Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dear readers,

this is the last long chapter and the last without Harry. Next time I update it will be my normal short chapter and Harry will appear. From then on he will get more and more important.

Severus won't be re-aged!!! He will have to live this second childhood completely and grow naturally! This is a fluffy story without a lot of action!

Sunny

Chapter 3 - New friends (13-16)
Chapter 13 - The Greenhouse

 

When they arrived at the greenhouse, Pomona was nowhere to be seen.

 

"Maybe she isn't back yet. Let's see if greenhouse one is open," Charlie said and led Severus, who was hopping on one leg beside him, in the right direction. "You really have a lot of energy, Sevvy."

 

"Bree and Key not?" Severus asked.

Charlie stopped and looked confusedly at Severus. He had no idea what Severus was talking about. "Sorry, but I didn't get that, what do you want to know?"

 

"Bree and Key no en... ener... gy?"

 

"Oh, now I understand. You mean Bryanna and Kenneth. They also have a lot of energy and you will enjoy playing with them. You will meet them soon because my mother has invited you, Albus and Minerva to The Burrow for dinner tomorrow. The Burrow is where my parents live and some of my brothers and sisters."

 

"Many children?" Severus asked, interested.

 

"Of your age, there are only Bree and Ken and they are just there during the day and when my brother Bill and his wife visit my parents. The others are older. Ginny is the youngest of us and my only sister. She is still going to Hogwarts; she will be a seventh year. And then my twin brothers Fred and George and my youngest brother, Ron, are living at The Burrow, but they all are working, and so they are only there from the late afternoon or on weekends. Hermione is also living with my parents. She is a good friend of Ron and the twins and so my mother asked her to move in because she has taken an apprenticeship in a hospital near our house. Hermione is muggle-born, but that would take too much explaining to tell you what that means for the moment."

 

Severus tried hard to memorize all the names. It must be great to live with so many people. There would always be someone to play with.

 

They were standing in Greenhouse One now, and Charlie said, "Look, Sev, that's what I wanted to show you." He pointed at a plant with hairy stems and leaves and with many blossoms, which were yellow in the middle and had white petals. But the strange thing was that on the blossoms they had tiny faces. Many little eyes with long lashes were blinking tantalizingly at Severus and Charlie and their little mouths were smiling.

 

"Already flirting with 'Marry Me', Severus?" Pomona said while entering the greenhouse.

 

"Marry me?" Severus asked curiously while facing Pomona.

 

"Oh, I would love to sweet heart, but I fear I'm a little old for you," She said grinning and scooped Severus up into her strong arms. "Just joking, sweetie. So how was the flying?"

 

"Great!" Severus screamed excited. "Ro, cool. Sev catched her."

 

"Caught her, sweetie, not catched." Pomona corrected him while nudging his nose with her index finger.

 

"Caught her," Severus said proudly.

 

Thinking about Ro made Severus remember the toffees. "Ro said you have toffee." Severus tried hard to say it right.

 

Pomona laughed. "Oh, did she? Yeah, I have a toffee for you, but you have to promise to suck it and not to try to bite on it, okay? It could be too hard for your little teeth." She rummaged in her pocket and produced a little squared thing out of it. It was wrapped in brown, crackling paper, and Severus unwrapped it with big eyes. Before daring to place it in his mouth, he looked at Pomona for permission.

 

"Try it, Severus," she said encouragingly and smiled at him.

 

"Want one too, Charlie?" Pomona asked Charlie while Severus sucked on his toffee.

 

"Yummy, Arlie!" Severus said and then looked at Pomona, who already was pulling out another toffee. "Thank you, Aunt Pommy."

 

"Oh, you are so sweet." She kissed Severus on his cheek.

 

Severus wiped his cheek with his hand and looked at Charlie again.

 

Charlie was grinning, because he had to think about what Rolanda had said about the other women in the castle. She was right, and Pomona is the biggest mother hen of them all. Her Hufflepuffs love her for it.

 

"Thank you for the toffee, Pomona, but please don't kiss me for saying it," Charlie said teasingly.

 

"You should not spend so much time with Rolanda, young man. It isn't becoming you," she replied playfully.

 

"You must keep an eye on Charlie, Severus, so that he doesn't become too cheeky," she said while heading with Severus in her arms out of the greenhouse.

 

Charlie followed them, and soon they were standing in front of greenhouse five.

 

"You have to stay in my arms, Severus! I have some dangerous plants in there, and I don't want you to come in contact with them, okay?"

 

Severus nodded and already was looking curiously around the door.

 

"Come on, Charlie, the dragon lady is in there. You will really love her," Pomona said and was satisfied when Charlie followed shortly after.

 

This greenhouse was dim and it was harder to breathe in it. Severus snug closer to Pomona.

 

"No worries, Sev. As long as you stay in my arms, nothing will happen to you." Pomona drew small circles on his back, and Severus relaxed.

 

Soon they were standing in front of a big plant, which quickly changed its colour from green, to blue and finally to red. It had four blossoms that were now facing the visitors, puffing fume. "Try to touch them with the stick over there, Charlie!" Pomona instructed him.

 

Charlie grabbed the stick and moved it near one of the blossoms. Immediately all four blossoms were turning to the tip of the stick and were breathing flames at it. The stick caught fire, and Severus yelped surprised.

"Amazing," Charlie said and blew the flame out. "I have never seen one like this." Charlie exclaimed dreamily and a little sadly.

 

Pomona touched his arm affectionately and said, "I didn't want to make you sad. I'm sorry, Charlie. I know you miss your work in Romania and the dragons."

 

"It's okay, Pomona. It's just that sometimes I get homesick by thinking of the dragons. I really liked to work with them, and I had found a lot of friends. But I'm glad to be here as well. Potions always was my passion and the opportunity to take over the position of the Potions Professor was something I couldn't reject. I'm just a little scared that I'm not mature enough for it."

 

"Nonsense, the students will love to have a young teacher. It's good to have a big variety in the staff," she assured Charlie.

 

Meanwhile Severus was playing with Pomona's locks and found a little beetle in it. "Look, Aunt Pommy."

 

"Oh, a little ladybug," Pomona said. "Let us bring him outside. He wouldn't be happy in here."

 

Outside of the greenhouse, Severus enjoyed the fresh air. In the greenhouse, he already had started to become sleepy. He stretched his arm and index finger where the little bug was sitting on and said, "Fly lady!"

 

As if the bug had heard him, it opened its wings and flew away.

 

"Oh, you really have a special charm on ladies, Sevvy." She cuddled him one more time and then let him down.

 

"Could you give something to Poppy for me, Charlie? She needs the salve I made."

 

"Of course, we will just pass by the infirmary on our way back. I have to meet Alastor anyway," Charlie said while taking the salve and placing it in his pocket.

 

"Going to the lake, Arlie?" Severus said while pointing at the water surface a few meters away.

 

Charlie laughed, "Okay, okay, Severus." He faced Pomona again and sighed, smiling. "I fear I will be more exhausted than he will be tonight. He is full of energy."

 

"It must be all so new and overwhelming for him, after what we know about his first childhood." She looked thoughtfully at Severus. "You didn't know Severus as we knew him, Charlie. He was a very private man, but sometimes he had opened to some of us. We knew he had a bad childhood, but this..." She couldn't finish her sentence because she got a lump in her thought.

 

Charlie placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and then looked at Severus, who was unaware that he was the main topic of their conversation. He had seen a butterfly and was following it from one flower to another. "It must be hard for you all. You lost a friend."

"We would have lost him nevertheless, Charlie. That's the only thing that makes it bearable." She looked at Severus, who was giggling in delight. She had to smile again, and a warm feeling spread through her stomach. "But we also got this lovely child, here. Take him to the lake. Maybe the squid will come out to greet him."

 

One last squeeze and he let go of her shoulder. "Okay, we will leave. I hope we will see you soon, Pomona."

 

"Me, too, Charlie, me, too!" she said, smiling.

 

"Bye, Aunt Pomona," Severus said while running over to her and hugging her legs.

 

"Here, Severus," she pushed another toffee in his hand, leaned down and kissed his cheek again.

 

Severus smiled at her, but nevertheless wiped his cheek again. Then he ran over to Charlie, took his hand and again started to hop on one foot beside him to the lake.

 

__________________________________

 

The squid was happy to get some visitors. The holidays were boring, and so it spread his tentacles so that they were hovering over the water surface. With one he reached for the giggling child that bounced happy up and down the shore.

 

Severus reached for the tentacle and patted it. It was like a big copy of his small animal toys. Severus loved the squid immediately.

 

When one wet tentacle touched him on his cheek, he said, "You're like Aunt Pommy."

 

The noises at the shore made the other citizens of the lake curious, and some of the mermaids were coming to the surface to see where the noises were coming from.

 

"Hello!" Severus yelled and waved his hand over his head, while jumping on the spot.

 

The mermaids were looking curiously at him, but kept their distance.

 

"They can't understand you, Sevvy. They speak another language to what we do," Charlie explained and took Severus hand. "Come on, we have to bring Aunt Poppy the salve."

 

"'Kay," Severus said, turned to the lake again and yelled, "Bye Bye."

 

Chapter 14 - Poppy's Disapproval

 

Their journey to the hospital wing passed without any problems. Peeves didn't cross their path again, which Severus really was glad about. He knew they were heading for the big room he had woken up in yesterday, and that Aunt Poppy would be there. And where Aunt Poppy is, Uncle Al is. Severus wanted to tell him about the squid and the flying, but most importantly about the bad ghost, because he was sure that Uncle Al would help him, and punish the bad ghost.

 

They entered the hospital wing, and nobody was there. Severus almost started to get disappointed when the door to Poppy's office opened, and his beloved Aunt came out. "Aunt Poppy!" Severus yelled and ran over to her.

 

"Oh, it's my little Severus," she said while taking him up in her arms. "So did you have a nice day?" she asked while tickling him lightly on his stomach.

 

Severus giggled. "Yes, Sev flying and meeting Ro, Aunt Pommy and Squid," he told her while she carried him over to one of the beds.

 

"Hello, Mr. Weasley. I hope you have taken good care of our little one," she said in a friendly tone while looking at Charlie.

 

"Please call me Charlie, Madam Pomfrey. And yes, I have kept a good eye on him."

 

When Severus was placed on the bed, he looked up at Poppy with big eyes.

 

"Just a short check up, Severus. Nothing to worry about." She nudged the tip of his nose and drew her wand.

 

After some diagnostic spells she shook her head in disapproval, so that Charlie became nervous. "Is there a problem Madam Pomfrey. I really have kept a close eye on him, and he hasn't hurt himself."

 

"Yes, there is a problem, but that isn't your fault. I will keep Severus here and inform Albus and Minerva myself, so you can leave now."

 

Charlie could sense that Poppy was angry, not at him but still angry, and he didn't want to cross her. "Okay." He looked worriedly at Severus, who looked as if he would start crying at any moment. "Pomona gave me this salve for you. I will just place it on the night table."

 

"Yes, thank you, Charlie."

 

The first sobs could be heard from the bed, and Charlie wanted to leave as fast as possible.

 

"There is no reason to cry, Severus. You are in no trouble." Poppy gently stroked his hair and summoned a glass of water. "Come on, drink something, you are almost dehydrated."

 

Charlie sucked the air in sharply. Damn I forgot to take something to drink for him with me. How often did I hear my Mum telling Bill that he should never forget to have something to drink for the children with him?

 

"Charlie, really that isn't your fault, and you should go now, so that I can help Severus."

 

Severus had tried to drink the water, but it was hard to do it while sobbing. So it was no wonder that he was choking now.

 

"Severus calm down, there isn't anything wrong. I'm sure Charlie will visit you again soon, and you just have to eat something and take a little nap. I'm sure Alastor would be glad to have someone to cuddle while he takes his own nap," Poppy explained softly while she rubbed Severus' back calmingly.

 

Severus calmed down. He was tired, and having a nap with Uncle Al wasn't such a bad option to look forward to right now.

 

"Oh, I wanted to meet Professor Moody. So maybe it is better if I wait until tomorrow," Charlie said while coming over to Severus one last time, to say goodbye.

"No, no, just go to our private quarter; you already know where it is. Tell Alastor that he shall wait for Severus before he takes his afternoon nap." She made a waving gesture with her hand, and Charlie knew that now it was really time to leave.

 

"Bye-Bye, Sevvy, we will see you tomorrow at the Burrow," Charlie said and ruffled Severus' hair. "I really enjoyed our little adventure today."

 

Severus smiled at him. "Bye, Arlie."

 

"So, Severus, what have you eaten today?" Poppy asked while eying him closely.

 

Severus looked at her and chewed his bottom lip. Sweets are not good. Father always said that sweets make children more louder and annoying than they are without eating them. And they are making bad teeth. Aunt Poppy won't like me to get bad teeth.

 

"Severus stop chewing your lip, and tell me what you have been eating today!"

 

Lowering his gaze, Severus said in a small, "Toffees from Aunt Pommy."

 

"Was that so hard to tell me, Severus?" Poppy asked still softly.

 

Severus looked at Poppy again. "Sowwy."

 

"Severus, I want you to be always honest to me. It's very important that you tell me the truth, so that I can help you. There isn't anything bad about eating toffees, but you have to take care that you don't eat too many, and that you eat something else and not only sweets. Therefore I will bring you some fruit and carrots now or are you really hungry, so that I can give you a sausage or a bread roll.

 

"Sausage, please, Aunt Poppy," Severus pleaded because he was really hungry after all he did today. First he hadn't realized it, but after Poppy told him about all the food he could eat now, his stomach rumbled. "Okay, Sweetie. Slide a little further onto the bed, so that I can place a tray in front of you."

 

Severus did as Poppy told him, and soon he had a plate full of sliced apples, peaches and carrots in front of him. A plate with a sausage and a cup full of milk was also on the tray. Severus grabbed the sausage and ate happily.

 

"I'll be back in a second, Severus," Poppy said and headed for the fireplace to inform Albus and Minerva that Severus will be staying with her and Alastor, and that they will bring him over for supper. She tried to stay friendly, but couldn't stop from scolding them about their lack of care. She had made very clear that they have to let Severus sleep a lot. Sending him out with Charlie without having a midday nap was irresponsible. She also had given them a lot of books about child care, and so was annoyed that they obviously didn't read them carefully. Otherwise they would have given Charlie a bottle of water, so that he could offer Severus something to drink, from time to time. She knew that they don't take it easy themselves, but that doesn't change that they should be more careful about Severus. After scolding them through the fireplace, Poppy already felt guilty. Seeing Minerva's shocked face was heart breaking. She tried very hard to make everything right; Poppy knew this. I hope that this will make them read the books more carefully.

 

Severus was almost finished when Alastor came in. "I have heard there is someone, who wants to nap with me?"

 

"Me," Severus said, with his mouth full, from the bed. When small pieces of apple flew out of his mouth by this, he looked shamefully at Poppy.

 

Poppy couldn't suppress a chuckle and vanished the sprayed food. "First chewing, then swallowing and then speaking, Severus."

 

Severus tried to chew very visibly so that Aunt Poppy could see that he was doing what she wanted him to do.

 

"That's right, Severus," she said while standing up.

 

She walked over to Alastor and said, "Watch him while he's eating and then take him with you for the nap. I will go and visit Albus and Minerva. I fear I scolded them too much and have to calm their nerves now. Maybe I should tell them a few more things that are important about children."

 

"Okay, don't be too harsh with them. They are really trying to make everything right."

 

"I know." She sighed and then left the hospital wing.

 

"So what have we here, kid?" He walked over to the bed and sat beside Severus. "Hmmm, apples and peaches."

 

"Want one?" Severus grabbed a slice of apple and offered it to Alastor.

 

"Thank you." Alastor took the offered slice and started to nibble at it. "I heard you enjoyed your flight with Charlie and Rolanda."

 

"Yes, we were very fast," Severus said, trying to speak clearly.

 

"Oh, yes, Rolanda and Charlie are very good fliers, and you will become a very good one as well. It's not easy to get Rolanda as a friend, Severus. You are really someone special."

 

Severus smiled and stuffed the last piece of apple in his mouth. Still chewing, he leaned over to Alastor and placed his head on his broad chest. He was very tired.

 

Alastor patted his head. "Come on, kid. You still have to finish the milk and then we can take our nap." He offered Severus the half full cup and let the rest of the dishes, including the tray, vanish with just a wave of his hand.

 

Severus stared in awe at the scarred hand. "No wand?"

 

Alastor laughed. "You are really observant, kid. Yes, I don't need a wand for simple spells like that."

 

That reminded Severus of the bad ghost and that he wanted to ask Uncle Al for help. The bad feeling overcame him, and he threw himself at the surprised man. The cup was empty, and so it wasn't so bad that it slid out of Severus' hand while he sobbed hard into Alastor's chest.

 

"What's wrong, Severus?" Alastor asked, alarmed while already starting to draw small calming circles with his hand on Severus' back.

 

"Bad ghost, Uncle Alastor. Make him go away." Severus was crying hard and couldn't stop.

 

Alastor needed a moment to realize that he didn't have to look around for any ghost here. He had heard from Charlie about the meeting between Severus and Peeves in the hall, and so he knew what Severus was talking about. "Severus, Peeves won't hurt you. He is just a bitter, old poltergeist. I'm sure Albus has already scolded him for scaring you, and when I meet him, I'll also tell him to leave you in peace."

 

"Send him away, Uncle Al," Severus said in a small voice, almost asleep because he felt so safe in Alastor's arms.

 

"I can't, Sev. He is part of this castle and you will learn to live with him. But with Albus as the headmaster of this castle, Peeves has to accept his wishes, and so he won't annoy you again."

 

Severus didn't reply, and Alastor could guess by the slow breathing that he had already fallen asleep. He chuckled and carried Severus into his private quarters. "That was a little much today for a little tyke like you. Soon you won't take a nap so easily," He said to the sleeping child while laying him on his bed and removing his shoes. He changed Severus into the pair of pajamas Poppy had placed in their cupboard for situations like this. Then he crawled beside Severus and pulled him against his chest. Soon both were sound asleep.

 

Chapter 15 - The Magical Eyes

 

Ho, the Hedgehog, was so tired after playing the whole day with the Rabbit. So when they snuggled together, he fell asleep very quickly. First the grass in front of his muzzle was shaking from the small puffs of air he was breathing. Soon he was snoring very loudly and the ground vibrated from it, and the leaves of the trees they were lying under began to rustle and fell from the wind the snores made. The fur of Rabbit was ruffled by at as well and even his ears were shaking. The wind became more and more and more...

 

Severus opened his eyes with a start. His shoulder long hair was in his face. He was still a little disorientated when a loud snore was blown on the back of his head and brought his hair flying further into his face. A heavy weight was lying over his side and when Severus looked down, he saw Alastor's arm lying over his side. Another snore, and Severus had to giggle.

 

It was not very easy, but Severus managed to turn around and look at Alastor. His normal eye was closed, but his magical eye was open and stared at Severus. First Severus thought that Alastor could see him, but he remembered that normally his magical eye was moving the whole time, even if it were only small movements. Right now, it was stock still. Severus used this opportunity to look at it closer. Severus liked the blue color of it. First it had scared him, but soon he didn't even notice it. It just belonged to Uncle Al, and Severus thought that he would look odd without it.

 

Another big snore made Severus' hair fly again, but this time out of his face. Severus closed his eyes and waited for the storm to end. He had to giggle again and unfortunately this vibration through his body made a personal need become very noticeable. Severus groaned and pulled his legs to his body.

 

"Problems, kid?" Alastor's voice didn't show any sign that seconds before he was deep asleep.

 

Severus head jerked upwards to look at Alastor, but his legs moved even further to his body to lessen the pressure on his bladder.

 

Alastor supported his upper body on his elbows and looked down at the distressed child.

 

"Need to pee, Severus?" His magical eye was scanning Severus from head to toe.

 

"No, Uncle Al," Severus lied. He didn't want to go to the toilet here. I hope we can go to Albus and Minwa quickly so that I can go to the safe toilet.

 

Alastor had to chuckle. "Nice try, kid." With that he stood up and lifted Severus in his arms. Poppy had told him about the toilet problem, and so he knew why Severus had lied.

 

The bathroom was smaller than Albus and Minerva's, and there wasn't a tub. But there was a toilet, much to Severus' disappointment.

 

Soon Alastor had placed Severus in front of the toilet. The moment Severus' feet touched the floor, he started to run, but long years as an Auror had given Alastor quick reflexes, and so Severus was stopped very soon. He had tried to catch Severus as carefully as possible, but Severus was frightened, and so again, he wet his pajama pants.

"No!" he cried, held his front and, much to his surprise, he could stop it this time.

 

Alastor still was encircling Severus from behind and of course had realized what had just happened. "No worries, Sev. It doesn't matter. We will just clean it after you have dressed. Now look at me!" He turned Severus lightly sideways so that he could look at him. It was hard to suppress a grin from the sight of the little boy clutching his pajama front. "There is no monster in our toilet. Nowhere in this castle are any monsters in toilets, okay?"

 

Severus didn't look convinced, and so Alastor went on, "See my eye, Sev?"

 

Severus nodded. It was hard to concentrate on what Alastor said while having to pee that desperately.

 

"It's magical, and I can do many things with it. For example, looking through walls."

 

That's funny, but what does it have to do with the toilet? Severus thought confused.

 

Seeing Severus' confused face, Alastor said, "And through toilets!"

 

"Oh," Severus said while his eyes widened in understanding.

 

"So," Alastor pulled down Severus' wet pyjama bottom, "I can assure you that there is no monster in that toilet."

 

Before Severus could think about it, he was placed on the seat. The position immediately let him loose all of his control. Moments later, he was relieved and exhausted as if he had just finished a long run.

 

The moment he was staring at his wet pyjama bottom, the sound of a door closing could be heard. Soon followed Poppy's voice. "Where are you two? Everything okay?"

 

Severus couldn't suppress a little yelp and crossed his legs in an attempt to hide the wet pyjamas. He shook his head frantically when Alastor looked at him. "No, please!" he whispered.

 

"It's just Aunt Poppy, Sev," he said to Severus. His magical eye was turned backward, and so Severus could only see the white side of it. The idea of Aunt Poppy coming in and seeing that he had wet his pyjamas again was much more frightening than Uncle Al's eye. "We are in here, Poppy," Alastor shouted and then grabbed Severus' shoulder quickly to prevent him from falling from the toilet.

Severus had tried to get out of his pyjamas. He wanted the damn proof of him being such a baby as far away from him as possible before Aunt Poppy came in. The problem was that it was hard to balance on the seat, and so he almost fell.

 

When Poppy came in, she could see Alastor grab quickly after Severus to stop him from falling down, and Severus' shocked face to see her standing in the room. She was a little surprised by this expression, but a quick glance at Severus, as she came nearer, and she noticed the problem. "Oh, Severus, I'm very proud to see you on the toilet again. You are really a big boy." She knelt in front of him, entangled the pajama bottoms and removed them with no comment about their wet state. "A quick wash up in the shower, and then we will take you home to Albus and Minerva, okay?"

 

Severus stared open-mouthed at Poppy. Why isn't she screaming at me? I spoiled the pajamas, and I only wore them once.

 

Poppy lifted him from the toilet and asked, "Do you want to flush it?"

 

Severus still couldn't believe his luck. She isn't screaming, and she even seems to be pleased that I was on the toilet. Without answering he extended his hand, and Poppy hovered him near the flush bottom, so that he could reach it.

 

On the floor again, his pyjama top was pulled over his head by the skilful hands of Poppy.

 

When Poppy opened the shower curtain, Severus was surprised to see a chair standing in it.

 

"Do you want to shower on Alastor's chair, Severus?" Poppy asked, and when Severus nodded, she placed him on it.

 

Severus enjoyed sitting in the shower very much. It was really funny. Too soon for his taste, the fun was over, and he was mopped dry.

 

Severus groaned annoyed when Poppy pulled the hated moisturizer out of the hanging cupboard. He had hoped that she didn't have one here.

 

"Severus, I have told you why this is necessary, haven't I?" she said scolding him while starting to moisturize his chest.

 

"Yes, Aunt Poppy!" Severus muttered while trying to stretch his neck to avoid getting any cream in his face.

 

With relief Severus noticed that Poppy seemed not to have the moisturizer for his face.

 

Alastor had fetched Severus' clothes, and soon they were on their way to Albus and Minerva.

 

_________________

 

"Albus! Minwa!" Severus screamed in delight when they came out of the fireplace. Soon he was engulfed in a hug by Minerva and got a hair ruffle from Albus.

 

"I'm a big boy!" Severus explained to his new parents. "Uncle Al and I were on the toilet."

"Oh, really," Albus said, chuckling. It is a good sign that Severus has started to stop speaking of himself in the third person. That means he starts to feel more comfortable with the new situation and most importantly with himself. Feeling safe would hopefully help Severus to accept himself and make him realize that he doesn't have to fear doing things wrong. With a little practice he soon will speak better as well.

 

"Yes, and we had a nap. So Sev doesn't have to go to bed early today!" Time for the puppy-dog face, Severus thought and tried his best.

Old habits again, Albus thought when he realized Severus had again used third person. We can't expect wonders after two days.

 

"Oh, no, young man," Poppy said, knelt down beside Severus and encircled him sideways. "You had an exhausting day and most importantly no midday nap. So you will go to bed after supper every night and from tomorrow on you will take your midday nap as well."

 

Severus pouted and pushed his bottom lip out. Why didn't I wait to say this until Aunt Poppy had left? "But I'm not tired."

 

"You will be when the time comes, Severus, but it is still time to play," Minerva tried to cheer Severus up.

 

Poppy shook her head in despair and said warningly, "He will twist you around his finger if you don't watch out, Minerva.

 

"No, he won't, Poppy. I remember very well what we spoke about, and I plan to follow your advice. He will go to sleep straight after supper, but until then we can play."

 

"Yeah!" Severus jumped. The word play made all the fuss about the sleep time forgotten, and he bounced around excitedly.

 

"Are you thirsty, Severus?" Albus asked while seeing, out of the corner of his eye, Alastor smirk about his question. Of course he knows that Poppy scolded us for this.

 

"Water?" Severus asked sceptically.

 

"Or juice," Albus said, grinning.

 

"Yes, juice," Severus said, excitedly and then added quickly, "please."

 

"Okay, my boy, I will get you some," Albus said. "Twinky?"

 

With a pop a house-elf appeared. "Master Dumbledore has called? What can Twinky do for you, master?"

 

Severus knew house-elves, and so he wasn't scared. He just hoped Albus wouldn't kick it, because Severus didn't like to see anyone in pain. His father often had kicked and beaten their house-elves, even when it wasn't their fault. Severus had hoped that one day, he could be as strong as a house-elf because they never cried or tried to run away.

 

"Please bring us a glass of pumpkin juice, Twinky."

No, he didn't kick it. He was polite to it. Severus couldn't stop from gaping at Albus.

 

When Twinky appeared again, Albus said, "This is Twinky, our personal house-elf, Severus."

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, young Master Dumbledore," Twinky said while bowing. She didn't spoil the juice even when she bowed so far that her nose was almost touching the floor.

"'Kay," was the only thing Severus could reply. Twinky gave him the glass of juice, and Severus finally came out of his trance-like stupor. "Thank you, Twinky."

 

"Yes, thank you, Twinky, that was all we needed," Minerva said, and seconds later Twinky was gone.

 

"We will go now," Poppy said. "Bye, Severus, and remember you don't have to bath again this evening. Only the moisturizer for your face has to be applied, okay?"

 

"Okay, Aunt Poppy," Severus said a little disappointed because he had hoped that Aunt Poppy would forget to mention the hated cream, but then he ran over to her nevertheless and hugged her legs.

 

"That's my big boy!" Poppy said while stroking his hair.

 

Shortly after releasing Poppy, he had Alastor in a bear hug. "Will you come play with me, tomorrow?"

 

"Remember that you will be visiting Charlie's family tomorrow, Severus. We won't have time to play. But I promise to play with you the day after tomorrow, okay?"

 

"Memory?" Severus asked.

 

"My, you really have burned this word into your mind, kid. Yes, if you want we can play memory then."

 

"Yeah!" Severus shouted excitedly and threw his arms in the air.

 

______________

 

"What a day," Albus said while lying down in the bed beside Minerva.

 

"Oh yes," Minerva sighed.

 

Albus looked worriedly at her sad face. "What's wrong, Minerva. Are you still upset about Poppy's scolding? She has excused herself, and it was very helpful what she told us, don't you think?"

 

"It's not that, Albus. I know that we will make many more mistakes in future, but I also know that we love Sev and won't do anything to hurt him. He is such a cute child and I love him so much that I can't believe I met him just yesterday." She was crying now and tried to hide her tears.

 

Albus was very worried. "Don't turn away from me, Minerva," he said while turning her face softly in his direction. "What is bothering you? And don't try to tell me it's nothing."

 

"It's Severus, Albus. I miss him. Oh, Merlin, I miss him so much that I fear my heart will burst." The sobs couldn't be suppressed any longer, and Minerva leaned over to lay her head on the broad chest of her husband.

 

Albus hugged her and drew calming circles on her back. Slowly the sobs ebbed, and Minerva calmed down.

 

"Talk to me, Minerva." He couldn't see her face, but they knew each other well enough. He didn't need to see her face to know that the tears were still running down her face; only silent now.

 

"The more I love Sev, the more I feel like I'm betraying Severus." She hid her face in Albus' pajama top in shame.

 

"Oh, Minerva, stop torturing yourself. Severus wouldn't have wanted you to do so." His free hand started to stroke her hair now.

 

"He is dead Albus, and he will never come back again. He is just gone! We don't even have a grave to mourn for him." The sobs had started again more forcefully this time. Albus feared that Severus would wake up from them, and so he let a bit of calming magic flow through his hands into Minerva. When she had calmed a little, he drew his wand and placed a silent charm on the room. They still could hear what happened outside, but Severus couldn't wake from their voices.

 

"We will make a grave then, Minerva. I will speak with Alastor and Filius tomorrow. Now you have to sleep. Sev will need you, Minerva. Tomorrow is a big day for him."

 

"Yes," Minerva sobbed. I have to pull myself together for Sev. My little Sev.

 

Chapter 16 - Dinner plans

 

"Okay, Severus, we are going to travel by floo again. I will carry you like last time, okay?" asked Albus while Minerva helped Severus into his shoes.

 

Severus was deep in thought. He didn't really want to visit the Weasleys, right now. What if they don't like me, like Peeves? Albus said he had spoken with Peeves and that he won't be that mean to me any longer, but he can't stop him from bullying me completely. 'You have to learn to live with him. Sometimes people don't like us and we just have to do the best out of it,' Albus had said. It's easy for him to say. He is a great wizard and nobody would dare to bully him. But what shall I do? And what shall I do if Charlie's family don't like me. What if they bully me? I would prefer to play with Stork and my toy animals in my own room.

 

Seeing that Severus didn't react on Albus question, just stared at her hands, clutching Stork, Minerva asked worriedly, "What's wrong, Sev. Don't you feel well?" She felt his forehead with her hand.

 

What will happen if I say I don't feel well? Won't we go then? Oh no, they would bring me to Aunt Poppy, and she will know that I lied, and then I will be in trouble. "I don't know." That wasn't a lie; I really feel odd. I have a crazy trickle in my stomach when I think about the new people. Maybe Bree and Ken won't let me play with their toys. I'm still not good at playing and maybe they will laugh at me. He went deeper and deeper in thought and didn't even realize that his bottom lip started to tremble. Only when he felt his cheeks getting wet by the tears that flew down over them and hearing his own sobs made him aware that he was crying.

 

"Severus, what's wrong? Does something hurt?" Minerva was very worried and took Severus' cheeks in her hands to look closely in his face.

 

Albus also had come nearer to try to figure out what was wrong. "Maybe we should let Poppy check on him before we leave."

 

"No," Severus almost shouted. "Not Aunt Poppy."

 

"Then tell us what's wrong, Severus. We can't help you if you won't talk to us," Minerva said while trying to stay calm.

 

"Don't want to go," Severus said and moved Stork from his chest to his face to hide behind him.

 

Minerva was perplexed. "Severus, please lower Stork. I want to speak with you and not with him."

 

Severus lowered his plushy and looked with sad eyes at Minerva.

 

"We thought you wanted to see Charlie again and Bryanna and Kenneth? Don't you want to play with them?"

 

Severus shook his head, but said nothing.

 

"They are all waiting to meet you. We already told you that you will play with them when Albus and I have to work, don't you remember? They will be very disappointed if you won't come to play with them." Minerva tried to reason with Severus.

 

"Don't want to," Severus said and hid again behind Stork.

 

Albus laid a calming hand on Minerva's shoulder. "I will floo the Weasleys so that they don't wonder why we haven't arrived yet."

 

"Okay," Minerva said and sighed.

 

"Stork wants to play here." Severus tried to convince Minerva not to visit the other children.

 

"Severus, Stork has spent all the time here, and I'm sure he would like to see something new. Bryanna and Kenneth also have plushies and maybe Stork would like to meet them."

 

"But maybe they won't like Stork and be bad to him," Severus replied.

 

"Severus nobody will bully you at the Burrow, if that is what you are worried about. The Weasleys are very kind people, and you will enjoy playing with kids your own age."

 

Right at that moment, Albus came back with Charlie and a young woman in tow.

 

Severus made a sound between a groan and a sob and hid behind Stork. He was embarrassed that Charlie saw him whining about visiting his family. Now, he will be mad at me for not liking his family.

 

"Hey, Sev, what's going on? Don't feel like playing today?" Charlie said cheerfully and knelt beside Severus.

 

"I'm sorry," Severus cried miserably.

 

"For what, Severus? You haven't done anything to be sorry about. Not that I know about at least, eh," he said still cheerfully in the hope to change Severus mood. "What's with Stork here? Doesn't he want to play today either?" He pulled a little at the plushy to lower it, but Severus had let go of it completely.

 

"Stork don't want to be kicked," Severus said, as if that would explain everything.

 

Charlie had to think about what Severus just said, but quickly remembered what Peeves had said to Severus. "Severus, my family will definitely not kick you or do anything to hurt you. My mom has made a very yummy dinner with so much dessert that you will roll out of the door after it. And Bree and Kenny have been hyper ever since we told them that you were coming to visit them. They have already lined up all the toys they want to play with you in their playing room at the Burrow. You will have a great time at the Burrow. I promise. We have no mean poltergeist or anything like that."

 

Severus had listened very attentively and was already not so scared any more to go and visit the Burrow. He really wanted to play with other kids, but there will be more people there. "Do you have a father?"

"Yes, I have a father," he said, seeing Severus expression changing from attentive to scared again, he quickly added, "A very nice father. He also is looking forward to meet you."

 

"Oh yes, he is, Severus." The young bushy haired woman had come nearer and now was kneeling beside Charlie. "Oh, who is this?" she ask while taking Stork out of Charlie's hand.

 

Severus was looking at her with big eyes. Was that Charlie's sister? She doesn't look like him. He was too occupied by staring at her to answer her question.

 

"Oh, of course I should have introduced myself first before you tell me what the name of your plushy is. I'm Hermione Granger, Severus. I also live at the Burrow, and Charlie has told me a lot about you. I was so excited to meet you that I couldn't sleep well last night and only a few minutes ago I was even a little worried that you wouldn't like me and got an odd feeling in my stomach from it." She offered Severus Stork to take him back.

 

Severus grabbed for Stork. "I also odd in stomach," Severus babbled.

 

"I thought so, but you don't have to worry about it. The moment you see Bree and Kenny, the feeling will go away. Mine also went away when I met you."

 

"I don't know." Severus still was a little scared and wished they could just come here to meet him, like the bushy haired woman had done.

 

As if she had read his mind, Hermione said, "Look, we can't all come over here to meet you. Molly has made this wonderful dinner. Do you like meat balls and spaghetti?"

 

Severus nodded and his stomach started to rumble.

 

"Oh, I can hear you like them." Hermione laughed.

 

It was a laugh that made Severus even more relaxed. She is really nice.

 

"I'm not really family, so I'm also only a guest. If we sit together we are not alone, what do you think?"

 

Severus looked thoughtfully at Minerva, who was standing with Albus a few feet away from him. "But Minwa and Albus also sit with us, right?"

 

"Of course they will, Severus," Hermione said and ruffled his hair.

 

"Okay, then I say we better not let my mother and her wonderful food wait any longer, Sev. Your stomach already announced that you're looking forward to getting something to eat," Charlie said while lifting Severus into his arms.

 

Severus immediately hugged Charlie which caused Stork's beak to poke in Charlie's ear. Luckily it was only out of plush and so Charlie decided to ignore it. He was just happy that Hermione had managed to convince Severus to come with them. Yeah, but what can she not do? She is just perfect.

 

Just in that moment Hermione laid one of her hands on his arm and smiled at him.

Oh my, one of those heart melting smiles again, he thought.

 

Hermione shifted Stork so that he wasn't poking Charlie any longer and then turned to lead them back to the fireplace.

 

Albus and Minerva were also very relieved that Severus had calmed down and was willing to come with them. The students will be back in a little more than two weeks, and during that time then they hoped Severus would feel comfortable with staying during the daytime at the Burrow. The sooner he met the Weasley's the better for all.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Please review and let me know if you are still interested!!!