Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Does anyone know of a website where you can post Harry Potter fan art? I've drawn several images for the story and I'd like to post them somewhere.
Punishment and Plants

“Dad?” Harry asked once they were safely in the Snape's office with the wards and silencing charms up. “Is something wrong?”


Severus whirled to faced his son, his robes flaring out around his ankles. “Why don't you tell me.” He leaned over the desk toward his face. “Exactly what were you doing on the train? And before you were sorted?”


Harry gulped. Those performances had been for his mother, insulting muggleborns and blood traitors was not something that his father stood for. “Uh. . . A mistake?”


“Sit down!” Severus pointed to the wooden chair in front of his desk and after his son was seated he took a seat across from him. “What would have made you believe that I would stand for your language, or your behaviour? Did your mother put you up to it?” He demanded angrily.


Harry shook his head. “No Father. It's my fault. I'm sorry.”


“Why don't you tell that to Miss Granger and Mr Weasley. They were the ones that you hurt with your words.” He said. Part of his idea of a punishment was apologizing to them, hopefully it would allow Harry to see that even if they were different it didn't make a difference.


“I apologized to Hermione.” Harry told him. “We're going to work together later. She needs to learn to write with a quill still, and I want to borrow her History notes.” He wished he hadn't said the last part, it almost sounded like he was planning to cheat.


Severus stood up and began to pace around the room. He was too angry to stay still. “You will also apologize to Mr Weasley.”


Harry groaned. “Fine. But I'm not spending any extra time with him.” He stated. Something about the red haired bot just got on his nerves.


“Very well, then you will spend the extra time with Miss Granger and Mr Cornfoot.” Severus smirked. He'd already arranged for Draco to come over for dinner one night. It would be simple to add another two students. “You will also write a four foot essay on hate crimes. Due in your potions class.”


“What?” Harry jumped to his feet. “That's tomorrow! I can't finish something that long in a day!”


Severus didn't take pity on him. “In the future remember that speaking of other's blood is not taken lightly at Hogwarts. Please keep a civil tongue in your head.” He glared at his son. “Muggleborn, not mudblood.”


Harry nodded. “Sorry. Can I go now?” He wanted to get started on his essay. It would probably take him all night.


“May I go now.” Severus said. “And you are dismissed. During our lesson I'll give you the rest of the details concerning the extra time portion of your punishment.”


Harry wasted no time getting out of the dungeons. He arrived in Ravenclaw as quickly as possible. A fourth year arrived at the same time as he did and answered the question from the guardian. Dinner was already over, Harry had slept through it.


“There you are!” Kevin said when he entered the dormitory. “Where were you? You missed dinner.” He offered a handkerchief. “I brought you some food. But it's not much.”


“Thanks.” Harry took the cloth and hungrily devoured the bread rolls inside it. “I got in trouble. For stuff on the train.” He glanced at Kevin who was looking strangely at him. “My parents found out about it.”


“That's not good.” Kevin said. “Did you get detention?”


Harry groaned while getting out his parchment, quill, and ink. “Worse, an essay.” He took at seat at one of the small desks and started outlining his essay. But filling four feet with everything he knew about hate crimes was going to take quite awhile.


Eventually the bell rang to signal curfew. The other boys finished up their homework and showered before heading to bed. Kevin shot Harry a sympathetic looks before climbing into his bed and pulling the curtains shut. Harry turned off all the lights but one and concentrated on his essay.


It was past 4 o'clock when Harry set down his quill for the last time. The essay wasn't his best work, but there hadn't been enough time for him to do research or rewrite the parts that he didn't like. It was long enough and he wrote as much as he could, even including details from some muggle books he'd once paged through.


He blew on the essay to dry the ink and pulled on his pyjamas. It was too late to shower, Harry knew that he'd probably fall asleep under the soothing water. He cleaned his teeth and collapsed, exhausted into his bed. The last light went out and the room was plunged into darkness.


All too soon someone was shaking him. “Harry, you've got to wake up!”


Harry rolled over and tried to bury his head under his pillow.


“Come on Harry! You're going to be late. You've already missed breakfast!” The shaking hadn't stopped and was growing more insistent.


“I'm up.” Harry climbed out of bed and opened his eyes. “Morning Kevin.” He changed into his robes quickly and packed up his bag. “Herbology?”


Kevin nodded. “I'm not sure where to go.” He pulled his bag back on and followed Harry out of Ravenclaw tower. “Sorry to make you miss another meal. But you were up really late last night.” He smiled apologetically. “I brought you some food.” He offered Harry another handkerchief.


“Thanks.” Harry said through a mouth full of buttered toast. “Herbology is in the greenhouse.” He lead Kevin out of the castle toward the buildings in the back. “Who do we have it with?” He asked with a yawn, he was too tired to get out his own schedule.


Kevin consulted his paper. “Double Herbology with the Slytherins. Once a week, and then we have a single class on Monday afternoons also with the Slytherins.”


“Great. We'll get to see Draco.” Harry hurried into Greenhouse 1 just as the bell for classes to start began to chime.


Professor Sprout stood at the front of the class, he hands and robes were still clean. But by the end of the day she was always covered in dirt. Her hair was pulled back under her hat, but it was already starting to come loose.


She stepped up onto the podium and clapped her hands briskly. “Welcome to Herbology! I'm Professor Sprout.” She looked around the classroom. “Four to a table. Quickly please!”


Harry grabbed Kevin and pulled him over to a table with Draco Malfoy. Su Li took the fourth place before one of the other Slytherins could grab it.


“Hi Draco.” Harry said with a smile. “You look better.” And Draco did. He looked happier and much more energetic.


Draco smirked. “Potion.” He whispered when Professor Sprout looked in their direction. “It's awesome.”


After that there was no more time to talk. The four set to planting some basic herbs used in potion making. It was easy work, but for Kevin and Draco who'd never gardened before it wasn't easy. Dirt ended up in the floor, in their hair and all of their books. Finally the bell rang for break.


“I'd like your attention.” Professor Sprout said before they could get up. “Please tidy up and set up for note taking next class.” She smiled and headed into the office at the back of the classroom.


“What did she mean?” Harry asked with a yawn. “What class is next?”


Su made a face. “Herbology. We've got double Herbology in the morning and double Potions this afternoon.” She pulled her gloves back on and started cleaning up the mess they'd made. Some of their classmates left to get cleaned up, but most people just washed their hands in the large sink at the front of the classroom.


Harry finished drying the table and took out his writing supplies. Herbology could be boring and take ages to show any results, but it was crucial to potion making. He'd learned how to tend basic plants and herbs for his father. It was always a good idea to have the ingredients on hand that could be needed at any moment.


Soon the bell was chiming again and Professor Sprout came back into the classroom. Luckily, her lectures were nothing like Quirrel's and Binns's. She liked using demonstrations and charms that showed them what she meant. It was an interesting class even if Harry's hand hurt from note taking by the end.


“I'm going to take a shower.” Harry said. “I didn't have time to shower last night.” He told Kevin and Draco. “And now we're all covered in dirt.”


Kevin nodded. “At least there's time. Nice to have Herbology right before lunch. We don't have another class for 45 minutes.”


“Let's go!” Harry hurried toward Ravenclaw with the rest of his classmates. Everyone wanted to shower and get the dirt off of themselves before lunch and classes.


Harry showered quickly, making sure the soap was out of his hair and the dirt gone from behind his nails before putting on clean robes. He gathered up his punishment essay and headed to the Great hall. With luck there would still be some decent food left.


“Hi Harry.” Su was walking beside him.


“Hey.” Harry gave her a small smile. They entered the Great hall and took seats at the Ravenclaw table. Harry took some of the sandwiches and salad. He could feel his parents staring at him and he didn't want to get in trouble for skipping out on his vegetables.


Eating didn't take long. Harry was hungry and cleaned his plate easily. He shot a quick look at the head table. His mother was deep in conversation with Professor Quirrel. Harry shivered as he remembered the conversation he'd overheard the night before.


“Is potions like cooking?” Lisa asked. “It was the only textbook I didn't have time to read. But my sister said that is was like chemistry and cooking put together.”


Harry concentrated on not laughing. Potion making is nothing like cooking! Here's a situation when I can completely agree with my mother. Muggleborns can be so stupid. And I almost feel sorry for her. Of all the textbook, you should read the potions one first.

 

“Not really.” Padma and Kevin spent a few minutes explained the more basic principles of potion making. “You use a cauldron and you add things to it. But beyond that it's quite different. Things don't tend to explode in cooking.” Padma said. “I like baking, but when I forget the flour it doesn't blow up.”


“Oh.” Lisa looked nervously at her textbook. “I was never good at cooking. My father took care of everything in the kitchen. I just had to wash the dishes.”


“What's that like?” Harry asked. “I always wondered about washing dishes. I mean, scrapping and scrubbing cauldrons is hard enough. Why would muggles wash all of their dishes by hand? Isn't that rather difficult?”


Lisa and Stephen both stared at him. “There isn't much of a choice. You can either wash the dishes or leave them dirty.” Lisa said, scowling at him, as if it was his fault that she had to wash the dishes.


“We've got a dish waster.” Stephen said. “But you still have to load and unload it.” He shrugged. “How do wizards wash the dishes? Is there a spell or something?”


Harry goggled at them. Things that seemed to be so simple and common sense to him and the other wizard raised were things that they'd never know unless someone told them. “Here the house elves wash them. And we've got elves at home.” He said. “I don't know what people who don't have elves do.”


“There's a spell.” Padma said. “It makes the dishes wash themselves. I loved watching it when I was little. It's really cool to see the stuff dance around in the bubbles.”


“Speaking of dancing, I wouldn't want to be late for potions. I could just imagine Snape making us

dance over hot coals.” Lisa said. “My sister told me that he can be rather nasty.”


The other Ravenclaws stood up. “I definitely wouldn't want to be late to his class.” Harry agreed. “Does anyone know the way?” He asked. Everyone shook their heads and he lead the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs to the dungeon classroom.