Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Umbridge

The weekend had been busy with contacting members of other Houses for the first meeting, which Harry and Neville also used as an excuse to spend some quality time with Susan and Hannah. It was decided that the best time to meet would be the next Saturday so everyone would be available. Later at the meeting they could establish a better way to meet. It had made Harry feel better to know that he had found a way to defy Umbridge without getting his father and Uncles involved. He could just picture her shock when, after a year of teaching nothing, a bunch of students did well in their DADA OWLs and NEWTs.

The weekend wasn’t just full of pleasantness though. Ron received a letter from Percy that had him extremely annoyed. Percy basically had praised Umbridge and said Ron should distance himself from Harry. Harry hadn’t said anything against Percy to Ron but had been quite saddened at the fact that someone who had known him closely since he was nine thought he was as Percy put it “unbalanced and dangerous”. Harry’s spirit did rise though at Ron’s reaction to the letter; burning it after tearing it to pieces.

The twins and Ginny were informed of the letter and had not liked it one bit. Harry hadn’t known before, but Ron told him that Percy leaving had affected his parents a lot. None of the Weasley children were happy about Percy telling his father that it was his fault they were poor and that he was fighting against Mr. Weasley’s bad name after Mr. Weasley told him that he had only been promoted because Fudge knew the Weasleys were close to Dumbledore. At the time of the fight, all of the Weasley children were there and apparently Charlie and Bill had not let Percy finish his tirade. They told him to take a walk and think very deeply on what was more important to him, his career or his family. Percy took said walk, came back and packed his things saying he’d make it clear he didn’t want anything to do with a family that was loyal to Dumbledore and not the Ministry. Harry had the feeling Percy would regret this decision deeply but even if his parents took him back, Harry had no doubt about Mrs. Weasley’s capacity to forgive her brood, but his brothers and sister would not be that easy to win back.

But Percy’s letter did alert them about something important that would happen and Harry found out from the Daily Prophet on Monday morning that Dolores Umbridge had been named High Inquisitor of Hogwarts, giving her power to inspect and then dismiss Hogwarts’ teachers. Harry looked up at the High Table and saw the somber looks on his dad and Uncles’ faces.  And true to their fears the very first inspected class was History of Magic with the fifth year Gryffindors.

Umbridge entered the class with her fake little smile and her annoying cough and sat down at one of the desks. Sirius did his best to ignore her and continue his lecture but he was soon interrupted by said fake cough.

“Yes Professor?” Sirius forced a smile.

“How long have you been teaching History Professor Black?”

“Twelve years.”

“And why where you hired?”

“Excuse me?”

Umbridge smiled sweetly and asked, “What were your qualifications for the job? You were previously an Auror not a scholar.”

Sirius bristled, she was right. Dumbledore gave him the job as a means to keep Harry at Hogwarts and according to Dumbledore anyone would be better than the Ghost Binns who still haunted the castle except now he mainly bored the other ghosts not the students. Sirius had only one classification and he had no choice but to say it.

“The Black family traditionally did not rely on the teaching of History from Hogwarts. Therefore it was part of my proper pureblood education to be drilled in History long before I entered Hogwarts. If you check the OWLs and NEWTS from the time I was in school and from the time Professor Binns taught you’ll find that all Blacks scored Outstanding whereas the average for History was Acceptable, and even that was because of the students’ own effort and not the teacher. I had Outstandings in History both on my OWLs and NEWTs and Professor Dumbledore felt that that qualified me more than Professor Binns for the job. Since I first received this offer I have furthered my studies and obtained my mastery in History.”

“But not when you were admitted for the job though. Back then your qualifications were the Black Family,” she said with a derisive sort of smile.

Sirius jaw clenched but he couldn’t lie. It was a matter of public record after all, “Yes.”

Umbridge scribbled on the pink clipboard that she had brought, which made Sirius want to gag, and turned to Lavander Brown, “Do you feel Professor Black is under-qualified to teach?”

Sirius gaped at her shocked. No one had ever complained about his teaching. He had raised the students OWLs and NEWTs to an average of Exceeds Expectations since he first started teaching and he was voted every year in the unofficial, very secret, student poll that every teacher got their hands on, as the favorite teacher every year. Except two years ago when he tied with Moony. He never forgave him for that. As a tutor Moony didn’t qualify anymore for the poll.

“No,” Lavander answered. “Professor Black is my favorite teacher I love to come here and look- I mean- hear him teach us. I mean how he lectures- er- he is really ho- I mean nice.”

“I see,” Umbridge said and scribbled muttering, “Inappropriate teacher-student behavior.”

Sirius wanted to groan; couldn’t she have asked one of the boys or at least Hermione or Parvati who are less girly than Lavander? Sirius had never been inappropriate with a student but he couldn’t stop them from having crushes on him.

Then she turned to Terry Boot and asked, “And do you feel Professor Black favors his son?”

“No,” Terry said a little too quickly. “Harry has good grades but that must be because Professor Black gives him extra attention – no that’s not what I mean he teaches him outside of class too, I mean he gives us plenty attention too. Er-”

She muttered “nepotism” as she scribbled once again and Sirius had to bite the inside of his cheeks to stop from yelling at her. Unfortunately, Harry was not that restrained.

“He would never favor me!” Harry cried. “He just made sure I knew this before and is actually stricter with my essays than with the others. You just have to compare them! I am not  even close to being top of the class with this many Ravenclaws and Hermione.”

“I think another detention is in order for speaking out of turn don’t you agree Mr. Potter…Black? But since you are so interested in giving your opinion are you implying Professor Black made sure you are acquainted with the Black Family’s tradition?”

“Professor Black taught me how to be a proper wizard despite what the Blacks thought made a proper wizard,” Harry answered through clenched teeth after glancing at Sirius who had clearly made a sign for Harry to leave it be.

Umbridge turned to Sirius with her little smile and said, “I’ll just sit back and enjoy your lecture, Professor.”

You had to grant it to Sirius though, he continued his class as if the irritating woman was not there scribbling like mad. There was nothing like years of conditioning with his dear mother to make him able to pretend annoyances weren’t there.

Xxx

“So she inspected both of you coincidently when you had Harry in your classes?” Remus asked from the couch. “Big surprise there.”

Severus snorted as he paced the Marauders’ Quarters, “She asked why Dumbledore had denied me the DADA position and when I said it was because of the curse the Dark Lord put on the job she lectured me in front of the students about spreading lies and bringing up inappropriate topic in front of the students. Asked if I was trying to recruit them to the Dark. Can you believe the nerve? Then she actually had the gall to criticize my safety measures. Like I ever had any serious accident in my class in these fourteen years of work. Never, never has a student had to spend more than a couple of hours in the infirmary with minor injuries and even so my average is a lot lower than bumbling Slughorn’s was!” he finished working himself up into a tirade.

“Did she accuse you of favoring Harry?” Sirius asked and Severus smiled satisfied.

“Yes, and that blew up nicely in her face when Parvati Patil said I actually had always been unfair with Harry and favored Draco Malfoy and the other Slytherins. I was very tempted to give her points. Umbridge had this expression on her face where it looked like she’d explode since she actually had to hear in front of witnesses that her little protégé was the favored one, and when Thomas asked if she wasn’t going to write it down I could sing. Poor kid, lost points for that. I gave them back for a properly cleaned spoon.”

Sirius and Remus snorted, Severus never gave away points freely like that. The students must have been in shock.

“At least Harry kept quiet in your class,” Sirius said grimly. “He earned another detention with her during my inspection.”

“He learned,” Severus agreed. “But I know that look he had. He was restraining himself by a thread. Especially went she went on criticizing my choice of curriculum. Saying that there was no need for students to learn such dangerous potions. Tell me, how will they learn to recognize a poison or a dangerous potion if they never see them?”

“Do you really think logic will work with Umbridge Severus?” Remus snorted.

“I told Harry to keep his head down in front of her after my class,” Sirius said. “I understand him. At his age I wouldn’t have kept quiet. Heck, I have trouble now. But there are just some battles you have to let go as to not lose the war.”

Xxx

Sirius approached the Quidditch pitch followed by a very confused group of Gryffindors. He had called students from all years and asked them to follow him. As they got closer to the Gryffindor Quidditch team all geared up and listening to Angelina’s orders, Sirius cleared his throat.

“Professor Black,” Angelina said smiling and then her smile turned into a scowl. “Harry isn’t here. He is in detention!”

“I know,” Sirius said. “Ms. Captain, I am here to offer my help to our esteemed team.” He bowed over-dramatically.

“Your help?” Fred asked confused.

“Yes, young Frederick, as you know it is my dream to see that shiny Quidditch cup in my office,” Sirius said with a faraway dreamy look.

“Sir, the cup goes in the Head of House’s office,” Hermione tried to explain but Sirius glared at her and she quickly shut up.

“As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, to achieve my goal I need the perfect team,” and he walked in front of the team. “And we have one,” he beamed proudly. “Three great Chasers that have an exquisite ballet in the air,” Angelina, Katie and Alicia blushed at the praise. “Two thumping good Beaters who are the terror of every other team in this school.” Fred and George beat their bats together. “A, right at this moment missing, incredible Seeker who has never failed to catch the Snitch as long as no Dementors are near and,” Sirius stopped beaming proudly in front of Ron, “A Keeper who I’ve seen play myself since he was yay high and who has never let the Quaffle pass. Not even when I, an experience adult and former Gryffindor full time Beater and reserve Chaser, played against him.” After the incident in fifth year James tried having reserves for every position but only found decent Beaters and Seekers, so he tested them in other positions to see how they could move around. Maybe if Oliver had done the same Ron would have been more prepared to face the public now.

Ron’s ears went red when all the assembled students started clapping vigorously and whistling.

Sirius’ beam diminished as he continued, “Though, I’ve been told that our perfect Keeper has had some problems adapting to the public. But never fret, that is a perfectly acceptable issue that the most famous Quidditch players have had to face. So, I decided to use a method that worked on another public phobic that played several years ago. If you want to spread the word and not reveal the source, it was Professor Lupin,” he finished with a significant look towards the Gryffindors.

“No way! Professor Lupin  played Quidditch?” little Denis Creevey exclaimed.

“Only for a couple of games but he sure helped us win. Now, young Ronald,” Sirius said putting an arm around Ron, “what we will do with our beautiful captain’s consent, is in every practice from now on these volunteers, who want to see that cup in my office as much as I do, will stay in the bleachers and act as the opposing teams’ audience. They will be ruthless with you but you cannot let what they say interfere with your game. Understood?”

Ron looked a little on the pale side but nodded.

“Good,” Sirius said clapping his hand. “We even have props,” he said motioning to bags that Neville and Dean were carrying.

The team looked warily at the props as the Gryffindors headed to the bleachers. Once they were in the air they saw that mostly everyone was wearing a green and silver scarf or banner and a few had blue and bronze or yellow and black. The practice started and so did the insults. Sirius was quite impressed with the creativity of his little lions. As predicted Ron was letting the insults get to him but Sirius never thought he’d get better from only one session.

Xxx

The week went on quickly for some and extremely slowly for others. Umbridge, as Harry had expected, decided during his first detention that he should come for the rest of the week. And the hours of slicing his hands dragged away. He had started to apply some murtlap essence after the detentions to soothe the cuts, nothing like knowing your potions.

Ron had yet another two practices with “Padfoot’s special crash course” and though he was still a tad self-conscious he was doing much better at ignoring the crowd. Sirius was positive he would be ready for the first match against Slytherin and could often be seen daydreaming about the cup.

Neville had been able to spend some of his free time with Hannah and used the opportunity to send Harry’s apologies to Susan, since thanks to his detentions his time with Susan had been cut short.

Hermione apparently did not notice or was not bothered by the boys’ absence since she was immersed in some project in the library. As Saturday afternoon approached the boys found out what had her so occupied.

Harry couldn’t believe the turnout that they had in the Room of Requirement, and even those in the younger years came. The room had been spacious with cushions instead of chairs and all sorts of aids for the training of Defense. Susan, Hannah, Cedric, Ernie Macmillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Zacharias Smith, a couple of seventh years who were friends with Cedric and three sixth years from Hufflepuff. Ginny’s friend Luna Lovegood, who Ginny introduced around and even though Harry had the impression she was a little airy she also reminded him of his dad in a way. She didn’t seem to care what people thought of her just like Sirius didn’t care if people thought he was immature, or as Remus called him, a thirty-five-year-old teenager. Padma Patil, Cho Chang, Terry Boot ,Michael Corner, Anthony Goldstein and Roger Davies from Ravenclaw. All the Weasleys, Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan, Alicia Spinet, Katie Bell, Colin and Dennis Creevey, Dean Thomas, Parvati Patil, Lavander Brown, for all she said she didn’t believe Harry from Gryffindor and being eyed with a little suspicion from the others Blaise Zabini, Daphne and Astoria  Greengrass,  Tracey Davies, Graham Pritchard, Malcom Braddock and Adrian Pucey from Slytherin. Harry thought this could not go on so he addressed that little problem first.

“Thank you all for coming. You are all here today because we trust you,” murmurs could be heard as Harry had said that looking straight at the Slytherins. “Trust is very important in our endeavor today because, although what we are doing here is in complete compliance with Hogwarts rules we all have been able to see lately how the rules can change quickly. So, we decided to keep this group secret in order not to have it banned sometime in the future.”

“What are we doing?” the dirty blond with Cho Chang asked.

“We are studying,” Harry answered simply. “Cedric Diggory over there and Hermione Granger here pointed out once that the testing board for our OWLs and NEWTs do not answer to the Ministry and will not lower their standards to match the Minister’s. So, if we want to do well on our exams we are left alone. Before when the DADA teacher was incompetent,” at this Ron started coughing something that sounded like “Lockhart,” “we still had the option of going to Professor Lupin for help. Now the Ministry has taken that option away from us. So, basically this is a study group where we teach ourselves what we’ll need.”

“And what makes you think you can teach us?” Zacharias Smith asked with a sneer.

“Everyone in this school knows that Professors Black and Lupin have taught Harry more than we learn in class. Or did you keep your eyes closed during the third task?” Ron asked irritably.

“What everyone doesn’t know,” Harry said trying to dissipate the bad tempers, “Is that Professor Snape taught me too.” Harry could see the appreciative looks on the Slytherins faces and even on some of the other students’ too. “I don’t proclaim to know everything but as Hermione pointed out to me the Ministry can control what the teachers teach the students but not what a parent teaches his son. If we encounter something I don’t know I can ask my father to teach me in his spare time. Without telling him why I want to know so he can have plausible deniability,” Hermione had added that little tidbit later.

“How very Slytherin of you,” Blaise said.

“According to the hat I was suited for all the Houses. It went by exclusion, and apparently I’m too reckless for Slytherin,” Harry said simply and loved the shocked looks that went around.

“As Harry said,” Hermione brought them back to the topic. “We are a study group. I thought Harry would be the best to teach us Defense but he does not need to be the only one. I have here,” she shuffled some parchment. “A list of the hexes and curses tested in the OWLs and NEWTs in the past twenty years. If there is some hex here that one of you knows better than Harry then you will be the teacher the day we do it. We are here to help each other. As Harry also said we will do better to keep this secret, so I have charmed this parchment in a way that will prevent anyone from telling anyone about this group without us knowing. Don’t worry,” she said looking at the suspicious faces. “It’s nothing life threatening but it can be unpleasant. Everyone that wants in has to be committed and loyal and has to sign this. If you don’t want this I am really sorry but I will have to Obliviate you of the memory of this meeting.”

“Is that really necessary?” Cedric asked warily.

Hermione smiled sympathetically, “I’m sorry Cedric. But the Ministry has gone bonkers. If we were only doing this behind a teacher’s back I wouldn’t do this but with the way things are escalating rapidly, the consequences can be dire. Don’t worry though. I know what I’m doing and I will only erase the knowledge of this meeting.”

Cedric nodded a little resented.

“So whoever wants in come up front and sign this parchment. We’ll continue after this is all signed,” Hermione said.

Blaise Zabini was the first to take the quill and sign the parchment nodding towards Harry. After him, the other students the parchment one by one. Zacharias Smith and Cho’s friend were the last ones standing who hadn’t signed and they were quite reluctant to do so. Ernie said something to Zacharias, which Harry heard only as “OWLS,” “important” and “future” and Zacharias finally signed the parchment. Cho’s friend on the other hand shook her head.

“My mother works at the Ministry. What if she loses her job because of this?”

“Then you appreciate why we have to Obliviate you,” Neville said gently. She nodded her head and Hermione escorted her out saying:

“Start deciding meeting days and I’ll be back after I take her to Ravenclaw tower.”

As Hermione left, they all sat in a big circle and started figuring out how to schedule their first meeting without clashing with Quidditch matches and Prefect duties. Ginny suggested they should have a name, and Graham Pritchard suggested The Defense Association and D.A. for short and Harry laughed. When asked why, he said:

“That could stand for Dumbledore’s Army. It would be ironic since that’s why the Minister doesn’t wants us trained in battle.”

“Battle?” Michael Corner asked.

“He thinks Dumbledore is training us to overthrow the Ministry,” Harry answered.

Ginny took the Parchment they had all signed and wrote on the top, “Then Dumbledore’s Army it is.”

“We should also decide the order we learn these,” Cedric said as he examined the list of tested hexes and curses. After some chaotic shouting, Ron whistled and copied the list on a blackboard that had appeared.

“Let’s vote on the order. Knowing Hermione she already wrote them in the order she thinks best so we just have to vote if we agree or not with hers first and then we vote where the remaining ones should go.”

When Hermione came back they were still voting. After a very long discussion of why this first why this second, Hermione handed around fake Galleons that they would use to tell people meeting times. As they all left Harry couldn’t help the satisfied feeling he had.

In another part of the Castle though someone was about to have their very pleasant afternoon turn into an unpleasant evening. Tonks had come to visit her boyfriend, how she loved to call him that, and they had spent a very enjoyable afternoon together in the Marauders’ Quarters. That is, after throwing Sirius out because he kept making cooing noises and giving them dreamy looks.

Remus had been quite happy with the visit. He had been growing incredibly irritable for the last two weeks from ignoring the bond with Harry. He had again asked Harry if everything was fine and Harry had once again told him that Umbridge had him doing lines. But every night from the second Harry entered that office to the second Harry left Remus felt the cold shiver that signified the bond. It never developed to the pain of when Harry was in serious danger but it still had him on edge. But Tonks’ visit made the edge go away and he forgot all about annoying toad-like witches.

As the time approached that young Nymphadora had to leave, Remus, the gentleman he is, decided to escort her to the Apparition point outside the wards. As they left the safety of their quarters hand in hand talking and giggling softly they heard the sound Remus had learned to dread coming from behind them.

“Hem- hem.”

“Yes Professor,” he said in a strained smile turning around.

“I don’t think this is appropriate behavior,” Umbridge said sweetly.

“Excuse me?” Tonks asked gaping at Umbridge.

“And you Ms. Tonks have no business being here.”

“She came to see me,” Remus answered shortly.

“She is not faculty.”

“She is my girlfriend.”

“And that’s not faculty. Students shouldn’t be subjected to your flings Professor.”

“Professor Vector’s husband lives here,” Tonks said flatly.

“Exactly, her husband. You two on the other hand are not married and therefore shall leave your romantic rendezvous to your spare time outside of school grounds,” Umbridge said smiling. “Now, I think it would be more appropriate if I accompany Ms. Tonks to the Apparition point, don’t you Professor?”

Remus grip on Tonks’ hand tightened and he clenched his teeth.

“Is this going to be a problem?” Umbridge asked innocently.

“No,” Tonks answered quickly letting go of Remus’ grip. “Let’s go Professor Umbridge,” she said politely and as they walked away from a stunned Remus, Tonks turned back and mouthed that she would firecall him.

Remus turned around and stalked back to his quarters. He kicked the portrait open and made Sirius, who had just come back in, jump.

“What?”

Remus went straight to an ugly vase they had that Albus had given them as a welcoming gift when Sirius first moved in and smashed it to pieces. He then proceeded to jump on it to make sure no Reparo could fix it. Once he was done Sirius patiently asked:

“What happened?”

“Umbridge!” Remus snapped and Sirius sighed. He wondered when she’d start on Remus too.

 

---

A/N- I loved all my reviews. Thanks!

Thanks SWaddict1986 for betaying.