Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The return of the servant


Chapter 39- The calm before the storm

Harry and Cedric each grabbed a handle and instantly felt a hook behind their navel and their feel left the ground.

 

Chapter 40- The return of the servant

Harry’s feet slammed on the ground and his injured leg gave away as he fell forward. He broke his fall with his hands losing his grandfather’s wand in the process. He grabbed his aching and burning leg with one of his hands and bit his lip against the pain. It was getting worse and the burning sensation was traveling farther up his leg; it felt like it was getting ripped slowly from inside out.

The Triwizard Cup rolled in between Harry and Cedric, and he asked Cedric in a strained whisper, “Where are we?”

Cedric shook his head and got up. He pulled Harry to his feet and looked around. It was so dark they could barely make out shapes which seemed to create a graveyard. They were definitely not at Hogwarts anymore. Harry tried to kneel down, feeling for his wand, and at the same time be alert.

“Do you think this is part of the task?” Cedric asked apprehensively.

“Dumbledore wouldn’t allow us to be taken away from Hogwarts,” Harry answered with certainty. He had no idea where they were but one thing he was sure of, this was not a friendly place to be.

“Someone’s coming,” Cedric said as they heard a rustle of leaves. They squinted tensely towards the darkness as a figure drew near. Harry kept patting the ground with his left hand and keeping his right wrist ready to flick out his other wand. He didn’t want to use it until it was his last resort lest he loose both wands. As the figure approached, he could see it was tall and slender and carrying what looked like a baby.

Without warning, Harry’s scar exploded with pain and he put his hands over his face. A horrible feeling came to him as he recalled the last time he felt such pain and suddenly he knew who those figures were. Harry reached one hand out and searched for Cedric. He grasped the boy’s hand and tried pulling him down as he heard a cold voice hiss, “Kill the spare.”

Cedric didn’t understand at first but Harry managed to pull him down just in time to avoid the green light of the “Avada Kedrava” that the tall figure sent his way.

“Oh, wittle Hawwy wants to play?” a singsong voice asked. “He wants to save his wittle fwiend.”

“Run,” Harry gasped out through the pain to Cedric. “They want me, not you.”

“No,” Cedric shook his head. “I won’t leave you alone,” he said, trying to help Harry up so they could run together. But Harry was in too much pain and kept tumbling over. Suddenly a mad laugh sounded above them:

“Found you,” Bellatrix Lestrange’s face looked eerie as it was illuminated by the light of a wand. “Crucio.” She said pointing at Cedric, and he screamed and twitched in agony, falling to the ground next to Harry. “I think I’ll save you for a little fun later instead,” she said as she released the spell and with an Incarcerous, she had Cedric gagged and bound to a headstone. Then she turned to Harry who was starting to gain his bearings, propping himself up and was about to flick his wrist. She slapped him forcefully making him topple to the side. She then sent an Incarcerous at him, bounding and gagging him too, and levitated him to another headstone farther away. Harry was able to read the inscription: Tom Riddle. Every now and then Harry caught glimpses of a large snake slithering around.

What followed next was a very disturbing ritual where Bellatrix brought over a cauldron and lit a fire. She threw the baby, which Harry was sure was not a baby, inside it. Then she started chanting “Bone of the father, unknowingly given, you will renew your son.” She pointed her wand at the grave Harry was tied to and it cracked; from within came a fine trickle of dust that fell into the cauldron.

Flesh of the servant willingly give you will revive your master,” she said her eyes glinting and she took a knife from her robes and smiling she sliced her right hand off letting it fall into the cauldron. She didn’t even scream. Without stopping to care for her wound, Bellatrix turned to Harry and chanted:

Blood of the enemy forcibly taken you will resurrect your foe,” she walked swiftly to him, and without a second thought, she sliced the knife through the crook of Harry’s arm. Blood trickled down his robes and Bellatrix collected some with a conjured vial as she smiled sweetly at him and went back to the cauldron dropping the blood in it.

As the liquid within the cauldron turned white, Bellatrix stepped back to wait and wrapped her stump in her robes. As Harry silently begged for Voldemort to have drowned, the cauldron bubbled and steamed and, too quickly for Harry’s liking, a figure emerged from it and asked to be robed. With reverence Bellatrix obeyed. The figure stepped out from the cauldron and Harry looked straight into the red eyes of Lord Voldemort.

XXXXXXX

“What happened?” Sirius roared at Dumbledore as soon as the two boys disappeared from the maze. “You promised me you took care of everything. That he was not in danger!”

“Mr. Black, control yourself. What are you going on about?” Fudge spluttered.

“Did you not see them disappear just now?” Remus hissed in a strained voice as if he was in pain.

“Well, I suppose that is part of the task-“

Dumbledore shook his head at Fudge’s inability to react to danger and started towards the steps followed by Andromeda, Ted, Tonks, Sirius, Remus and Severus, leaving the still fumbling Minister behind. He didn’t have time to deal with Fudge now. They practically ran down from the Top Box to the  ground where they were met by Moody who grunted, “The cup was a Portkey. Both boys took it at the same time and were whisked away.”

“I can get to him,” Remus said but Dumbledore stopped him.

“We need to do this smartly Remus. If you go alone you’ll just be another victim. Alastor call the old crowd and meet us in my office, I’ll open the Floo. Lets go, we have to plan this quickly.”

“Plan? My son may be dead by the time we finish planning!” Sirius cried.

“We know he isn’t,” Dumbledore said, looking at Remus for confirmation who nodded jerkily. “Our best chance is to go in as a large number. We do not know what waits for us there Sirius. Better not delay it anymore.”

The group moved forward and quickly ran towards the Headmaster’s office. As they arrived and were joined by Minerva, Filius and Pomona, Dumbledore opened the Floo. “Can you lead us towards Harry, Remus?” Dumbledore asked.

And Remus, who was hugging himself and had an expression of pain, nodded and said through gritted teeth, “If we are all touching it will be like side-Apparition.”

Another hiss of pain was heard as Severus held his left arm. He rolled his sleeve up and swore, “He’s back and calling.”

Everyone paled when they saw the Dark Mark on his arm burning black.

“Backup should be here soon and we will leave as soon as they arrive,” Albus said firmly.

“I’m going now,” Severus growled and went for the door.

“Severus, you can’t. It’s too dangerous,” Minerva gasped.

“We don’t have time to wait. He’s back and his first order of business will be killing Harry. I’ll do what I can to convince him of my loyalties and bring Harry back. If I die so be it,” he said and before he left he exchanged glances with Sirius and Remus.

“We’ll be right behind you,” Sirius said firmly.

Severus ran out and not long after did Moody come back in. “They should get here any second now.”

Dumbledore nodded and went to the glass case behind him. He took Gryffindor’s sword and Andromeda said:

“A sword Albus?”

“Yes, I can’t explain why but if anyone has the chance I want them to kill Voldemort’s snake, preferably with this.”

Sirius and Remus instantly understood and nodded. Right behind him Moody whispered to Sirius as the office stared flooding with former Order Members, “Been teaching your kid a few family tricks haven’t you Black?”

Sirius looked at him strangely but said nothing.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

“Listen to me reliving family history…” Voldemort said quietly. “Why, I am growing sentimental…But look Harry! My real family returns…”

The air suddenly filled with swishing cloaks. Between the graves and the yew trees, cloaked figures Apparated and came forward. They moved slowly, as if they could hardly believe their eyes. Except for one. One came forward with certainty, as if he would be rewarded. Another Death Eater fell to his knees crawled towards Voldemort, and kissed the hem of his robes.

“Master…Master,” he murmured.

The Death Eaters behind him did the same except for the one who was so full of himself. Bellatrix sneered at all of them as if she thought they were something slimy and awful. After they all had backed away, standing up once more, and positioned themselves on a circle with few gaps, the Death Eater that hadn’t groveled came forward and bowed.

“My Lord,” he said, and Harry gasped. He knew that voice.

“Igor, my slippery snake,” Voldemort said smoothly. “You did well.”

Igor Karkaroff bowed and returned to the circle. Harry could hear astonished gasps from the Death Eaters.

“Oh, yes,” Voldemort said. “I know what you are thinking. How can I welcome him back after he betrayed us? But Lord Voldemort is forgiving,” he said smiling generously as if he was a nice grandfather. On his deformed face, that smile seemed twisted and gave Harry the creeps. “But I do not forget,” he warned. “Bellatrix, you did well too. And you shall receive your reward.”

Voldemort waved his wand, and from her stub a silver hand grew. She flexed it and you would have thought she was merely wearing a silver glove.

“Thank you my Lord,” she bowed.

“Don’t think I forgot your little misbehavior over there,” he said pointing at where Cedric was watching everything with wide eyes, unable to say anything as he was gagged just like Harry had been. “I may have been hasty in my orders though. He may be of use. I mean what use is it to kill The-Boy-Who-Lived and not let anyone know of it?” he frowned walking towards Cedric slowly. He kneeled down and smiled eerily again. “No, maybe we can memory charm him and send him back with Harry’s body. It has to be strong though, a charm that Dumbledore won’t dare break lest he breaks his mind,” Voldemort said caressing Cedric’s cheek. “He wouldn’t do it. I would, but not Dumbledore. Who knows, they may even believe you killed Harry and then went mad with grief,” he smirked evilly and pointed his wand at Cedric who was struggling furiously. “OBLIVIATE!” Voldemort roared and a jet of light engulfed Cedric.

Cedric convulsed for a few seconds and then slumped back unconscious. Harry couldn’t believe it. Cedric looked dead. He prayed that he was alive, hoping that no matter what the force of the Obliviation charm it wouldn’t kill.

Voldemort turned back to his Death Eaters, “Thirteen years… and here we are. United under the Dark Mark, or are we?” he asked walking slowly among them. “I smell guilt. I see you are all whole and healthy and I ask myself, ‘Why did not one of you try to find me’?”

“Master,” Lucius Malfoy’s voice came from under one of the masks.

“Spare me your drivel Lucius. I know why. Because you thought me powerless, gone forever. You, who know the steps I took long ago to guard myself against mortal death. If I were unreasonable,” Voldemort said waving his hands slowly, “I could interpret it as betrayal. But see, I am not. And so I welcome you back with open arms.”

Harry shivered at the tone, he definitely did not think it boded well and most Death Eaters must have agreed since they too were trembling.

Voldemort looked pleased and faced them all again, “Now, who do we have here? Who pleaded innocence, bewitchment and forsook me all those years ago and now comes begin for forgiveness? Avery, Crabbe, Goyle, Nott… oh yes Nott, I know all about you and Lucius worming yourselves up the Ministry’s ranks. I hear both of you have our Minister in your pockets. Are known as his advisors. I am quite pleased with this,” he finished in front of a Death Eater that bowed deeply.

“I knew My Lord would be back and would appreciate having such control.”

“Yes, I do. Macnair, you shall satisfy your thirst for blood on better targets than dangerous beasts,” he said as he walked to the empty spaces, “Three dead in my service, others faithful to me and facing Azkaban rather than renouncing me, and one that has left me forever, he will die,” Harry’s eyes widened at the thought of who that one was. “And lastly Igor. My Igor who brought me Harry when I had lost my faithful servant at Hogwarts. Bellatrix didn’t want me to trust you, you know? No, she was quite adamant for me to find another way. But you answered my missive and came to me and delivered what I asked you for. Harry Potter. You see,” he said turning from Karkaroff to the rest of the Death Eaters, “Igor here had a simple job. He had to charm the Triwizard cup and make it a Portkey. Since Dumbledore didn’t trust him he had to do it before they took it to the center of the Maze. He sneaked in at night and made it a Portkey that would only be activated when touched by one particular magical signature; Harry Potter’s. Then he had to make sure Harry got there first, so he put his champion under the Imperius Curse and told him to take the girl and Diggory here out of the race. Something obviously went wrong.”

“Potter helped Diggory when Viktor was torturing him,” Karkaroff said apologetically. “They both took Viktor off the run. But I had foreseen any problem master. The cup would not react to anyone else. It was supposed to take the champion to the Top Box as he or she touched it. So Diggory would have been stumped and Potter could have still touched it.”

“A faulty plan. Dumbledore might have just retrieved Diggory himself. But lucky for you we did get Harry and I won’t punish you…yet,” Voldemort said.

“And lastly, our guest of honor. Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who only lived because his Mudblood mother refused to step aside. She didn’t need to die, did you know that Harry?” Voldemort asked and Harry just glared at him. “No, she died because of you. But you see, that protection she gave you that saved your pitiful life four years ago is worthless since I have it too now. I can touch you.” And he did touch Harry’s cheek and Harry’s scar burned even deeper than it had been all night long.

Voldemort moved back and said, “Now, I shall kill you Harry. I shall prove you are nothing. Untie him!” Voldemort ordered. “Accio Harry’s wand.” He Summoned Harry’s wand from where it had fallen on the ground. Thankfully, Harry’s Auror standard holster was charmed against those kinds of spells and the wand in it could only be summoned by the owner, ensuring that it did not move an inch.

After Malfoy and Nott had unbound Harry and lifted him to his feet forcibly, Voldemort turned to him and was about to hand him back his wand when he stopped dead. He held it closely and examined it carefully, caressing it almost lovingly and Harry wanted to scream at him to knock it off.

“Impossible,” Voldemort breathed. “How did this wand come into your possession Harry?”

Harry shut his mouth in a tight line. He had no idea why Voldemort wanted to know, but Harry sure as hell wouldn’t volunteer information. He stopped himself from Summoning his other wand, knowing Voldemort had wanted to give him back the one he won from Dumbledore and not wanting to give away he had two.

“Maybe you need some memory refreshment,” Voldemort said flicking his wand at Harry and crying “Crucio.

Harry withered in pain. Voldemort’s Cruciatus was ten times worse than Bellatrix. He once again bit his lips not to cry out. He wouldn’t give the bastard the satisfaction. After an eternity the pain stopped and Voldemort asked again, “Where did you get this wand Harry?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” Harry gasped and Voldemort roared:

“Crucio!”

Once again Harry was assaulted with pain beyond measure. As Voldemort released him, he felt feverish and he didn’t know if it was from the pain of the Cruciatus or the burning ache in his leg that was now spreading upwards.

“This isn’t working Harry. We’ll try something new,” Voldemort said gently. “Imperio.”

Harry felt as if all the pain had vanished and he was wiped of all thought… he was peaceful and a voice asked:

“Where did you get this wand Harry? Tell me.”

He was floating dreaming… “just answer ‘no’” he heard someone else say.

“Tell me!”

“Just answer no”

“TELL ME!”

“NO!” Harry cried, and suddenly all the pain he was feeling came crashing back and he gasped. He was still on the ground and Voldemort was towering over him. A soft pop was heard and Voldemort looked up to somewhere behind Harry, completely forgetting his quest. He walked towards the new arrival who kneeled and bowed his head.

“My Lord, you’re back. Forgive my tardiness.”

“Severus,” Voldemort said smoothly and dangerously. Harry slowly turned on his stomach to see what was happening, his blood turning ice cold at the thought of what Voldemort had said about Severus earlier. Everyone only had eyes for Severus and Voldemort. “I thought you wouldn’t join us. That maybe you’re loyalties had shifted.”

“Never my Lord,” Severus said. “I had to shake the old fool before I was able to leave the Anti-Apparitions wards without raising suspicion. I thought my Lord would still want his spy in place.”

Voldemort slowly walked towards Severus. Harry was panting, every bone in him hurt and he was loosing an enormous amount of blood, but none of that mattered to him, he only had eyes for his Uncle and Voldemort.

Voldemort had pocketed his own wand and was caressing Harry’s.

“I’ve been told Severus, to be wary of you. Bellatrix and Igor don’t trust you. They say you are too close to Dumbledore, and that you have changed sides. Crouch even told me that Black was defending you. I have to agree that I should distrust you. Was it not you who I saw saving the boy as I left Quirrell’s pitiful body four years ago?”

“My Lord, I did not know you were with Quirrell. I believed him to be no more than a greedy man that did not deserve the prize he looked for. Had I known it was for you, I would have helped my Lord.”

Harry tried to crawl unnoticed towards his Uncle.

“Would you Severus?” Voldemort said stroking Severus’ cheek and Harry shuddered. Voldemort turned and walked away and Harry inched closer. Turning back towards Severus, Voldemort said:

“Rise Severus,” Severus complied eying Voldemort warily. “Severus, Severus. Do you take me for a fool?”

“Of course not my Lord,” Severus pleaded nervously.

“Do you really think I believe such excuses? That you can fool Lord Voldemort?”

“My Lord I would never-“

“I don’t take treason lightly Severus. Why is it you betrayed me? Was it for the Mudblood? The one whose life you begged me for? The one you handed to me?”

Voldemort raised Harry’s wand and cried, “Avada Kedrava.”

Severus closed his eyes tightly as a beam of green rushed towards him.

 

 

--


Chapter End Notes:
A/N- PadyandMoony asks that I deliver her thanks for reading and reviewing and her thanks to SWaddict1986 for betaing. She is currently undertaking plastic surgery to change her features and identity as she enters a protection program to escape from angry readers. And here everyone was worried about Cedric.