Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has reviewed and read my story. Special thanks to my sister for betaing.
Muggle Medicine

“Doctor Turpin?” Andromeda offered her hand. “I'm Andromeda Tonks. I'll show you to the clinic.” She thrust her hand toward him and smiled when he back away. “You won't be able to see the building unless you're touching me.” She explained patiently. “Come on.”


Jonathan Turpin took the woman's offered hand. He'd never been to her clinic before. Every time they needed to communicate she'd come to his clinic or his elder daughter had taken a message up the street. Both of Jonathan's daughters were witches. Muggle-borns. Lisa and Patricia. Patricia was a sixth year Hufflepuff and Lisa was starting Hogwarts this fall.


The doctor and the healer came quickly up the path to the front door. Andromeda opened it and allowed her colleague to step in first. She stepped in behind him and closed the door tightly behind her.


“Welcome.” Bellatrix stood from her place on a sofa. She put aside the pamphlet she'd been reading. Her face threatened to twist into a mask of dislike and anger. But the years of teaching had helped her self-control and she managed to keep her face relaxed and calm.


“Hello!” Jonathan smiled and extended his hand to the woman. He was a kind man and smiled easily. His face was creased with wrinkles from his near constant smile.


Bellatrix flinched away from his hand in revulsion. I don't want muggle on me! She thought. Then she realized what she'd done.  This man is my sister's guest. He's going to fix my son. 

She looked back at him. “I apologize. I have things on my mind.”


Andromeda shot her sister a look. She knew the tone her sister was using and it never turned out well. “Bellatrix.” She said warningly. Her sister caught the look and after grabbing the pamphlets she was reading she fled into her sister's house behind the clinic.


Jonathan looked at Andromeda. “Is she all right?” He asked. There was no angry or hurt in his voice. He was genuinely concerned for the woman, who six years ago would have killed him and felt better for it.


“She'll be fine.” Andromeda lead the way into the Examination and Treatment room. Harry still sat on the table and Severus stood next to him. “Jonathan, I'd like you to meet Professor Severus Snape and his son, Harry Black.”


“Honoured.” Jonathan shook Harry's hand. He didn't attempt to touch Severus. The taller man simply glared at him.


“Harry and Severus, this is Jonathan Turpin. He's a muggle plastic surgeon.” Andromeda explained. It had taken her several weeks to understand basic muggle medicine and doctors. It was all so primitive to her.


“Your daughter.” Severus said. “She is a Hufflepuff, a sixth year now I believe.” The girl's brewing skills are passable. But she drives me insane with all her references to muggle chemistry. Wizards have chemistry, but it is quite a bit different.

 

Jonathan nodded. “She's mentioned you. I didn't know you had a son.” He nodded to Harry, who with his new facial changes could have passed as Severus's biological child.


Severus refrained to comment and simply looked at his son. He brushed his new long hair aside and exposed the small, red lightening blot scar. “You will be able to cover this?” His voice made it clear that he only expected one answer.


After pending down and peering at the mark, Jonathan nodded. “Should be easy enough. This is something you can't do with magic?”


Andromeda sighed. “This is a very special case. That's why we're depending on your discretion.” she waved a hand to indicate the entire room. “Will this be enough or is there anything special at you will need?”


Jonathan stared at the three wizards. “You want me to do it now? I thought. . .”


Severus interrupted. “What you thought is not important. We have far better techniques and potions then you do. It will be much simpler.”


Harry looked around. He was scared. A muggle had appeared. Muggles kill people! I don't want to die! 

He slipped back from the edge of the table and tried to hide behind his father. The adults were so caught up in their conversation that none of them noticed Harry's distress.


“I'll need a few things you don't have here.” Jonathan said to conclude the discussion. “My daughter said you'd be able to summon them?”


Snape nodded and after squeezing Harry's shoulder he followed the muggle out to retrieve his supplies. “I'll be back before anything starts.” He promised Harry.


Harry nodded and watched fearfully as his Da left the room. It made him feel alone and exposed. He shivered unconsciously. He felt eyes on the back of his neck. Spinning around nervously he jumped at the woman who reminded him so much of his mother. “I'm scared Aunt Andromeda.” He whispered as he curled into her robes.

 

Andromeda pulled over of her her gently and carefully had him lie back on the chair again. “It'll be all right Harry. You'll take a potion and go to sleep and then when you wake up, it will all be over! Okay?” She smiled at him.


“'Kay.” Harry replied nervously. He shivered from the cool air when Andromeda spelled him into loose pyjamas and fixed his hair out of his face. She arranged a few things next to him before taking out a vial with a lavender coloured potion.


“This is a knock out elixir Harry. When you drink it, you'll fall asleep and have sweet dreams. Severus, your Da will hold your hand and he'll still be holding it when you wake up.” She smiled in a reassuring manner. “We'll just wait until he gets back.”


The two men returned shortly. Jonathan had a cloth bag with his supplies and Severus was still scowling at the man's awestruck reaction to the summoning charms he'd use.


“Get started.” He snapped before taking his place beside Harry and picking up his hand. “Don't worry Harry. It will be all right.”


Harry nodded and bit his lip nervously. “Just get it over with.” He muttered so quietly that only Severus heard him. He looked fearfully at the supplies laid out and the lavender potion that Andromeda had just handed to his father.


“Here you go.” Severus raised his son up and tipped the vial against his lips. The potion was cool and sweet, unlike the others it slipped easily down his throat. A haze settled over him and Harry's eyes drifted closed.


The healer and the doctor waited for a few minutes to make sure the potion had their patient fully under. Jonathan pulled on sterile gloves and a mask and watched wide-eyed as Andromeda spelled the area sterile and created magical gloves on her own hands and over-top of his muggle ones.


“Let's get started.” The next three hours were a flurry of activity and work, both magical and muggle. Harry's scar disappeared under newly grown skin and layers of charms and topical potions. The tiny lightening bolt that meant so much to the wizarding world was gone. And in it's place there was only a boy left.


Harry felt fuzz start to retreat from his mind. He blinked his eyes and reached for his glasses, not remembering until he felt his father's hand that he no longer needed his glasses and wasn't in his own bed. “Da!” His eyes flew open suddenly. “Is it done?” He reached his free hand up to feel his forehead.


“Not yet.” Severus cautioned as he took the boy's other hand. “The area is still tender. You cannot touch it yet.” He looked piercingly at the site. “But it is looking much better. By tonight you won't be able to tell that there even was a scar.”


Harry smiled happily. “Great!” He looked around the small room. “Where are we?” It didn't look like any part of Aunt Andromeda's clinic that he'd seen so far.


“A recovery room. You slept off the potion in here.” Severus told him. There was two beds, only Harry's was occupied and a few shelves of books on the white walls. Severus let go of his hands and stood up. “I'm going to get your mother. She wants to see you.”


Bellatrix eagerly put down her fertility clinic forms and followed Severus into the room to see her son. He looked tired and very different. His hair and face. . . and the scar!


“Amazing.” She sat on the edge of his bed and drew him into a hug. “I'm so proud of you, Harry Black. My son!” She smiled at the boy who passed for her son and looked very little like the Boy-Who-Lived.


“Can we go home?” Harry asked. “And can I look at my head?” He wanted to see what he looked like now. After all the changes he still hadn't gotten to see his face.


Severus waved his wand and handed his son a mirror. “Here you go.” Then he headed out the door to find Andromeda and ask her when they could leave.


Harry marveled at his new face. He loved his hair, even if it was a little long and he felt the new elongated shape of his nose. All his hair was lighter. It reminded him a little bit of his birth mother's. His Da had shown him a few pictures of her. Her name was Lily, and she was prettier than the flower she was named for.


“How do you feel Harry? Sore at all?” Andromeda entered the room and cast a diagnostic spell on his face. “It all looks good.” She told his parents. “I can't stay long. An emergency is coming in. You can leave when ever you're ready. But I think Jonathan wanted to talk to you.” She smiled and hurried back to the front of the clinic.


Bellatrix smiled tightly and squeezed Severus's hand. “Let's talk to the muggle, then we'll head to Diagon Alley.”


“Fine.” Severus spelled his son back into his robes and helped him off the bed. “Maybe Harry could talk to his daughter. I believe she starts Hogwarts this year.”


Bellatrix's mouth tightened. “She's a mudblood.”


Harry looked a this mother. “Mother, that's a bad word! I'm not allowed to say it any more.” He told her seriously.


“Let's get this over with.” Bellatrix stalked out of the clinic, her robes billowed angrily behind her like Severus's tended to do.


“Doctor Turpin?” She stopped in front of the muggle. “Is there something we can do for you?”


The muggle shuddered before her. “I just wanted to say hello. After all you do know Patricia and Lisa's starting this fall.” He motioned to the two girls that were standing next to him.


Harry stepped in front of the younger one. “Pleased to meet Miss Turpin.” He said, his voice was as unemotional as his father's often was. It was polite, but distant.


“Hi. I'm Lisa.” The girl giggled and straightened her muggle clothes.

 

Hideous things. Harry thought.  Muggle clothes are quite ugly. I prefer my robes. 

The way Bellatrix was staying a few steps back let him know tat she was thinking the same thing.


The two families stood face to face for a few minutes. Neither one had anything to say and the atmosphere was tense. Bellatrix was biting her tongue to stop herself from saying less than flattering things about muggles and mudbloods and the other family was out of their element in the magical clinic.


“I think we'd better be going.” Jonathan put his his hands protectively on his daughters shoulders. “The guide will be here to take us to the Alley soon.” He lead the his family out of the building and back down the street towards his house.


“Can we go now to?” Harry asked, bouncing lightly on the balls of his feet. “We can get my school things!” He made his eyes big and tried to look pitiful so that his parents would take pity on him and maybe go for ice cream too.


“Don't do that Harry.” Severus scolded.


“Begging is not for wizards.” Bellatrix added as she glared at the door the muggles had just walked out of. “We've got to go to Diagon Alley. I don't see why we couldn't pick up your school things.”


“Yay!” Harry did a little jump. “Robes and books and a wand!” He hugged his parents and pulled them out the door behind him.


“Bellatrix and I must make an important stop first.” Severus told his son. “You'll come with us, but you must be quiet and polite. Understand?”


“Yes sir!” Harry danced around. “In school do I have to call you sir?”


“Or Professor Snape.” His Da told him. “Just like all the other students. You may return to our quarters on the weekends if you wish. But I think you;ll prefer to stay with your house mates.”


Harry nodded. “Let's go!” He looked up at them. “How are we getting there? Where are we going?”


Severus didn't answer. He took Harry in his arms and after nodding to Bellatrix they spun around sharply and apparated out of the clinic with a loud pop. After the usual jarring sensation of apparation they stopped in front of a small building.


“Here we are.” Bellatrix opened the door and Severus lead Harry inside. He looked around nervously before turning back to is parents.


“Who's getting married?” He demanded.