Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A visit to the Healer

Harry looked around the clinic's waiting room with wide eyes. He hadn't been very many places. And usually when he went someone his parents put charms on him to change his appearance. Only at school and home he looked like Harry Potter. And when this day was done he wouldn't look like himself any more.

Severus felt his son's grip on his hand tighten and he squeezed back gently. “It will be all right child. We'll wait for Bellatrix to finish with her sister.” He lead Harry to a small couch and pulled him down beside him. “Don't worry.”

Bellatrix exchanged hugs and greeting with her sister. “Andromeda!”

“Bellatrix!”

“How's your daughter?” Bellatrix always asked the same question. She didn't know why she did. It was still a sore spot that adopted children were the only ones she could have.

Andromeda smiled. “Nymphadora? She's wonderful. Just graduated from Hogwarts. She'll be going into the auror program.” She smiled and her face shone with happiness and approval at her daughter's choices.

“Great.” Bellatrix forced a smiled. “I hope she does well. After all. . .” I was going to remark about her blood! How could I! This is Andromeda's daughter! I need to forget who her father is. What her father is.

A few pamphlets were thrust into her hand. “I want you to read these Bellatrix. They came from a muggle hospital I've been working with. They're about some new techniques that could help you.” Andromeda looked at her sister. “Promise me that you'll read them.”

“I will.” Bellatrix looked at the paper on top. A New Child was written across the top in muggle printing. Could this be? She thought. Bellatrix flipped through the papers. It is. Muggles can let me have a child. They have succeed where wizards have failed. Imagine that! I wonder. . .

Bellatrix gave her head a shake. She already had a son. A son that she loved and cherished. She wasn't going to give him up for an unborn child that would require muggle methods to survive inside her. And Rodolphus was locked in Azkaban. They wouldn't be able to even attempt having children.

“Bring in Harry.” Andromeda gave her sister a push towards the door of the waiting room. “He must be terrified by now.”

Bellatrix nodded numbly and slipped out through the door. Severus and Harry sat silently on the couch. Harry was studying his clasped hands and Severus was studying him. Both of them looked quickly in her direction when the door opened.

“Come on Harry.” Severus stood and gently lead Harry into the work room with a hand on his shoulder. “It'll be all right.” He reminded him. “I brewed all the potions and I'll be here the entire time.”

Harry nodded and looked at Andromeda with wide eyes. She was tall and looked a lot like his Mother. They were sisters, he knew that.

“Hello Harry.” Andromeda knelt down next to him. “Are you ready? By the end of today you won't need glasses any more!” She touched his arm gently.

“Hi Healer Black.” Harry whispered. He shrunk away when Andromeda touched him. “I'm ready.”

Andromeda smiled. “You can call me Aunt Andromeda.” She told him. “Come on up.” She patted the table in front of her. “We can get started.”

“Okay, Aunt Andromeda.” Harry said timidly. Severus picked him up carefully and at him on the table. He smiled when his son looked at him.

Andromeda used her wand to cast warding and sterilizing charms on her hands. They were like medical gloves, only they offered more protection and were easier to work in. She cast a few diagnostic charms on Harry to make sure that there wasn't anything in his body that could interfere with all the potions and magic.

Then she used a special spell that acted like a microscope to show her Harry's eyes. “Ready?” She asked him, before taking three potions out of the box of vials Severus had sent her.

Harry nodded. “Yes. Da?” He reached out a hand.

Severus stepped next to his son and took his hand. “It'll be all right Harry. Your aunt knows what she's doing.” He gently held Harry's small hand between his two larger ones.

“Okay. I need you to take these potions Harry.” Andromeda showed him the three vials. “The first is to numb your eyes so that you don't feel anything. The next one will make your pupils bigger so that I can fix them and the last one will help you relax for the entire time.” She handed Severus the vials. “Your father will give them to you.”

Severus tried to smile reassuringly at his son. I'm glad I made the potions. And I'm certain I didn't screw them up. He thought. He was as nervous as Harry was, the procedures could go badly wrong and Harry could end up blind and disfigured. But it was a very slim chance and he hadn't been told about the worst case scenarios.

“Will they taste bad?” Harry asked anxiously. He knew that even if they tasted foul he'd still have to take them. But he asked any ways.

“They don't taste very nice.” Severus told him. Once he saw Harry's expression he added, “drink them quickly. You may have some water once they're gone.” With that he uncorked the first bottle and handed it to Harry.

With a grimace Harry swallowed the three potions as quickly as he could. I'd rather take them myself. I hate it when Da gets angry and makes me take potions. It makes them taste even nastier than they usually do. Once he'd finished the three potions his face was starting to feel rather odd and he was yawning.

Andromeda came back to the side of the table, a floating tray of equipment trailed behind her and came to a stop next to her right arm. “All set Harry?” She asked.

“Yeah. My face feels weird.” Harry told her.

“It should.” Andromeda told him. “I'm going to change the table so that you can lie down.” Once he nodded she transfigured the table into a chair, similar to a dentist's chair. “Lie back.” She said.

Harry let his Da and the healer position him so that he was lying in the chair. He felt distant and strange. As if he was about to fall asleep, but his eyes stayed open. The result of one of the charms that had been cast on his eyes.

While Andromeda worked and Harry drowsed his parents waited. Severus held his son's hand and watched as Andromeda used spells and drops of potions to remove the damaged parts of Harry's eyes so that he'd be able to see again.

Bellatrix continued to read the informational pamphlets in the waiting room. I'd still like to have more children. A daughter perhaps. If everything goes as planned my husband should be quite willing to give it a try. She thought. It would be wonderful.

Just as Harry felt the relaxation potion begin to wear off Andromeda stepped away from him ans slowly raised the back of the chair. She spelled his face and her hands clean before removing the spell that projected his eyes into the centre of the room.

“How do you feel?” She asked well taking hand and feeling his pulse. “Can you see?”

Harry blinked his eyes clean and rubbed the leftover debris from them. Then he looked at his Da. “Wow!” He exclaimed. “I can see everything.” He looked at his aunt, around the room and back to his father. “Thank you!” He cried as he gave both of the adults a hug. “I can see!”

Severus smirked. “You've already said that. There really is no need to repeat yourself.” But he smiled at the end and Harry knew that he wasn't angry.

“Wonderful.” Andromeda sent the floating tray back to one of the counters at the side of the room. “There's no need to continue taking the potion for your eyes either.”

“Yay!” Harry cheered again. “I'll be able to play Quidditch even better now!” Sometimes when they played at school his glasses came off or got all foged up. And even with his glasses the other players could still see better.

Severus put his hand onto Harry's leg to keep him from jumping off the table. “I think we'd better get back to work.” He told both Andromeda and Harry. “There's still a lot to do.” He reminded them.

Andromeda nodded and set off to get the supplies she would need to change the shape of Harry's face. They'd already figured out how they wee going to do it and Harry would end up with a face similar to Bellatrix and Andromeda with a little bit of Severus's face mixed in.

“Andromeda's going to change your face now.” Severus explained. “There's only two potions this time.” He told his son.

“Will it hurt?” Harry asked. Getting his eyes fixed hadn't hurt. His face had been numb, but the potion had already worn off.

Severus sighed. I've only ever taken Polyjuice potion. Not the permanent type. I do know that it will hurt more than polyjuice. “Yes, it will hurt a little bit Harry.” He patted his son's leg. “But I'll be right here and you can hold my hand the entire time.”

“Let's get it over with.” Harry said as Andromeda came back with the potions and spelled gloves onto her hands and Harry's face clean.

Andromeda looked at Harry very seriously. “Your face is going to hurt Harry. It will feel hot and itch a little bit. But it is very important that you don't move or touch it. If I have to I'll put you in a body bind but it's better if I don't. DO you understand?” She asked him.

Harry gulped and nodded. At Andromeda's signal he laid back in the chair and made himself comfortable. Severus moved up and grabed tightly onto both of his hands. It would give Harry something to squeeze and stop him from touching his face at the same time.

“Here you go.” Severus held the first potion to his lips. Harry didn't protest. He swallowed the drafts quickly and held on tight to his father's hands.

Andromeda had her wand out and was busy casting spells to restrain the changes and make sure that they went exactly as planned.

Harry whimpered as he felt the bones in his face burn and start to shift. He tightened his grip on his father's hands and tried to breathe deeply as his nose got longer and his cheekbones moved up. Then the burning stopped only to be replaced moments later with itching as his skin settled back over his skull and face. Finally everything settled.

“Looks good!” Andromeda waved her wand and summoned a mirror to her hand. She handed it to Harry. “Have a look.” She turned to Severus. “He looks good, doesn't he?”

Severus was still startled at seeing the new features on his son's face. “Yes. He looks wonderful.” His son looked more like him and Lily. There was nothing of James left in him, save his hair.

The mirror was brightly polished, but Harry wasn't ready for what it showed him. That's me! I look like Da! And sort of like Mother. He thought. His cheekbones were higher and his nose was longer like Bellatrix's. But his eyes were still green and they hadn't changed his hair yet.

Andromeda pointed her wand at him. “We'll leave your eyes green. I couldn't bare to change them. But the hair. . .”

“Change it.” Severus said shortly. No more James! I hate looking at my son and seeing that bully. He thought. “Perhaps lighter? Like your own?”

Andromeda looked at her hair. It was a cross between light brown and black. Similar to her sister's but still her own. She turned to Harry. “Would you like hair the colour of mine?” She asked him.

Harry looked at her hair and then considered his own before nodding. “Yes please. You have nice hair Aunt Andromeda.”

Andromeda smiled and used a spell to make his hair straighter and lighter. As it straightened it also grew longer. “You'll need to cut that later.” She told Severus. “Long hair isn't something he can pull off this long.”

Severus chuckled quietly. “Of course. I know a charm to cut it.” He took three potion vials. “Take these Harry. Then the changes will be permanent and no one will be able to remove them.”

Harry glared at the potion. It looked like swamp sludge. He drank the potion down after a glare from Severus and one from Andromeda that reminded him of his Mother. The potions didn't make him feel any different. And his Da gave him water to drink after he finished them.

“Thank you.” Harry said again. He snuggled into his Da's arms and smiled at his aunt. She smiled back before turning to leave the room.

“I'll be right back. I just need to get the healer who's going to cover your scar.”' She told the two before hurrying out to meet the man. He was a muggle and wouldn't be able to see the clinic without her touching him.