Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dear readers,

only one more chapter will come and then this story is finsihed and I will start to upload the sequel.

Sunny

Chapter 14 - Telling the Truth (27)

 

"You must look at my photos, Aunt Poppy," Severus whined.

 

"I'll be back in a second, Severus. I just need to get the hot chocolate for you two," Poppy said while she headed for the kitchen.

 

Pookah curled himself up on the couch and fell asleep immediately.

 

"Look, Uncle Al!" Severus said while jumping on Alastor's lap.

 

Harry sat down at the table and watched, bemused, as Severus showed Alastor the photos.

 

"It seems you had a lot of fun today, little one," Alastor said.

 

Poppy came back and placed two steaming cups of hot chocolate on the table. "Be careful it is really hot." She sat down as well and looked worriedly at Harry. "Everything okay, Harry?"

 

"Yes," Harry said quickly and played with the rim of his cup.

 

Severus jumped from Alastor's lap and jogged over to Poppy. With not much effort he climbed in her lap. "You have to give Harry the cream that makes everything better, Aunt Poppy."

 

Poppy looked sadly at Severus. "Not all wounds can be healed so easily."

 

Severus frowned. "But you always make everything better."

 

"Didn't you want to show your Aunt the photos, Sev?" Harry asked to distract the child. He felt embarrassed that Sev spoke about him with the Mediwitch.

 

Poppy eyed him closely. "Is there something you would like to tell me, Harry?"

 

"No, really. Everything is okay," Harry said, not fooling anyone.

 

"I can see that it isn't, Harry, but if you don't want to speak about it, I have to accept it. Just remember you can come whenever you feel the need for it," Poppy said reassuringly.

 

"The chocolate is way too hot to drink it right now. So, would you help me fix the toilet in the hospital wing? Argus won't be back for a few days, and Poppy likes to have anything ready for an emergency even during the holidays," Alastor asked.

 

"Sure," Harry said and stood up immediately. Anything to get away from the prying eyes of the Mediwitch, Harry thought.

 

"And what will we do while they are away?" Poppy asked Severus.

 

Severus shrugged with his shoulders and looked expectantly up into Poppy's face. "Play?"

 

"What would you like to play? A puzzle?"

 

"Yeah," Severus screamed happily.

 

"Drink your chocolate while I fetch the puzzle," Poppy instructed Severus as she sat him down on the chair. One flick with her wand, and Harry's cup was holding its temperature until he would be back.

 

Only a few seconds later Poppy was back with a lion puzzle. There were only 8 pieces, so Severus was able to put it together with a little help of Poppy. They were almost finished when Alastor and Harry came back.

 

"The toilet is fixed," Alastor said as he sat down.

 

Harry looked nervously from Poppy to Alastor while sipping his chocolate. The air was prickling, and only Severus wasn't aware of it. He was too engrossed with his puzzle.

 

"Done," Severus shouted and smiled happily at the adults.

 

"Well done, tyke," Alastor said, ruffling Severus' hair.

 

Harry sighed. "Ehm... Madam Pomfrey? Could we please speak in private?"

 

"Sure. Do you mind if we go into the hospital wing?" Poppy was in full healer mode. It seems Alastor had spoken some sense into the boy.

 

"Maybe that would be best." Harry pushed himself up off the chair with a lot of effort. He sighed again. He had the feeling he was going to a trial.

 

"Come on, little one, let's put this away. I have a surprise for you," Alastor said, distracting Severus from Harry's and Poppy's conversation.

 

Quickly Severus put all the pieces back in the box and went over to the small cupboard with Alastor. Pookah sleepily looked up when he realized that his owner was moving around in the room. Seeing that he didn't leave the room, he closed his eyes again.

 

"Look, that's the memory game I promised you we would play." Alastor pulled the game out of the cupboard after placing the puzzle back in it.

 

"Yeah, we playing?" Severus asked excitedly.

 

"Yes, if you like."

 

"I want." Severus grabbed the box eagerly and ran over to the table.

 

Alastor chuckled.

Severus really liked to play, but he had problems to concentrate on. Alastor tried to not end the game too quickly. He could easily look through the memory cards. The magical eye couldn't be turned off, but he wanted Severus to enjoy the game.

 

"Ah, finally the memory game," Poppy said as she and Harry entered the room again.

 

Severus looked up. "You come play?"

 

Poppy laughed and guided an uncertain looking Harry over to the table.

 

Severus looked worried at Harry. "Did you cry, Harry?" He climbed from his chair and went over to Harry. "Aunt Poppy makes all good, Harry." He held his arms up for Harry to lift him on his lap.

 

"She will do, Sev," Harry said and lifted the small boy in his lap. "I will stay here for a while, so will you visit me often?"

 

"Yes. We can play puzzle and memory and we can go flying. It will be great." Severus was happy that Harry will stay at Hogwarts. He really liked him, and that meant he had another friend here besides Charlie. He hugged Harry to show him how much he liked him living here.

 

"Okay, Sev, but first I have to fetch my clothes from The Burrow." He kissed Severus gently on his forehead.

 

"Shall I accompany you?" Alastor offered.

 

"No, I think I have to do this alone. The Weasleys did so much for me, and it will take some time to explain it to them. I will move into your guestroom tomorrow. Thanks for offering it." Harry looked shyly from Alastor to Poppy.

 

"About time that a little more life comes to these quarters again. The holidays already were getting on my nerves," Alastor said friendly. "Charlie will be happy to hear that you are staying. Living in the castle with only us old people is a little boring until the students come."

 

"Yes, that is one thing I'm really looking forward to. He never pesters me, and we have become very good friends." Harry looked down at Severus. "And I'm sure this young man will keep me busy as well, so I won't have much time to brew over problems."

 

"Will you come to my home?" Severus asked hopefully. "I can show you all my toys."

 

"I'm sure I will come by, Sev." Harry said and placed Severus on Poppy's lap. "I had better go now. I'm sure Hermione is back at The Burrow already, and everyone is sick with worry." Harry rolled his eyes while looking at Alastor. He had told him about the problems with Hermione and what had happened on the Quidditch pitch while they were fixing the toilet. Or rather while Alastor fixed the toilet. Harry was of no help, and they both knew this from the beginning. It was just a distraction for the old manipulative Auror to speak with Harry. It had been obvious that there was something troubling the young man. First Harry wanted to lie and not tell Alastor anything, but Alastor was very good at coercing people to speak about their problems, never judging, listening intently, occasionally asking little questions bringing them closer to the centre of the problem, and before the other person even realises, they have revealed the entire situation.

 

Alastor had convinced Harry to speak with Poppy and that he should listen to his heart in concern with his decision on whether or not to leave The Burrow.

 

When Harry had spoken with Poppy, he was honest this time, he told her about all his health problems and also about the trouble with Hermione. Poppy's reaction had surprised him. He had awaited a scolding for not telling her the truth before and that she would be on Hermione's side. But she just thanked him for finally telling her the truth, and she asked him to trust her to take more tests and even try some new potions to help his mood changes. She offered him their guestroom. It would be easier to try out different potions and do the tests if he is close to her. It also would give him some timeout from the Weasleys and Hermione. She even offered to speak with Albus about giving Harry his own quarters in Hogwarts if he felt uncomfortable with the idea of living with Alastor and her.

 

Harry decided to take the offer to live with Alastor and Poppy. He never liked being alone, and so he would have felt uncomfortable living alone in his quarters.

 

"They will understand, Harry. If Hermione makes any trouble, send her to me," Poppy said encouragingly.

 

When Harry left, Poppy looked at Severus in her lap. "I think it's time for you to go back to Albus and Minerva. So get your lazy pet, and we will walk you home."


Please review!