Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Questions for answers

Harry wasn't hungry the following morning during breakfast and it had nothing to do with the previous night or the way Hermione was watching him worridly, but because he'd just got his schedule from McGonagall...he had double potions first up.

--

The dungeons were just as he'd remembered them and the same went for the potion's lab that was their classroom. Snape went about his usual dramatic entrance and gave a dull but firm introduction before ordering them about their tasks.

Harry stared so hard at the instructions in his book that he felt as though he was going to burn a hole in through the book. He followed each step carefully but his mind and gaze kept falling over to the professor that was currently scowling at Neville.

"Oops" Harry winced as he dropped the rat's spleen into the cauldron but had forgotten to stir it first and the liquid was now issuing a dark-coloured smoke.

"And just what do you think you're doing, Mr Potter?" Came the sneering voice of Snape when he approached and glanced into his cauldron with distaste.

"Five points from Gryffindor for you complete lack of focus" He added as he walked away and several Slytherins sniggered. But Harry bit his tongue and said nothing, only moving to rectify the potion before it became unsaveable.

--

Class ended sooner than Harry had hoped and he took his time to clear away his things.

"Harry..." Hermione tried to tug him away as he eyed Snape but he wasn't paying attention although the Potion's Master did notice her urgent attempts to make him leave and he kept shrugging her off.

"I'm not asking him yet" Harry whispered. "Just go, I'll meet you at lunch" He said and turned towards Snape.

"Class was dismissed five minutes ago, Potter" Snape said in annoyance as the entire class had left and still the irritating boy stood there as his father's carbon copy.

"I know sir, I was just..." Harry felt nervous but tried to pull out some of his Gryffindor bravery. "I wondered if I might ask you something, sir."

"Ask" Snape replied with obvious lack of interest as he waved his wand to clean the cauldrons and desks. "Well?" He turned back when Harry was yet to say anything.

"Do you have a family, sir?" Harry asked although that wasn't the question he'd intended to ask. Although the shocked look on his professor's face was almost amusing, if he wasn't still holding his wand so tightly.

"And what prude and inapropriate thread of thought posessed you to ask such an invasive question that doesn't concern you in even the slightest, Potter?" Snape snapped, mostly to give himself a few seconds to conceal his shock.

"I was just wondering sir, please forgive my rudeness. I'll be going now" Harry said and turned to exit the labs while Snape stood there in shock. The question was one thing but the way Harry had spoken so...respectfully? No that wasn't the right word, but whatever is was...Harry had been, for just a moment, someone else. Surely because James Potter would never have spoken with such curtesty or polietness.

Why it bothered Snape, he did not know. Although the answer that he chose not to give did bother him. He had loved Lily, he had risked his life for the light side and swore to protect Harry...and yet what did he have to show for all his good deeds and loyalty?

Severus Snape felt a pag of disapointment, sadness and anger all mixed in one as he knew that with everything in his entire life...he had nothing to show of it. No breakthrough in his area, no order of Merlins first class, no wealth of the unimaginable riches...no family or someone to love. And Harry had just reminded Snape of that horrible, sickening truth. He was convinced that anyone with the last names of "Longbottom" or "Potter" lived only to make his life worst than it already was.


"Well? What did you say to Professor Snape?" Hermione stared at him as Harry rejoined her and Ron while they sat down for lunch.

"I asked him if he had a family" Harry shrugged as though it was merely a matter of if Snape could tell one potion from another.

"Oh Harry..." Hermione groaned and rolled her eyes while Ron choked on his pumpkin juice.

"Blimey Harry! Why the bloody hell would you want to know if that greasy git had a family?" Ron gasped, having snored right through the important discussion the previous night.

"I hadn't intended to...but I was curious" Harry shrugged again and grabbed something to eat.

"And...what did he say?" Hermione asked but couldn't imagine Snape taking such a question lightly.

"The usual" Harry replied. "He used overly structured sentences including more than enough insults unfairly aimed at me while still being utterly useless" He said and Ron snorted in amusement.

"I can't believe you actually asked him such a question" Hermione rolled her eyes again.

"Me neither" Ron grinned. "I would have paid a thousand gallons to see the look on his face."

"I was quite amusing" Harry agreed while Hermione muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "boys".

"I'm still going to ask him" Harry added to Hermione.

"If he uses shampoo or conditioner?" Ron joked but noticed their serious expressions.

"No, if he would be my new father" Harry said in mild annoyance.

"Good one" Ron snorted again but froze at the exchange of looks between his two best friends. "You're serious? What did you get poisioned back there or something? Blimey Harry, what...?"

But Harry had left his seat and the Great Hall, leaving Hermione to quietly explain to Ron. But as he left he still heard the swore that came from the Gryffindor table so loudly all four houses stared at him and McGongall had deducted points upon entering right beside him.

--

Harry hadn't intended on going there, but as he arrived at the Owlery he found it to be empty besides the owls and a rather isolated place to be. He stepped just outside and sat on the ground, moving to stroke Hedwig's feathers when she fly over as she returned from a hunting trip.

He wasn't sure how long he sat there, because when he returned to the common room the sun was starting to set and the room was rather empty. After checking that it wasn't yet time for dinner, Harry headed upstairs to his dormitory and sat cross legged on his bed to think.

"Oh, there you are" Ron said as he walked in and saw Harry sitting there. "We've been looking for you for ages, mate."

"You found me" Harry stated obviously and sighed.

"You alright?" Ron asked.

"I'm not going crazy" Harry told him sternly. "You don't know what it's like, Ron. You have a family that would do anything for you and they'll always be there if you need them. I have nothing; I have no one like that. I need that someone, the adult figure that I could look up to and turn to...you don't know what it's like" He desperately wanted his best friend to believe him and accept it for his mind was never going to change.

Ron stared at him thoughtfully and then sat on the edge of his bed to ponder further and when he finally answered, Harry looked at him in interest.

"You're right mate...but Snape? Of all people, you pick that greasey git? He hates you, no offence" Ron shrugged.

"I know, I'm going to try and change that" Harry sighed in relief for his friend's reaction. "And it has to be him, he just...I know it's him."

"Alright, I still think you're crazy but...if you need anything" Ron attempted a smile.

"Thanks Ron" Harry returned the smile.

"What are friends for if not to join you in your most insane ideas?" Ron joked but nodded and left the room to find Hermione and let her know not to worry as he found Harry and they'd settled things.


It had taken a few more days, but by then his two best friends were doing whatever they could for Harry once he made it painfully clear that he wasn't going to drop this or ever change his mind. That was what had the three of them huddled in the common room one Saturday afternoon to come up with plans to improve the situation and Harry's chances of not being killed when he finally asked Snape the question he was burning to ask the man.

"Alright, so here's how we should do this" Hermione said as the boys looked to her for answers; they were all out of ideas. "We first work on getting Harry on Snape's good side, which that itself will be a challenge, but Harry you may need to work on your potions for starters..."

"That is kind of why I need him, Hermione" Harry deadpanned and let out a small groan as he knew what was coming next.

"Well I could help or you could at least read over your potions book so you know what you have to do for potions before you end up doing them" Hermione suggested. "Secondly we will need to work out when exactly Harry could ask him and how to go about doing it. "Will you be my father?" simply isn't going to work" She sighed and glanced from each boy before biting her lip. "And Harry....I still don't think he's going to agree but if we follow things through this way I think it will increase your chances."

"Thanks Hermione" Harry said. "I have a really good feeling about this, but...it won't be easy."

"No kidding" Ron said. "This is Snape we're talking about after all."

--

And so when Monday came around, the three had a mostly solid plan and as Harry looked back on it he realised that he had kind of rushed into things without any tactic and was more than greatful for his friend's help for without it he now understood that his previous chances where in the smallest of measurements.

They had potions after lunch, so Hermione was constantly reminding the boys of their plans and had even agreeded to sacrific some of her perfect marks to make sure Harry didn't ruin his potion and had it at least acceptable to keep on the Potions Mater's good side.

"And you can't be late for any class, you must get all your homework done as quickly as you can" Hermione was still saying as they walked down to the dungeons.

"I know" Harry said as Ron looked at him sympathetically.

"And Ron, you need to also keep an eye on Malfoy" Hermione added. "He might try to sabotage Harry's potion again."

"Stupid git" Ron nodded in agreement, glancing over at the blonde in question as they took their seats a little further to the front this time.

Harry frowned as he found himself jumping when Snape made his usual, dramatic entrance and strolled to the fornt of the classroom to begin the lesson.

Harry felt he was going to get a headache from all his concentration but thought it was going well so far since his potion looked and smelt as it was supposed to, thanks to Hermione correcting some of this cutting and telling him when to stir while Ron kept a lion's eye on Draco.

While they tried not to appear obvious in their actions, Snape did notice the way Hermione was constantly checking Harry's potion and how Ron seemed fixated on watching the Slytherins suspiciously. Harry's potions weren't as hopeless as they had been previously and Snape had a good idea why. But if it kept Harry passing his class and not destroying more of his ingedients, than so be it. It was Harry's reactions towards him that nerved him the most. The boy was no longer glaring and muttering about him when he was scowled at him and it was getting harder for Snape to deduct points or give him a detention for he hadn't been late in the past two weeks either and his homework wasn't as rushed-looking as it prevously appeared, even if the material was still rather dreadful.

But Snape did some investigating for his own pure curiosity and found that while Harry was clearly making a larger effort in potions, his other classes seemed to be lacking and suffering slightly more. It was bothering Snape because he had no idea what the boy could hope to gain from his recent actions, surely potions wasn't Harry's favourite subject...no, he was certain that it wasn't.


And it wasn't until one Thursday afternooon that Snape got his answer. As usual, he was doing his best to prevent further damage from Longbottom's cursed cauldron skills and had just finished cleaning the lab when he headed to his office and there was a knock at the door. It was almost as though someone had been waiting until he was settled in his office.

"Enter" Snape said and the door creaked open slowly to reveal Harry standing there and even Snape couldn't possibly miss how nervous he looked. He groaned inwardly, praying to Merlin that the boy hadn't just done something that would give him a week's worth of headaches.

"Potter" He spat and the boy took this as a cue to come inside the office, shutting the door behind him.

"Sorry sir, I was just wondering if I might ask you something?" Harry said and Snape flashed back to the last time he'd heard the boy say those too-polite words.

"I do hope that you are not intending to pry into my personal life again, Mr Potter" Snape frowned.

"No, sir...not really" Harry sighed with a slight blush and approached the desk. He placed his potion textbooks on the desk and then seated himself in the chair. "It is rather difficult for me to come to you with this sir, please let me explain before I ask."

Snape eyed Harry curiously and was so sure this boy was up to something...surely he would never come to him of all people if something was bothering him? But nonetheless, Snape was intrigued.

"Go on" Snape said, sitting down in his own chair to watch the boy, analyzing every movement, expression and word the boy gave off.

"Well, I've been doing some thinking over the summer" Harry began, staring down at his hands as he spoke as he was unable to just look up at the man. "And I know my grades aren't all that good, sir" He admitted and Snape wordlessly agreed with a nod.

"I know you may not think so, but I really do try and I want to do well...but I didn't know how I could improve" He swallowed and continued. "And then I thought that maybe if I had someone to motivate me, to encourage me to do better and help me when I'm stuck...then surely my grades would be a lot better."

Snape still didn't see how this could lead to any question involving him but for once, he bended to the boy's wishes and allowed him to speak without being interupted, that inaction seemed to have encouranged the boy to keep going with his mostly planned out speech.

"I was watching Ron, with his family I mean. And I noticed how his mother was warm and caring...she hugged him a lot and...well as much as I would like that, I think it's not what I need right now" Harry mumbled but Snape still understood what he'd said although he was more lost than ever now. The boy was wasting his time, but still his curiosity would not allow him to just kick the boy out...yet.

"It was Ron's father that had me thinking" Harry told him and finally glanced up, surprised to see an interested expression barely on the professor's face so he was at least listening to him. "I want a father, sir. A new one since my real father is...well, you know?"

Snape frowned at the mention of James Potter but still he didn't say a word.

"A father would be able to motivate me and give me advice. He could be someone I can trust, feel safe with and confide in for I don't have that in my life at all. I live with my Aunt and Uncle but they...well they don't really care about me, sir. And they are happiest when I'm locked away in my bedroom" Harry sighed, not wanting to say that but if it helped his chances than he would reveal anything.

"I guess what I'm trying to ask you , sir..." Harry looked at his hands again and felt his tongue drying and his throat constricting with nerves but if he didn't get this out now he may never get another chance.

"I...I want you to be my father" He said, barely gasping it out but Snape had heard it loud and clear. For the second time in his entire life, Severus Snape was utterly speechless.

"Sir?"

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to all my reviewers for the previous chapter.

What did you think of this chapter? Snape finally got his question, but what will be Harry's answer? :P