Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N-I was very moved at how much you all care for Uncle Sev. It makes me happy to know that!

A few of you came close to what was going to happen, one actually nailed it, you know who you are. I won’t mention your names in case someone read the reviews and remembers.
For love

Chapter 40- The return of the servant

Severus closed his eyes tightly as a beam of green rushed towards him.

 

 

Chapter 41- For love

Severus closed his eyes tightly when he heard the words and waited for the inevitable, but it never came. Instead he felt a body fall back on him and as he opened his eyes he met his worst fear; Harry’s lifeless body fell into his arms and they both sank to the floor.

Severus didn’t hear the others as they ran towards Voldemort who had fallen backwards when the curse hit Harry. He only had eyes for the still boy clutched in his arms. He rocked back and forth stroking Harry’s hair as tears fell from his eyes.

“No, Harry, please no,” he begged in a strangled voice as he kissed Harry’s forehead.

XXXXXXXX

Harry woke up and realized he was naked. He really didn’t like being naked, especially since he didn’t know where he was. He looked around and he only saw mist. He wished he was clothed, and suddenly robes appeared a short distance away and hurriedly he put them on. He looked around. He tried to remember how he got here and suddenly his eyes got wide. Uncle Sev! The last thing he remembered was throwing himself at Uncle Sev in the hopes of getting him away from the killing curse.

So that was it, he was dead? He heard a cry but couldn’t find the source. The mist was fading and Harry could finally see where he was; the Marauder’s Quarters. There was what looked like a baby wailing in a corner, it oddly resembled Voldemort before his rebirth.

“Don’t mind him. You can’t help him,” came a voice from behind him and Harry turned around. The two people were there beaming at him. One with beautiful red-hair and green eyes, a kind smile, almost the same height as Harry, just slightly taller; his mother. And looking almost like him but with hazel eyes and a goofy smile just a head taller, was his father,  who pulled him into a tight hug.

“I am so proud of you son,” he said. Harry relished the first hug he could remember from his father, hugging tightly back. As they pulled away his mother engulfed him and once again he tried to memorize each feeling as he burrowed his face in the crook of her neck and deeply inhaled her flowery scent.

“You are so brave Harry.”

He smiled looking at both of them, holding both of them. “I’m dead then?” he asked.

Lily and James exchanged looks. “Not yet,” Lily said smoothing Harry’s fringe. “You have a decision to make.”

James guided Harry to the same couch where he had sat with Remus and Sirius hundreds of times, putting Harry between him and Lily. Harry felt guilty; wasn’t this supposed to be heaven? And here he was in heaven, finally with his birth parents, and his thoughts were back on the parents he’d always known. Was he that bad? As if reading his thoughts James said:

“I couldn’t have chosen better parents for you myself,” he smiled kindly and then his smile turned into a roguish smirk. “Oh, wait, I did choose them. Well not Snivellus, but who would have thought the day would come when I would say that I am very glad that he loves you so much?”

“We’re glad you have them Harry,” Lily said. “Don’t feel bad for loving them. It doesn’t take away the love you feel for us. And don’t call Severus that James!” she finished in a scolding tone to her husband.

“Sorry,” James said sheepishly. “Anyway, back to you. Albus, the great old coot, forgot to let you know something. Well he didn’t exactly forget, I think he didn’t want to burden you with the knowledge.”

“The knowledge of what?”

“When Voldemort tried to kill you as a baby and failed,” Lily explained. “His soul was so fractured and unstable that it broke and a piece of it attached itself to the closest living thing around; you.”

“I’m a Horcrux?” Harry asked.

“You were a Horcrux Harry,” James corrected. “When Voldemort’s killing curse hit you it destroyed the Horcrux,” he finished glancing at the baby that was still wailing and Harry understood.

“So I had to die,” he said nodding resigned to his fate. “Now he can be killed.”

“Not exactly,” Lily said smiling. “You see, Voldemort was so keen on having my protection that he unintentionally anchored you to his body. You have a choice to make. You can go back or move forward. It’s your choice and only you can make it. But unlike others you have it.”

“Will Voldemort be anchored to life while I live because of my blood that he took?” Harry asked worried.

“No,” James shook his head proudly. “You are anchored to him, but his blood does not run in you. You have a choice here Harry, not only because of this anchor but also because the killing curse had two souls to choose from. If Voldemort hadn’t used your blood tonight you probably would have died along with the piece of his soul, but because he is anchoring your soul to him, you can still go back and the curse will only kill his piece of soul. The next time old Voldie encounters a killing curse, he won’t have any more Horcruxes and all he will have is his one piece of soul, one very lousy soul, for the curse or whatever other means to kill. It won’t matter that he has your blood in him.”

Harry nodded; he looked at his mom and dad and smiled. He had always wanted to be with them, and here they were. He tightened the grip he had in their hands observing how his father’s hand completely engulfed his while his mother’s smaller hand was in more of an equilibrium with his teenage one. He tried to memorize every detail; he knew that if he chose to go back he wouldn’t see them again, at least not for a long time, especially since Wizards could live up to two hundred years old. He didn’t want to leave but at the same time his heart ached for the people that were still behind. For his dad who was always goofing around, but would not survive loosing a son. For his Uncle Moony who faced a cruel world so bravely and did not deserve to lose one of the few people who saw him and not the wolf. For his Grandpa, who really did not have many people who really loved him. For his friends, who he would miss dearly. For his Uncle Sev, who would lock himself from the world again. Who was still with Voldemort. He had to help him, get him to safety.

“I think you know what you want,” Lily said gently brushing his bangs. “Go back and tell Sev I love him and I forgave him long ago.”

“Forgave what?” Harry asked trying to delay the departure.

“He’ll know, and if some day he tells you, remember to listen with your heart and don’t forget what I told you,” she said.

“And tell Padfoot and Moony that I’m really proud of how they’ve raised you. And that even though I miss those flea bags I don’t want to see them here for a long time,” James grinned at him.

“Can I tell da- Padfoot that you want him to lighten up on my dating privileges?”

“You can tell your dad that he should keep it up. What fun is dating without challenges?” James smiled. “I’m okay with it Harry. He has been your dad all this time and deserves the title. They all do actually. Even Sniv, but I guess calling three people dad can get confusing.”

“I love you two,” Harry said blinking back tears.

“We love you too,” Lily said as she hugged him one last time.

“So much Harry,” James added in a rough voice as he joined the hug. “So much.”

XXX

They Apparated to the outskirts of a cemetery. Remus recognized the outline of a mansion on the hillside. He had seen it before when looking for Marvolo Gaunt’s ring. They were in Little Hangleton. The group of about twenty wizards and witches walked swiftly and quietly towards the assembled Death Eaters they could see using the darkness and the headstones as covers.

They approached as closely as they could without being seen. The Death Eaters seemed far more occupied rushing towards a crumpled figure. Remus tried making out the best way to attack. He couldn’t see Harry and was getting anxious. As they got closer he finally made the outline of Cedric Diggory’s unconscious form tied to a headstone and prayed the boy was still alive. He made a sign to Ted who was a little behind him and motioned towards Cedric. Ted nodded in recognition and pulled Amos Diggory as quietly as he could towards the boy.

The rest of the group continued their approach, waiting for the best moment to act; Remus heard a swish and a thud and looked back suddenly. His eyes widened at the sight of Albus swinging back Gryffindor’s sword. On the ground laid the beheaded form of a gigantic snake, whose head was dangerously close to Sirius.

“Thanks,” Sirius mouthed and Remus squelched the panic that tried to take him as he realized how close that snake had come to biting Sirius. If Albus hadn’t killed it… Well, that was the last Horcrux gone. If someone managed to kill Voldemort he had nothing more holding him here.

Swiftly the group left the snake’s body behind and approached the Death Eater group. Remus saw someone getting up with the aid of some Death Eaters. He froze as he recognized who it was; Voldemort. He saw Voldemort approach a figure Remus had not seen before. Someone who was kneeled on the floor, rocking back and forth, and holding someone else who was unmoving. A horrible coldness came over him. And when he heard Voldemort say it he just couldn’t think. The world had ended and all he knew is that he would bring them all to the hell he had been thrown into with him and he launched forward after Sirius’ cry.

xxx

XXXXXX

Voldemort rose again, “Get away from me,” he hissed at Bellatrix who had been one of the Death Eaters helping him up. He walked towards Severus and smirked.

“So this is why you left me? This boy. The-boy-who-finally-died. Don’t worry Severus, you will be reunited soon.”

Severus held Harry close to his chest and glared at Voldemort.

“I’d rather die than kiss your hypocritical half-blood robes,” he growled.

“Oh, you will. But not without a lesson first,” Voldemort turned towards his Death Eaters and said in a clear loud voice; “I shall make an example of Severus. Show you all what happens to those who defy me. But first let it be known that Harry Potter is dead.”

“NOOOOOOO!” came a cry from the distance and Sirius Black and Remus Lupin launched themselves at the Death Eaters, hurling hexes and curses without second thought. A battle between Order Members and Death Eaters ensued but Severus could only think of Harry. Of Harry’s still body. Of Harry’s blood soaking his robes. Flowing from his body. He buried his head on Harry’s chest and heard it. Could it be? He stilled, and there it was, so soft under the chaos of yells and crashes that he could have missed it. But he did not miss the soft rise and fall of the chest.

Voldemort was drawling, annoyed again, “I’ll have to kill you quickly instead then. So I can deal with them,” he pointed his wand at Severus and cried again, “Avada Kedrava.

“But this time Harry had lifted his hand and flicked his wrist on time and shouted faintly, “Expelliarmus.

The two beams of light collided and once again in Voldemort’s life the killing curse rebounded on him. Except this time, after he was hit by the curse, his body fell backwards, lifeless and not moving. He crumbled to the ground with nothing leaving his body, no piece of soul, no mist that would prowl around unknown places. Lord Voldemort was truly dead and Harry Potter was alive in is Uncle’s arms holding both of his wands weakly.

“Sorry Uncle Sev, but I disarmed him,” he whispered weakly.

“Yes, you did,” Severus said smiling through his tears as he ran a hand through Harry’s hair. He couldn’t believe his eyes. His boy was alive!

Some Death Eaters rushed to Voldemort’s body and a couple Apparated away as soon as they saw Voldemort fall. Bellatrix Lestrange cried in agony as she ran to her Lord and fell over him. Taking advantage of the dazed Death Eaters, the Order Members started gaining ground and apprehending them easily.

Before someone could get to her, Bellatrix launched herself towards Harry and Severus and cried “Sectusempra.”

Another gash cut Harry’s side and blood started pouring out viciously. He looked surprised at Severus and started coughing blood before his eyes rolled back and he fell unconscious. Bellatrix was about to throw another curse when Severus’ wand slashed the air with another cry of Sectusempra and Bellatrix’s throat was sliced opened. She smiled as if enjoying a private joke as she fell forward, on top of Voldemort’s body. Remus ran past her and reached Severus and Harry.

“Here, this Portkey will take you directly to the infirmary. Poppy is waiting,” Remus said urgently, handing Severus a small object that Severus recognized as being one of the many in Albus’ office. “We’ll send Cedric along too,” was the last thing he heard as he felt the familiar pull behind his navel.

XXXXX


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
A/N- So, I guess I may live to see another day. Thank you all for your great reviews. I was incredibly touched by the amount of reviews I got. Last chapter was the most reviewed chapter in this story. Thank you guys. Uncle Sev send his thanks too, he is touched at being so loved.

Thanks to SWaddict1986 for betaing and for great tips (Bella falling on Voldie’s body was her idea)