Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Boiling point

Each passing day Harry hated Umbridge more. He had heard about Remus not being able to see Tonks until his night off. He had also learned from Blaise Zabini that, buoyed by Umbridge inspecting Severus and her protest against his probation to Dumbledore and Severus, Malfoy had started bullying the Slytherins into disrespecting their Head of House and the little progress Severus had made when he and Dumbledore put Malfoy on probation was undone.

As Hermione had said they were divided. Slytherins were cunning and did what was best for them and right now they had no idea what that was. Severus was being attacked by the Ministry and could lose his job and Malfoy Sr. was a fugitive of the law until either the Ministry decided he was guilty and captured him or they decided he was innocent and then he was back with full power. Things could sway any way and they had no idea who to chose. Right now, they were doing their best to keep neutral. Except Theodore Nott who, according to Blaise, didn’t want to follow his father’s footsteps but he was afraid of what could happen to him if his father walked and learned that he had not followed his orders. Nott Sr. had ordered his son to undermine Severus and Harry the best he could. So, Theodore’s way of avoiding that was skipping class so he wouldn’t have to interact with Severus. But that made it worse since Severus had sent him several summons to see him in his office to which Nott hadn’t responded.

Harry didn’t want to tell his Uncle what he learned through the D.A. members and break their confidence. He thought that the D.A. was very fragile and could not afford not to be able to trust their members. But he didn’t want Nott to feel like he didn’t have an option, so Harry told Blaise to schedule a meeting between Harry and Nott and he approached his Uncle in his office one afternoon.

“Hi Uncle Sev,” he said innocently.

Severus, well acquainted with Harry’s innocent smiles, raised an eyebrow. Harry slowly sat down and decided not to dawdle.

“So,” he started. “Let’s say there is a student who is missing classes. If he hands in his homework through someone and keeps up with his work, could the teacher, let’s say, overlook the fact that he doesn’t attend class?”

“What do you know Harry?” Severus asked suspiciously.

“I can’t tell you,” Harry said. “Or I’d be breaking someone’s confidence. But if someone really couldn’t go to classes, could he do that?”

Severus sighed and rubbed his temple, “Harry, I need to know what you are up to.”

“I am just trying to help someone.”

“Why don’t you leave that problem for the teacher to solve?”

“What if the teacher is part of the problem?” Harry asked hoping his Uncle would just say yes. “He wouldn’t be able to solve it, and maybe, if he was a little flexible he could help someone who wants to be helped.”

“Yes Harry, but this is a problem that an adult should be handling,” Severus said slowly.

“I’m fifteen. I’m not stupid and am not walking into a Death Eater’s trap if that is what you think,” Harry said offended. “You, dad and Uncle Moony taught me well and I am not doing anything dangerous. I am just trying to help a schoolmate. Can’t you just trust me on this one? If you leave someone without options they may have to take the only one they have and that may not be good for them. I am trying to give this person an option. That’s all.”

Severus looked at him and sighed again.

“Fine, if Nott hands in acceptable work I’ll stop summoning him. But Harry, don’t forget for a second who his father is. Don’t be alone with him.”

Harry sighed and nodded, “I won’t.” What could Nott possibly do at the school? He wouldn’t dare attack Harry. But trust his Uncle to think Harry couldn’t take care of himself.

xxx

The D.A. was meeting as much as the members could make time for it, which considering that they had to balance everyone’s schedule was about once or twice a week. At the first meeting they had after Harry’s talk with Severus, Blaise told Harry Nott’s answer.

Nott and Harry met in an unused classroom with Blaise as mediator and Harry offered to tutor Nott if he needed help.

“And what do you know about potions?” Nott sneered.

Harry rolled his eyes and answered, “I’ve been learning about them since I was little. I am way ahead of our curriculum. I down played it in class until now because of Professor Snape’s position. I’m not saying I’m a genius, far from it; I just had a head start on everyone. Perks of having an Uncle who is a Potions Master.”

“I can study by myself,” Nott said.

“Suit yourself,” Harry shrugged, actually that suited Harry better since he was already swamped. “If you need help you know where to find me. Give your homework to Blaise and he’ll give it to me. I’ll hand it to my Uncle outside of class so no one will notice that he is receiving more essays than the number of students in class.”

“Why are you doing this?” Nott asked suspiciously.

“Everyone should be given options. I don’t think my Uncle had any when he was younger. He was surrounded by Death Eater friends and caved to the pressure. Maybe if he had someone to help him he wouldn’t have made that mistake. I’m giving you an option, what you do with it is up to you.”

Nott looked puzzled but nodded and left the room with Blaise. Harry had been honest. He felt like Severus hadn’t had an option, but he never understood why his mother hadn’t helped him. Wasn’t she his best friend? And wasn’t she fighting against Voldemort? But for all his Gryffindor bravery Harry didn’t have the guts to approach that subject with Severus. From what he heard from whispered conversations, Harry had gathered that something had happened between Severus and Lily and that at the time of his parents’ death they were not speaking to each other.

Harry was willing to help Nott out, but as he told Severus he wasn’t about to trust the Slytherin blindly. Nott had never been one of the Slytherins who caused trouble. He had mostly kept to himself. But he was still a Death Eater’s son. So, Harry would not call him to the D.A. until he was sure Nott could be trusted. The D.A. meetings were rapidly becoming Harry’s favorite times. Just the thought that he was doing something that went against what Umbridge preached helped him through the days of looking at her. And he was seeing more and more of her lately.

She seemed to be scheduling her inspections according to the fifth year Gryffindor’s schedule and according to Ron she had inspected Trelawney’s class and had turned the Divination teacher into a puddle of nerves. It was a mark of how much Harry hated Umbridge that he actually sympathized with the loathed Divination teacher.

She has also inspected McGonagall’s class but hadn’t managed to cow the Transfiguration teacher; as a matter of fact McGonagall put Umbridge in her place quite effectively. Harry didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad one. Umbridge did not seem happy when she left the class.

She had also attended Hagrid’s class on Thestrals and had made him look as if he was not suited for the job. Harry personally had thought that by Hagrid’s standards it had been a very good class. Of course, Harry had already known about Thestrals since Hagrid had told him when he was younger and had asked how the carriages pulled themselves. He had been a little shocked when he first saw them on the way to the castle but he knew that was because of Voldemort and had decided to keep quiet then so no one would bring the subject up. Unfortunately Hagrid had asked who could see them and Harry, knowing everyone would know he could, raised his hand and Umbridge just had to remind everyone:

“Oh, yes Mr. Potter. You saw Professor Snape kill Bellatrix Lestrange.”

Harry couldn’t help it. He knew he should have bit his tongue but she asked for it.

“No, I was unconscious when Professor Snape saved me. I saw Voldemort die from his rebounded killing curse.”

Umbridge had bristled at that comment and had promptly said in her sweet threatening voice, “I think we still have to teach you not to lie don’t you Mr. Potter? Apparently our detentions haven’t been enough. I expect you back at my office for another week. You know the time.”

And thus, Harry had gone back for another five nights of detention.

That was how the two next months of school passed. Even though after Hagrid’s class Harry did his best not to rise to the bait, Umbridge found other reasons to give Harry detention. He didn’t raise his hand when she asked a question to the class, no matter that he wasn’t the only one. He was walking too fast in the corridor, which could be constituted as running. And so on. Harry was spending at least two to three nights a week in Umbridge’s office. Considering he also had Quidditch practice and DA his homework was suffering greatly. Something that had not gone unnoticed by his father and Uncle.

“Mr. Potter Black, please stay behind,” Sirius said with a grim expression.

Harry shrugged to his friends and walked to the teacher’s desk. As the last student left Sirius waved his wand closing the door and putting up a Silencing Charm. He took a roll of parchment from a stack and asked:

“Could you please enlighten me as to what this is?”

“Er-“ Harry shuffled his feet nervously as he recognized the parchment. “The essay about the war with Grindelwald you asked for.”

“Yes, this is a copy of Ms. Granger’s essay,” Sirius said annoyed. “Not even a good one. I had a lot of trouble deciphering this chicken scratch that you call handwriting as of late.”

Harry winced. With so many detentions his right hand was constantly aching making it hard to write.

“Do we have to go back to calligraphy lessons Harry? And why would you start copying homework now? You never did before and you know we would catch on to you. Severus told me your Potions essays have been sloppy, look rushed, and that you have not expanded on explanations he knows you know. At least with him you haven’t been copying.”

Harry winced again at the hurt tone in his father voice. He didn’t want to seem like he didn’t care about what he handed his father or Uncle. Or that he valued Potions more than History. It’s just that he knew more Potions because Sirius, Remus and Severus had taught him more Defense and Potions outside of class than History.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

“I don’t want an apology Harry. I want an explanation,” Sirius said sternly.

“I didn’t have time,” Harry said avoiding Sirius’ gaze. “And I rushed through all my homework. I didn’t have time to do the research and Hermione’s essay was just sitting there. I thought I’d just look at it as research but I ended up copying almost everything.”

Sirius sighed heavily and rubbed his forehead, “Is this about your detentions? I know you have a lot with Umbridge on your case. But this is getting out of hand Harry! I’m going to have to talk to her-“

“NO!” Harry cut him off desperately. “Don’t you see dad? That’s what she wants! She wants you to interfere so she can say you are favoring me and have an excuse to sack you!”

“But she only puts you in detention Harry! She is blatantly persecuting you. There are rules to follow. Half her excuses make no sense whatsoever!” Sirius cried slamming his hand on the desk.

“She hasn’t been able to find a plausible reason to put you, Uncle Moony or Uncle Sev on probation like she did with Hagrid and Trewlaney. So she is trying to force one dad! Don’t play into her game. I can handle her,” Harry begged.

Sirius sighed and looked hard at Harry who was biting his lips worried that Sirius’ overprotection would speak louder.

“Moony has been on edge every time you are with her. You promise that all she is doing is having you write lines?”

Harry nodded. There was nothing he wanted more than to be able to tell his dad but he had vowed to handle this himself and he would. So he just ignored that little voice that sounded an awful lot like Uncle Moony saying he was making a stupid, stupid mistake.

“Fine,” Sirius said against his will. “But I cannot in good conscience let your work and future be harmed. This is your OWL year Harry! Your studies are important. If you don’t want me to confront her we’ll have to make time some other way.”

Harry’s eyes widened at the implication and Sirius continued. “If by the end of this term your work is still suffering you’ll have to quit the Quidditch team.”

“Dad, no-“ Harry exclaimed gaping at Sirius.

“Harry, I’m sorry son,” Sirius said with a pained expression, “But I just can’t let you go on like this. I’ll give you until December. This way if you haven’t been able to pick up the slack you still have time before your OWLs.”

“But dad, I promise I’ll try harder,” Harry begged desperately and Sirius laughed bitterly:

“I know you already try hard Harry. The day only has twenty-four hours. How could you manage? Cutting back sleep? I can’t let that happen either. And don’t think of doing it, I’ll know.”

Harry gripped his hair desperately. He knew he had no choice. He wasn’t about to bail out of the  D.A. and there was no way he was going to let the toad win by having his father lose his job so he accepted and hoped he would not get more detentions. He knew his hope was in vain. He nodded despondently and Sirius got up and embraced him.

“I’m sorry son,” he whispered pressing his face in Harry’s hair.

 

Xxx

The first game of the season was approaching fast with the beginning of November. Gryffindor was confident with their team. After two months of “Padfoot’s crash course” Ron was acting his best no matter what the others said. The Slytherin- Gryffindor rivalry was at its peak but the Slytherins were getting very nasty surprises. When before Severus would turn a blind eye and a deaf year to the Slytherin’s attempts to hex the Gryffindor players, this year at the first attempt by Captain Montague and the beater Warrington he again took points from his own House in public, having given up the privacy act after enduring his House rebelliousness in the last few months. He had decided that they needed to be publicly scolded or they would not respect him and in the privacy of the full Slytherin Common Room he made it clear to the whole team that the next person to try to hex a Gryffindor player would be out of the team before they could say “Quidditch.”

“I thought I had made myself clear two years ago when Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Crabbe, Mr. Goyle and Mr. Montague tried a low trick to undermine the Gryffindor team,” he hissed slowly pacing dangerously in front of the team. “I want everyone to know that Slytherin won the Cup because we are the best not because we cheat the best. What part of cleaning the Slytherin name did you not understand?” he asked as he stopped facing them. None of the players answered as they were all scowling deeply.

“I have booked the Quidditch field for your practices almost every day and I expect that that practice is what’s going to make you win. And I expect not only a victory but a clean victory so no one can doubt us. Do I make myself clear?” he asked raising his voice for the first time and all the players except for Malfoy, who was scowling furiously, nodded vigorously. Severus turned to Malfoy, “If you intend to keep playing on this team Mr. Malfoy you better start agreeing with your fellow teammates,” and with that Severus swept from the Slytherin Common room to leave behind seven embarrassed players and a House full of hushed conversation.

The name calling kept going on until it was time for the match but no more hexes were involved. It wasn’t the cleanest game Harry had ever played but he had to admit the Slytherins were making a lot less fouls than he expected. With the obvious exception: Draco Malfoy. Malfoy had tried every dirty little trick he knew. The Slytherin stands were singing a very rude song about Ron

“Weasley cannot save a thing, He cannot block a single ring, That’s why Slytherins all sing: Weasley is our King.

Weasley was born in a bin, He always lets the Quaffle in, and Weasley will make sure we win, Weasley is our King”

Harry was very happy to see that Ron was not letting the song affect his playing. As a matter of fact he seemed to be using it to fuel his game.  Slytherin hadn’t managed to get one single shot through his hoops and Gryffindor was ahead when Harry caught the Snitch a few feet from the ground. He raised his hand to show the snitch and heard Madam Hooch’s whistle signaling the end of the game. As he was watching his team approach he was suddenly hit squarely in the small of his back by a Bludger and he flew forwards off his broom. Luckily he was not too far from the ground. Angelina, who was the closest, came to him and asked:

“Are you all right?”

Harry got up nodding. He was a little winded and sore but he was generally all right.

“It was Malfoy,” Alicia said joining them and sure enough Harry saw Malfoy’s smug face as he handed Crabbe back his bat and landed close by with his sneer on his face.

“Can’t take a little Bludger Potter? Need the women to care for you, little baby?”

“And apparently you can’t take defeat like a man. You need to send a Bludger after the whistle,” Harry hissed and turned his back on Malfoy to join the rest of his team that was landing next to him except for Ron, who was a little farther away being congratulated by Hermione and Neville. Malfoy apparently did not like that because he insisted:

“Did you like my lyrics Potter? We wanted to write another couple of verses!' Malfoy called, as Katie and Alicia hugged Harry. “But we couldn’t find rhymes for fat and ugly - we wanted to sing about his mother, see -“

“Talk about sour grapes,” Angelina said casting a disgusting look at Malfoy. “Why don’t you go lick your wounds somewhere else? Or better, why don’t you go hide? Professor Snape is coming this way and he doesn’t look happy. I heard he doesn’t approve of cheating, like, let’s say, attacking the other team’s Seeker after the game.”

Malfoy glanced back and sure enough both the Gryffindor and Slytherin  Head of Houses were making their way over to the little group. Malfoy sneered and decided to give them one last thought:

“We couldn’t fit in useless loser either - for his father, you know -“

By this comment Fred and George had realized who Malfoy was badmouthing and had both flanked Harry who had turned back to face Malfoy fuming.

 “Leave it!” said Angelina at once, taking Fred by the arm. “Leave it, Fred, let him yell, he’s just sore he lost, the jumped-up little –“

 “But you like the Weasleys, don’t you, Potter?” said Malfoy, sneering. “Spend time there and everything, don’t you? Can’t see how you stand the stink, but I suppose they remind you of how your mother’s house stank, the Weasley pigsty –“

That was too much and though Angelina and Alicia were holding Fred back, George and Harry were too much for Katie and they launched themselves at Malfoy. Harry had the fulfilling joy of landing the first punch with his left fist, which was still enclosed around the Snitch. All they could hear were the girls’ yells of:

“Harry! George! No!”

Harry paid no mind and completely forgot his surroundings. All he wanted was to cause Malfoy as much pain as he could and apparently George was right there with him. The fight did not last long and Malfoy was rescued after a couple of punches when George and Harry were flung off him to the opposite side. As he landed on the ground Harry could see Severus’ and McGonagall’s livid faces as Severus put away his wand. In a dangerous low voice Severus hissed:

“Mr. Weasley and Mr. Potter Black follow your Head of House. Mr. Malfoy, follow me to the Hospital Wing and then to my office.”

Harry and George turned on their heels and marched behind McGonagall. From the corner of his eyes he saw Sirius and Remus following them and Harry was too furious to even acknowledge the stern looks the two adults had. They reached McGonagall’s office in what seemed like seconds and she furiously waved her wand opening the door and striding in. They followed but did not lose their righteous scowls nor did the appropriate “I am very ashamed and regret what I did” pose. Harry was ready to defend his actions.

“I am ashamed that two of my Gryffindors would result to Muggle brawling like that. Explain yourselves!”

“He provoked us,” Harry said stiffly.

“And that gives you the right to start throwing fists? He just lost a game 180 to zero. Of course he provoked you! But nothing he said could possibly justify-”

“He insulted my parents and Harry’s mum!” George cried in defense.

“And why didn’t you wait for me and Professor Snape, who were already on our way and in hearing range, to deal with him? No, instead you two decided to give a little Muggle dueling show! That is not the Gryffindor way-”

“Hem, hem.”

Harry and George both turned around and found themselves face to face with Umbridge. Behind her Sirius was looking grimmer than before and said tightly to McGonagall:

“I tried telling her you were busy disciplining our students Minerva but Dolores seems to think she can help.”

“Help?” McGonagall asked raising an annoyed eyebrow.

“Yes,” Umbridge said sweetly. “Lend you a little extra authority.”

“If I needed extra authority I would have called my deputy and you may have noticed that he was waiting outside without me having to tell him to!” McGonagall said walking to Umbridge and then turning her back on her, “Now, listen closely you two. I don’t care if Malfoy insulted every member of your family, your behavior was disgusting and I am giving both of you a week of detention. Don’t look at me like that Potter Black! You deserve it and if either of you-“

“Hem, hem.”

McGonagall turned around inhaling deeply and asked, “You are still there Dolores?”

“Yes,” she answered. “I agree with you that Professor Black is not suited to discipline these students-“

“I never said that!” McGonagall said outraged and Sirius gaped at Umbridge.

“But, I am. And I think a week of detention is not nearly enough for these boys’ action.”

“Fortunately, that decision is mine not yours Dolores,” McGonagall said as she turned back to Harry and George.

“Actually,” Umbridge continued as if McGonagall had not turned and rummaged in her bag. “Oh, where is it. Oh, here,” she said happily producing a scroll of parchment that had an official looking seal. “When Professor Dumbledore refused to hear my concerns about how young Draco was being handled by his Head of House I had to take my concerns to the Minister and he agreed with me that things could not go on like this.”  She cleared her throat and started reading, “Educational Decree Number Twenty-five.”

“Not another one!” Sirius moaned.

Umbridge continued unfazed, “You see, the Minister agreed with me that the High Inquisitor has to have more authority than a common teacher and therefore override their decisions.”

“Except Malfoy wasn’t put on probation by a common teacher. Only the Headmaster has that power, he merely took Malfoy’s Head of House’s suggestion in consideration and agreed with him,” Sirius said tightly.

Umbridge smiled tightly and said, “Yes, I know. But Mr. Malfoy’s unfair persecution isn’t being discussed now.” All other four occupants of the room gaped at her. Malfoy being unfairly persecuted when she had Harry in detention every other night? Wisely none of them said anything. “As I was saying,” she cleared her throat again and read:

“The High Inquisitor will henceforth have supreme authority over all punishments, sanctions and removal of privileges pertaining to the students of Hogwarts, and the power to alter such punishments, sanctions and removals of privileges as may have been ordered by other staff members. Signed, Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, Order of Merlin First Class, etc., etc.”

She rolled up the parchment and put it back into her handbag, still smiling.

“So… I really think I will have to ban these two from playing Quidditch ever again,” she said, looking from Harry to George and back again.

“What?” Sirius spluttered.

“Oh, and his twin too. After all, the only reason he wasn’t engaged in attacking Mr. Malfoy was because he was being held back,” she smiled sweetly.

“You, can’t ban us from playing ever again,” Harry said in a strained voice.

“Yes, Mr. Potter I think that ought to do the trick.”

“And off course your brooms shall be confiscated. I will be keeping them safe in my office,” she continued turning to a stock still McGonagall, “I see no reason for the rest of the team to be punished; after all they didn’t show signs of violence. Well, Good afternoon, I have somewhere else to be now.” She smiled and walked out the door.

“Professor,” George said to McGonagall. “She can’t-“

“Apparently she can Mr. Weasley,” McGonagall said grimly. “You two go back to the tower.”

George and Harry nodded but Sirius stopped Harry as they were leaving, “You come with me Harry.”

Xxxx

In the Hospital Wing Madam Pomfrey had just healed Malfoy’s bruised jaw. He wasn’t seriously injured since Harry and George hadn’t had time to do much. Once she left, Severus barked, “Explain yourself,” as he leveled a glare at his student who stared defiantly back at him but didn’t say a word. “Nothing to say? You seemed to have a lot to say out there in the pitch.”

Malfoy sneered, “So this is about me badmouthing your Mudblood lover,” Severus clenched his fist and held his breath and Malfoy smirked satisfied. “Oh, yes. Mother told me all about you being rejected by a Mudblood. Being second best to Potter.”

“Watch your language Mr. Malfoy,” Severus snapped. “I will not tolerate such disrespect towards anyone, living or dead. And this is not about your foul language no.”

Malfoy just continued smirking delighted and Severus’ eyes narrowed. He would not let the brat rile him up.

“What part of my speech did you not hear Mr. Malfoy? Did I not say that cheating would not be tolerated?”

Malfoy kept his sneer on and said nothing.

“You cheated throughout the entire game. And since you weren’t happy with that, you made an illegal move with the Bludger clearly intending to injure the other team’s Seeker after the game was over. I warned you Mr. Malfoy. You are hereby banned from the Quidditch team. ”

“Hem, hem.”

Severus inhaled deeply and prayed for patience. He turned his body in a way that he was still clearly facing Malfoy but could see Umbridge by turning his head slightly.

“Yes?”

“Well, as I have just informed your colleague, Professor McGonagall, thanks to Educational Decree Number Twenty-five, I have ultimate authority on punishments. And I just think it’s most unfair for the victim to be punished, so unfortunately I will have to override your decision and cancel the ban. Mr. Malfoy will still be playing Quidditch if he so pleases.”

Severus turned fully around, “If you undermine my authority like that every student in this school will feel free to disrespect their Head of House because you will waltz in and save them.”

“Oh, no. Professor. I plan to cancel only the unfair punishments.”

“Mr. Malfoy cheated and I was clear that that would not be tolerated,” Severus hissed.

Umbridge chuckled falsely, “That’s part of the game Professor. I think you are persecuting Mr. Malfoy, maybe to get back at his father who you have falsely accused of horrible activities. And I just can’t let that happen.”

Severus inhaled deeply and tightened his jaw. He threw a glance at a smirking Malfoy and stalked away from the room. He marched forward furiously and mechanically, and was not aware of how he found himself banging the Marauder’s Quarters portrait open and hearing Sirius growl:

“What were you thinking? When have I ever told you that violence was the way?”

Harry was standing with a mutinous expression in the middle of the living room and Sirius and Remus were both pacing around him.

“He offended mum. I was not going to have that!”

“You knew Umbridge has been using any excuse to get at you and you hand one on a silver platter!” Remus cried.

Severus sighed. Yes, Umbridge was definitely turning their lives into hell.

---


Chapter End Notes:
A/N- Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Thanks SWadict1986 for betaying.

Some of the dialog comes from “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”