Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Xandra for betaing.
A Confrontation

Harry glanced around the Great hall. The Weasley twins had entered ten minutes ago and he hoped they were still waiting for his signal. Soon he'd been starting his grand plan and by eleven o'clock that evening everything should be like it was suppose to, if no one strayed from the plan.


After what seemed like forever the clock chimed six times, signalling the beginning of the Halloween feast. The house tables were stuffed full and the crowds of children seemed more rumbustious than usual. Only the head table was rather subdued and that could be chalked up to the fact that Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy, and Flitwick were all missing. Harry glanced up but avoided his parents eyes and turned back to his empty plate and glass.


“Are we going to start? I'm starved!” Stephen rubbed his stomach dramatically.


Kevin laughed. “Just waiting for Dumbledore. I hope he gets here soon.” He stared mournfully at the empty plates. It seemed so long since he'd eaten a feast at Hogwarts. And this one would be nice since there was no worry of what hand he held his fork in or what he truly was.


But the meal didn't start as expected. The large doors banged open and six people strode through purposefully. They walked in rows of three with the person in the middle wearing handcuffs and being prodded along at wand-point. The occupants of the head table got to their feet and a few of the students stood up, leaning to try and catch sight of the figures.


Alastor Moody left his prisoner in the care of his partner and stepped onto the raised platform in front of the head table. “The feast is postponed until further notice by order of the Ministry of Magic. Everyone out!”


There was a loud noise as the benches were pushed back and students surged towards the doors. More Aurors in full uniform entered and stopped a few of the students, keeping them in the great hall. The Ravenclaw table was turned and both Aurors and students took seats on it.


Harry was too surprised to move. This was not something he'd been expecting. In fact, this totally destroyed all his plans. He bit his lower lip, trying to form another plan as he quickly headed to the doors, hoping to catch up with his peers and connect with them over the unexpected development. He might be able to use this to his advantage.


But once again his plans were ruined. “Harry Snape?” A woman with pink hair stopped him by putting a hand on his shoulder. “Stay here please.” She directed him back into the great hall and he took a seat once again, still avoiding the gaze of his parents, he tried to not look at anyone really.


Auror Moody stepped to the front of the group again, Professor McGonagall was standing next to him. From her shocked expression Harry gathered that something extremely unexpected had happened. Usually the anamagi was rather hard to faze, much to his displeasure. It made her difficult to prank and tended to land him in detention.


“Anyone know anything about this?” Moody asked, waving a hand at the two prisoners.


Harry looked at the prisoners this time. It took him a second to realize what he was seeing. Long white beards, purple robes with yellow stars and green robes with red cactuses. Both men had the same long hair and the same crooked nose and twinkling blue eyes. “Alastor really-” The first Dumbledore said, but he was cut off.


“No talking!” Moody ordered. “You're probably not even the real Dumbledore.”


The small door behind the head table opened and another figure walked into the room lifting his arms high. “I apologise for the delay and I'd like to welcome all of you to the Hogwarts Halloween feast!” He looked around when no one responded to him. “Ah, this is a predicament.”


Moody sent four Aurors up to get the rid Dumbledore, handcuff him and bring him down to join the other two. “Now if we could get started, “ He began, only to be interrupted once again when Madame Hooch and Madame Pince entered the hall, bringing yet another Dumbledore between them.


Moody crossed his arms and looked angrily at the four Dumbledores, all of whom were smiling and twinkling as if they hadn't a care in the world. “Now then, if we may be allowed to proceed, finally I'd like-”


Once again his words were interrupted with a door opening. Only this time it was the main doors and no Dumbledore came through, simply Hagrid. “I got yer message.” He announced in a rough and hurt voice. “I couldn't really believe it.” He dropped his face to his hand. “Dumbledore's a great man Alastor. You know that.”


Moody brandished his wand at the four Dumbledores. “But which one of them is the great man and which three are imposters?” He scowled and looked around the room. “Snape!”


Severus stood up and left the high table warily. Moody had never really been happy with him. He seemed to not believe that Severus had truly changed sides and was always hounding him and Dumbledore, asking why Severus wasn't in prison and what it was that made Dumbledore trust the ex-Death Eater.


“I want Veritaserum.” Moody demanded in a fashion that reminded Severus of the way he'd been treated during his interrogations at the Ministry. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement may have made certain potions and spells illegal, but they had no difficulties using them on their own prisoners. But he kept his snide remarks to himself. It wouldn't help him or anyone, in fact it would most likely hinder the situation at hand.


Bellatrix slipped her hand nervously into Severus'. She didn't like Moody and during the weekend she'd spent with her husband at the fertility clinic she'd gotten into the habit of holding his hand whenever she was distressed, whether it be nerves, anger, or fear.


“I haven't got any. Veritaserum takes months to brew and it doesn't keep well.” Severus informed the ageing Auror. “I suggest you simply ask them something the real Dumbledore would know and only him. Now if you'll excuse me. . .” He didn't wait for an answer and lead Bellatrix off the head dais to the floor and they came to stand around Harry, each resting a hand on his shoulder.


Moody snorted. “Fine Dumbledore. Dumbledores.” He glanced at McGonagall for a moment. “What did you tell me the day that I left the school for the Auror academy?” Snape rolled his eyes. If he was in charge of the interrogation, he would have asked them in separate rooms so they couldn't steal answers.


All four of the Dumbledore's smiled. “Good work Alastor. You'll make an excellent Auror, if you can keep your paranoia in check.”


Another confirmed his answer, “That it was.”


The other two nodded. “I was about to say that.” One of them proclaimed to the hall.


Alastor turned angrily back to Severus. “Snape! Your plan is useless! How am I suppose to know which ones really knew and which ones were making the answer up?”


Severus shrugged. “You're the Auror. How can you expect a nasty, evil, Slytherin like me to help you?” He was rather enjoying himself, quoting Moody's insults back at him. He let a smirk creep onto his face and exchanged an amused smile with Bellatrix.


McGonagall sighed. “It's probably just polyjuice potion. Wait an hour and there will be one Dumbledore and three criminals Mad-Eye. It's not truly that difficult.”


Alastor crossed his arms angrily. “I want justice woman! And I want it now! Who knows what could happen in that hour! Any one of these men could commit a horrible crime in their stolen body.” The Auror wasn't usually so hot-headed, but seeing his mentor in such a state was really getting to him. Most of the Law Enforcement department was glad that his retirement was in less than a year.


Severus growled and snapped his fingers to summon a house elf. The two exchanged words for a moment before the house elf popped away. A moment later a plate full of steaming food appeared on the table behind Severus. He picked it up and thrust it towards Moody. “Here, eat while you wait. It'll make the time past more quickly.” Not to mention that even you aren't rude enough to talk and chew at the same time. There will be some blessed peace and quiet.


Harry twisted around to look up at his parents. Things weren't going the way he wanted them to. The window of time that would let his plan work wasn't very large and the few minutes he had were quickly disappearing. He needed the entire school in the Great Hall and the Weasley twins helping him. He was rather surprised at that, after all he had nearly killed their brother and then hired them to help him out.


“Hello Harry.” Severus whispered as Bellatrix ran the fingers of her free hand through his hair. It was rather greasy, like his adopted father's, but it was still the beautiful colour somewhere between her own and Andromeda's.


Harry continued to look at his parents. “How much longer is it going to take? And what's happening?” He leaned in close and whispered, “Is this a Halloween prank?”


Bellatrix and Severus exchanged amused looks again, this time with Severus raising his eyebrow. “I believe so Harry.” Bellatrix whispered before sinking to the bench behind him and putting a hand to her head.


Severus knelt down next to her immediately. “Is something wrong?” He asked worriedly. One of the procedures they'd tried was rather risky, but the side effects weren't suppose to appear until the third trimester.


She waved him off. “Just a light headache. Have you got a draft?” The light blue potion appeared from Severus' pocket and she swallowed it, relaxing visibly as the contents were absorbed into her bloodstream and the pain in her head lessened before totally disappearing.


Severus looked up at the master clock. There was still another forty, possibly thirty minutes until the polyjuice potion worn off completely, and he had no reason to stick around. “Harry, come with me please.” He put a hand on Harry's shoulder and began to guide him out of the hall.


Moody looked up angrily and nervously when he saw the movement with his magical eyes. He scowled, some food falling from his mouth with the expression and he very nearly spoke against Severus. In the moment that he hesitated, Severus continued walking and the Auror settled for motioning to the pink haired girl to follow the two of them out into the hall.


Harry pulled out from Severus' grip. “What's going on? Could you screw things up any more?” He demanded angrily.


“I could ask the same of you.” Severus knelt down, so that he was on Harry's level and looked into his eyes. “Harry, what's been going on these past few weeks? I know that I've been busy, but you can always come speak to me. You're hurting your friends, other students. You haven't been down to our quarters in weeks. And when you do come it's for the book group. Speaking of the book group, you never do anything but pout and complain at those meetings.” He looked angrily at his son. “What do you have to say for yourself?”


Harry crossed his arms defiantly. “Nothing. No wait that's not what I meant!” He rushed to add when Severus got an odd and triumphant look on his face. “It's not my fault! The other Ravenclaws are too sensitive. The only reason I attacked Ron is because he drew his wand first. I was protecting myself!” he protested. “And I never liked the book group! They choose a topic without me and they leave me out of everything. And you are mum are always wrapped up in all this baby stuff and I just don't care any more!” He burst out angrily.


Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder. “Thank you for telling me all that Harry. In the future please don't throw dark curses around as if they were quaffles. There will be serious consequences next time.” He sat down on the floor and pulled Harry into his lap.


“I didn't mean to leave you behind Harry. Your Mum and I will always love you. Even if we have another child. It means that there will be more love, not less and you will have a little brother or sister.” He looked at his son for a moment, thinking. “I was certain you were fine with the idea. You definitely didn't show any anger.”


Harry shrugged and moved into his father's warm embrace, feeling his comforting body heat and listening to the sound of his beating heart. “I'm sorry.” He whispered into Severus' black cloak.


“I know you are.” Severus murmured, rubbing Harry's back in gentle, soothing circles. “Just tell that to your friends. I'm sure they will see true.” He smiled a true smile for a fraction of a second. “I love you Harry. No matter what you do. No matter what happens.”


Harry looked up. “Promise?”


“Promised.” Severus added, one last bit of confirmation.


The pink haired Auror blushed when Severus turned his cold gaze to her. “Moody sent you out here?” he asked, his voice hardening into one that was so different from the one he'd used to speak with Harry that they could easily have come from completely different people.


She nodded. “I'm sorry. I did cast a silencing charm around the tow of you while you spoke. I would never listen in.”


Severus nodded his thanks and got to his feet, taking Harry with him. “What's your name? You look vaguely familiar.”


She grimaced and her hair turned black. “Tonks, Just Tonks.”


Severus snapped his fingers. “Andromeda's girl! Nympha, Nymph something.” He glanced at her once more. “Nymphadora Tonks! I'm your Uncle Severus. It's odd. To suddenly realise that you're an uncle.”


She nodded, “Just Tonks.” And her hair turned back to it's bright pink colour. “Auror Moody would like you back in the Great Hall. Your heat-to-heart lasted a little bit longer than it was meant to.” She looked slightly embarrassed and held the door open for them to file back into the room.


Moody was staring at the clock intently. “Another few seconds and that potion will begin to wear off. We'll know who you truly are.”


Harry was getting nervous. He knew quite a bit about polyjuice potion and unless it was made by anyone other than a master with the finest ingredients the potion begin to wear off about forty minutes, turning the person completely back into their self during the last twenty. Of the Dumbledores at the front, all still looked one hundred percent real.


Severus pulled Harry along with him as he made his way over to Bellatrix. She was sitting on one of the benches, braiding hair of all the girls in the hall. Some of them had several braids, others one large and rather ugly one. Severus raised an eyebrow at his wife. She'd been practising all kinds of skills such as sewing and braiding hair recently. Everything would be ruined if she was still infertile.


A small buzzer went off. Moody waved his wand and faced the Dumbledores. “Your time is up. Let's see who's real among the lot of you.”