?”


“Friday night.” Bellatrix gave him a quick hug and pulled him onto her broom.


The ride back to the dormitory was much easier than the ride to the clearing. Bellatrix charmed the window open and Harry went through and slipped into bed. All thoughts of reading the book or studying ahead forgotten. He slept easily.